HAM RADIO W9FRZ STATUS
Search Fr. Z’s Blog
SHOPPING ONLINE? Please, always come here first!
I had to change the way that people go to amazon to buy things because... you know... why make it easy?. So, just click the link below. Once you're in, you're good to shop.
Try AmazonFresh Free Trial
Shop Amazon Gold Box - New Deals. Everyday
Shop Amazon Gift Cards - Instant Delivery or Free One-Day Shipping
Try Prime Discounted Monthly Offering
And you do need a Kindle! - HERE
About this blog…
“This blog is like a fusion of the Baroque ‘salon’ with its well-tuned harpsichord around which polite society gathered for entertainment and edification and, on the other hand, a Wild West “saloon” with its out-of-tune piano and swinging doors, where everyone has a gun and something to say. Nevertheless, we try to point our discussions back to what it is to be Catholic in this increasingly difficult age, to love God, and how to get to heaven.” – Fr. Z
Coat of Arms by D Burkart
Do you want to show some appreciation?
Send Snail Mail to Fr. Z
YOUR RECENT COMMENTS
- Imrahil: I think two meals from one book would belong into such a list, viz.: i) A Long-Expec ted Party, in: The Lord of the Rings, by J. R. R. Tolkien ii) Of Herbs and Stewed Rabbit, in: The Lord...
- Mariana2: The Hobbits at Farmer MaggotR 17;s …a generous supper was laid on the large table̷ 0;There was beer in plenty, and a mighty dish of mushrooms and bacon, besides much other...
- Mariana2: The Tale of Peter Rabbit. I am sorry to say that Peter was not very well during the evening. His mother put him to bed, and made some camomile tea; and she gave a dose of it to Peter!...
- Gab: Very true, Spinmamma. If we Catholics do not pray and do penance for our priests, then who will?
- Gab: “Thu s, while Francis can’t quite command that divorced and remarried couples can receive communion, he can say it in as many words when he attacks the bureaucrac y that has been block...
- Pius Admirabilis: @Emilio: You are so right! I never watched a whole lot of Papal Masses, but when it was Sunday Easter, I always sat before the TV, and I would cry when Benedict celebrated Mass....
- Fr. John Zuhlsdorf: Everyone: It could be helpful to read the ENTIRE Breitbart piece, especially the comments at the ver end, which help to put Francis 217; way of speaking into perspectiv e....
- Clinton R.: Sigh. Again Pope Francis mocks and thumbs his nose at tradition, his favorite target. For a man whose office is to uphold and preserve the Catholic Faith, it seems like he never fails...
- Spinmamma: All too true. How eager are the Catholic haters to pile their hatred on the body of Christ instead of investigat ing the guilty individual s(who, as you rightly point out, are the ones...
- Spinmamma: I was waiting for you to address this latest astonishin g statement from our Pope. You did not disappoint . What a sanity saver you are, dear Father Z. So often when I am full of dismay...
- HvonBlumenthal: It is unfortunat e that the same word “tradition ” is used as a technical term by the church to refer to the means by which Catholic truth is passed on, and a a colloquial term in...
- Augustine Thompson O.P.: “Liv ing like Jesus demands the “courage of renunciati on a willingnes s to abandon traditions that are dear to us.” Yes, I think the Holy Father is exactly...
- Midwest St. Michael: I simply pray for PF anymore. (briefly, along with BXVI) Everything else seems so… Jesuitical to me. So, I just pray and pay little attention to him. Because 230; I...
- Hidden One: Who wrote this speech?
- Hidden One: The way they use the term “chu rch” , while wrong, is the same way that thousands upon thousands if not millions of Catholics use it, all across the ‘ide ologi...
- Bonaventurian: Is he trying to start a schism? Because this is how you start a schism.
- Lurker 59: The ChurchR 17;s tradition is the vehicle by which we receive ChristR 17;s mercy and love for us. If we do not receive the tradition of the Faith from the Church as from a mother...
- ThePapalCount: What could be possibly be next? I have a papal knighthood and I feel compelled to renounce it and send back the insignia. Fr Z enjoy Rome to the fullest.
- Emilio: For my own spiritual good, I cannot bear to tune into what Pope Francis says any more, or even follow Papal Masses and travels, something that brought joy to my life to do before him. I...
- sggreener: We’v e been letting go of “tra ditions 221; since VII. Look where that has gotten us!
- Gab: And to which traditions is the Pope referring? Ecclesiast ical or Apostolic traditions ? Or both? What fresh hell is this that is about to be unleashed on the Mystical Body?
- SanSan: I’m once again scandalize d. Sigh. Lord have mercy.
- Benedict Joseph: He has turned a corner. I am left without words and unable to comment.
- Gab: What is going on? Has the Pope completely forgotten the Gospels? My heart aches. Our Lady of Revelation s, pray for us.
- MrsAnchor: http://wdt prs.com/bl og/wp-cont ent/upload s/2019/05/ img_0809.j pg Hoping this photo shows. There are layers of fabric underneath the Black & Colored Damask. To the left there’s a...
CLICK and say your daily offerings!
- 10 Great Meals In Literature
- Francis: Church Must Learn to Abandon Old ‘Traditions’
- Editorial: Church leaders, to be “transparent”, are still abusers. Of priests.
- ASK FATHER: Little daughter interested in the Mass
- PARIS: 500 undocumented Africans stormed, seized Terminal 2 of CDG airport
- Rome Day 4: Of crashing ceilings, weeping parents, and the dust and hearts of saints
- @Church_Militant report on a twisted priest-predator has a familiar ring
- Card. Müller on deaconettes. “No.”
- Rome Day 3: Roman trash talk, perspiration, and prostitutes – UPDATED
- Requests for GREGORIAN MASSES and PRIESTS who can say them
- Persecuted Fr. Kalchik responds to homosexualist Jesuit Martin
- Anniversary of a turning point in Christian history
- NEW FROM MITSUI! Our Lady Untier of Knots
- Stupid angry lib (I know, tautology) at The Atlantic against priesthood
- Rome Day 1-2: Views, fabrics and eats
- My View For Awhile: All Roads Edition
- WDTPRS – 4th Sunday after Easter (1962MR): The smoke of Satan
- WDTPRS – 5th Sunday of Easter: The prayer’s very word order reveals God’s love
- CQ CQ CQ Ham Radio Saturday: QSL Cards and some firsts
- VIDEO: Diaconate Ordination of the the Ordinariate of the Chair of St. Peter @CSPOrd
- Donations, PayPal, alternatives, and you
- Irish Ass. of Catholic Priests in toddler meltdown mode against Francis over no women deacons
- CQ CQ CQ Ham Radio Thursday: ZedNet, my first pile up, and remote from GITMO and… Vatican City?
- GERMANY: Pro-women’s ordination group: “We want to take Mary off her pedestal”
- What’s up at the southern border of these USA
- Lib liturgy positivists force people to stand after Communion
- Student ‘steals’ pro-life sign on camera, gets arrested, but she’s the victim!
- Benedict XVI’s recent essay is a subtle correction of Amoris laetitia ch. 8
- 15-18 July 2019: East Coast Priest Conference in Wheeling, WV – looks good!
- NEW BOOK from Martin Mosebach – Subversive Catholicism: Papacy, Liturgy, Church
Let us pray…
Grant unto thy Church, we beseech Thee, O merciful God, that She, being gathered together by the Holy Ghost, may be in no wise troubled by attack from her foes. O God, who by sin art offended and by penance pacified, mercifully regard the prayers of Thy people making supplication unto Thee,and turn away the scourges of Thine anger which we deserve for our sins. Almighty and Everlasting God, in whose Hand are the power and the government of every realm: look down upon and help the Christian people that the heathen nations who trust in the fierceness of their own might may be crushed by the power of thine Arm. Through our Lord Jesus Christ, Thy Son, who liveth and reigneth with Thee in the unity of the Holy Ghost, God, world without end. R. Amen.
This blog has to earn its keep!
PLEASE subscribe if it is useful.
That way I have steady income I can plan on, and you wind up regularly on my list of benefactors for whom I pray and for whom I periodically say Holy Mass.
For a one time donation...
I set up a
CONTINUE TO GIVE
account, which functions rather like PayPal. Some of you use it. Here is a QCode you can use with your smart phones. Try it!
Also, to receive a link to donate via Continue To Give using your smart phone SEND MESSAGE:
4827563 TO: 715-803-4772 (USA)
Some donations also come through CHASE. That works well. I don't think they take any percentage as fees.
Yes, Fr. Z is taking ads…
A great hymnal…
Because it matters what children read…
I carry one of these super-strong rosaries in my spare mag pouch! The Swiss Guards have them too!
My "challenge coin" for my 25th anniversary of ordination in 2016.
Want one? I do exchanges with military and LEOs, etc. and you can make a donation.
PLEASE RESPOND. Pretty pleeeease?Loading ...
WDTPRS POLLLoading ...
Fr. Z’s stuff is everywhere
Help support Fr. Z’s Gospel of Life work at no cost to you. Do you need a Real Estate Agent? Calling these people is the FIRST thing you should do!
GREAT causes to support
Help Monks in Wyoming (coffee – UPDATED LINK) and Norcia (beer) and the wonderful "Soap Sisters" of Summit, NJ!
Please follow me on Twitter!
If you travel internationally, this is a super useful gizmo for your mobile internet data. I use one. If you get one through my link, I get data rewards.
Nota bene: I do not answer these numbers or this Skype address. You won't get me "live". I check for messages regularly.
020 8133 4535
Tag Archives: vernacular
ASK FATHER: Are blessings, holy water, etc., less effective if Latin isn’t used? Wherein Fr. Z rants.
From a reader… who picked up on something I wrote about blessings and holy water in the traditional form compared to the new, post-Conciliar form… HERE QUAERITUR: “The exorcisms of the salt and water are to be done in Latin.” … Continue reading
The penny dropped for another musician. At increasingly useful Crisis today I read a piece by a musician about the state of church music today. His summary: disaster resulted from the degradation of sacred worship in Latin. Of course it … Continue reading
Pope Francis: modernity, vernacular stirred up many problems – music “mediocre, superficial and banal”
Nothing will come of this, of course, but it is nice to hear it from Pope Francis. Alas, Benedict XVI and John Paul II said similar things about music and liberals ignored them, too. Via Vatican Radio [which is going to … Continue reading
I saw a mordantly amusing comment from Fr. Hunwicke over at his blog HERE. He mused about the recent 50th anniversary of Paul VI going to a Roman parish to say Mass in Italian. Perpend. My emphases and added … Continue reading
Over at NLM my friend Gregory DiPippo has a fine essay with reflections on the imposition of the vernacular for Holy Mass back in 1969/70. This topic has been on my mind lately, given that we have been at this … Continue reading
Two cheers for ICEL! I was sent this by an ICEL insider: ICEL was founded in St Peter’s Basilica fifty years ago today. The occasion will be marked by a Solemn Mass at the Altar of the Chair at 5pm, … Continue reading
Under another entry HERE I deal with the question of vernacular readings during the Low Mass of the Extraordinary Form. A long-time reader and supporter of this blog suggested a poll. Here are a couple POLLS coming at the question … Continue reading
From a reader: We have a priest that insists on reading the epistle & gospel in the vernacular for each Low Mass only. No one cares for it and it doesn’t even sound right. It impacts the integrity and fluidity … Continue reading
From a reader: I am considering starting an EF daily Mass in my parish. I am considering offering it as per usual with the exeption of using the vernacular for the propers (introit, collect, gradual, communion, post communion) and the … Continue reading
From a reader: I went to Confession the other day before a Tridentine Mass, and the confessor said the prayers of absolution in Latin. I know this is permitted, but is it encouraged in the same way as Latin in … Continue reading
Here is something for us all to think about as we approach the Year of Faith. From the UK’s best Catholic weekly, The Catholic Herald, comes this good reflection. It is on their regular site, but can be found in … Continue reading
There was some controversy (HERE) about the position of the USA’s Personal Ordinariate of the Chair of St. Peter for former Anglicans in communion with Rome concerning the Extraordinary Form of the Roman Rite. The head of the US Ordinariate, Msgr. Jeffrey … Continue reading
It fascinates me how often questions on a similar idea come in at the same time. From a priest and from a student (edited): Here in Ireland, it sometimes happens that, when Mass is being celebrated in English, some parts … Continue reading
From a reader: I know this is not the same as an official dubium to the PCED, but your view would be appreciated. (I ask these questions because of the situations at two different parishes in the Archdiocese of ___ … Continue reading