Search Fr. Z’s Blog
SHOPPING ONLINE? Please, always come here first!
Enter Amazon through my link. Use the search bar below. Fr Z will get a small percentage of what you spend.
Here's Fr. Z's "catholic" search for Amazon: US HERE - UK HERE And you do need a Kindle! - HERE
“This blog is like a fusion of the Baroque ‘salon’ with its well-tuned harpsichord around which polite society gathered for entertainment and edification and, on the other hand, a Wild West “saloon” with its out-of-tune piano and swinging doors, where everyone has a gun and something to say. Nevertheless, we try to point our discussions back to what it is to be Catholic in this increasingly difficult age, to love God, and how to get to heaven.” – Fr. Z
YOUR RECENT COMMENTS
- yatzer: As of this morning, the report is Ireland is gone down the bloody path to abortion.
- robtbrown: In addition to the microphone , there now is the obsession with illuminati ng every corner of every church. There was probably the need to clean Chartres Cathedral, but there also seemed...
- capchoirgirl: The mic actually isn’ t bad for music if used appropriat ely. Very few people are blessed with the ability to sing clearly and project well. The microphone helps them get over...
- Amerikaner: Thanks for the answer, Fr Z!!
- JustaSinner: The man who shouldR 17;ve been Pope. Then again God may be slightly peeved with humanity 8217;s ambivalenc e towards Him and is in Lesson Teaching Mode ™.
- Ben Kenobi: “it is going to be the focus of state sponsored attacks on the Church and will probably, and unfortunat ely, be quite effective. ” This is nothing new. The state has always...
- Ben Kenobi: “app ointment might be best, even necessary: if the person is handicappe d in some way that requires accommodat ion” Very true. I go by appointmen t exclusivel y for this...
- Ben Kenobi: “He said if Protestant s wished to receive holy Communion in Catholic churches then they should become Catholics. ” Amen. I would not be Catholic without these words.
- Grant M: ‘On Saturday, December 5th , Judith went to Mass as usual at the convent. She could not believe her eyes or ears. The altar had been moved forward by four or five feet. The taberna...
- MaryB435: Any chance there will be a series of articles asking: “Wha t Did the Pope Really Say?” ;
- Spinmamma: Such beautiful, rich music and on such a tiny old keyboard. Amazing.
- Charivari Rob: Well, polls are closed, but counting doesn̵ 7;t happen until Saturday morning – so it’s not too late. No prayer is without some benefit. Personally , a friend made me...
- Charles E Flynn: @MrsMacD: Re: “My poor little ones that hadn’t seen a Novus Ordo Mass since they were very little were bewildered and pointed out the heresies in his sermon. 221; That is,...
- LeeGilbert: Fr Z, Marshall McLuhan writes and you quote: “Lat in is a very ‘cool’ language, in which whispers and murmurs play an important role.̶ 1; Father, do you buy this? For myself,...
- RichR: The Chrism Mass is the one time (besides an Ordination Mass) during the liturgical year when all the sacred ministers gather round the Bishop in unity. I think it is highly symbolic that...
- jerome_in_ky: “Hom osexuality ” is not in the genes. Neither is “het erosexuali ty”. Only the genetic code for sex organs and their developmen t in puberty are in the genes....
- Kathleen10: We were introduced to Cardinal Arinze through EWTN, when it was unabashedl y Catholic and had many fantastic priests and bishops teaching actual Catholicis m, and of course, Mother...
- majuscule: Interestin g about the microphone . The church I attend is quite small, yet we have a PA system. It does help to hear the readers when they have soft voices. Or perhaps it encoura...
- Felipe: Amen!
- Anita Moore, O.P.(lay): The mic is also bad for music. It makes singers lazy, and makes bad singing (since we are too egalitaria n to weed out bad singers) loud. Modern choir directors have a...
- jhayes: robert brown, those whose homosexual tendencies are not “dee ply-rooted ” “Dee p-seated 8221; is the term used in the English version of the 2005 Vatican stateme...
- Fr. Andrew: Thinking of, then, Cardinal Ratzinger& #8217;s idea of reintroduc ing aspects of the silent canon in Spirit of the Liturgy, I thought he missed the possibilit y of removing the microp...
- kat: May i also recommend My Catholic Faith as an excellent household resource to learn the Faith and look up topics? Easily readable and understand able for tweens and teens and adults! A great...
- monstrance: Or – Just the biggest blast torch the universe has ever witnessed in the hand of the Almighty. Of course, delegated to one of His Ferocious Angels.
- MrsMacD: Speaking of a microphone Mass; I went to a parish a couple weeks ago where there were two screens up in the sanctuary (our van was in the shop, we walked to town for Mass). The priest...
CLICK and say your daily offerings!
- MADISON 31 May – Corpus Christi – Pontifical Mass at the Throne and Procession
- Concerning innovations
- ASK FATHER: Deacons vesting in dalmatics for concelebrations
- ASK FATHER: How do we get the TLM where we are?
- Card. Arinze: If you want Communion, become a Catholic
- URGENT PRAYER – IRELAND
- ASK FATHER: When to make an appointment for confession
- ASK FATHER: Sorting out confusing, contradictory messages from priests
- Wherein Fr. Z assigns some worthwhile reading
- Met “Gay-la” and new movie. Coincidence? I think not.
- ASK FATHER: Forgetting sins during confession
- Day Of Prayer For The Church In China
- Pope Francis on homosexual seminarians: This bridge is closed!
- My View For Awhile: Urban Devastation Edition
- Does Pope Francis have a “long game” strategy?
- Interview about Honduran Card. Rodriguez Maradiaga
- Canadian Jesuit Archbp. Prendergast comments on crazy German bishops’ scheme
- Pope’s words about God making someone “gay”
- Some cool stuff, old and new, in Rome and Detroit
- @Card_R_Sarah terrific sermon for Pentecost and pilgrimage
- A Bishop calls on his brother Bishops to celebrate the Traditional Pontifical Mass, TLM
- “I originally sent you this story 8 years ago, for the brick by brick file…” UPDATE
- “Where there is no temple there shall be no homes.”
- Pastor Iuventus on the appalling Met “Gay-la”
- Chilling – probably correct – explanation of mass school shootings
- A Pentecost Monday lesson: “And Paul VI wept.”
- WDTPRS – Pentecost Sunday: that strong stable edge
- Your Sunday Sermon Notes
- BACK IN PRINT! The Heresy of Formlessness
- My View For Awhile: Creston Edition
Let us pray…
Grant unto thy Church, we beseech Thee, O merciful God, that She, being gathered together by the Holy Ghost, may be in no wise troubled by attack from her foes. O God, who by sin art offended and by penance pacified, mercifully regard the prayers of Thy people making supplication unto Thee,and turn away the scourges of Thine anger which we deserve for our sins. Almighty and Everlasting God, in whose Hand are the power and the government of every realm: look down upon and help the Christian people that the heathen nations who trust in the fierceness of their own might may be crushed by the power of thine Arm. Through our Lord Jesus Christ, Thy Son, who liveth and reigneth with Thee in the unity of the Holy Ghost, God, world without end. R. Amen.
My "challenge coin" for my 25th anniversary of ordination in 2016.
Want one? I do exchanges with military and LEOs, etc. and you can make a donation.
Coat of Arms by D Burkart
I travel a good deal. As I get older, it takes more of a toll. My main airline - sigh - is Delta. Were I to get some Gift Cards for Delta, I could more easily upgrade for longer flights. I'm just sayin'. I'd be much obliged. HERE
New miscellaneous releases and events
Yes, Fr. Z is taking ads…
A great hymnal…
Because it matters what children read…
I carry one of these super-strong rosaries in my spare mag pouch! The Swiss Guards have them too!
Because you don’t know when you are going to need to move fast or get along without the supermarket…
PLEASE RESPOND. Pretty pleeeease?Loading ...
WDTPRS POLLLoading ...
Fr. Z’s stuff is everywhere
Help support Fr. Z’s Gospel of Life work at no cost to you. Do you need a Real Estate Agent? Calling these people is the FIRST thing you should do!
GREAT causes to support
Help Monks in Wyoming (coffee – UPDATED LINK) and Norcia (beer) and the wonderful "Soap Sisters" of Summit, NJ!
Please follow me on Twitter!
If you travel internationally, this is a super useful gizmo for your mobile internet data. I use one. If you get one through my link, I get data rewards.
A book by an old friend…
Tag Archives: vocations
Since there is a great deal of liberal hooting at the latest women religious, LCWR, Bus-Nun type goat rodeo, let’s turn the clock back a bit and look at something at Religion and Politics about the Nashville Dominicans.
The article is longish, … Continue reading
From a reader:
Diocese of Albany is asking all Mass attendees to participate in ritual of extending our arms and praying and blessing the priest who just said Mass. Part of their “Called by Name” vocations pitch. I didn’t hold up … Continue reading
Friar by friar.
Here’s something to cheer the heart.
The Official Studentate Photo for the Dominican Province of St. Joseph
These are the men in the Easter Province of the USA.
Vocations. It’s not rocket science.
Speaking of vocations…
… how about supporting even more … Continue reading
The September Ember Days (Wed, Fri, Sat) traditionally follow the Feast of the Exaltation of the Holy Cross (14 September).
These days were penitential in spirit. They were also traditional times for ordinations.
If nothing else, pray during these Ember Days in … Continue reading
Please use the sharing buttons! Thanks!
Here is a prayer that perhaps parish priests will pick up and use at all Sunday and Holy Day Masses, perhaps immediately after the Gospel:
LEADER: Please kneel for our prayer for vocations.
ALL: O God, we … Continue reading
From a reader:
Whilst on holiday in Bournemouth, UK I called into one of the RC churches to say a few prayers. It seemed as though Mass was about to begin but, to my great shock, a lay woman went up … Continue reading
From a reader:
I need to thank you for encouraging us all to attend the EF of the mass. Although there is no EF mass within a few hours drive of where I live (so sad, I know) I have been … Continue reading
From a reader:
We have a shortage of priests in our diocese in England, not so short that we can’t have Sunday Mass. but occasionally weekday Mass might not be available in a Parish. When are these services of Word and … Continue reading
Yet another reason to thank Pope Benedict for Summorum Pontificum:
A long-time reader and participant (and donor) sent an alert about the following, with this comment:
Interesting that CNS included a segment on Tradition starting at 2:15, featuring one Michael Hendershott of … Continue reading