Search Fr. Z’s Blog
SHOPPING ONLINE? Please, always come here first!
Enter Amazon through my link. Use the search bar below. Fr Z will get a small percentage of what you spend.
Here's Fr. Z's "catholic" search for Amazon: US HERE - UK HERE And you do need a Kindle! - HERE
“This blog is like a fusion of the Baroque ‘salon’ with its well-tuned harpsichord around which polite society gathered for entertainment and edification and, on the other hand, a Wild West “saloon” with its out-of-tune piano and swinging doors, where everyone has a gun and something to say. Nevertheless, we try to point our discussions back to what it is to be Catholic in this increasingly difficult age, to love God, and how to get to heaven.” – Fr. Z
Coat of Arms by D Burkart
YOUR RECENT COMMENTS
- adriennep: Yes, even in public schools in the 1960s, Latin was still taught and required for the really smart students, because it was the standard for true education. Even in 1969 Berkeley High....
- teomatteo: ” he has only weakened what little hope LGBTQ Catholics still have for his pontificat e.”& #8211;Jami e The lady doth whineth too much. I heard of a Q-gospel but never heard of no...
- HvonBlumenthal: I was always at the top of my elementary japanese class because the Japanese use of particles placed after the nouns they govern seemed to me not dissimilar to case endings. Thus:...
- ies0716: I first stumbled upon this blog sometime in 2009, if I remember correctly. My wife and I had just gotten married and had started attending St. Agnes in St. Paul, MN (Fr. Z’s home...
- Fr. John Zuhlsdorf: I am really touched people what people have written here. It is good to know that your work makes a difference .
- SanSan: Believe it or not, I went to public school in Southern California (back in the day when CA schools were #1 in the World), and I was required to take Latin I & II during my junior and...
- Philomena Mary: Happy blog anniversar y, Father! I am almost certain I would not be Catholic without your blog – as back in early 2006 it was the first resource I stumbled on when I was...
- Reflector: And one has to greet the horse in particular in spring – “ver e”. There are two stories of an Austrian Bishop who used to speak Latin with his Master of Ceremonies in...
- Kansan: I listen to each ADVENTCAzT 2018 more than once a day. It soothes and reminds me where I was headed. In the secular rush of the season, each one calms my brain. Thank you!
- adriennep: Priests should know Latin because we all came from a classical culture where a true education meant knowing Latin and Greek, along with the study of philosophy , theology, and history...
- Unwilling: There is the old story (via St Boniface d.754) of a priest conferring the Sacrament of Baptism using the words “Bap tizo te in nomine patria et filia et spiritu sancta. 221; It...
- Kathleen10: I’m positive we don’ t stop and consider how much work and effort a blog is. Every day you must feel the responsibi lity to post. It’s like taking care of a child that...
- Greg Hlatky: “In nomine Patris et Filiae et Spiritus SanctiR 30;”
- SanSan: Happy Birthday to your Blog! I have learned so much over the years from you Father Z. You help with the balancing of the Barque of Peter. I love my faith. I love the Mass of the Ages. I...
- SKAY: Thank you Father Z. I listen daily.
- defenderofTruth: Father Z, Congrats on the anniversar y/birthday of this endeavor. Your work has truly blessed me, as it has been instrument al in our work to reestablis h Tradition in this neck of...
- Mariana2: Thanks, Father! Great stuff!
- Gil Garza: Congratula tions, Fr. Z on another year of faithful service on the Interwebs! Thank you for sharing the Gospel and enduring many difficulti es and contradict ions. May God grant you many...
- jaykay: HvonBlumen thal: Hold the horses. I clearly meant “rot ten” in the sense of unsound, as in an unsound structure. Not rotten as in filthy – we knew it was that, altho...
- Markus: Fr. Z, “But I know of great graces that came from those days of Compuserve .” Yes, my wife converted in ’97 (the forum answered a lot of her questions that I could not)....
- HvonBlumenthal: Seriously? You think nobody knew? Not after Hungary 1956, the Bay of Pigs, the Prague Spring, and Solzhenits yn? And now, in our own day, seriously, do you think nobody knows what...
- CaliCatholicGuy: Thank you so much for working so hard for us, your virtual parishione rs after all these years. I thank God that I found the Ask Father? Questionbo x so many years ago and then...
- JamesA: I don’ t know exactly when I first found the blog, Father, but it was very early on, and you accompanie d me as a disillusio ned Anglican to Confirmati on in 2009 and beyond. You have...
- Dimitri_Cavalli: To paraphrase a famous film, “Ano ther Quaalude, and they’ ;ll love the Pope again.R 21;
- Dismas: Considerin g that the ebola virus is now running uncontaine d in a major city, anything goes for how the Lord sorts this mess out, and how long it takes.
CLICK and say your daily offerings!
- Of getting Latin wrong, corrections, and of priests and their Latin or lack thereof
- ADVENTCAzT 2018 08: Egocentrics and God’s gifts
- A conflicted Fishwrap v. Francis on homosexuals in seminary and priesthood
- On this day in 2005 …
- Help a young entrepreneur!
- ADVENTCAzT 2018 07: “If she had not given her ‘Fiat!’…”
- 7 Dec – Titanic, intriguing St Ambrose of Milan, bishop and doctor
- UPDATE on injuries and recovery with heartfelt thanks
- Solemn Requiem for @BishopMorlino in @MadisonDiocese
- ADVENTCAzT 2018 06: Our Lord will appear in His humanity so that He can be seen by the just and the wicked
- VIDEO – Funeral of @BishopMorlino of @MadisonDiocese
- Latin Mass Society of England & Wales @latinmassuk – Re-upping!
- Recent Registration
- ADVENTCAzT 2018 05: The priest, John the Baptist, points toward Jesus
- New art from Daniel MITSUI – great gift idea
- After the funeral of @BishopMorlino of @MadisonDiocese
- ASK FATHER: Can we cook with or drink Holy Water?
- ADVENTCAzT 2018 04: Your God of the Second Chance
- Sending snail-mail 2018 Christmas cards
- TAMPA: A TLM at a Jesuit school?!?
- The Exequies for @BishopMorlino in @MadisonDiocese
- ADVENTCAzT 2018 03: “take heed of the example of the prince of rebellion”
- And now a message from fictional priest Fr. Charles “Chuck” O’Malley
- ADVENTCAzT 2018 02: The time of silent apostasy
- My View For Awhile: Au revoir Edition
- ADVENTCAzT 2018 01: Exceeding great Love
- ASK FATHER: Why should a Protestant convert and join the Catholic Church?
- Francis: Homosexuals “should not be accepted into the ministry or consecrated life.”
- Prayer Request from Fr. Z – UPDATE
- ADVENTCAzT 2018 00: The mysteries don’t change, but each year we are different
Let us pray…
Grant unto thy Church, we beseech Thee, O merciful God, that She, being gathered together by the Holy Ghost, may be in no wise troubled by attack from her foes. O God, who by sin art offended and by penance pacified, mercifully regard the prayers of Thy people making supplication unto Thee,and turn away the scourges of Thine anger which we deserve for our sins. Almighty and Everlasting God, in whose Hand are the power and the government of every realm: look down upon and help the Christian people that the heathen nations who trust in the fierceness of their own might may be crushed by the power of thine Arm. Through our Lord Jesus Christ, Thy Son, who liveth and reigneth with Thee in the unity of the Holy Ghost, God, world without end. R. Amen.
This blog has to earn its keep!
New miscellaneous releases and events
Yes, Fr. Z is taking ads…
A great hymnal…
Because it matters what children read…
I carry one of these super-strong rosaries in my spare mag pouch! The Swiss Guards have them too!
My "challenge coin" for my 25th anniversary of ordination in 2016.
Want one? I do exchanges with military and LEOs, etc. and you can make a donation.
Because you don’t know when you are going to need to move fast or get along without the supermarket…
PLEASE RESPOND. Pretty pleeeease?Loading ...
WDTPRS POLLLoading ...
Fr. Z’s stuff is everywhere
Help support Fr. Z’s Gospel of Life work at no cost to you. Do you need a Real Estate Agent? Calling these people is the FIRST thing you should do!
GREAT causes to support
Help Monks in Wyoming (coffee – UPDATED LINK) and Norcia (beer) and the wonderful "Soap Sisters" of Summit, NJ!
Please follow me on Twitter!
If you travel internationally, this is a super useful gizmo for your mobile internet data. I use one. If you get one through my link, I get data rewards.
Tag Archives: White House
I had posted a link to 11 things that you won’t see reported in the MSM about the new encyclical Laudato si‘.
Now we have a video clip of White House spokesman Josh Ernest saying that he hadn’t seen the pro-life language … Continue reading
I saw an e-cigarette for the first time the other day. At least I saw one close up and knew what it was. A little strange. Apparently they help people stop smoking. That’s good, right?
Lo and behold, today I had … Continue reading
More great advice from the Obama Administration today.
On the heels of a shooting at a Catholic Church in Utah (HERE), I spotted at RNS, that the White House has issued some advice for how to deal with shootings at churches: … Continue reading
I must have walked through the wrong door and into Bearded-Spock Universe.
This isn’t a joke. Here is the link to the site of the White House.
Read the language carefully.
It’s supposed to be “Religious Freedom Day”, but the text starts out … Continue reading
Yesterday I posted about a petition to the White House to get the Catholic Church declared a “hate group” because of Catholic teaching on the instrinsic evil of homosexual acts. Never mind that the Church has not said that homosexual … Continue reading
From EWTN News:
White House petitioned to label Catholic Church a ‘hate group’
By Michelle Bauman
An online petition asking the White House to designate the Catholic Church as a “hate group” for its views on marriage is drawing criticism for generating unjust … Continue reading
QUAERITUR: If no one is supposed to hurt Muslim feelings, why does the Obama campaign brag about killing OBL?
I was just out running errands and while surfing around on the radio, I heard some of Rush’s show, which I don’t usually hear during the day.
A first time caller to any show, who sounded like an older woman, made … Continue reading
So, The First Gay President invites some homosexual activists to the White House.
What could possibly go wrong?
I saw this at The Weekly Standard:
Activists Take Out Frustration on … Ronald Reagan
Victor Fiorillo reports for Phillymag.com:
Last Friday, an attaché of important gay … Continue reading
From the Washington Free Beacon:
The White House Visitors Office requires that an unborn child—still residing in utero—must be counted as a full human being when its parents register for a White House tour, according to documents obtained by the Washington … Continue reading
From The Catholic League:
Catholic League president Bill Donohue comments as follows:
The Catholic left is so deep in the tank for Obama that they are working publicly to undermine the bishops. First a little background. [cf Magisterium of Nuns]
On March 2, … Continue reading
“We did not ask for this fight, but we will not run from it.”
Thus, Card. Dolan about the latest insult tossed our way by the Obama Administration.
Cardinal: Obama Admin Lectured Bishops on Catholic Teaching
by Steven Ertelt
Cardinal Timothy Dolan, the … Continue reading
Abortion is big business. Merchants of death such as Planned Parenthood, and now apparently the White House, know this. Therefore they promote promiscuity, which will lead to more abortions which will produce more profits. It isn’t difficult. As part of … Continue reading
Pres. Obama has attacked the 1st Amendment. He is trying to tell the Church what it must do in a matter of conscience based on natural law, reason, and doctrine.
The first clause of the 1st Amendment concerns freedom of … Continue reading
The Archbishop of Philadelphia, Most Rev. Charles Chaput, has a good opinion piece in the Philadelphia Inquirer about Pres. Obama’s modifications of his attack on the 1st Amendment (“Plan B”). Read the whole thing, but here is an excerpt from … Continue reading
Jack Lew, White House Chief of Staff, was on Fox News Sunday with Chris Wallace. He was also on Meet The Press.
It was a stark lesson in exactly what I have been talking about with my phrase “The Magisterium of … Continue reading