Search Fr. Z’s Blog
SHOPPING ONLINE? Please, always come here first!
Enter Amazon through my link. Use the search bar below. Fr Z will get a small percentage of what you spend.
Here's Fr. Z's "catholic" search for Amazon: US HERE - UK HERE And you do need a Kindle! - HERE
“This blog is like a fusion of the Baroque ‘salon’ with its well-tuned harpsichord around which polite society gathered for entertainment and edification and, on the other hand, a Wild West “saloon” with its out-of-tune piano and swinging doors, where everyone has a gun and something to say. Nevertheless, we try to point our discussions back to what it is to be Catholic in this increasingly difficult age, to love God, and how to get to heaven.” – Fr. Z
Coat of Arms by D Burkart
Send Snail Mail to Fr. Z
YOUR RECENT COMMENTS
- Komo: Funny, no mention of times available for confession . Oh, that’ ;s right – it’s an outdated sacrament.
- dbf223: “No faithful priest deserves this parish. 221; I concur. There are probably a whole host of other issues the bishop would have to sort through to even begin to address this situa...
- Diana: There are some beautiful scapulars on Etsy, too. I bought some here: https://ww w.etsy.com /shop/InGo ldofOphir? ref=l2-sho pheader-na me
- Massachusetts Catholic: If the archdioces e in St Paul and Minneapoli s has only one parish like this, consider yourself blessed. There are about five parishes like this in the archdioces e of...
- Geoffrey: Thank you for this timely post! My Brown Scapular gave ‘way a few months ago, and I have been at pains finding something similar. It was a somewhat “hea vy” scapul...
- LarryW2LJ: Why have a child baptized if you KNOW your lifestyle is in direct conflict with the Catholic faith and you know you have no intentions of bringing up said child in adherence with that...
- Sawyer: Not that it matters for the main topic, but the “chu rch” setup with the screens looks temporary, like it’s in a gymnasium or a hall. Is the church building being renova...
- Henry Edwards: ” Suppress the place and sow the ground with salt?̶ 1; Why not, PrayTell? Seriously, what good reason might a responsibl e bishop have, for allowing a place like this to...
- hwriggles4: If religious education volunteers and paid staffers are required to attend, they would probably fall asleep during several sessions. If this were me, I would read Daniel Mattson...
- Cafea Fruor: @Amy – Yes, this is so true, and the consequenc es of not having a mother around run deep. My own mother was effectivel y out of my childhood from the time I was about 7 or 8...
- Gab: This infection needs to be stopped before it spreads to other parishes. Although I don’ t know if it’s even possible to stop the spread in these times. Sounds like the church and...
- Amy McSween: Where is the Cross? Where is our Lord?
- Suburbanbanshee: I think Liguori says that travelers are exempted from a lot of fasting regs. Obviously this was partly about moving the body strenuousl y, and partly about uncertaint ies in...
- Hidden One: The pastorR 17;s second six year term expires in July.
- Arcgap: The Bishop should follow the example of Jesus ins such a situation John 2:15
- teomatteo: Child abuse. Pure and Simple. (not the baptism of course).
- Amy McSween: A child has a right, in normal circumstan ces, to his or her mother. Jennifer Roeback Morse has devise excellent rhetorical counterpoi nts to the usual “don ’t judge...
- WmHesch: Under the old rules, New scapulars did not need to be blessed (with the sole exception of the Trinidaria n until Leo XIII). This is because it’s the ENROLLMENT that carries over from one...
- Michael: This company from Michigan makes excellent Scapulars that are both strong and long-lasti ng. Plus, proceeds go towards the formation of religious. The scapular comes with the rite of...
- LA: A couple years back I was flew East across the Atlantic, leaving Atlanta on a Ash Wednesday evening. I could not know when exactly it would turn into Thursday mid-air somewhere in flight, so...
- ChesterFrank: When initiated into the brown scapular in grade school, I recall getting one of plastic with inserts for paper cards. Are the real ones really that much more expensive? Handing out...
- IRATVS MAXIMVS: Here’ ;s what I do when, for instance, I have to stay up late or travel on fridays and eating meat at 00:01 feels hypocritic al: I fast from the time I wake up on (local)...
- majuscule: Some years ago I bought one from the person mentioned by Cicero_NOL A. They are a hand embroidere d work of art. If you are looking for a “hair shirt” effect, one of these would not be...
- ChesterFrank: Does this classify as a satanic ritual? [Not in a formal sense. But I cannot help but think that demons revel in this. Remember: demons can attach themselves to those who commit...
- Dan: The first sign that this was going to go south were the giant projection screens at the front of the parish. I didn’ ;t even have to click the link to the bulletin to know they called...
CLICK and say your daily offerings!
- Scandalous parish in @ArchdioceseSPM – public celebration of homosexuality, IVR and surrogacy
- ASK FATHER: Where can I get good Brown Scapulars?
- ASK FATHER: Friday penance on flight across International Date Line
- Public penance and public reparation
- Card. Mahony to speak at the Three Days of Darkness
- UPDATE: “the finest rosaries I’ve ever seen” with a new site
- SOS! New Chant Collection: Prière pour temps de détresse … Prayer in time of distress, suffering, urgency… SOS Chant
- ASK FATHER: St. Gertrude’s Prayer and releasing 1000 souls from Purgatory
- YOUR URGENT PRAYER REQUESTS
- When tweets become problematic
- 4th Letter from Archbishop Viganò
- 14 January – Happy Feast of the Ass!
- Your Sunday Sermon Notes
- ASK FATHER: Standing on altar to change sanctuary lamp.
- ASK FATHER: Feasts of new saints in the Traditional Latin Mass
- Good points in Lawler’s recent book: The Smoke of Satan…
- Two cordial warnings to readers
- ASK FATHER: Excessive pious gestures during Mass
- WDTPRS – Holy Family (1962MR): Families not of blood
- ASK FATHER: Can we use the Breviarium Romanum published by the SSPX?
- FOLLOW UP on Gluten and Celiac post
- ZMIRAK: Hawaii Sen. @maziehirono Is Right. We Must Intern the Knights of Columbus in Camps
- ASK FATHER: Gluten-free madness the work of the Father of Lies?
- Of desecration of liturgy and identity. Wherein Fr. Z rants.
- NEW BOOK from William R. Forstchen. “Sauron’s Eye” is about to kill everything on Earth.
- Fun about a box of stuff, a papal tomb and ancient reading glasses (“cheaters”)
- BOOK RECEIVED
- ASK FATHER: “I’m seriously considering adopting some form of sedevacantism”
- ASK FATHER: Advice about homeschooling and High School
- Your Sunday Sermon Notes
Let us pray…
Grant unto thy Church, we beseech Thee, O merciful God, that She, being gathered together by the Holy Ghost, may be in no wise troubled by attack from her foes. O God, who by sin art offended and by penance pacified, mercifully regard the prayers of Thy people making supplication unto Thee,and turn away the scourges of Thine anger which we deserve for our sins. Almighty and Everlasting God, in whose Hand are the power and the government of every realm: look down upon and help the Christian people that the heathen nations who trust in the fierceness of their own might may be crushed by the power of thine Arm. Through our Lord Jesus Christ, Thy Son, who liveth and reigneth with Thee in the unity of the Holy Ghost, God, world without end. R. Amen.
This blog has to earn its keep!
New miscellaneous releases and events
Yes, Fr. Z is taking ads…
A great hymnal…
Because it matters what children read…
I carry one of these super-strong rosaries in my spare mag pouch! The Swiss Guards have them too!
My "challenge coin" for my 25th anniversary of ordination in 2016.
Want one? I do exchanges with military and LEOs, etc. and you can make a donation.
Because you don’t know when you are going to need to move fast or get along without the supermarket…
PLEASE RESPOND. Pretty pleeeease?Loading ...
WDTPRS POLLLoading ...
Fr. Z’s stuff is everywhere
Help support Fr. Z’s Gospel of Life work at no cost to you. Do you need a Real Estate Agent? Calling these people is the FIRST thing you should do!
GREAT causes to support
Help Monks in Wyoming (coffee – UPDATED LINK) and Norcia (beer) and the wonderful "Soap Sisters" of Summit, NJ!
Please follow me on Twitter!
If you travel internationally, this is a super useful gizmo for your mobile internet data. I use one. If you get one through my link, I get data rewards.
Tag Archives: women religious
Sometimes you hear the facile repeat: “If only women were in leadership positions, this sort of thing wouldn’t happen!” Is that so? Here’s a case to consider… At Crux: Church says nuns embezzled from school to cover Vegas trips LOS … Continue reading
Once upon a time we took care of our own and didn’t rely on the nanny state to do everything. Catholics of every level of economic potential and walk of life were concerned with works of mercy, even in organized … Continue reading
From a reader… QUAERITUR: I’ve been discerning a religious vocation for about a year and a half, but lately I’ve been frustrated and confused about the right community to look into. My vocations director is a member of an LCWR … Continue reading
The dying out of women religious, and the crisis of religious, priestly vocations. Wherein Fr. Z rants.
If anyone in the English speaking world knows what the status quaestionis is concerning American women religious it’s Ann Carey. She has written insightful books about, especially, why some orders are imploding from their own suicide pact with modernity. See … Continue reading
Something at the SSPX website caught my eye. Here is a photo from a story of the profession of vows of some sisters associated with the SSPX: “Two American Postulants Join the Consoling Sisters of the Sacred Heart in Italy” … Continue reading
This is pretty cool. A friend alerted me to this video of a young woman entering a Carmel. More HERE. You young women out there, think about it. I don’t think that God is calling fewer women per capita … Continue reading
From KIII TV in Texas. These sisters are a sister order to that of a holy sister with whom I worked in Rome. CORPUS CHRISTI (Kiii News) – In a time when our world is thirsty for hope and peace, … Continue reading
More hand-wringing at Fishwrap (aka National Sodomitic Reporter) over another summons of US nuns to Rome for a chat. They can join the Loretto Sisters, the Sisters of St. Joseph of Carondelet, the line is getting longer. Sisters of Mercy also being … Continue reading
As the number of leaders of groups of US women religious being summoned to Rome has been growing, an expert on the status quaesitionis of the same US groups, Ann Carey, offers some insights in the form of a dialogue. You all … Continue reading
You’ve seen the recent stories about leaders of US women religious being summoned to Rome for to explain the situation. On the heals of another such story today (HERE) comes this, which I spotted at Church Militant. Apparently the US … Continue reading
The leaders of the Sisters of Loreto were called to Rome to talk about issues of doctrine and morals. Then the Sisters of Charity of the Blessed Virgin Mary were called. Now I read at panicky Fishwrap (aka National Schismatic … Continue reading
Fishwrap (aka National Schismatic Reporter) is squawking that yet another group of women religious in these USA is being called to Rome for a chat. First, the Sisters of Loretto (think Sr. Jeannine Gramick) are summoned to talk about … Continue reading
Speaking of Sr. Carol Keehan, whom Pres. Obama credits for getting ObamaTax passed (she gave cover to Catholic pols who could then vote for something that would promote abortion), Charles Krauthammer had a great line in his commentary the other … Continue reading
For your Just Too Cool file… From CNS: Benedictine nuns make their home on the range By Jim West Catholic News Service VIRGINIA DALE, Colo. (CNS) — Sister Maria Walburga Schortemeyer is at home wading through the mud and manure … Continue reading
I get questions from young women interested in religious life but with a traditional expression. I received this and thought to share it with you. Hello Fr. Z! I hope all is going well. When I saw you recently … Continue reading