Search Fr. Z’s Blog
SHOPPING ONLINE? Please, always come here first!
Enter Amazon through my link. Use the search bar below. Fr Z will get a small percentage of what you spend.
Here's Fr. Z's "catholic" search for Amazon: US HERE - UK HERE And you do need a Kindle! - HERE
“This blog is like a fusion of the Baroque ‘salon’ with its well-tuned harpsichord around which polite society gathered for entertainment and edification and, on the other hand, a Wild West “saloon” with its out-of-tune piano and swinging doors, where everyone has a gun and something to say. Nevertheless, we try to point our discussions back to what it is to be Catholic in this increasingly difficult age, to love God, and how to get to heaven.” – Fr. Z
Coat of Arms by D Burkart
Send Snail Mail to Fr. Z
YOUR RECENT COMMENTS
- JGavin: I believe you mean dozes. Doses would be plural of dose. As to dozing off during a homily, I have been sleep deprived for a fair portion of my adult life, given my profession . I have been...
- cathgrl: Why that appeared twice, I have no idea. Sorry.
- Dismas: @veritas vincit – Oh, I’m aware of the intended reason Cdl. George thought that. I also agree on your assessment . That said, it could still happen, and the irony would be...
- veritas vincit: pbnelson: That’ ;s not Knights of Columbus regalia, at least not from any point in at least the last 20 years, in any case. I would love to know what organizati on does wear...
- veritas vincit: Dismas: “I wonder if Cdl. George’s statement ever made his successor flinch. 221; I don’ t know for sure. But I can’ t see the current Cardinal in Chicago going...
- Dismas: I wonder if Cdl. GeorgeR 17;s statement ever made his successor flinch.
- Jerome Charles: http://www .usccb.org /prayer-an d-worship/ liturgical -year/trid uum/holy-t hursday-ma ndatum.cfm Imrahil, It doesn̵ 7;t address unbaptized persons, or say that one needs be...
- Ipsitilla: “Dru mming up false charges of sexual abuse is so much easier these days than dragging a large Cardinal’s body through the halls of the Vatican on the way to the Tiber.R 21;...
- Imrahil: in that *manner*. Could autocorrec t please just vanish into nothing? Sorry.
- Imrahil: Dear Jerome Charles, it‘s just the thing that washing the feet of an unbaptized person is incompatib le with an important and integral part of the Mandatum‘s significan ce. Whosoever comes...
- Jerome Charles: Several websites noted that Pope Francis will indeed celebrate the Holy Thursday liturgy, and the location will be announced later̵ 1;as has been done other years (for securi...
- jhayes: Francis usually celebrates the Mass of the Lord’ ;s Supper (and its foot washing ceremony) at some location outside of the Vatican. Last year, it was at the Regina Ceoli Prison. I...
- grateful: lacuna /la·cu·na/ (lah-ku´na h) pl. lacu´nae [L.] 1. a small pit or hollow cavity. 2. a defect or gap, as in the field of vision (scotoma). lacu´nar
- Chaswjd: While I can appreciate the Pope’sdesi re to celebrate the Eucharist with prisoners and others on the margin of society, I question whether Holy Thursday is the proper time to do it. He is...
- FrAnt: Cardinal Pell shows future Cardinals given the charge of straighten ing out the Vatican finances the degree to which hatters of the Church will go when you expose the annual waste of $52,0...
- Jerome Charles: Perhaps he’s meditating ? I am known to close my eyes during the homily and reflect on the readings or meditate on God’ s holy presence. He could also be sleeping, of...
- Aquinas Gal: It does seem like an odd omission. Maybe he will actually offer that Mass even if whoever prepared the schedule messed up. I can’ t help but wonder if he will be at the jail...
- tho: Equality is such an ambiguous word, to take it literally, we would not have to take tests to determine our fitness for various occupation s. Men and women are distinctly different, not only...
- stevelskojec: Rorate had it up first, but they’ ;ve allowed others to repost it. We also have it up here: https://on epeterfive .com/bisho p-athanasi sus-schnei der-on-the -question- of-a-he...
- hwriggles4: Someone commented about young people. Young people today (I grew up in the 1980s, and we got too much huggy kissy, and feel good pop psychology in youth group) mostly friends kids, tell...
- hwriggles4: Another detail: I bet none of the congregati on present left the sanctuary before the priest said “ite misa est” (I can’ t remember the correct spelling, but I am sure...
- ex seaxe: I have read that touching an earlobe rouses without startling. One would not like to cause a sudden jerk precipitat ing a mitre to the floor.
- arga: so WHEN did this happen?
CLICK and say your daily offerings!
- George Weigel on “Two Georges” and future persecution
- Francis’ Triduum Schedule: strange lacuna
- Bp. Schneider: On the question of a heretical pope
- ASK FATHER: Father doses off during Mass
- LENTCAzT 2019 15 – Wednesday in the 2nd Week: Card. Burke
- Officially BADASS CATHOLIC PHOTO
- Germany: More dissent from nuns
- “Te, Ioseph celebrent”, a hymn in honor of the Terror of Demons
- CRISIS: Keen analysis of the implosion of the German Church
- LENTCAzT 2019 14 – Tuesday in the 2nd Week: Glorious St. Joseph!
- Lighter fare
- Wherein Fr. Z rants about Hell and sin and Enemy of the soul
- LENTCAzT 2019 13 – Monday in the 2nd Week: Kneeling at Mass, its actual liturgical function
- “You just want the 1950’s back!”
- ASK FATHER: How can eating desserts during Lent be fasting? Would Jesus eat desserts?
- News from the great Benedictines at Norcia: building, dogs, liturgy, beer
- ASK FATHER: A question about a marriage situation (not mine)
- How to spot a good preacher
- Your Sunday Sermon Notes
- CNA Exposé: Archbp. Francis Chullikatt, Holy See’s former Observer at the UN
- St. Patrick’s Breastplate: Armor for our time
- LENTCAzT 2019 – 12 – 2nd Sunday of Lent: God is more lenient than you
- WDTPRS – 2nd Sunday of Lent (NO): a more perfect “view”
- When We are elected Pope…
- LENTCAzT 2019 – 11 – Saturday in the 1st Week of Lent: The imperial epiphany and the tabernacle
- AUDIO: Damian Thompson on boring bishops – @HolySmoke
- 15 March – A ramble about the #IdesOfMarch
- Dems push to save cats after abandoning babies to death
- A “binding” German synod… What could possibly go wrong?
- LENTCAzT 2019 – 10 Friday in the 1st Week of Lent: The involuntary, personal response to a gracious epiphany
Let us pray…
Grant unto thy Church, we beseech Thee, O merciful God, that She, being gathered together by the Holy Ghost, may be in no wise troubled by attack from her foes. O God, who by sin art offended and by penance pacified, mercifully regard the prayers of Thy people making supplication unto Thee,and turn away the scourges of Thine anger which we deserve for our sins. Almighty and Everlasting God, in whose Hand are the power and the government of every realm: look down upon and help the Christian people that the heathen nations who trust in the fierceness of their own might may be crushed by the power of thine Arm. Through our Lord Jesus Christ, Thy Son, who liveth and reigneth with Thee in the unity of the Holy Ghost, God, world without end. R. Amen.
This blog has to earn its keep!
PLEASE subscribe if it is useful.
That way I have steady income I can plan on, and you wind up regularly on my list of benefactors for whom I pray and for whom I periodically say Holy Mass.
For a one time donation...
I set up a
CONTINUE TO GIVE
account, which functions rather like PayPal. Some of you use it. Here is a QCode you can use with your smart phones. Try it!
Also, to receive a link to donate via Continue To Give using your smart phone SEND MESSAGE:
4827563 TO: 715-803-4772 (USA)
Some donations also come through CHASE. That works well. I don't think they take any percentage as fees.
New miscellaneous releases and events
Do you want to show some appreciation?
Yes, Fr. Z is taking ads…
A great hymnal…
Because it matters what children read…
I carry one of these super-strong rosaries in my spare mag pouch! The Swiss Guards have them too!
My "challenge coin" for my 25th anniversary of ordination in 2016.
Want one? I do exchanges with military and LEOs, etc. and you can make a donation.
Because you don’t know when you are going to need to move fast or get along without the supermarket…
PLEASE RESPOND. Pretty pleeeease?Loading ...
WDTPRS POLLLoading ...
Fr. Z’s stuff is everywhere
Help support Fr. Z’s Gospel of Life work at no cost to you. Do you need a Real Estate Agent? Calling these people is the FIRST thing you should do!
GREAT causes to support
Help Monks in Wyoming (coffee – UPDATED LINK) and Norcia (beer) and the wonderful "Soap Sisters" of Summit, NJ!
Please follow me on Twitter!
If you travel internationally, this is a super useful gizmo for your mobile internet data. I use one. If you get one through my link, I get data rewards.
Tag Archives: WYD
I have deep misgivings about mega-Masses. Leaving aside the obvious problem of the effective range of a priest’s consecration, and leaving aside the problem of too many Hosts being consecrated, how can, I muse, Holy Communion be distributed to so … Continue reading
My constant drumbeat has been that for any effort of New Evangelization to bear long-lasting fruit, we must revitalize our sacred liturgical worship of God. Nothing we do to renew the Church will last unless we get our liturgical house … Continue reading
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zo_1_WZ5DmA&feature=player_embedded Bis pueri senes? This is supposed to be a rehearsal of some sort. I don’t know for which event. I really want to just smile and shrug this off. I suspect this isn’t what Pope Francis meant when he … Continue reading
In his off the cuff address in the cathedral of Rio during WYD on Thursday, 25 July, the Pope told young people to make some chaos back home (“quiero lío en las diócesis”), to pay attention to the elderly, and … Continue reading
The Holy Father, Pope Francis (or perhaps “Pope Lío“, hereafter), met with young people in the strange cathedral of Rio de Janiero on Thursday, 25 July. He spoke in Spanish, entirely off the cuff. Here is the official English translation … Continue reading
Pope Francis in Rio, spoke to young people at the Copacabana beach. Inter alia, dixit: Dear young people: “Put on Christ” in your lives. In these days, Christ awaits you in his word; listen carefully to him and your heart … Continue reading
One of my philosophy profs, a former Marine DI, told us that if everything that goes into our brains has no or little relation to reality, then we can’t expect to produce good and rational results. We will be, in … Continue reading
Via Eponymous Flower and Messa in Latino comes something from World Youth Day not covered by the mainstream Catholic media. And one must ask why that is. My emphases: Traditionalist Bishops [Not the SSPX bishops. Bishops with actual faculties and … Continue reading
Nolite mirari fratres si odit vos mundus. Wonder not, brethren, if the world hate you. 1 John 3:13 In Madrid during WYD the were no lack of twisted, benighted wing-nut protesters harrassing the pilgrims and young people. One of the … Continue reading
From ZENIT: Storm Interrupts Papal Address at Vigil Pope to Youth: “Your Strength Is Greater Than the Rain” By Inma Álvarez MADRID, Spain, AUG. 20, 2011 (Zenit.org).- After the intense heat that has marked these days in Madrid, a sudden … Continue reading
Thomas Peters posted a few photos of anti-Catholic bigots in Spain harassing young Catholics at WYD. Here are two. Consider this well, friends. It could happen where you are. It could happen to you.
From CNA: Hackers create problems for World Youth Day website By Alejandro Bermudez Madrid, Spain, Aug 19, 2011 / 10:13 am (CNA/EWTN News).- Issues with World Youth Day’s official website are due to hacking attempts, the event’s press office announced … Continue reading
Benedict XVI to young people: “Let nothing and no one take away your peace; do not be ashamed of the Lord.”
When Benedict XVI arrived in Madrid, Spain for World Youth Day, he made a speech at the airport. Here is the salient part of his address: […] Why has this multitude of young people come to Madrid? While they themselves … Continue reading
Via Catholic World News: Priests hearing confessions at World Youth Day have been given the authority to lift the excommunication of penitents who have been involved in abortions. Cardinal Antonio Maria Rouco Varela of Madrid granted that authority to all … Continue reading