SHOPPING ONLINE? Please, come here first!
Your support is important. Thanks in advance.
To donate monthly via Continue To Give use your phone's camera to activate the Q code or text 4827563 to 715-803-4772 (US) for a link.
For Zelle and Chase, etc., use
frz AT wdtprs DOT com.
About this blog…
“This blog is like a fusion of the Baroque ‘salon’ with its well-tuned harpsichord around which polite society gathered for entertainment and edification and, on the other hand, a Wild West “saloon” with its out-of-tune piano and swinging doors, where everyone has a gun and something to say. Nevertheless, we try to point our discussions back to what it is to be Catholic in this increasingly difficult age, to love God, and how to get to heaven.” – Fr. Z
Coat of Arms by D Burkart
Wonderful about St. Joseph! “Terror of Demons”
ABORTION PILL RESCUE NETWORK
- The most evident mark of God’s anger and the most terrible castigation He can inflict upon the world are manifested when He permits His people to fall into the hands of clerics who are priests more in name than in deed, priests who practice the cruelty of ravening wolves rather than the charity and affection of devoted shepherds.
St. John Eudes
Donate using VENMO
GREAT BEER from Traditional Benedictine Monks in Italy
CLICK and say your daily offerings!
Do you want to show some appreciation?
Do you have a faithful Catholic website that needs competent and reliable tech support?
NEW OPPORTUNITY – 10% off with code: FATHERZ10
Fr. Z’s VOICEMAIL
Nota bene: I do not answer these numbers or this Skype address. You won't get me "live". I check for messages regularly.
020 8133 4535
YOUR RECENT COMMENTS
Books which you must have.
This REALLY helps! And it’s great coffee (and tea)
I use this when I travel both in these USA and abroad. Very useful. Fast enough for Zoom. I connect my DMR (ham radio) through it. If you use my link, they give me more data. A GREAT back up.
Don’t rely on popes, bishops and priests.
“He [Satan] will set up a counter-Church which will be the ape of the Church because, he the devil, is the ape of God. It will have all the notes and characteristics of the Church, but in reverse and emptied of its divine content. It will be a mystical body of the anti-Christ that will in all externals resemble the mystical body of Christ. In desperate need for God, whom he nevertheless refuses to adore, modern man in his loneliness and frustration will hunger more and more for membership in a community that will give him enlargement of purpose, but at the cost of losing himself in some vague collectivity.”
“Who is going to save our Church? Not our bishops, not our priests and religious. It is up to you, the people. You have the minds, the eyes, and the ears to save the Church. Your mission is to see that your priests act like priests, your bishops act like bishops.”
- Fulton Sheen
Therefore, ACTIVATE YOUR CONFIRMATION and get to work!
Send Snail Mail to Fr. Z
- “The modern habit of doing ceremonial things unceremoniously is no proof of humility; rather it proves the offender's inability to forget himself in the rite, and his readiness to spoil for every one else the proper pleasure of ritual.”
- C.S. Lewis
This blog has to earn its keep!
PLEASE subscribe via PayPal if it is useful.
That way I have steady income I can plan on, and you wind up regularly on my list of benefactors for whom I pray and for whom I periodically say Holy Mass.
In view of the rapidly changing challenges I now face, I would like to add more $10/month subscribers. Will you please help?
For a one time donation...
As for Latin…
"But if, in any layman who is indeed imbued with literature, ignorance of the Latin language, which we can truly call the 'catholic' language, indicates a certain sluggishness in his love toward the Church, how much more fitting it is that each and every cleric should be adequately practiced and skilled in that language!" - Pius XI
"Let us realize that this remark of Cicero (Brutus 37, 140) can be in a certain way referred to [young lay people]: 'It is not so much a matter of distinction to know Latin as it is disgraceful not to know it.'" - St. John Paul II
- Sign posted on confessional door: “GET TO THE POINT!” Wherein Fr. Z rants.
- Daily Rome Shot 649
- Fr. John Hollowell’s brain tumor was miraculously healed at Lourdes.
- Items of good news and an ACTION ITEM!
- ASK FATHER: I just learned we have to confess mortal sins in kind and NUMBER. But I haven’t been doing that. I don’t want to go to Hell.
- Daily Rome Shot 648 & Pre-Lent is coming
- If Vatican II was supposed to usher in a new “springtime”…
- WDTPRS – 4th Sunday after Epiphany: YOU, weary foot soldier of the Church Militant
- Your Sunday Sermon Notes – 4th Sunday after Epiphany (N.O.: 4th Ord) 2023
- Daily Rome Shot 648 and another “Emeritus”
- The Exorcist Files. Podcasts about real cases.
- Daily Rome Shot 647
- Benedict XVI said that he abdicated because of insomnia
- Fr Z’s Kitchen: Hardwear and soft-fare.
- Daily Rome Shot 646 with Friday appropriate fare
- Responses to Card. McElroy’s essay in Jesuit-run Amerika
- Daily Rome Shot 645 and an Action Item!
- ASK FATHER: How do you argue with extreme fringe trads that the Novus Ordo is valid?
- Daily Rome Shot 645 – Obsculta, O fili, praecepta magistri!
- Daily Rome Shot 644 with overload
- You might be able to improve the preaching in your parish and change a priest’s life. Wherein Fr. Z suggests.
- Daily Rome Shot 643 & inspirational video
- ASK FATHER: Am I cooperating with evil in my job by changing generic “he” on forms to gender neutral terms?
- Daily Rome Shot 642
- 3rd Sunday after Epiphany: “‘Vengeance is YOURS’, saith the Lord!” No… wait… that’s not how it goes. CROSS-POSTED
- Your Sunday Sermon Notes – 3rd Sunday after Epiphany (N.O.: 3rd Ord) 2023
- ASK FATHER: I don’t believe Francis is really the Pope. Is it a sin to go to Mass where his name is mentioned?
- Diocese of Cheyenne: “Welcome!”
- Daily Rome Shot 641
- ASK FATHER: Pagan amulet for protection
Let us pray…
Grant unto thy Church, we beseech Thee, O merciful God, that She, being gathered together by the Holy Ghost, may be in no wise troubled by attack from her foes. O God, who by sin art offended and by penance pacified, mercifully regard the prayers of Thy people making supplication unto Thee,and turn away the scourges of Thine anger which we deserve for our sins. Almighty and Everlasting God, in whose Hand are the power and the government of every realm: look down upon and help the Christian people that the heathen nations who trust in the fierceness of their own might may be crushed by the power of thine Arm. Through our Lord Jesus Christ, Thy Son, who liveth and reigneth with Thee in the unity of the Holy Ghost, God, world without end. R. Amen.
Be a “Zed-Head”!
My "challenge coin" for my 25th anniversary of ordination in 2016.
Want one? I do exchanges with military and LEOs, etc.
PLEASE RESPOND. Pretty pleeeease?Loading ...
This is really useful when travelling… and also when you aren’t and you need backup internet NOW! I use this for my DMR “Zednet” hotspot when I’m mobile. It’s a ham radio thing.
If you travel internationally, this is a super useful gizmo for your mobile internet data. I use one. If you get one through my link, I get data rewards.
Please use my links when shopping! I depend on your help.
WDTPRS POLLLoading ...
Fr. Z’s stuff is everywhere
Help support Fr. Z’s Gospel of Life work at no cost to you. Do you need a Real Estate Agent? Calling these people is the FIRST thing you should do!
GREAT causes to support
Daily Archives: 24 September 2010
It being an Ember Friday I ate rather little today, and I am avoiding meat. So, I thought to prime myself for a workout tonight with some pasta and things from the garden. I picked a mess of these little … Read More
There will be a workshop on Sacred Music in the Diocese of Madison, WI on 1-2 October, Friday afternoon and Saturday morning. Use that link for concrete information about schedules, etc. The workshop is entitled “A treasure of inestimable value”, … Read More
There is a long piece on CNA about an address given by His Excellency Most Rev. Charles Chaput of Denver. Here are some snips with my emphases and comments: Prejudiced journalism ‘diminishes public life,’ warns Archbishop Chaput Denver, Colo., Sep … Read More
The Wall Street Journal is running a little poll on the issue of celibacy. And the results at the time of this writing: UPDATE 20:24 GMT: UPDATE 22:35 GMT: UPDATE 25 Sept 12:27 GMT: It seems that the poll has … Read More
In conversations with smart people I know, we have been thinking over the Papal Visit to Scotland and England. We have been parsing also the news coverage after the event. Not great analysis. We have seen stories, but not very … Read More
ANOTHER UPDATE: I fixed the “threaded” or “nested” comments feature. ___ I added links at the bottom of each entry so that you can email, print, and share posts to various social networking sites. I added just a few social … Read More
Benedict XVI is the Pope of Christian Unity. As Pope of Christian Unity he issued Anglicanorum coetibus which provides for ecclesial structures for traditionally-minded Anglicans seeking communion with the Catholic Church. This was in the background during the Holy Father’s … Read More
From a reader: I am a choir director and my pastor would like me to teach the congregation a song during the homily. He will introduce me and I come to the front and take over from there. I am … Read More
The USCCB issued a notice that His Excellency Most. Rev. Donald Wuerl, Archbishop of Washington, D.C., will oversee the process for traditionally-minded Anglicans who desire to make use of the provisions the Holy Father issued in Anglicanorum coetibus. USCCB News … Read More
The UK’s best Catholic weekly, the Catholic Herald, has an issue devoted in large part to the Holy Father’s recent visit to Scotland and England. You will want to be sure to check it online and, if you can, in … Read More
Our friends at Rorate found an extended piece from UCANews (you might remember the liturgical opinions of its editor). You will want to read this whole thing, but here it is with my emphases and comments: The liturgical renewal I … Read More