CHRISTMASCAzT 2018 30: Active participation in the TLM and Novus Ordo

Once again this year I offer short daily podcasts to help you prepare for the upcoming feast as well as for your own, personal, meeting with the Lord.

Here is CHRISTMASCAzT 30, 7th day in the Octave of Christmas.

These 5 minute offerings are a token of gratitude especially for my benefactors.  Thank you!

Today we have Peter Kwasniewski on an important difference between active/actual participation of the faithful in the Novus Ordo and in the Traditional Latin Mass.  I read from Noble Beauty, Transcendent Holiness: Why the Modern Age Needs the Mass of Ages (US HERE – UK HERE)   This book has a forward by the great Martin Mosebach, author of The Heresy of Formlessness (a must read, a hard read but richly rewarding).

I keep harping on the theme that: WE ARE OUR RITES.  Hence, what is offered today is important for our identity as Catholics.

Also, because traditionally we sing the Te Deum on this last day of the calendar year, the year of salvation 2018, and we can gain a plenary indulgence for it’s public recitation, I offer a taste of a magnificent version from the Les Grandes heures liturgiques à Notre-Dame de Paris.  US HERE – UK HERE

Have some Mystic Monk Coffee and have a listen!

Chime in if you listened.

PS: These podcasts should also be available through my iTunes feed, though maybe not immediately. Let me know how you are listening.  Through the plug in on this post? Through iTunes? Downloading?

Please share!

This entry was posted in ADVENTCAzT, ADVENTCAzT, Hard-Identity Catholicism, Liturgy Science Theatre 3000, Our Catholic Identity, PODCAzT and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

10 Responses to CHRISTMASCAzT 2018 30: Active participation in the TLM and Novus Ordo

1. grumpyoldCatholic says:

I makes me sad that when I tell people about the TLM they tell me I am some kind of heretic. The conciliar church has brain washed everyone. God bless you and happy New Year

2. Gab says:

My first Latin Mass was an eye-opener. I didn’t have to say much during Mass and it felt weird not “participating” as I had been trained to do from childhood. What was I supposed to do then – just watch the priest? That didn’t feel like “participating” in the Mass. Okay, I’ll figure out where Father is in the liturgy and read the English translation of the prayers he was saying on behalf of all present at the Mass. Such beautiful prayers. I said a few fervent prayers for him and for the congregation too. (That felt like a luxury). Father even faced Our Lord on the Cross and the Tabernacle instead of showing his back to both. He seemed very busy while I seemingly did nothing.

So I watched Father and the all-male altar servers (not dressed in shorts and t-shirts) carry out their duties with extreme reverence and solemnity. Then the homily (sermon) actually related to the Gospel and was not over in three minutes*.

I imagined many small angels busily lifting the priest’s vestment and sleeves to assist as he raised the Eucharist toward Heaven and more angels kneeling at the altar with heads raised to Heaven in praise and thanksgiving and joy. And bells! Bells were rung! Back to reading the prayers being said. Beautiful, meaningful words.

Holy Communion at the rail, kneeling (not kneeling on my tongue, Fr Z) and remembering not to say “Amen” before receiving on the tongue. The impulse to say Amen was strong! It’s amazing but Father said a few words and blessed me before I received Holy Communion. (I was taken aback by this as I’m only used to hearing three words and being given the Host like it was something … ordinary.

And then private prayers after Communion – there was actually enough time to say many thanksgivings and to just simply listen, experience Christ’s presence. It’s so gratifying not to have to rush these prayers, typically the case in the N.O. mass.

Mass ends and Father ( a young man, maybe 30-31 years old) leads us in the Leonine Prayers. How marvelous!, how glorious! it was to hear a priest and the congregation say these prayers, which I usually recite on my own to myself after Mass amid the cacophony of the faithful having loud conversations in the church – a Dubai souq would blush at it’s meagre decibel level in comparison.

And then we all leave the Church – God’s formal house – respectfully and quietly.

That was 70 minutes that felt like only 20 minutes! Having no idea the duration of a TLM beforehand and never once thinking to look for a clock, I reminded myself that in our N.O-only church there is a large clock on the wall and I have looked at it often.

Why has Rome been hiding this TLM from me all these years?!

*Typically, sermons are done and dusted in 3-5 minutes. One time, our N.O. parish priest boasted during “Announcements” that he finished the Mass in under 25 minutes so we could all hurry and watch some sporting final of some apparent significance.

3. Gab says:

Oh dear. My apologies, that was way too long.

4. Prayerful says:

The book is wonderful, but I’m one of those who believe it right to be wholly silent during Mass. Even my 1940/47 At Andrew’s Missal suggests Dialogue Mass options among the rubrics, but I will not. If I hear Mass and maybe receive Communion, my participation is at its fullest. I’ve joined to the Sacrifice of Calvary on the altar.

5. JMody says:

I try to participate (NO Mass) as much as possible in the manner prescribed by the Holy Father. I sit glassy-eyed and slack-jawed, mouth breathing as much as possible, trying to adopt that “usual torpor” that Pope St Paul VI commended to the laity.

6. Joe in Canada says:

JMody – can you provide a reference to what you say Pope St Paul VI commended?

7. JMody says:

Sure. EWTN and many other sources have it, his his Holiness’ remarks to a vernal audience on 26 November 1969 (my emphases):

CHANGES IN MASS FOR GREATER APOSTOLATE
    Pope Paul VI
    Address to a General Audience, November 26, 1969
    Our Dear Sons and Daughters:

1. We ask you to turn your minds once more to [b]the liturgical innovation[/b] of the new rite of the Mass. This new rite will be introduced …

2. A new rite of the Mass: a change in a venerable tradition that has gone on for centuries. This is something that affects our hereditary religious patrimony, which [b]seemed to enjoy the privilege of being untouchable and settled. It seemed to bring the prayer of our forefathers and our saints to our lips and to give us the comfort of feeling faithful to our spiritual past, which we kept alive to pass it on to the generations ahead.[/b]

3. It is at such a moment as this that we get a better understanding of the value of historical tradition and the communion of the saints. This change will affect the ceremonies of the Mass. We shall become aware, perhaps with some feeling of annoyance, that the ceremonies at the altar are no longer being carried out with the same words and gestures to which we were accustomed—perhaps so much accustomed that we no longer took any notice of them. This change also touches the faithful. It is intended to interest each one of those present, to [b]draw them out of their customary personal devotions or their usual torpor[/b].

8. JMody says:

And thank you, yes “vernal” should be “general” …

9. veritas vincit says:

I have never had the opportunity to attend a TLM. And maybe it’s just me, but some of the comments about the faults of the NO (and I have been to some reverent NO Masses featuring Latin prayers, communion rails and “ad orientem”) almost seem a bit much. For whatever faults it has, the NO Mass, with the Real Presence is so much more than the Methodist services of my upbringing.

That reminds me of the Biblical passage at the laying of the Seond Temple foundations by the Israelites returned from exile:

“And all the people shouted with a great shout, when they praised the Lord, because the foundation of the house of the Lord was laid. But many of the priests and Levites and heads of fathers’ houses, old men who had seen the first house, wept with a loud voice when they saw the foundation of this house being laid, though many shouted aloud for joy; so that the people could not distinguish the sound of the joyful shout from the sound of the people’s weeping, for the people shouted with a great shout, and the sound was heard afar.” (Ezra 3:11-13 RSV-Catholic Edition)