Your Sunday Sermon Notes

Was there a good point made in the sermon you heard for your Mass of Sunday obligation? Let us know what it was.

For my part, I spoke to the parable of the Sower and the Seed which is the Gospel for Sexagesima Sunday.

First, consider how important these pre-Lent Sundays are.  They are important enough to have Roman stations.  They are part of ancient Mass formularies, especially for prospective catechumens.  They challenge us to ask ourselves about what we’ve gotten ourselves into.

Please share!

This entry was posted in Liturgy Science Theatre 3000 and tagged . Bookmark the permalink.

16 Responses to Your Sunday Sermon Notes

1. hilltop says:

No good points, [Then… why are you posting a comment here? This post is an invitation for good points. Good.] but the annual diocesan appeal portion of the homily ran longer than the consecration….

2. Yankeegirl says:

I have a question on the Sunday sermon-I belong to a parish that has a beautiful church, wonderful choir and plenty of opportunities to volunteer and get involved. Unfortunately the Pastor (A very nice man) acts as though he is the emcee at a nightclub, particularly at the end of Mass. There is always lots of clapping, “hooting & hollaring” and a way over the top “sign of peace”. Today , even though the Pastor was saying the Mass, he had the Deacon read the gospel AND give the Homily. Is this proper? The irony was that the Deacon’s homily was very powerful and much much better than any I have heard in a long time. I am 57 and don’t really have a strong memory of the pre-Vatican 11 mass; but I find myself more & more drawn to the traditional. I have been to several different churches in Charleston SC all will beautiful reverent Masses (hoping to move there)

[Deacons can preach. In general, it isn’t optimal, but it can be done.]

3. Anneliese says:

The Gospel wasn’t on the Sower but on the Golden rule and praying for our enemies. Father recited a part of the Charge of the Light Brigade. He said as Catholics we should be prepared to charge into battle to live out the faith. At one point he mentioned how we live in a country that kills unborn children, sometimes at the point of being born and even sometimes after just being born. It’s a point that I don’t hear often from priests in other parishes.

4. Pius Admirabilis says:

Father delivered a brief, but well thought out sermon which I enjoyed. He talked about the seeds falling onto different grounds, and that we are supposed to be like the fertile soil. He compared this to the BVM who we should imitate, and not be like people who are stoney, or those who fall from the Faith at the first challenge.

TLM, btw.

5. KAS says:

No clue what the sermon was about. I remember thinking it quite well written, but our dear priest reads his sermons with almost no expression, no emotion, feeling, or passion, so I tend not to remember. He is much like his mentor and nurturer of his vocation, our dear beloved, sort of retired but still working, priest. The up side, my 7 yr old who has insisted on agnosticism like his daddy, told me today at Mass that he was thinking about believing. He lit a blessed candle for his oldest sister and knelt down at the pew and folded his hands and appeared to be praying with great seriousness. So the homilies may be forgettable for me, SOMETHING is getting through to my deep thinking little son! It does not hurt, I am sure, that the cantor is a guy, and half the time the readings are done by a guy, and of course the two priests are both devout. I save special outfits for Church wearing and I think this may make an impression on his heart. All I ask is that he go because as his Mom I tell him it is required that I take him and teach him, and that he be respectful and do the responses. His Dad backs up the go, be respectful and that means listen and do what everyone is supposed to do at Mass. AND my 4 yr old remembered to bow to the tabernacle!! Now if the 9 yr old would learn to tip her head back more when receiving on the tongue so the poor priest doesn’t have to search for her mouth under all that hair! We are working on it.

6. benedetta says:

Judgment Sunday in the Byzantine Rite. In the three significant Gospel readings leading up to Lent, Zaccheus, the publican, and the prodigal son all must have felt less than able to stand at the Last Judgment. The corporal and spiritual works of mercy are the means by which we advance in holiness, contemplating God’s limitless mercy.

7. Fr_Andrew says:

I preached on the phrase of Our Lord : “The seed is the word of God”, and how people think that this means Scripture or preaching.

Rather I said the the seed is the “Word of God” or Jesus Christ. The parable is about receiving Him.

To be fertile ground for grace we need to start considering now how to till the soil of our soul and soften up our stony individualistic hearts, break up the clay of our attachments and sinful habits by the penances of Lent we will undertake. I also said that we should not waste the opportunity and then take up last minute or trivial “giving up coffee or candy” as a penance which does not actually address any attachment, lack of virtue or sinful habits we have. That will not set the plow more than surface deep. If we only skim the surface the seed will never take root and produce fruit.

If instead we take time to really evaluate where our soul is, what the ground looks like and set out a plan to till the field with some real program, God will plant the grace and at Easter we will have progressed massively in our spiritual life. But plowing is hard and tiring, sometimes quite painful, so that is why the Church is helping us get ready by means of Septuagesimatide.

8. Ellen says:

Father talked about the need to love and forgive even your enemies, and he used the example of Maria Goretti, who forgave her attacker before she died and expressed a wish that he would convert and change his life. He did.

9. Alice says:

Yankeegirl, if there is a deacon, the rubrics call for him to read the Gospel. This is true in both the EF and the OF. In general, deacons can also preach. At our parish, the deacons preach on certain Sundays. Our priests appreciate being able to use the time they would have used to write their sermons to do other important things.

Our sermon (given by our assistant pastor) made the point that forgiveness doesn’t mean pretending the offense didn’t happen. It means taking the offense seriously on the part of both the offender and the offended and accepting the offender’s sorrow for the offense. Father talked about the importance of confession too.

10. Markus says:

Father spoke of “really” forgiving our enemies, just not ignoring them but praying and helping them. This led to a great conversation with my convert wife (20 years ago) and how we had mistaken a persons actions as an enemy, but at Mass this morning, turned out to be a friend. Good priest, good sermon, good parish.

11. S D Molokai says:

The Word falling on fertile ground isn’t just by chance. It takes an act of the will to get away from the rocks, thorns, etc. and grow in holiness. Then he spoke about how love requires free will and that the choice between good and evil proves our love for God.

12. JesusFreak84 says:

Thank you for posting your sermons, Father. My verbal memory is very weak so I don’t always remember the sermons I hear once, but with the recording I can listen more than once until it “sticks.” I use LiveMass.net the same way.

13. Kennedy says:

Our sermon was great, but it was what happened at the end of the Mass that hit me. The member of the youth group who was reading the notices thanked the parish priest for coming to our Mass. The priest responded by explaining that we weren’t a parish and that he was the chaplain, not the parish priest. He explained that our church is an outpost of the chaplaincy of the disciplined forces, but, due to the urbanization going on, we were in the process of becoming a parish. (I’d better explain that this is in Nairobi, Kenya, and our church is in a police camp, albeit near the center of the city). He apologized for not coming for the early Mass for many months and leaving it to the missionary priests and promised that he would be coming more often. Then he asked all the men present to remain behind after Mass. Once the women had left he addressed us. He talked about the role of men in society and the church. He asked the young men present if they were members of the youth group. Then he asked us older people if we were members of any of the societies. He told us that we weren’t pulling our weight compared to the active women in the chaplaincy and that he would be coming to the early Mass to encourage us to become an active part of the growing parish. I think I was number 18 on the list of new members of the Catholic Men’s Association. I’ve been a member of the Lector’s group at that church for a few years, having been a Lector since the friar in charge of the altar boys when lay readers came in back in the sixties, realized that the people in what was then my parish in England were reluctant to come forward and volunteer, and decided that the little Irish kid could be trained in the art of proclaiming the Good News and maybe inspire some of the immigrant adults to also volunteer. Thanks to Fr. Mark, I am now taking another step on the journey of faith, in my 63rd year. Thank the Lord for faithful and inspiring priests.

14. JonPatrick says:

In the second reading St. Paul talks about the transition from the natural Man (Adam) to the spiritual Man (Jesus). In our own spiritual growth we also go from the natural man that just follows his passions to the spiritual, aided by God’s grace. We see this in David’s actions in the OT reading where he has the opportunity to kill Saul who is trying to kill him, but instead of following his instincts, knows that Saul is God’s anointed and refuses to kill him.

15. Ame E. says:

Father made some good points. These pre-Lent gospel readings help us prepare Lent.

Last week’s gospel was for the “observant,” the workers in the field. This week is for the “less observant”. In last week’s gospel, it was the temptation to compare yourself with others. (11th hour v. 3rd hour, etc.) This week’s gospel was about pitfalls people fall into.

In this week’s gospel, first pitfall is gung-ho bravado, (rock). He talked about countering this with St. Paul’s advice that our greatest strength is to own up to our weakness, that we can do nothing without God. He who fail to humble himself becomes somewhat of a rock and nothing can grow there.

The second pitfall is he who cannot disentangle himself from himself. These are the thorns choking the budding seed. Lenten sacrifice should seek to root out our vices rather than trim them down.

The third is those who give up before they even start. Lent ends for them before it even begins (opposite of the gung-ho guy). (I don’t know if this was the seed that fell on the wayside) You should admit weakness but don’t stop believing in the power of divine grace.

He ended by saying pray for divine grace to die for Him who died for us. Poor paraphrase, but you get the gist!

16. Grateful to be Catholic says:

At St. Mary Mother of God in DC, Fr. DeRosa reminded us that we are preparing for Lent and an essential part of Lent is penance. He then used quotations from the Council of Trent to dig into the Sacrament of Penance and the Faith that is its prerequisite. Read the Council of Trent. Go to Confession!