Your Sunday Sermon Notes – 1st Sunday of Advent 2019

Was there a good point made in the sermon you heard at the Mass that fulfilled your Sunday Obligation? What was it?

For my part,…

Please share this post!

This entry was posted in SESSIUNCULA. Bookmark the permalink.

7 Responses to Your Sunday Sermon Notes – 1st Sunday of Advent 2019

1. Prayerful says:

Thank you Fr for your your wise words.

Before mentioning a good point, the fine gold, black and purple chasuble of priest offering Mass and his assistants, were a wonder to behold. They were intricate even from a good distance – I dislike sitting beyond half way up to the outer altar rails. One slightly unusual thing was that the priest offering Mass did not preach, although he is a skillful homilist. Instead the parish priest or administrator (which in Dublin means the duties of a PP but without the canonical standing) preached a fine sermon drawing on both St Paul’s Letter to the Romans and the words of our Lord according St Luke:

Despite disasters of the present, and the past (like the Roman demolition of the Temple and earlier afflictions suffered by the Israelites of old), the Prophets and Saints did not become discouraged despite disasters they personally experienced. We have to somehow try to be like that, however hard that may be.

I hope I do justice to what Fr said.

2. GM Thobe says:

We attended a neighboring parish, where the priest mentioned the loss of faith, the revelations of Fatima and Atika, and the liturgical year as it pertains to the end of world and the end of our lives. This was followed up by a strong admonition to both get and stay confessed, so as to fulfill our supernatural end. And all was done clearly and succinctly.

3. Matthew says:

Not a comment on the homily, but as I take call on some Sundays I am out and about and don’t always go to my parish for Mass. Today I went to 12:30 Mass at a parish about 10 miles away. As luck would have it, it was a TLM. The vestments were almost exactly like yours Father.

I had never been to this parish before, but I’ve driven by the church hundreds of times. They have padded chairs rather than pews and no kneelers. They do have squares of carpet remnants you can grab on the way in. Luckily I was astute enough to see the man ahead of me grab one. Kneeling on the tile would have been uncomfortable.

4. JonPatrick says:

We need to be prepared for when we meet Christ, whether it is at the second coming at the end of the world or individually for each of us when our time here on Earth is ended. Preparation means with God’s help working to overcome those things that might keep us from eternal life with Him, taking advantage of the sacrament of confession. Father also noted increased confession times in Advent as part of our preparation.

5. acardnal says:

Thanks again for posting your Sunday homily.

6. Fr_Sotelo says:

The exhortation of the homily to use Advent as a time to “take up and read” sacred Scripture was well done. Especially when Fr. Z said, “In every word of Scripture, Christ is speaking to you.”

[Thanks! Such words from you are much appreciated.]

7. Mariana2 says:

Thanks for your homily, Father!