A tribute to my mother on my birthday

Today is my birthday.  Yawn.  … But, no, actually.

I just got off the phone with my mother.  That got me thinking. Sure, it’s my birthday.  It is also my <em>mother</em>’s birthday, in the sense that she gave birth to me.  She did most of the work that day.  Birthdays are as much about mothers as children, if you think about it.

Mom is a hard as nails Wyoming cowgirl who became the 1st woman on the Minneapolis Police Department.

This is one of my favorite photos.  This is her graduation from the police academy.  They didn’t have uniforms for women.

In case there any Harris/Biden voters out there, my mother is the non-transgender woman in the center of the front row.  (Sometimes they need a little help.)

1961

Will you please, say a prayer for my mother?  Mother of a priest.

I’ve heard stories from other cops about her and what she did that left my jaw dropped.  And, hearing over the years of my youth, about fallen human nature in its worst and rawest, I have eyes open as few do in my collar.

A bonus was: I grew up surrounded by cops.  God love them.  May they be TRUE and blue.

(She isn’t all that tech savvy, so she probably won’t see this. If she did, she would be a little embarrassed but pleased.  And I doubt she’d tell me!  )

Please share this post!

This entry was posted in Just Too Cool and tagged . Bookmark the permalink.

42 Responses to A tribute to my mother on my birthday

1. UncleBlobb says:

Happy birthday, Father Z.!!! And to your Mom!

2. Patra says:

Such a sweet tribute! Wishing you a very Happy Birthday, Fr. Z. and to your mom as well! I’ll keep both of you in my prayers.

3. Gregg the Obscure says:

glad to pray for your Mama – especially given that she is still drawing breath. i must say you favor her somewhat in your visage,

4. Clinton R. says:

May God bless you, Father and your mom as well.

5. Padre Pio Devotee says:

Happy Birthday! Many, many prayers for you and your mom and your whole family! Thank you Fr. Z for a wonderful blog, which I have been reading since I was a freshman in high school. Many more years to you and your mom.

6. Fallibilissimo says:

Nothing more beautiful and heart warming than the love that exists between mother and child. God Bless you both!

7. Mariana2 says:

Happy to pray for your dear mother, Father.

Unfortunately, I can’t see the pic. Just .

8. Mariana2 says:

“Just” was followed by a lot of > > | 3#, but it didn’t post.

9. Fr. Kelly says:

Happy birthday to the Zuhldorfs!
    Father and Father’s mother

10. IaninEngland says:

Happy birthday to you both! God bless you both.
    Thank you for what you do / have done (both of you).

11. Gab says:

Happy birthday, Father Z. Ad multos annos!

And your dear Mother is in my prayers for her spiritual and temporal welfare.

Mary, Mother of Priests, pray for them.

12. Josephus Muris Saliensis says:

Dear Fr Z, there is something wrong with the HTML, the photo is not posting.

Nevertheless, I copied and pasted the URL (wdtprs.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/10/20_09_30_Mom_Academy_800.jpg for those who didn’t find it.)

How lovely – she, and you, must have been so proud.

My prayers for you both.

13. JonPatrick says:

I also had to paste the URL to another tab to see the picture.

Happy Birthday Father! It must be painful to both you and your mother to see the sort of nonsense about police being spewed by the Marxists. My prayers go out to you, your Mom and to all men and women in blue.

14. tho says:

Your mother did a great job raising you. We, your readers, are uplifted by your spot on analysis of events affecting our church and country. Happy Birthday.

15. Johann says:

Happy birthday father.

I will say a prayer for your mother and for you as part of my daily rosary.

16. Jack in NH says:

Happy Birthday, Fr. Z!
    And, to your Mom as well; prayers to you both.

17. Curate says:

Happy birthday, Fr. Z.
    Your mother and my grandfather were in the same precinct for many years together. He says wonderful things about her. All the best to you.

18. Liz says:

I couldn’t see the picture even with cutting an pasting but I’m not that techy. I can however and will pray for your mother. I prayed for you extra yesterday but didn’t see this until today so I will pray for her today at mass and in my rosary and other prayers. God bless your mom. I remember that you said she made amazing Chocolate Chip Cookies. Mine did too!

19. Sue says:

Happy birthday, Father, to you and your beautiful mother! Praying for both of you today.

20. seashoreknits says:

Your mother sounds like quite a gal –
    beautiful inside and out.
    I loved this post –
    happy birthday to mother and son!

21. Curate says:

P.S. He is the one standing two to the right of your mother.

22. teomatteo says:

God bless the Zuhlsdorfs.

23. benedetta says:

Happy Birthday Father! And great photo! I will remember you and your mother in my prayers.

24. jaykay says:

Tanti auguri di buon compleanno, Father, and I have offered a prayer to our Mother for your mother. God bless her and you.

25. mysticalrose says:

That pic is awesome!!! Happy Birthday tonyou Father and prayers for you and your mother.

26. NOCatholic says:

Hope your birthday was happy, Father Z! Prayers for you and your Mom!

27. MitisVis says:

Happy birthday Father, great photo!

28. GHP says:

Hi Father (and happy birthday!),
    Prayer offered for your mother. Believe it or not, I’ve lived in California for 25 years, drive a Prius V, and drink cafe latte at Starbuck’s very often …… still, I was able to identify your mother without any difficulty.

What a classy police officer! What did she eventually do about the uniform problem?

Cheers,
    — Guy in Silly-Con Valley

[She never did have a uniform! She was right away a detective and remained in plain clothes for her whole career.]

29. Sieber says:

You can always tell a lady by the way she stands. Your mother is definitely a lady!
    Ad multos annos to you both.

30. SKAY says:

HAPPY BIRTHDAY a day late Father Z ! :-D

I just love that picture of the police officers and your lovely mother. She raised a wonderful
    son and both of you will be in my prayers.

31. Semper Gumby says:

Happy Birthday Fr. Z and to your mother. Ad multos annos.

32. Kathleen10 says:

What a pretty lady, and complete props to her for doing that. I can’t even imagine…Those were the actual days of breaking the ceiling, look at her, the only one, wow. I can totally see the resemblance, why do boys look like Mom and girls look like Dad, so often. It had to be interesting, being you, and you end up as a priest. She has to be a very unique lady. May God richly reward her for being the mother of a superb priest.
    And Curate, that is so incredible, what are the odds!

33. SanSan says:

Happy Birthday Fr. Z. Your mother is awesome! Love the photo! Thank you for sharing her with us. Special prayers for you both.

34. Fulco One Eye says:

Happy birthday to you and compliments to your Mom!!

Where in Wyoming did she hail from before she forsook it for Minnesota?

35. mo7 says:

Happy Birthday to you and blessings to your Mom.

36. Diane says:

I’m honored to wish you the happiest of Birthdays…..and I have whispered a lovely prayer for your lovely mother too! Thank you for sharing that terrific picture and telling us a little bit about her. How blessed you are! And I’m guessing she feels blessed by you!

37. grateful says:

Found out about your birthday and amazing picture of your Mother at another site.
    (https://asignofhope379.com/2020/10/26/tutto-fumo-e-niente-arrosto/ )
    That’s wonderful. Yes, I imagine your Mother has some amazing stories to tell.
    Thank you Jesus, for Fr. and God bless his whole family.

38. Liz says:

Now I can see the photo. Very cool!

39. Katherine says:

–Just a quick note to remark on your Mom’s lovely dress. Someone must. Just look at the wide rolled collar and the bias-cut plaid. Such good taste! And happy belated birthday!

40. iPadre says:

Happy Birthday! and God bless your mom.

41. KateD says:

Happy Birthday to you and your AMAZING mom!

“Powder River, Let ‘er buck!”

Wyoming: some of the last vestiges of what America once was.

Comments are closed.