LENTCAzT 2021: 00 Shrove Tuesday – GO TO CONFESSION

We begin again a series of daily 5 minute podcasts for Lent.  They are intended to give you a small boost every day, a little encouragement in your own use of this holy season.

Today is Shrove Tuesday, a day upon which many would seek to be “shriven” before the beginning of Lent.   In other words GO TO CONFESSION!

Today is also called “Fat Tuesday”.  When the discipline of Lent was more serious in the Latin Church, this was the last day you could eat animal fats, etc.

To be good Catholic Christians our lives must take on the qualities of the mysteries we profess.  We are our rites.  Let our lives reflect what the Church offers liturgically all through Lent.

I provide these especially in gratitude to benefactors who help me and this blog.

Play

This entry was posted in GO TO CONFESSION, LENTCAzT, Liturgy Science Theatre 3000, PODCAzT and tagged , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

7 Comments

1. Ms. M-S says:

Thanks, Fr. Z! This podcast is just what was needed this morning. As ever, you never let us down.

2. Mariana2 says:

Thanks, Father!

3. Gab says:

Thank you, Father Z!

4. Semper Gumby says:

Thank you Fr. Z.

5. aut_2b_home says:

Thank you for these podcasts, Father. Is there any chance that you could release them earlier for those of us listening in Australia, New Zealand etc who are a day ahead of you?

6. I have always released these at 00:00 CST (midnight where I am). I’ll think about this.

7. Semper Gumby says:

“To be good Catholic Christians our lives must take on the qualities of the mysteries we profess.”

Along that line, Bradley Birzer on T.S. Eliot’s poem “Ash Wednesday”:

T.S. Eliot’s “Ash-Wednesday,” a monumental work—the Purgatorio between the Inferno of “The Waste-land” and the Paradiso of the “Four Quartets”—has always been, as long as I can remember in my adult life, a comfort and a mystery to me.

I assume it remained as such even to the Great Bard of the Twentieth Century himself.

Stephen Spender, one of Eliot’s friends, remembers a student asking Eliot, after a group of Roman Catholics had studied the poem with Father Martin D’Arcy, “please, sir, what do you mean by the line; ‘Lady, three white leopards sat under a juniper tree’”? To which Eliot somewhat frustratingly replied, “I mean, ‘Lady, three white leopards sat under a juniper tree.’”

Kilimanjaro is a snow-covered mountain 19,710 feet high, and is said to be the highest mountain in Africa. Its western summit is called the Masai “Ngaje Ngai,” the House of God. Close to the western summit there is the dried and frozen carcass of a leopard. No one has explained what the leopard was seeking at that altitude.

Quaerere Deum