Search Fr. Z’s Blog
SHOPPING ONLINE? Please, come here first!
Your use of my Amazon link is a major part of my income. It helps to pay for insurance, groceries, everything. Please remember me when shopping online. Thanks in advance.
Try AmazonFresh Free Trial
Shop Amazon Gold Box - New Deals. Everyday
Shop Amazon Gift Cards - Instant Delivery or Free One-Day Shipping
Try Prime Discounted Monthly Offering
And you do need a Kindle! - HERE
Kindle Unlimited Membership Plans
About this blog…
“This blog is like a fusion of the Baroque ‘salon’ with its well-tuned harpsichord around which polite society gathered for entertainment and edification and, on the other hand, a Wild West “saloon” with its out-of-tune piano and swinging doors, where everyone has a gun and something to say. Nevertheless, we try to point our discussions back to what it is to be Catholic in this increasingly difficult age, to love God, and how to get to heaven.” – Fr. Z
Coat of Arms by D Burkart
CLICK and say your daily offerings!
Do you want to show some appreciation?
Do you have a faithful Catholic website that needs competent and reliable tech support?
YOUR RECENT COMMENTS
- Kerry: Antonin, we notice you say “ 230;weapon s are closely linked to agression in our brainsR 21;. We do not suffer from such an agression, as we are cognizant of the four rules of...
- JustaSinner: non solutam quod sonnets in Latinam linguam scriptura, pater?
- The Masked Chicken: Dear KateD, How can the Chinese have a concept of liàn yù, meaning, purgatory, if there were no Catholic influence? Ha! There is no concept of purgatory in any ancient Chinese...
- Gab: Hoping you will also do a series on the Psalms in the same way, Father Z.
- JesusFreak84: AOC already had her primary and won it, and winning the primary seals November in her district, so the only way that used Metro card gets its day is if NY DOES lose a seat in the...
- Antonin: Riots are crowds and protests that gets out of control. And there is a long history of agent provocateu rs that are driven by other ideologies besides the group protesting . But, that...
- KateD: Masked Chicken- So you DO look super in tights? – My sons would like to know if you bumped into Death Yolk (aka//SL’E GG Wilson) while there? (But they say they know you weren’t really...
- Kathleen10: I’m probably the only one who likes an explanatio n of the sonnets. I love them, love Shakespear e, but I’ve not been exposed to much of it so the meaning of the poetry...
- Kathleen10: Where have I been. I love this, and the explanatio n.
- Kathie: Father Mason̵ 7;s sermon last Sunday was one of his best yet! He talked about leaving the boat in faith and entering the mainstream world and making your mark as a Catholic! I was...
- donato2: Interestin g that the book relies on “gra nnies.R 21; This is based on limited and very anecdotal evidence but it seems to me that home cooking skills have fallen off substan...
- abralston: I went to 11 am mass and brought the 10 month old grandchild . I know our 7:30 am mass was full with every other pew being used and the choir loft being used. We’ve been back to daily...
- Antonin: I listened to the entire sermon. It seems to me that what Augustine is advocating is restorativ ely oriented justice. I am a big believer in that. In a nutshell restorativ e justice is...
- Grant M: Jakarta Pandemic? I don’ t have the book but we’v e got the real thing right here in the north-west corner of Java.
- xavier: Absolutely not. You defnd your property as the state has renounced its most fundamenta l duty. That doesn̵ 7;t stop you at from paying for them. But make sure your weapons are cleaned...
- Mariana2: KateD wrote: “I’m thinking there’s gotta be a term for an ardent fan of the Bard…” Bardista?
- JustaSinner: I don’t care if someone decides to loot a Gucci or a Macy’s or a Nike store, because that makes sure that person eats,” said Ariel Atkins, a BLM organizer& #8230;who knew those stores...
- Sundown: St Augustine, what should one do when the mob is set on destroying his property and there are no police willing to stop the mob. Should we walk away from our property and just pray for...
- JonPatrick: Our parish church is limited to 26 and we had maybe half that in attendance at our only weekend Mass on Saturday evening. We need to have God in our lives and to depend on Him especia...
- JonPatrick: An old joke I saw in a restaurant near here – “The problem with Italian food is that you eat and then 5 days later you are hungry again̶ 1;. I live in Eastern Maine off...
- The Masked Chicken: Dear KateD, I’m The Masked Chicken. Super Chicken is the one with the cape. I have the mask. Super Chicken can leap tall coops in a single bound. There is a rumor that SC is not...
- KateD: Super Chicken- The Shakespear e Ladies’ Club… ;Bardolate rs one and all! We should try their tactics on Hollywood& #8230;.
- mikeinmo: The Gospel was about Jesus walking on the water, and Peter asking Him to be saved. Our priest discussed trusting in Jesus above all else. But there was no tie in to the present day....
- hwriggles4: Fr. Z: Here’ ;s a story you probably have heard like a broken record from American tourists: I went to Italy in high school on a summer trip. First place we went for dinner they...
- FranzJosf: I made pasta from scratch this summer for the first time. Flour, eggs, table fork and knife (to cut the noodles), hands, rolling pin. A success! Everyone loved them. Now I’ve gotta...
Fr. Z’s VOICEMAIL
Nota bene: I do not answer these numbers or this Skype address. You won't get me "live". I check for messages regularly.
020 8133 4535
Books which you must have.
Don’t rely on popes, bishops and priests.
“Who is going to save our Church? Not our bishops, not our priests and religious. It is up to you, the people. You have the minds, the eyes, and the ears to save the Church. Your mission is to see that your priests act like priests, your bishops act like bishops.”
- Fulton Sheen
Therefore, ACTIVATE YOUR CONFIRMATION and get to work!
Send Snail Mail to Fr. Z
“The modern habit of doing ceremonial things unceremoniously is no proof of humility; rather it proves the offender's inability to forget himself in the rite, and his readiness to spoil for every one else the proper pleasure of ritual.”
- C.S. Lewis
This blog has to earn its keep!
PLEASE subscribe if it is useful.
That way I have steady income I can plan on, and you wind up regularly on my list of benefactors for whom I pray and for whom I periodically say Holy Mass.
For a one time donation...
I set up a
CONTINUE TO GIVE
account, which functions rather like PayPal. Some of you use it. Here is a QCode you can use with your smart phones. Try it!
Also, to receive a link to donate via Continue To Give using your smart phone SEND MESSAGE:
4827563 TO: 715-803-4772 (USA)
Some donations also come through CHASE. That works well. I don't think they take any percentage as fees.
I was at this conference last year. IT IS ON FOR THIS YEAR!
As for Latin…
"But if, in any layman who is indeed imbued with literature, ignorance of the Latin language, which we can truly call the 'catholic' language, indicates a certain sluggishness in his love toward the Church, how much more fitting it is that each and every cleric should be adequately practiced and skilled in that language!" - Pius XI
"Let us realize that this remark of Cicero (Brutus 37, 140) can be in a certain way referred to [young lay people]: 'It is not so much a matter of distinction to know Latin as it is disgraceful not to know it.'" - St. John Paul II
- @MadisonDiocese – 27 August 2020 – Bp. Hying will administer Sacrament of Confirmation in the TRADITIONAL Rite
- 12 August – LIVE VIDEO Traditional Latin Mass – 1200h CDT (GMT/UTC -5): St. Clare
- #ASonnetADay – SONNET 5
- 11 August – LIVE VIDEO Traditional Latin Mass – 1200h CDT (GMT/UTC -5): St. Emygdius
- #ASonnetADay – SONNET 4
- The Tears of St. Lawrence are intensifying
- PODCAzT 184: St. Augustine preaches to the mob who lynched a cop who killed a guy
- Fr. Z’s Kitchen: a spiffy book and thinking ahead
- #ASonnetADay – SONNET 03
- 10 August – LIVE VIDEO Traditional Latin Mass – 1200h CDT (GMT/UTC -5): St. Lawrence
- Your Sunday Sermon Notes – 10th after Pentecost (NO: 19th Ordinary) 2020
- #ASonnetADay – SONNET 02
- 9 August – LIVE VIDEO Traditional Latin Mass – 1200h CDT (GMT/UTC -5): 10th Sunday after Pentecost
- Wherein Fr. Z is challenged to record a Shakespeare #ASonnetADay
- 8 August – LIVE VIDEO Traditional NUPTIAL Mass – 1330h CDT (GMT/UTC -5): Wedding
- Wherein Fr. Hunwicke made me laugh.
- 7 August – LIVE VIDEO Traditional Latin Mass – 1200h CDT (GMT/UTC -5): St. Cajetan
- Nun TikTok
- LCWR and CMSWR: compare and contrast
- More love from @AustenI
- A great piece about St. Damien of Molokai and a couple thoughts about AOC
- JUST TOO COOL: Feast of the Transfiguration – special blessing of grapes!
- 6 August – LIVE VIDEO Traditional Latin Mass – 1200h CDT (GMT/UTC -5): Transfiguration of the Lord
- Sun Daggars!
- URGENT: CDF responds to ‘dubia’ about the baptismal formula, “WE baptize you….”
- 5 August – Traditional Latin Mass – St. Mary “at the snow” – VIDEO: 1200h CDT (GMT/UTC -5)
- VIDEO: Beirut blast hits church during Mass. Awful.
- @BishopBarron held a secret, “invite-only” meeting about the rise of “trads”. Wherein Fr. Z opines and invites (again)
- 4 August – Traditional Latin Mass – St Dominic – VIDEO: 1200h CDT (GMT/UTC -5)
- 3 August – Traditional Latin Mass – Intention: Benedict XVI – VIDEO: 1200h CDT (GMT/UTC -5)
Let us pray…
Grant unto thy Church, we beseech Thee, O merciful God, that She, being gathered together by the Holy Ghost, may be in no wise troubled by attack from her foes. O God, who by sin art offended and by penance pacified, mercifully regard the prayers of Thy people making supplication unto Thee,and turn away the scourges of Thine anger which we deserve for our sins. Almighty and Everlasting God, in whose Hand are the power and the government of every realm: look down upon and help the Christian people that the heathen nations who trust in the fierceness of their own might may be crushed by the power of thine Arm. Through our Lord Jesus Christ, Thy Son, who liveth and reigneth with Thee in the unity of the Holy Ghost, God, world without end. R. Amen.
Yes, Fr. Z is taking ads…
Because it matters what children read…
Be a “Zed-Head”!
I carry one of these super-strong rosaries in my spare mag pouch! The Swiss Guards have them too!
My "challenge coin" for my 25th anniversary of ordination in 2016.
Want one? I do exchanges with military and LEOs, etc. and you can make a donation.
PLEASE RESPOND. Pretty pleeeease?Loading ...
This is really useful when travelling… and also when you aren’t and you need backup internet NOW! I use this for my DMR “Zednet” hotspot when I’m mobile. It’s a ham radio thing.
If you travel internationally, this is a super useful gizmo for your mobile internet data. I use one. If you get one through my link, I get data rewards.
Please use my links when shopping! I depend on your help.
WDTPRS POLLLoading ...
“Rigid”? Pfffft. “Faithful!” No priest’s desk or kitchen is complete without one, for young, old, and priests in general.
Fr. Z’s stuff is everywhere
Help support Fr. Z’s Gospel of Life work at no cost to you. Do you need a Real Estate Agent? Calling these people is the FIRST thing you should do!
GREAT causes to support
Search Results for: poland
I found this in my email. I regularly get messages from the White House Office of Public Liason. This surprised me a little. Also, HERE Presidential Message in Commemoration of the 40th Anniversary of Pope John Paul II’s First Pilgrimage … Continue reading
These days it seems as if every time I turn around, I receive news of another Pontifical Mass in the Traditional Roman Rite has been celebrated somewhere. I couldn’t be more pleased. Slowly but surely, we are witnessing the reintegration … Continue reading
I read with extreme delight about the massive Rosary rally in Poland, on 7 October – the anniversary of the Battle of Lepanto and Feast of the Holy Rosary – to ring the entire 2000 mile border of the country … Continue reading
I am in a developing state of envy of the Polish people. At American Catholic I read that the Prime Minister (whose son was recently ordained for the FSSP), Beata Szyd?o, upbraided other European leaders for their head in the sand … Continue reading
I don’t know about you, but I’ve had a less than enjoyable time for a while now. That said, in this time I have also hardened my resolve in several spheres. And yet, there are little bright points. Remember that … Continue reading
From a Polish reader, comes a translation of a piece on Kronika Novus Ordo about a Eucharistic miracle: ?roda, 14 pa?dziernik 2009Eucharist Miracle in Sokolka – Curia speaksFor our English speaking readers we have: Communication from the Metropolitan Curia of … Continue reading
A lovely view of a Mass in Poland at Holy Ghost Church in Bytom: Brick by brick, people.
From a reader: I am happy to inform you that for the first time after liturgical reform in Poland, polish ordinary celebrated Traditional Latin Mass. Bishop Wac?aw Depo (55), ordinary of Zamo?? – Lubaczów diocese, celebrated the Mass on … Continue reading
In his address to priests in the Warsaw cathedral the Holy Father Pope Benedict XVI said (emphasis mine): In reality, we grow in affective maturity when our hearts adhere to God. Christ needs priests who are mature, virile, capable of … Continue reading
1 August: Feast of Blessed M. Stella and her Ten Companions, the The Martyrs of Nowogrodek – FOLLOW UP
Trying to get this under the wire. Next year I will do better. 1 August is the Feast of Blessed M. Stella and her Ten Companions, the The Martyrs of Nowogrodek, in Nazi occupied Poland in 1943. Now in Belarus. … Continue reading
There is an awful report about COVID and/or its complications striking a convent of Felician sisters in Livonia, Michigan. Beginning on Good Friday, 13 sisters have died. Many were infected and have recovered. It is hard to imagine what the … Continue reading
Here is something good. Dioceses and conferences of bishops are panicking. “BIG CROWDS SPREAD DISEASE! We have to SHUT DOWN MASSES!” No. ADD MASSES! The crowd at each will be smaller. Look at what this Polish bishop suggests. In connection … Continue reading
A couple of notes… First, this sounds good. Someday I too would like to visit Poland. A pilgrimage to Lithuania and Poland, with daily celebration of the TLM, is being planned from May 4-16, 2020, under the spiritual guidance of … Continue reading
Wherein Fr. Z is moved to pray to martyred nuns, newly discovered, about something that happened today. – UPDATED
UPDATE 20 Jan 2020 I received this nice note today: I cannot tell you why you were drawn to our martyred sisters, but I can tell you this: The order suddenly has an influx of vocations and discerners particularly in … Continue reading