SHOPPING ONLINE? Christmas is not very far away…
Please, come here first! Enter Amazon through my search box and I will get a small percentage of what you spend. (Pssst - Can't see the search box? Turn off your "ad-blocker" for this site!)
PS: I added Amazon Search Boxes for the UK and for Canada at the bottom of the blog page. Copy and paste titles I mention into those boxes and - BAZINGA! - results appear as if by magic. Kindle? HERE
“This blog is like a fusion of the Baroque ‘salon’ with its well-tuned harpsichord around which polite society gathered for entertainment and edification and, on the other hand, a Wild West “saloon” with its out-of-tune piano and swinging doors, where everyone has a gun and something to say. Nevertheless, we try to point our discussions back to what it is to be Catholic in this increasingly difficult age, to love God, and how to get to heaven.” – Fr. Z
GIFT FOR YOUR PRIESTS AND SEMINARIANS!
- If my people who are called by my name humble themselves, and pray and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin and heal their land.
- 2 Chronicles 7:14 RSV
“The liturgy is the principal organ of the Church’s Ordinary Magisterium.”
- Pius XI
Search Fr. Z’s Blog
- ajf1984 said Father Z, ever since you posted that pic of the ...
- wanda said Please Zuhlio. pretty-please?
- iprimap said Yes, JabbaPapa. God being Reality itself is not a...
- paladin said PostCatholic wrote, in reply to The Masked Chicken...
- AMDeiG said http://www.altarworthy.com/index.html
- Poor Yorek said At least the soldiers are wearing appropriate blac...
- The Masked Chicken said Dear Justalurkinfool, Doo Wop and Buddy Holly is o...
- un-ionized said AnnTherese, in my own life, the more reverent wors...
- iPadre said I thought we would hear Zuhlio sing this one!?!?
- juergensen said Where can I buy that “Holy Mass” mug p...
- bethv said If Pope Francis and those who support what I now b...
- PostCatholic said Actually, it’s not because we are talking ab...
- Jim R said To paraphrase Michaeleen Oge Flynn from The Quiet...
- The Masked Chicken said Dear Justalurkingfool, I would love to find anothe...
- The Masked Chicken said Man can do stupid things, but God cannot, therefor...
- JabbaPapa said iprimap : As for God being a part of Reality, you...
- pseudomodo said I didn’t know Lada made Jeeps.
- The Masked Chicken said Dear robtbrown, As for the LNC, yours is a meta-st...
- PostCatholic said Man can make stupid religious structures, too.
- The Masked Chicken said “It is their legal right in this and in most...
- Sonshine135 said I prefer a Mojito!
- Legisperitus said Is this Fr. Shanley any relation to the disgraced...
- PostCatholic said “…and one does not get to have sex wit...
- Rosary Rose said Thank you Father! These are very helpful. The leng...
- liebemama said Thank you.
- robtbrown said MC, Agree. Arguing can be fun, and it doesnR...
- AnnTherese said Growing up in Vatican II era did not hurt me, and...
- The Masked Chicken said “Nan is right as usual. How much of this dis...
- iprimap said I cannot compete in intellectual stature to some o...
- Scott W. said “Hardy har har. Someone added lime wedges an...
Help Monks in Wyoming (coffee) and Norcia (beer)!
Without you, there is no blog.
There is a subscription form at the bottom of this page!
Art by D Burkart
- Aedificantium enim unusquisque gladio erat accinctus.
- Nehemiah 4:18
"Where priest and people together face the same way, what we have is a cosmic orientation and also in interpretation of the Eucharist in terms of resurrection and trinitarian theology. Hence it is also an interpretation in terms of parousia, a theology of hope, in which every Mass is an approach to the return of Christ."
Joseph Ratzinger - The Feast of Faith"In those situations where homosexual unions have been legally recognized or have been given the legal status and rights belonging to marriage, clear and emphatic opposition is a duty. ... If all Catholics are obliged to oppose the legal recognition of homosexual unions, Catholic politicians are obliged to do so in a particular way, in keeping with their responsibility as politicians." CDF 2003
One of the most dangerous errors is that civilization is automatically bound to increase and spread. The lesson of history is the opposite; civilization is a rarity, attained with difficulty and easily lost. The normal state of humanity is barbarism, just as the normal surface of the planet is salt water. Land looms large in our imagination and civilization in history books, only because sea and savagery are to us less interesting. — C. S. Lewis
Ham Radio Stuff
Fr. Z - W9FRZ - OFF
QRV on: 00m 00000
Check Echolink WB0YLE-R - OFF
"One of the few things in life you can be absolutely sure about is that, if Management tells you it doesn't like your Tone, you are getting something right."
"Latin is a precise, essential language. It will be abandoned, not because it is unsuitable for the new requirements of progress, but because the new men will not be suitable for it. When the age of demagogues and charlatans begins, a language like Latin will no longer be useful, and any oaf will be able to give a speech in public and talk in such a way that he will not be kicked off the stage. The secret to this will consist in the fact that, by making use of words that are general, elusive, and sound good, he will be able to speak for an hour without saying anything. With Latin, this is impossible."
- - Giovanni Guareschi
Support them with prayer and fasting.
CLICK and say your Daily Offering!
"We as Catholics have not properly combated (the culture) because we have not been taught our Catholic Faith, especially in the depth needed to address these grave evils of our time. This is a failure of catechesis both of children and young people that has been going on for fifty years. It is being addressed, but it needs much more radical attention... What has also contributed greatly to the situation is an exaltation of the virtue of tolerance which is falsely seen as the virtue which governs all other virtues. In other words, we should tolerate other people in their immoral actions to the extent that we seem also to accept the moral wrong. Tolerance is a virtue, but it is certainly not the principal virtue; the principal virtue is charity... Charity means speaking the truth. I have encountered it (not speaking the truth) many times myself as a priest and bishop. It is something we simply need to address. There is far too much silence — people do not want to talk about it because the topic is not 'politically correct.' But we cannot be silent any longer."
Raymond Card. Burke
Help the Sisters. They have a building project. Get great soap (gifts, etc.) while helping REAL nuns!
Some OBLIGATORY reading…
Leave Voice Mail for Fr. Z
Let us pray…
Grant unto thy Church, we beseech Thee, O merciful God, that She, being gathered together by the Holy Ghost, may be in no wise troubled by attack from her foes. O God, who by sin art offended and by penance pacified, mercifully regard the prayers of Thy people making supplication unto Thee,and turn away the scourges of Thine anger which we deserve for our sins. Almighty and Everlasting God, in whose Hand are the power and the government of every realm: look down upon and help the Christian people that the heathen nations who trust in the fierceness of their own might may be crushed by the power of thine Arm. Through our Lord Jesus Christ, Thy Son, who liveth and reigneth with Thee in the unity of the Holy Ghost, God, world without end. R. Amen.
Check out the Cardinal Newman Society feed!
Yes, Fr. Z is taking ads…... and there will be nearly 1,000,000 page loads this month.
A great hymnal…
Find a Quality Realtor. Support the Gospel of Life!
If you, or someone you know, needs to buy or sell a house, office, or any kind of domestic or commercial property anywhere in the world, call Real Estate For Life on 1-877-LIFE-US1. They connect you with an expert agent with a proven track-record from a local franchised broker or strong independent. When the sale is completed, the agent gives a portion of their fee to Real Estate For Life as a referral fee. Real Estate For Life gives 80% of that fee to one of the pro-life organizations they work with: a house with a value of $150,000 means $1000 goes to the pro-life organization. It doesn't cost you anything.
And for your cybersecurity…
Mystic Monk Coffee also has TEA!
Because it matters what children read…
I carry one of these super-strong rosaries in my spare mag pouch! The Swiss Guards have them too!
Because you don’t know when you are going to need to move fast or get along without the supermarket…
My wish lists
Food For Thought
“The legalization of the termination of pregnancy is none other than the authorization given to an adult, with the approval of an established law, to take the lives of children yet unborn and thus incapable of defending themselves. It is difficult to imagine a more unjust situation, and it is very difficult to speak of obsession in a matter such as this, where we are dealing with a fundamental imperative of every good conscience — the defense of the right to life of an innocent and defenseless human being.”
- St. John Paul II
PLEASE RESPOND. Pretty pleeeease?Loading ...
WDTPRS POLLLoading ...
A morsel for thought…
"If your work is strong enough for someone to hate you, it's strong enough for someone to love you. The middle is what you should fear."
- Sean McCabe @seanwes
- “People, Look East (except the priest)!”
- ADVENTCAzT 09: Everything can be sanctified
- Fidel’s Ignoble Exit and A Drink Suggestion
- ACTION ITEM! Pontifical Vestments Fund Raising – WHITE
- ASK FATHER: Book recommendations for young men discerning priesthood
- ADVENTCAzT 08: Little drummer boys
- Veneral Sky Show
- WDTPRS – 2nd Sunday of Advent: LIONS!
- What marriage is and what it isn’t
- ADVENTCAzT 07: ‘If only things were different…”
- Leadership in the Church, Reading, and You (Fathers)
- Innovations which Vatican II did NOT call for, but which we got anyway.
- Anthony Esolen is under attack by Providence College
- ACTION ITEM! Petition in support of the Four Cardinals and Five Dubia
- ADVENTCAzT 06: Silence
- Just Too Cool: Measuring instruments altered by electromagnetic disturbances when placed on Christ’s tomb
- Douthat on The End of Catholic Marriage
- Confirmations in the Traditional Form of the Roman Rite
- IMPORTANT UPDATE – Dean of Rota: Pope could strip Four Cardinals of Cardinalate because of Five Dubia
- Ad orientem: “his perspective on the priesthood and the Mass has changed”
- ADVENTCAzT 05: Waiting… Hoping…
- For St. Andrew – Exsultet caelum laudibus
- BRICK BY BRICK: more ‘ad orientem’ news
- ADVENTCAzT 04: Suffering and Second Chances
- HOT Cyber Sales! 50% Off Sale On All Indulgences
- A saint for the young, rigid and compassionate
- Please follow Fr. Z on Twitter
- #GivingTuesday and You
- ADVENTCAzT 03: Francis’ Admonition to Priests
- Online Shopping, and You
For your consideration…
"One of the most dangerous errors is that civilization is automatically bound to increase and spread. The lesson of history is the opposite; civilization is a rarity, attained with difficulty and easily lost. The normal state of humanity is barbarism, just as the normal surface of the planet is salt water. Land looms large in our imagination and civilization in history books, only because sea and savagery are to us less interesting."
- C.S. Lewis
More food for thought:
“I expect to die in bed, my successor will die in prison and his successor will die a martyr in the public square. His successor will pick up the shards of a ruined society and slowly help rebuild civilization, as the church has done so often in human history.”
Francis Card. George
Fr. Z’s stuff is everywhere
Please follow me on Twitter!
- "It will never be known what acts of cowardice have been committed for fear of not looking sufficiently progressive."
Charles Pierre Péguy Notre Patrie, 1905"If I ought to write the truth, I am of the mind that I ought to flee all meetings of bishops, because I have never seen any happy or satisfactory outcome to any council, nor one that has deterred evils more than it has occasioned their acceptance and growth."
St. Gregory Nazianzus ep. 131 - AD 382“We will conquer your Rome, break your crosses, and enslave your women. If we do not reach that time, then our children and grandchildren will reach it, and they will sell your sons as slaves at the slave market.”
Reading and gift ideas!
Tag Archives: Islam
It seems that ISIS/ISIL put the Jordanian pilot, Lt. Muath al-Kaseasbe, in a cage, doused him with some flammable liquid, trailed some out of the cage, and lit him on fire. HERE The video is slick, carefully made. The video … Continue reading
I noticed this at American Catholic: The slogan Je Suis Charles Martel is beginning to make its way around Saint Blogs. Here is some information on the grandfather of Charlemagne who stopped the advance of Islam into what became France … Continue reading
At NRO be sure to take in every word of Samuel Gregg’s exceptional answers in a short interview on questions that have to be asked about Islam. Gregg brings us back in particular to Benedict XVI’s insightful Regensburg Address. Here … Continue reading
In American Spectator there is a piece by George Neumayr caught my eye: THE DIVIDED WEST Its “values” are too confused to eliminate jihadism. The White House’s decision to avoid the Paris rally against last week’s jihadist killings conforms to its relaxed … Continue reading
From Catholic Vote with my emphases: CATHOLIC CHURCH FAILS TO BEHEAD A SINGLE PERSON IN 2014 For the most intolerant and extreme religion in the world, this is a rather embarrassing statistic. It appears that the Catholic Church, widely recognized as the … Continue reading
Ex ore infantium… perfecisti laudem. Some scholars of Late Antiquity are skeptical about or even scoff at the ancient tales about Christian children who refused to renounce Christ even in the face of terrible pain and fear. Even in our … Continue reading
The members of the Religion of Peace like to try to kill innocent people on anniversaries, it seems. Today, the Canadian Parliament was attacked. HERE I suspect they weren’t Quebec separatists. Today is the Feast of St. John Paul II. … Continue reading
I saw this at Jihad Watch and thought…. “Yep.” On the heals of the Feast of the Holy Rosary (Our Lady of Victory)… Professor at Pontifical University of the Holy Cross in Rome: Islamic State not un-Islamic, “model is Muhammad … Continue reading
From the Daily Mail: Raped, tortured, forced to watch beheadings, then beaten when they tried to kill themselves: Yazidi girls reveal the hell they endured during ISIS captivity Two teenage Yazidi girls have described the horror of being capture by … Continue reading
At First Things George Weigel has a short piece about how Benedict XVI was right in his memorable, controversial Regensburg Lecture in 2006. He has prompted me to go back to review what Benedict said. Weigel gives a précis: Eight … Continue reading
What part of “war” is unclear? I am sadden and infuriated at the murder of the British aid worker David Haines. Practitioners of the Religion of Peace sawed his head off. His family probably won’t see this, but… I will say … Continue reading
The Holy Roman Empire and the Ottoman Empire were at war. Vienna had been under siege for months. On 11 September a coalition of Christian forces, a Holy League blessed by Bl. Pope Innocent XI, arrived with Jan III Sobieski, … Continue reading
The Daily Caller has this: Catholic Cardinal McCarrick Embraces Islam Catholic Cardinal Theodore McCarrick offered Islamic religious phrases and insisted that Islam shares foundational rules with Christianity, during a Sept. 10 press conference in D.C. “In the name of God, … Continue reading
Sure… right… these words were taken out of context. Right. However, I like the fact that some Muslims offered to help clean it up. Bottom line: Sure, maybe it was a bunch if idiot punks who did this. This may … Continue reading