I got this a while back, but am just now able to get to it. I received this via-e-mail:
Dear Fr. Zuhlsdorf,
I thought you might be interested in what was going on in the Archdiocese of Baltimore concerning the Motu Proprio and its (non) implementation. I know you are busy so I hope you won’t mind my contacting you.
I live in western Maryland (Hagerstown) and we have been trying to get a TLM in this area since the MP was released. At my own church, we presented the pastor with a 40 signature petition, but without success. I have written the Archdiocese of Baltimore twice and never received a response. Because my pastor really had little interest, I joined a larger group in the next county. It is well organized with almost 100 people. They found two priests and church willing to offer the TLM to us but they refused to do so without the OK of the Archdiocese. [Ehem… they don’t NEED it!!] (This is not surprising because the Archdiocese’s antipathy towards the TLM is well known. I had an associate pastor who learned the TLM on his own initiative, asked permission, was denied and not long after shipped off to South Carolina against this wishes). A letter was written to the Archbishop and follow up phone calls were made. No one would returned the calls or respond to the letter but we did learn that that Archbishop O’Brien was setting up a committee to decide how to handle requests and we should hear something by Lent (they have received 5 of 6 other requests from other groups, I have heard.)
Lent is here and still no response. Some people have tried calling the chancery to ask about progress but were told they now had no timetable for responding to our requests. Needless to say, we are all very disappointed and frustrated. I have attached two posts from our Yahoo group which explain in
better detail what is happening. The leaders of the group want to write a more forceful letter to Archbishop and I have personally made clear that I believe this to be a mistake. [I think so too.] I am afraid it will prompt the wrong type of response from the Archdiocese and they will "put the word out" and we will never get a TLM out here. I think we should just go straight to Ecclesia Dei. [That is a good idea.] They are considering renting an old chapel from the county government and bringing in a SSPX or FFSP priest to offer the mass to us (I have concerns about the SSPX option).
I know you are an extremely busy person and I appreciate your taking time to read this. If you have the time and you or any of our readers have any advice or suggestions for us, it would be greatly appreciated. I, of course, will understand if this is not possible for you. This is a nice group of people but they have become very frustrated at the complete lack of interest from Baltimore.
Thank you again and God Bless,
First, everyone involved should review my tips for writing to bishops and to the Holy See. Find them here.
You will need copies of everything sent to the priests and the chancery. You should include a record of dates and times you called and, if possible, summaries of the phone conversations.
The more concrete information you can send, the clearer your position is.
Above all, be very respectful when writing.
If the Archdiocese of Baltimore is stonewalling you, I am sure the PCED could be of help. However, judgments have to be made on the basis of facts, not just hearsay and the presentation of "feelings", important as feelings might be.