Search Fr. Z’s Blog
SHOPPING ONLINE? Please, always come here first!
I had to change the way that people go to amazon to buy things because... you know... why make it easy?. So, just click the link below. Once you're in, you're good to shop.
Try AmazonFresh Free Trial
Shop Amazon Gold Box - New Deals. Everyday
Shop Amazon Gift Cards - Instant Delivery or Free One-Day Shipping
Try Prime Discounted Monthly Offering
And you do need a Kindle! - HERE
Kindle Unlimited Membership Plans
About this blog…
“This blog is like a fusion of the Baroque ‘salon’ with its well-tuned harpsichord around which polite society gathered for entertainment and edification and, on the other hand, a Wild West “saloon” with its out-of-tune piano and swinging doors, where everyone has a gun and something to say. Nevertheless, we try to point our discussions back to what it is to be Catholic in this increasingly difficult age, to love God, and how to get to heaven.” – Fr. Z
Coat of Arms by D Burkart
Do you want to show some appreciation?
Don’t rely on popes, bishops and priests.
“Who is going to save our Church? Not our bishops, not our priests and religious. It is up to you, the people. You have the minds, the eyes, and the ears to save the Church. Your mission is to see that your priests act like priests, your bishops act like bishops.”
- Fulton Sheen
Therefore, ACTIVATE YOUR CONFIRMATION and get to work!
Send Snail Mail to Fr. Z
Beautiful, heirloom quality Rosaries
Fr. Z’s Blog is a Founding Member of…
“The modern habit of doing ceremonial things unceremoniously is no proof of humility; rather it proves the offender's inability to forget himself in the rite, and his readiness to spoil for every one else the proper pleasure of ritual.”
- C.S. Lewis
This blog has to earn its keep!
PLEASE subscribe if it is useful.
That way I have steady income I can plan on, and you wind up regularly on my list of benefactors for whom I pray and for whom I periodically say Holy Mass.
For a one time donation...
I set up a
CONTINUE TO GIVE
account, which functions rather like PayPal. Some of you use it. Here is a QCode you can use with your smart phones. Try it!
Also, to receive a link to donate via Continue To Give using your smart phone SEND MESSAGE:
4827563 TO: 715-803-4772 (USA)
Some donations also come through CHASE. That works well. I don't think they take any percentage as fees.
2020 TLM Pilgrimage to the Holy Land
YOUR RECENT COMMENTS
- Marion Ancilla Mariae II: TonyO wrote, “So, what the author is saying (on behalf of the pope) is that nobody can know what the pope means about something. . . . even the other party, if he...
- veritas vincit: While fully agreeing with the descriptio n of Voice of the Faithful in the Catholicit y link, I do need to point out that the article is dated. Deal Hudson who wrote that article...
- Marion Ancilla Mariae II: I believe deaconesse s were used in the early Church because many of the people being baptized were no longer infants. The early Church practiced full-immer sion bapti...
- Semper Gumby: Mario Bird: Good one. Though this is probably the first, as my attempts at answering church bell audio and unidentifi able liturgical items land in the combox like a sack of soy...
- Father Bartoloma: Good to see Msgr. Pope as a deacon at the throne. I wonder why they left the free-stand ing altar in the sanctuary? I know that it has a special mechanism built into it whereby it...
- JonPatrick: The Catholic Thing has a good discussion about why women can’ t be ordained https://ww w.thecatho licthing.o rg/2019/11 /17/women- priests/
- Anne C.: Amen – I was there! We (Mankind) weren̵ 7;t listening, so Jesus sent his Mother! Besides Quito, he also mentioned LaSalette, Fatima and Akita. We need to become willing to give...
- j.g.t. webb: She of Altarworth y is indeed lovely. I know her quite well, so your shout-out gave me an opportunit y to feel mildly, vicariousl y famous.
- HvonBlumenthal: Obviously once you have the job of conductor of a bus you are perfectly qualified to conduct an orchestra, since the same word is used. I think that the campaign for women deacons...
- FrSteveHartley: Perhaps they are confused by what the Pope has been saying as of late. Talk about trying to prep the Church for Deaconetts . Lord have mercy. Is he really going to lead the Church...
- TonyO: From the article: If there is something during these years that the pope has taught to journalist s – and to anyone who may wish to listen to him – it is that what he says...
- TonyO: Mostly, the Pope is exemplifyi ng the love and mercy of Jesus more than law and judgment–a nd that has been truly a gift for our Church. I feel sad for those who are blind to this. There is...
- moosix1974: Pretty sure that was Msgr. Charles Pope with the archbishop . Father, why are the two “dea cons” ; with him not wearing surplices& gt;
- Mario Bird: Gumby, you rogue. You always win these contests. For the record, I would like to note that the pic of the moustachio ed, capped, and star-festo oned Saint bears strong resemblanc e to a...
- magister63: Yes, it was beautiful! But Fr. Z, maybe you could launch a campaign to get proper, rubrical altar cloths? That beautiful altar looks like it has a towel draped over it. God bless, and...
- Just Some Guy: What if we all signed up and raided the meeting with traditiona l Catholic Theology 8230;. Unless, by “mee ting” ; it means set people having a one sided conversati on...
- Benedict Joseph: This cat is a prisoner of a bubble of his own design. Give me strength. Over the edge.
- WarriorSpirit: I saw the Archbishop ’s eyes tear up quiet heavily at the end of the Salve Regina. I saw that as I watched the Holy Mass on Saturday also, but this was closer than my TV. I...
- WarriorSpirit: For one who has no means of attending a Tridentine Holy Mass, this Pontifical Mass was music to my soul. It was beautiful, solemn, and holy in my opinion. How I long to attend...
- roma247: The question is, did the Pope and his hagiograph er lift this directly out of Orwell, or did they imagine that they were being completely original? I keep getting images of pigs walking...
- William: In other news, the documents of Vatican II are hailed for their clarity.
- rcg: It is my understand ing that the fear of punishment is called ‘attrition ’ and sufficient but less than contrition which is founded on sorrow for hurting someone we love as much as we should...
- JEF5570: I wish somebody would explain the whole one sacrament, three orders/deg rees to Trent Horn of Catholic Answers. That guy crashed and burned on this issue.
- Semper Gumby: Kerry: Erin go Bragh.
- Semper Gumby: Thanks Fr. Z. Great post and comments. Thanks to FrankWalsh ingham, whose comment produced a link by our genial and mischievou s host to a larger photo of the painting (star on collar...
CLICK and say your daily offerings!
- ASK FATHER: Why didn’t the Assistant Deacons wear surplices during the Pontifical Mass at the Shrine? #MassoftheAmericas Wherein Fr. Z analyzes and then rants.
- ACTION ITEM! Seminarians are waiting for BIRETTAS! Priests are waiting for SATURNOS!
- Ultra-dissident “Voice of the Faithful” to host an online meeting about deaconettes. Anyone can register!
- For some lighter reading
- Your Sunday Sermon Notes
- VIDEO – Pontifical Mass at the Shrine of the Immaculate Conception
- My View For Awhile: Domum
- They pretend it’s about language, but in reality it’s about content.
- MY VIEW FOR AWHILE: DC Mass Edition
- Some reading for the road
- The demonic Pachamama idol mess isn’t going to go away
- When life gives you lemons, you can help seminarians
- Some interesting reading for this morning
- @FatherTF good explanation of “Perfect Contrition”
- BEER OPPORTUNITY from the traditional Benedictine Monks of Norcia! Think: Thanksgiving and gifts
- Veterans Day & Remembrance Day
- Your Sunday Sermon Notes
- ACTION ITEM: Feedback Project
- Rome: Mass at St. John Lateran for Dedication – wierd
- Happy 244th Birthday USMC!
- @DouthatNYT interviews Card. Burke
- WDTPRS: Dedication of St. John Lateran
- CQ CQ CQ Ham Radio Saturday: ZedNet revived
- Wherein Fr. Z maps weird things, connects dots, rants a lot, and offers an ACTION ITEM!
- UPDATED: United Nations published environment, population control children’s book called “Pachamama”
- ASK FATHER: I’ve lost all desire and motivation to pray, fast, etc. It all seems so pointless.
- WDTPRS – 32nd Ordinary Sunday: Your mission as a Christian
- Earthquake near Rome
- ASK FATHER: Gaining indulgences and “the Pope’s intentions”. Prayer for the Pope, or for what the Pope designates?
- ASK FATHER: Should I accept an invitation to be installed as an acolyte?
Let us pray…
Grant unto thy Church, we beseech Thee, O merciful God, that She, being gathered together by the Holy Ghost, may be in no wise troubled by attack from her foes. O God, who by sin art offended and by penance pacified, mercifully regard the prayers of Thy people making supplication unto Thee,and turn away the scourges of Thine anger which we deserve for our sins. Almighty and Everlasting God, in whose Hand are the power and the government of every realm: look down upon and help the Christian people that the heathen nations who trust in the fierceness of their own might may be crushed by the power of thine Arm. Through our Lord Jesus Christ, Thy Son, who liveth and reigneth with Thee in the unity of the Holy Ghost, God, world without end. R. Amen.
Yes, Fr. Z is taking ads…
Because it matters what children read…
Be a “Zed-Head”!
I carry one of these super-strong rosaries in my spare mag pouch! The Swiss Guards have them too!
My "challenge coin" for my 25th anniversary of ordination in 2016.
Want one? I do exchanges with military and LEOs, etc. and you can make a donation.
PLEASE RESPOND. Pretty pleeeease?Loading ...
WDTPRS POLLLoading ...
“Rigid”? Pfffft. “Faithful!” No priest’s desk or kitchen is complete without one, for young, old, and priests in general.
Fr. Z’s stuff is everywhere
Help support Fr. Z’s Gospel of Life work at no cost to you. Do you need a Real Estate Agent? Calling these people is the FIRST thing you should do!
GREAT causes to support
Help Monks in Wyoming (coffee – UPDATED LINK) and Norcia (beer) and the wonderful "Soap Sisters" of Summit, NJ!
Please follow me on Twitter!
If you travel internationally, this is a super useful gizmo for your mobile internet data. I use one. If you get one through my link, I get data rewards.
Daily Archives: 17 February 2008
I got this question via e-mail: I have consulted several priests from traditional orders regarding the celebration of St. Joseph’s feast day on March 15 this year. They tell me this date applies only to the novus ordo and that … Continue reading
I got this a while back, but am just now able to get to it. I received this via-e-mail: Dear Fr. Zuhlsdorf, I thought you might be interested in what was going on in the Archdiocese of Baltimore concerning the … Continue reading
I got a question by e-mail (edited). I hope you can help out. Dear Fr. Z, My family has started attending the extraordinary form of the mass, and it has been such a blessing to us! I enjoy reading and … Continue reading
Over at NLM we find a photo taken during the Lenten exercises for the Holy Father and curia. The altar in the Redemptoris Mater sure seems awfully close to that wall, doesn’t it?
I got a very interesting letter from a seminarian who will remined nameless. The seminarian asked the Commission some questions. The answers are illuminating. First, the Commission says that seminarians "have the right" to be instructed also in the older … Continue reading
I travelled to Oxford this week to participate in a colloquium on blogging at the Catholic Chaplaincy sponsored by the Newman Society. I had a chance to walk around the town a bit and enjoy the sights in the company … Continue reading
This is in from Ave Maria University: Dear Ave Maria Community Members, After extensive discussion involving the University’s leadership and priests and others, the Chaplain’s Office is happy to announce that our newly adjusted Mass schedule for Ave Maria University … Continue reading
I got this by e-mail. Very interesting and good news. Fr Z, Got a flyer this A.M. that reads: Father William Young will begin celebrating the Traditional Latin Mass on Sundays at 11:30am on March 2, 2008 at Holy Rosary … Continue reading
I am trying to get to the bottom of something which seems to be going on at Mundelein Seminary in the USA. A seminarian sent me a copy of a letter that the Rector of Mundelein sent, I believe, to … Continue reading
The Times has an interesting piece today about the Chinese possibly doing an about-face on a future visit from Pope Benedict XVI. My emphases and comments. From The Sunday TimesFebruary 17, 2008China repents and seeks to woo PopeMichael Sheridan, Far … Continue reading
My friend KK sent me the following article from the Kansas City Star, to which I have applied my own emphases and comments. Prayer retains veiled remarks Bill TammeusColumnistKansas City Star Earlier this month Pope Benedict XVI ordered good changes … Continue reading