As I posted elsewhere, the USCCB is working to mobilize some 19,000 parishes nationwide to voice concerns about health care reform and potential funding of abortion or exclusion of conscience clauses.
The USCCB has developed materials for parish bulletins, including a bulletin insert, asking that all parishes distribute them.
To this end, His Excellency Most Rev. John Nienstedt has sent this memo to parishes in the Archdiocese of St. Paul and Minneapolis.
Here is the meat of the PDF the Archbishop sent out:
The USCCB is asking for our special help in activating our Catholic people.
I support this request with an appeal that you activate the people of your parish in the following ways:
- Encourage parish-wide distribution of the enclosed "Bulletin Insert," which assists parishioners in sending a message to Congress.
- The Bulletin Insert should be printed or hand-stuffed in every parish bulletin and/or distributed in pews or at church entrances as soon as possible.
- Congressional votes may take place as soon as early November.
- Direct people to the USCCB health care reform website for updates, additional tools and resources (www.usccb.org/healthcare).
- And finally, please encourage the people of your parish to pray that Congress will act to insure that needed health care reform will truly protect the life, dignity and health care of all and that we will raise our voices to protect the unborn and the most vulnerable and to preserve our freedom of conscience.
I say that if 100 people from every parish in the USA called their Congressman, that would make a difference.
100 x 19,000
I say, don’t just pray… do something.
Folks… Catholics have been sleepy, complacent, for the very long time. They have been so because their shepherds have been sleepy.
WDTPRS says, "NO MORE!"
Wake up and act.
With a strong Catholic identity, act in the public square!