16 August: St. Joachim (1962MR)

Today in the traditional Roman calendar is the Feast of St. Joachim, father of the Blessed Virgin Mary.

St. Joachim’s name in Hebrew (יְהוֹיָקִים) means "he whom YHWH has set up".

His feast was not in the 1570 Missale Romanum. It was added in 1584 for 20 March (the day after the Feast of St. Joseph).  In 1738 it was moved to the Sunday after the Octave of the Assumption of Mary.  All of those Octaves were eliminated sometime before 1962.  Pope St. Pius X  moved it 16 August in order to associate it more closely with the Blessed Virgin Mary.  In the post-Conciliar calendar St. Joachim’s feast was joined to that of St. Anne, his wife and mother of the Blessed Virgin for 26 July.

I am happy to have relics of St. Joachim and St. Anne.

Technorati Tags:

This entry was posted in Saints: Stories & Symbols and tagged . Bookmark the permalink.

15 Responses to 16 August: St. Joachim (1962MR)

1. Konichiwa says:

Nice, Father. I’d be very happy, smiling ear to ear if I had a holy relic like that.

2. Father G says:

Happy feastday!

The parish where I am stationed is under the patronage of Saint Joachim and there is mission chapel under the patronage of Saint Ann. We celebrate their feast on July 26 (New Roman Calendar).

I have a relic of Saint Ann in my collection of relics, but would love to have a relic of Saint Joachim for the parish.

On the memorials and feast of saints, I display the saint’s relic if I have it. The people enjoy the opportunity to venerate them.

There are those who doubt the authenticity of certain relics, even with a certificate of authenticity. It bothers me when I hear such doubts, even among clergy.

3. Elly says:

Does the Church still make relics of saints?

Elly

4. Father G: Any suggestions on how respond to those who doubt the authenticity of a particular relic?

“Prove that it isn’t.”

5. Geoffrey says:

“Does the Church still make relics of saints?”

Yes, but though it seems rare. Usually during the beatification and canonization process, the person in question is exhumed and first class relics may be taken then.

Canon Law forbids the selling of relics, so I am not sure how to obtain them. I do have a relic of Venerable Pope John Paul the Great; a piece of his cassock fixed to a prayer card for his beatification and canonization. The Cause gave these away, for a donation covering postage. Of course, I am not sure when it “officially” becomes a relic… when declared a Servant of God? Venerable? Blessed? Saint?

6. Jack Hughes says:

As I’m sure I’ve said before I would love to have a Relic of St. Philomena and St. Mary Magdalne, but the closest I’ll come is the Relicquary which was borrowed by the FSSP for the Mass of the Assumption yesterday.

7. Father G says:

The following comes from the website of the Church of Santa Susanna, the parish of the USA, in Rome:

9. My mother has a great devotion to the Little Flower, how can I get a relic of the saint for her birthday?

At one time, it was quite common to find a number of places in Rome that would allow you to acquire a relic. A relic can never be purchased because it is a holy object, but you would make an offering for the metal case in which it came. The largest collection of relics in Rome belongs to the Vatican and it kept at the Lateran. Actually they are kept at a small convent nearby. The practice of making relics available to the public ended more than ten years ago at the insistence of the Vatican. Today you can apply to this Reliquarium for a specific relic only with a Nihil Obstat or a letter of permission from your local bishop. You must also state that the relic is to be used for a church altar or other public religious purpose. The private ownership of relics is highly discouraged. ( http://www.santasusanna.org/faqLinks/faqLinks.html )

8. Iconophilios says:

St Joachim’s name, accurately transliterated, from Hebrew to IPA, is: y?’hu’y?’qiym.

9. Iconophilios says:

Sorry, some of the letters aren’t showing.

10. YadaYada says:

II class feast, like Anne. Gloria but no credo.

11. The encouragement and discouragement of relics in private hands depends a lot of what class of relic you’re talking about. First class relics is what makes the Vatican a bit nervous these days. (And to be fair, that would be a big responsibility.) Other kinds of relic are still in need of care and respect, but the potential for abuse or misunderstanding is less.

12. Venerator Sti Lot says:

With respect to uncertainties as to the authenticity of a relic, may I suggest for consideration the response of the (Church of England) Archdeacon (and avid reader of Julian of Norwich) in Charles Williams’s novel, ‘War in Heaven’, on learning of a confident scholarly case that the old chalice at his parish is in fact the Holy Grail? He prays, “Ah, fair sweet Lord, […] let me keep this Thy vessel, if it be Thy vessel; for love’s sake, fair Lord, if Thou hast held it in Thy hands, let me take it into mine. And, if not, let me be courteous still to it for Thy sake, courteous Lord; since this might well have been that, and that was touched by Thee.”

13. Jack Hughes says:

as far as I am aware in the oldee days it was quite common for family’s (especially ones who could afford to slip the cardinal a new castle or two) to acquire relics in a family reliquary for private veneration – whilst I appreciate the need for caution, responsabiilty and a process surely the world wouldn’t end if the Catholic public were able to venerate relics at a family altar?

14. Venerator Sti Lot says:

One of the Dutch Papal Zouaves collected over 400 hundred relics during his time of service in Rome, including one for a saint for each day of the year! (The reliquary case is now in the Zouave Museum in Oudenbosch in the Netherlands.)

15. YoungCatholic says:

You can get a piece of the dress that covers the statue of Saint Philomena’s from here: