Sr. Mary Ann Walsh posted on the USCCB blog some “rules” for social media and evangelization.
I’ll edit this down to some bullet points, so that you will have to go over there and give that blog some traffic.
The Gospel and Social Media
Two caveats for evangelizers, that is, those who spread the Gospel today: 1. Use social media and 2. Follow its rules. It’s a new day in church work: the computer has replaced the pen, 15 minutes seems like eternity, and if you don’t get your message out fast, the audience disappears.
Here are some rules for social media evangelization:
1. Translate church teaching.
2. Avoid church speak.
3. Use images, as Jesus did.
4. Understand that social media is social.
5. Social media sometimes calls for a suit of armor. [I’ll say.]
6. Use the delete button if comments cross the line of decency, but, hopefully, not often.
7. Spread Catholicism’s fun parts.
8. Remember rules are changing.
9. Remember web messages live forever.
10. Keep it short.
Perhaps you will have your own suggestions.