Search Fr. Z’s Blog
SHOPPING ONLINE? Please, always come here first!
I had to change the way that people go to amazon to buy things because... you know... why make it easy?. So, just click the link below. Once you're in, you're good to shop.
Try AmazonFresh Free Trial
Shop Amazon Gold Box - New Deals. Everyday
Shop Amazon Gift Cards - Instant Delivery or Free One-Day Shipping
Try Prime Discounted Monthly Offering
And you do need a Kindle! - HERE
Kindle Unlimited Membership Plans
About this blog…
“This blog is like a fusion of the Baroque ‘salon’ with its well-tuned harpsichord around which polite society gathered for entertainment and edification and, on the other hand, a Wild West “saloon” with its out-of-tune piano and swinging doors, where everyone has a gun and something to say. Nevertheless, we try to point our discussions back to what it is to be Catholic in this increasingly difficult age, to love God, and how to get to heaven.” – Fr. Z
Coat of Arms by D Burkart
Do you want to show some appreciation?
Don’t rely on popes, bishops and priests.
“Who is going to save our Church? Not our bishops, not our priests and religious. It is up to you, the people. You have the minds, the eyes, and the ears to save the Church. Your mission is to see that your priests act like priests, your bishops act like bishops.”
- Fulton Sheen
Therefore, ACTIVATE YOUR CONFIRMATION and get to work!
Send Snail Mail to Fr. Z
Beautiful, heirloom quality Rosaries
Fr. Z’s Blog is a Founding Member of…
“The modern habit of doing ceremonial things unceremoniously is no proof of humility; rather it proves the offender's inability to forget himself in the rite, and his readiness to spoil for every one else the proper pleasure of ritual.”
- C.S. Lewis
This blog has to earn its keep!
PLEASE subscribe if it is useful.
That way I have steady income I can plan on, and you wind up regularly on my list of benefactors for whom I pray and for whom I periodically say Holy Mass.
For a one time donation...
I set up a
CONTINUE TO GIVE
account, which functions rather like PayPal. Some of you use it. Here is a QCode you can use with your smart phones. Try it!
Also, to receive a link to donate via Continue To Give using your smart phone SEND MESSAGE:
4827563 TO: 715-803-4772 (USA)
Some donations also come through CHASE. That works well. I don't think they take any percentage as fees.
2020 TLM Pilgrimage to the Holy Land
YOUR RECENT COMMENTS
- pascal788: Sorry to say our sermon was a meaningles s jumble of platitudes . The priest has difficulti es with his diction so a lot of what he says is lost. What his message was I have no idea....
- HvonBlumenthal: At the SSPX chapel at Woippy, near Metz, France, the sermon was on the subject of reparation . The chief point was that when you go to confession , God forgives you. But this does...
- Taryn: I loved the Ave Maria and thought it was wonderfull y performed. As far as dissonance goes, it was minimal. Besides, dissonance (tasteful dissonance ) only makes the resolution s that much...
- PostCatholic: I’ll take a guess at Vincent Capodanno. My wife used to work for AMS and they were constantly promoting his Cause. [Not the great Vince Capdanno. That was Vietnam. This is...
- PostCatholic: I hope, given your interest in astronomy, you also got to poke about the special exhibit on “Lun ar Photograph s.” The NGA isn’ t the series of caverns that the Met...
- Mary-Kathleen: Our priest spoke about Purgatory. He talked about what it is and what it is for, and the Biblical basis for our belief in it. He also corrected a common misconcept ion: “...
- Hidden One: No sour grapes here!
- adriennep: The Archbishop knows that this is a brilliant cover for Pachamama worship. It was Our Lady of Guadalupe who was responsibl e for many millions to convert to the Catholic faith from their...
- Hidden One: @Imrahil Instituted acolytes have not always been first instituted as lectors. I know that the logic of it all is that they should be, but that does not in fact always occur. Further...
- Chris Garton-Zavesky: Former pastor back in town. Mentioned that in his last apostolate (Mauritius ) the hospitals don’ t have single rooms, so the Hindus and the other non-Christ ians see...
- FrankWalshingham: It was a splendid liturgy and proved that modern musicians can write good liturgical music. There was no dissonance as the wonderful music and the voices of the chorus resona...
- majuscule: Here is a link to just the Aue Maria from that Mass. https://yo utu.be/tQa wLp_GJb4 Who was the deacon? He had an awesome voice when he chanted the Gospel and the confeitior before...
- Kerry: Or maybe Chaplain Fr. Patrick Dore?
- Kerry: Francis P. Duffy?
- Salient: It was good to briefly meet you yesterday after Mass! The Mass was very beautiful indeed! With the wonderful music, spectacula r architectu re*, invigorati ng incense, and meditat...
- kurtmasur: I was thoroughly impressed with the Holy Mass in the video, both liturgical ly and musically. The Mass in this video has taught me that indeed we can compose new additions to sacred...
- Charles E Flynn: @Johanna, You might enjoy this book: Spiritual Direction From Dante: Avoiding the Inferno , by Paul Pearson
- Cratchit: Father, have you ever thought of commentati ng or narrating a video of a Pontifical Mass? Sort of like what Archbishop Fulton Sheen did for a Mass in 1940. It would be very informativ e...
- The Cobbler: Everyone else is trying to guess the chaplain and I’m wondering why the old dude is pulling the hair of the young dude. Also that first picture looks like a statue that belongs...
- Johanna: We had the fifth in a series of sermons I have been enjoying very much, about Dante̵ 7;s Inferno. This one was about the second circle of hell, Paolo and Francesca, and differe...
- Kenneth Wolfe: Good to see you there yesterday. Although I was not a fan of the music (drama and dissonance , more suited for a modern opera) I commend the organizers for identifyin g and drawing a...
- Zephyrinus: Dear Fr. Z. How about Fr. Willie Doyle ? (see https://en .wikipedia .org/wiki/ Willie_Doy le) Any luck ?
- Suzanne Carl: Our pastor spoke about the evils of socialism (envy), and unbridled capitalism (greed). He quoted Pope Leo XIII. Pretty cool for a NO Mass.
- acardnal: God bless Archbishop Cordileone .
- straphaelguy: Our associate preached on “Bri nging an Era to and end” . The points I remember best are that we need to look at ourselves in these days and get rid of all that is disor...
CLICK and say your daily offerings!
- Your Sunday Sermon Notes
- VIDEO – Pontifical Mass at the Shrine of the Immaculate Conception
- My View For Awhile: Domum
- They pretend it’s about language, but in reality it’s about content.
- MY VIEW FOR AWHILE: DC Mass Edition
- Some reading for the road
- The demonic Pachamama idol mess isn’t going to go away
- When life gives you lemons, you can help seminarians
- Some interesting reading for this morning
- @FatherTF good explanation of “Perfect Contrition”
- BEER OPPORTUNITY from the traditional Benedictine Monks of Norcia! Think: Thanksgiving and gifts
- Veterans Day & Remembrance Day
- Your Sunday Sermon Notes
- ACTION ITEM: Feedback Project
- Rome: Mass at St. John Lateran for Dedication – wierd
- Happy 244th Birthday USMC!
- @DouthatNYT interviews Card. Burke
- WDTPRS: Dedication of St. John Lateran
- CQ CQ CQ Ham Radio Saturday: ZedNet revived
- Wherein Fr. Z maps weird things, connects dots, rants a lot, and offers an ACTION ITEM!
- UPDATED: United Nations published environment, population control children’s book called “Pachamama”
- ASK FATHER: I’ve lost all desire and motivation to pray, fast, etc. It all seems so pointless.
- WDTPRS – 32nd Ordinary Sunday: Your mission as a Christian
- Earthquake near Rome
- ASK FATHER: Gaining indulgences and “the Pope’s intentions”. Prayer for the Pope, or for what the Pope designates?
- ASK FATHER: Should I accept an invitation to be installed as an acolyte?
- LATIN MASS MADNESS!!!!
- Archbp. Viganò speaks: “We are in the grip of a religious chaos of gigantic proportion….” – a “satanic plan”
- ASK FATHER: For Communion can I chose to go only to the priest and not the lay ministers?
- Wherein Austen Ivereigh channels his inner Hillary
Let us pray…
Grant unto thy Church, we beseech Thee, O merciful God, that She, being gathered together by the Holy Ghost, may be in no wise troubled by attack from her foes. O God, who by sin art offended and by penance pacified, mercifully regard the prayers of Thy people making supplication unto Thee,and turn away the scourges of Thine anger which we deserve for our sins. Almighty and Everlasting God, in whose Hand are the power and the government of every realm: look down upon and help the Christian people that the heathen nations who trust in the fierceness of their own might may be crushed by the power of thine Arm. Through our Lord Jesus Christ, Thy Son, who liveth and reigneth with Thee in the unity of the Holy Ghost, God, world without end. R. Amen.
Yes, Fr. Z is taking ads…
Because it matters what children read…
Be a “Zed-Head”!
I carry one of these super-strong rosaries in my spare mag pouch! The Swiss Guards have them too!
My "challenge coin" for my 25th anniversary of ordination in 2016.
Want one? I do exchanges with military and LEOs, etc. and you can make a donation.
PLEASE RESPOND. Pretty pleeeease?Loading ...
WDTPRS POLLLoading ...
“Rigid”? Pfffft. “Faithful!” No priest’s desk or kitchen is complete without one, for young, old, and priests in general.
Fr. Z’s stuff is everywhere
Help support Fr. Z’s Gospel of Life work at no cost to you. Do you need a Real Estate Agent? Calling these people is the FIRST thing you should do!
GREAT causes to support
Help Monks in Wyoming (coffee – UPDATED LINK) and Norcia (beer) and the wonderful "Soap Sisters" of Summit, NJ!
Please follow me on Twitter!
If you travel internationally, this is a super useful gizmo for your mobile internet data. I use one. If you get one through my link, I get data rewards.
Daily Archives: 4 December 2008
Many thanks to J of AL who sent a wonderful panettone from my wish list! I am very grateful. I shall have to find some prosecco to go with it and people to share it. In the meantime, it’s off … Continue reading
From a reader: Thanks for the website. It nevers fails to engage me. Deo gratia. I have a cousin an elderly priest in Ireland. He visited us last week and we were discussing the TLM and I mentioned, "Say the … Continue reading
I decided during Advent to drill into the hymns in the Liturgia Horarum. We begin today with the hymn for Vespers called Conditor alme siderum, with its variation Creator alme siderum as it was in Breviarium Romanum. I dissect this … Continue reading
From Mark Shea‘s place. On Friday, December 12, the Pro-Life Action League will be co-sponsoring a solemn Mass at noon at Federal Plaza in downtown Chicago in honor of the Feast of Our Lady of Guadalupe. This Mass, the first … Continue reading
Reminder: TLM in St George’s Cathedral, SouthwarkSaturday, December 6, 2008 11:00am – 12:15pm
From CNA: Italian bakers give Pope a thousand loaves of ‘panettone’ for the poor Rome, Dec 4, 2008 / 11:33 am (CNA).- L’Osservatore Romano reported this week that the Italian Federation of Bread Bakers has donated to the Pope one … Continue reading
Yes, I have his RSS in my feed reader…. I can’t help it… I do…
I just found an interesting Firefox addon. Twitter Bar. https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/4664
We continue our look at the Super oblata or "Prayer over the gifts" for Masses during Advent. Today’s Super oblata is the same as that used for Monday of this week. You can consult the entry HERE.
From a reader: Perhaps you could pass along the news that Rorate Masses are being celebrated at Assumption Grotto each Tuesday evening, in the ordinary form, throughout Advent. They will try to provide candles for a stipend, but it would … Continue reading
From the GMTA Department, I had a note from the great Fr. Jay Finelli last night just as I was working on my PODCAzT about the Advent hymn Conditor alme siderum. Get a load of this! Dear Fr. John, I … Continue reading
From the Brick By Brick Department a reader sends this: St. Brendan’s Catholic Church in Bellingham, MA384 Hartford AveBellingham, MA Fr. Mullen will begin celebrating the Traditional Latin Mass ("TLM") in December here at St. Brendan’s. The TLM will be offered … Continue reading
I was alerted to a piece on a blog called Island Envoy, the blog of the papal nuncio to a whole bunch of places in the Carribean, the Antilles. He is Most Reverend Archbishop Thomas Gullickson, originally a priest of … Continue reading
I had a note from someone suggesting that there might be a problem on the blog with reading comments. Anyone having problems? I can’t see anything wrong.