SHOPPING ONLINE? Please, come here first!
About this blog…
“This blog is like a fusion of the Baroque ‘salon’ with its well-tuned harpsichord around which polite society gathered for entertainment and edification and, on the other hand, a Wild West “saloon” with its out-of-tune piano and swinging doors, where everyone has a gun and something to say. Nevertheless, we try to point our discussions back to what it is to be Catholic in this increasingly difficult age, to love God, and how to get to heaven.” – Fr. Z
Coat of Arms by D Burkart
Wonderful about St. Joseph! “Terror of Demons”
ABORTION PILL RESCUE NETWORK
- The most evident mark of God’s anger and the most terrible castigation He can inflict upon the world are manifested when He permits His people to fall into the hands of clerics who are priests more in name than in deed, priests who practice the cruelty of ravening wolves rather than the charity and affection of devoted shepherds.
St. John Eudes
Donate using VENMO
GREAT BEER from Traditional Benedictine Monks in Italy
CLICK and say your daily offerings!
Do you want to show some appreciation?
Do you have a faithful Catholic website that needs competent and reliable tech support?
NEW OPPORTUNITY – 10% off with code: FATHERZ10
Fr. Z’s VOICEMAIL
Nota bene: I do not answer these numbers or this Skype address. You won't get me "live". I check for messages regularly.
020 8133 4535
YOUR RECENT COMMENTS
Books which you must have.
This REALLY helps! And it’s great coffee (and tea)
I use this when I travel both in these USA and abroad. Very useful. Fast enough for Zoom. I connect my DMR (ham radio) through it. If you use my link, they give me more data. A GREAT back up.
Don’t rely on popes, bishops and priests.
“He [Satan] will set up a counter-Church which will be the ape of the Church because, he the devil, is the ape of God. It will have all the notes and characteristics of the Church, but in reverse and emptied of its divine content. It will be a mystical body of the anti-Christ that will in all externals resemble the mystical body of Christ. In desperate need for God, whom he nevertheless refuses to adore, modern man in his loneliness and frustration will hunger more and more for membership in a community that will give him enlargement of purpose, but at the cost of losing himself in some vague collectivity.”
“Who is going to save our Church? Not our bishops, not our priests and religious. It is up to you, the people. You have the minds, the eyes, and the ears to save the Church. Your mission is to see that your priests act like priests, your bishops act like bishops.”
- Fulton Sheen
Therefore, ACTIVATE YOUR CONFIRMATION and get to work!
Send Snail Mail to Fr. Z
- “The modern habit of doing ceremonial things unceremoniously is no proof of humility; rather it proves the offender's inability to forget himself in the rite, and his readiness to spoil for every one else the proper pleasure of ritual.”
- C.S. Lewis
This blog has to earn its keep!
PLEASE subscribe via PayPal if it is useful.
That way I have steady income I can plan on, and you wind up regularly on my list of benefactors for whom I pray and for whom I periodically say Holy Mass.
In view of the rapidly changing challenges I now face, I would like to add more $10/month subscribers. Will you please help?
For a one time donation...
As for Latin…
"But if, in any layman who is indeed imbued with literature, ignorance of the Latin language, which we can truly call the 'catholic' language, indicates a certain sluggishness in his love toward the Church, how much more fitting it is that each and every cleric should be adequately practiced and skilled in that language!" - Pius XI
"Let us realize that this remark of Cicero (Brutus 37, 140) can be in a certain way referred to [young lay people]: 'It is not so much a matter of distinction to know Latin as it is disgraceful not to know it.'" - St. John Paul II
- Daily Rome Shot 535, etc.
- Powerful people think that they can suppress the Traditional Latin Mass. They will not succeed. This is one reason why. VIDEO
- Daily Rome Shot 534, etc.
- The Assumption of the Blessed Virgin Mary: The 4th Glorious Mystery
- Daily Rome Shot 533, etc.
- ASK FATHER: What hobbies are permitted on Sundays?
- Your Sunday Sermon Notes: 10th Sunday after Pentecost (N.O. 20th Sunday)
- 14 August – St. Maximilian Kolbe : priest, martyr, #HamRadio operator. The path of “Oblatio Vitae” for Beatification. #CQ
- YOUR URGENT PRAYER REQUESTS
- ASK FATHER: “If I go to Saturday night mass and receive Communion, and then go also to Sunday mass, may I receive Communion again?”
- And then there’s …
- Daily Rome Shot 532, etc.
- Coincidences? I think not.
- Liturgical Question: Which of these is NOT like the other?
- Daily Rome Shot 531, etc. – packed!
- ASK FATHER: A priest asks, “Is it okay to learn how to say the Traditional Latin Mass?” Wherein Fr. Z rants.
- You thick-headed restorationists, you backwardist, dogma-refrigerating Neopelagians… there is only one unique expression of the Roman Rite! VIDEO
- Daily Rome Shot 530, etc.
- 10 August: Wonderful Collect for St. Lawrence
- Daily Rome Shot 529, etc.
- “The sky is crying…” – The Vigil and Tears of St. Lawrence
- Daily Rome Shot 528, etc.
- Wherein Fr. Z rants and recommends a must read entry at NLM
- Meanwhile, the Novus Ordo is the only expression of the Roman Rite… not.
- ASK FATHER: The faithful put blood, sweat, and tears into the building, revival of churches, parishes. Given how bishops treat them, is there recourse in Canon Law?
- Your Sunday Sermon Notes: 9th Sunday after Pentecost (N.O. 19th Sunday)
- Daily Rome Shot 527, etc.
- If a law isn’t accepted, it is essentially no law at all. Traditionis? Time will tell. Novus Ordo? Time has told.
- ASK FATHER: Considering the chaos surrounding ‘Traditionis custodes” could we say that, in effect, it is no law at all?
- Daily Rome Shot 526, etc.
Let us pray…
Grant unto thy Church, we beseech Thee, O merciful God, that She, being gathered together by the Holy Ghost, may be in no wise troubled by attack from her foes. O God, who by sin art offended and by penance pacified, mercifully regard the prayers of Thy people making supplication unto Thee,and turn away the scourges of Thine anger which we deserve for our sins. Almighty and Everlasting God, in whose Hand are the power and the government of every realm: look down upon and help the Christian people that the heathen nations who trust in the fierceness of their own might may be crushed by the power of thine Arm. Through our Lord Jesus Christ, Thy Son, who liveth and reigneth with Thee in the unity of the Holy Ghost, God, world without end. R. Amen.
Yes, Fr. Z is taking ads…
Be a “Zed-Head”!
My "challenge coin" for my 25th anniversary of ordination in 2016.
Want one? I do exchanges with military and LEOs, etc.
PLEASE RESPOND. Pretty pleeeease?Loading ...
This is really useful when travelling… and also when you aren’t and you need backup internet NOW! I use this for my DMR “Zednet” hotspot when I’m mobile. It’s a ham radio thing.
If you travel internationally, this is a super useful gizmo for your mobile internet data. I use one. If you get one through my link, I get data rewards.
Please use my links when shopping! I depend on your help.
WDTPRS POLLLoading ...
Fr. Z’s stuff is everywhere
Help support Fr. Z’s Gospel of Life work at no cost to you. Do you need a Real Estate Agent? Calling these people is the FIRST thing you should do!
GREAT causes to support
Monthly Archives: February 2021
This year we may have differing practices for the distribution of ashes today, Ash Wednesday. Let’s have a poll to find out what you readers experienced. Choose your best answer. Anyone can participate. To post a comment you have to … Read More
Ash Wednesday – Fasting, Abstinence, and You (with notes on alligator, endothermic moonfish, &, of course, muskrat
According to the 1983 Code of Canon Law for the Latin Church, Latin Church Catholics are bound to observe fasting and abstinence on Ash Wednesday. Here are some details. I am sure you know them already, but they are good … Read More
Over at The Remnant – they are upping their tech game there – Michael Matt has a video “From The Editor’s Desk” in which he makes a critically important point for all of us to consider … and then embrace. The front … Read More
From Newsmax: Ebola Epidemic Declared in Guinea The West African country Guinea declared an Ebola epidemic Sunday after an outbreak killed several people and hospitalized others. The Ebola virus killed at least three people and infected four others after a … Read More
Tomorrow is Shrove Tuesday, the day before Ash Wednesday and the beginning of Lent for the Roman Church. I was sent this by a kind soul: a Mass proper for Shrove Tuesday, a Votive Mass in Honor of the Holy … Read More
No, I don’t mean the homily at “liturgy” by Sister Randi over at the merged cluster of “Sing A New Faith Community Into Being Faith Community” in the Diocese of Libville. Here is a video explaining the landing of Perseverance … Read More
Photo by Bree Dail.
From a reader… QUAERITUR: Peace and good times, Father Z. [Right now, I’d settle for okay times.] May the blessing and distribution of ashes be done at home in this time of pandemic? Our Archdiocese (in the Philippines) and the … Read More
From a reader… QUAERITUR: If someone breaks the tabernacle takes the consecrated Hosts desecrates (throws away to the gutters or dirty place) does the real presence exists? There are some distinctions to be made here. Firstly, the person who does … Read More
Photo by Bree Dail.
The late Fr. Reginald Foster died recently. He was not able to see while on earth the second volume of his presentation of the Latin language. Rest in peace. I had a note today that Volume II is soon to … Read More
From a reader… actually, more than one… QUAERITUR: Question on Ash Wednesday TLM ‘62 Missal; would the Priest be distributing ashes by sprinkling over head or would TLM be exempt and have ashes distributed as in previous years ( Communion … Read More
UPDATE: Keep it going! Some of you have told me what Novena you are using: St. Michael 10 St. Joseph 14 O.L. Perpetual Help 2 +1 54 day Rosary Novena for my pressing intentions – 3 St. Maximillian Kolbe 10 … Read More
In our traditional Roman calendar, Sunday is Quinquagesima, Latin for the symbolic “Fiftieth” day before Easter. This is one of the pre-Lenten Sundays which prepare us for the discipline of Lent. The priest’s vestments are purple. No Gloria. No Alleluia. The prayers … Read More
From a reader…. QUAERITUR: I saw the really good posts that Father Tim Finigan and Father John Hunwicke put on their blogs and the comments. Why, Father Z, do you think people today freak out so much over the idea … Read More
Photo by Bree Dail.
I’ve resumed, for a while at least, the live-stream of my daily Traditional Latin Mass at NOON Central Standard Time (= UTC -5 and ROME 1800h). (Check out LatinMass.live) BEFORE MASS: Angelus, Statement of Intention MASS: Apparition of Our Lady … Read More