About this blog…
“This blog is like a fusion of the Baroque ‘salon’ with its well-tuned harpsichord around which polite society gathered for entertainment and edification and, on the other hand, a Wild West “saloon” with its out-of-tune piano and swinging doors, where everyone has a gun and something to say. Nevertheless, we try to point our discussions back to what it is to be Catholic in this increasingly difficult age, to love God, and how to get to heaven.” – Fr. Z
Coat of Arms by D Burkart
Search Fr. Z’s Blog
SHOPPING ONLINE? Please, come here first!
Your use of my Amazon link is a major part of my income. It helps to pay for insurance, groceries, everything. Please remember me when shopping online. Thanks in advance.
Try AmazonFresh Free Trial
Shop Amazon Gold Box - New Deals. Everyday
Shop Amazon Gift Cards - Instant Delivery or Free One-Day Shipping
Try Prime Discounted Monthly Offering
And you do need a Kindle! - HERE
Kindle Unlimited Membership Plans
Do you want to show some appreciation?
YOUR RECENT COMMENTS
- robtbrown: First, it is not apparent to me–n or, as far as I know– ;what the authority of an emeritus bishop (including the pope) is. An ordinarius loci has jurisdicti on over a geogra...
- ChrisP: “Now we see Him indistinct , as if in a mirror; then, we shall see Him face to face” ; I think this could be candidate topic for self licking ice cream, but suffice to suggest...
- Rob83: This image calls to mind something else. When the angel cries penance is when the image of the bishop dressed in white appears – almost as if he is the object of the angel̵ 7;s...
- ARAD02: It was an amazing event. I stood from around 9:45 am until sitting outside of the House of Representa tives around 3:45 pm. Boy… .was I ready to sit for a minute at the end! :) The...
- OssaSola: Highly recommende d: The Coming Plague by Laurie Garrett. Non-fictio n discussion of newly emerging disease threats. Written for the general reader and I found it to be riveting.
- GregB: There are several verses in the Bible that refer to mirrors. Some of the more interestin g ones are: * Proverbs 27:19 * As in water face answers to face, so the mind of man reflects the man....
- TRW: Many good points made. I do think that the images appearing as “som ething similar to how people appear in a mirror when they pass in front of it” is simply Sr. Lucia attempting to...
- khouri: The Mother of God’ s greatest honor and greatest title is just that, “Mot her of God” . The Church at the Council of Ephesus gave the title “The otokosR 21;...
- JustaSinner: The Stand, IMHO one of the best novels ever… ;all 1000+ pages.
- Adelle Cecilia: Now, see… I did “pre view,̶ 1; and it showed my “thu mbs up,” not a “? 8221; Oh well.
- Adelle Cecilia: Indeed. ?
- Grant M: Worried about Coronaviru s? Recommends “The Jakarta Pandemic 8221;. Sardonic laughter. I live in Jakarta.
- Ave Maria: No flu shot for me ever.
- Semper Gumby: acardnal: According to that sage of sand and sea, Jimmy Buffet, it’s five o’cl ock somewhere.
- templariidvm: I have always had trouble/st ruggled with the Blessed Mother as oracle or soothsayer . I’ll be honest, I tend to avoid trying to interpret these things. Clear things like...
- acardnal: So get your flu shot. Go to confession . Have a drink.
- acardnal: It should be noted that more people have died from the flu this season than from coronaviru s. In the USA about 8100 since October!
- Semper Gumby: Solid first paragraph Fr. Z. Earth Abides is a good novel, thanks ArthurH. For what it’s worth, some background info on the 1918 pandemic. Some say it originated in Asia or...
- Benedictus: At first, I thought that our shepherds had our best interest and would not lie to us. I took what the hierarchy said about Fatima and that was the end of it. With the lies, manipul...
- Fr_Sotelo: Suburbanba nshee, Thank you for providing the original Portuguese . Your two posts above are an excellent explanatio n of the phrasing that Sister Lucia wrote. I hope others take the...
- DeeEmm: Father Z, what a brilliant observatio n!! For my part I don’t believe this vision is to be understood literally in its entirety and your words give us a good example. This is why we need...
- Facta Non Verba: The 2011 movie Contagion, with Matt Damon, is chilling. It is fictional, of course, but takes place in Minneapoli s. At one point, they close the border with Wisconsin to trap all...
- Suburbanbanshee: I think we should give a pass to The Irishman. It’s clearly an example of the Holy Spirit leaning on both the casting director (or even Scorsese himself) for the benefit of...
- THREEHEARTS: mike hurcum writes Do you Fr see any relationsh ip in this ancient prophecy to Bl. Mary of Fatima? https://ww w.latinrit emass.org/ wp-content /uploads/2 014/03/bar tholomew-h olzhau...
- ArthurH: There is a great “aft er epidemic/b io war” book. It’s Earth Abides by George Stewart. Excellent read of what happens after such. Not what you might think̷ 0; until...
Fr. Z’s VOICEMAIL
Nota bene: I do not answer these numbers or this Skype address. You won't get me "live". I check for messages regularly.
020 8133 4535
Don’t rely on popes, bishops and priests.
“Who is going to save our Church? Not our bishops, not our priests and religious. It is up to you, the people. You have the minds, the eyes, and the ears to save the Church. Your mission is to see that your priests act like priests, your bishops act like bishops.”
- Fulton Sheen
Therefore, ACTIVATE YOUR CONFIRMATION and get to work!
Send Snail Mail to Fr. Z
“The modern habit of doing ceremonial things unceremoniously is no proof of humility; rather it proves the offender's inability to forget himself in the rite, and his readiness to spoil for every one else the proper pleasure of ritual.”
- C.S. Lewis
This blog has to earn its keep!
PLEASE subscribe if it is useful.
That way I have steady income I can plan on, and you wind up regularly on my list of benefactors for whom I pray and for whom I periodically say Holy Mass.
For a one time donation...
I set up a
CONTINUE TO GIVE
account, which functions rather like PayPal. Some of you use it. Here is a QCode you can use with your smart phones. Try it!
Also, to receive a link to donate via Continue To Give using your smart phone SEND MESSAGE:
4827563 TO: 715-803-4772 (USA)
Some donations also come through CHASE. That works well. I don't think they take any percentage as fees.
2020 TLM Pilgrimage to the Holy Land
As for Latin…
"But if, in any layman who is indeed imbued with literature, ignorance of the Latin language, which we can truly call the 'catholic' language, indicates a certain sluggishness in his love toward the Church, how much more fitting it is that each and every cleric should be adequately practiced and skilled in that language!" - Pius XI
"Let us realize that this remark of Cicero (Brutus 37, 140) can be in a certain way referred to [young lay people]: 'It is not so much a matter of distinction to know Latin as it is disgraceful not to know it.'" - St. John Paul II
CLICK and say your daily offerings!
- Worried about Coronavirus? Feed your anxiety, and commonsense.
- A troubling, curious point in the Third Secret of Fátima
- Wherein Fr. Rutler hits for six
- ASK FATHER: The “churching” of women after childbirth and the blessing of expecting mothers
- Too often TV and film directors and designers get Catholic thing wrong, absurdly so.
- Your Good News
- Death, #KobeBryant, and You
- Your Sunday Sermon Notes: 3rd after Epiphany (TLM) & 3rd Ordinary (NO) 2020
- VIDEO: Doing something
- My View For Awhile: Staunton Edition
- 450K-500K estimated at 2020 March For Life
- Washington DC DAYS 2-3: Motus and POTUS
- Washington DC DAY 1: Goofing around, a kitchen and a quote
- My View For Awhile: To Washington DC, NON-Impeachment Edition
- A site with statistics for the growth and availability of the Traditional Latin Mass?
- 21 January St. Agnes: “Intercede and beg a return of orthodoxy, sanity and sanctity to the Roman Church!”
- OLDIE PODCAzT 127: The Eve of St. Agnes and a Bleak Midwinter
- A diocese smells the coffee: starts planning for decline of the Novus Ordo and growth of the TLM
- ASK FATHER: Glass chalices…. again?
- A few things of interest: TLM pilgrimage opp, new book, against pendulums, and Warhol the hack
- Your Sunday Sermon Notes – 2nd Sunday – 2020
- Wherein Fr. Z is moved to pray to martyred nuns, newly discovered, about something that happened today. – UPDATED
- A note of thanks. Mass for Benefactors.
- Remember #UniteTheClans ? Wherein Fr. Z rants.
- URGENT PRAYER REQUEST for a young priest diagnosed with ALS – #padresfight
- WDTPRS – 2nd Ordinary (NO) & 2nd Sunday after Epiphany (TLM): God knows our needs better than we do.
- Card. Sarah has met with Benedict XVI as the haters stir “incessant, nauseating, dishonest controversy” #BOOKGATE
- UPDATE! ASK FATHER: Use of a Catholic church for the “ordination” of woman Episcopalian “bishop”
- ASK FATHER: I discovered that the hosts used are from flour of a variety of grains. What to do?
- “Let the Jesuits come to me. With hands in the air and without algorithms.” Fr. Z says: Let the Jesuits GO TO CHINA.
Let us pray…
Grant unto thy Church, we beseech Thee, O merciful God, that She, being gathered together by the Holy Ghost, may be in no wise troubled by attack from her foes. O God, who by sin art offended and by penance pacified, mercifully regard the prayers of Thy people making supplication unto Thee,and turn away the scourges of Thine anger which we deserve for our sins. Almighty and Everlasting God, in whose Hand are the power and the government of every realm: look down upon and help the Christian people that the heathen nations who trust in the fierceness of their own might may be crushed by the power of thine Arm. Through our Lord Jesus Christ, Thy Son, who liveth and reigneth with Thee in the unity of the Holy Ghost, God, world without end. R. Amen.
Yes, Fr. Z is taking ads…
Because it matters what children read…
Be a “Zed-Head”!
I carry one of these super-strong rosaries in my spare mag pouch! The Swiss Guards have them too!
My "challenge coin" for my 25th anniversary of ordination in 2016.
Want one? I do exchanges with military and LEOs, etc. and you can make a donation.
PLEASE RESPOND. Pretty pleeeease?Loading ...
WDTPRS POLLLoading ...
“Rigid”? Pfffft. “Faithful!” No priest’s desk or kitchen is complete without one, for young, old, and priests in general.
Fr. Z’s stuff is everywhere
Help support Fr. Z’s Gospel of Life work at no cost to you. Do you need a Real Estate Agent? Calling these people is the FIRST thing you should do!
GREAT causes to support
Help Monks in Wyoming (coffee – UPDATED LINK) and Norcia (beer) and the wonderful "Soap Sisters" of Summit, NJ!
Please follow me on Twitter!
If you travel internationally, this is a super useful gizmo for your mobile internet data. I use one. If you get one through my link, I get data rewards.
Tag Archives: SCOTUS
According to accounts, 85-yr old Justice Ruth Bader Ginsberg had a fall, broke some ribs, and is not in the hospital. While one mustn’t wish ill on another, it could be that this episode might prompt in the Justice some … Continue reading
I’m entirely convinced that this blog is badly treated by Google. From Newsbusters: Google Staff Reacts to Kavanaugh: ‘F—. YOU. ALL. TO. HELL.’ It’s hard to believe that people with political agendas are capable of building unbiased products. Google certainly … Continue reading
From PJMedia comes this insightful comment on the Left: Kavanaugh Foes Fill Senate Gallery With Sounds of the Insane I’ll charm the air to give a sound, While you perform your antic round. – MacBeth I was in the Senate … Continue reading
@JamesMartinSJ close association with “comedian” whose writer is “glad we ruined Brett Kavanaugh’s life”
Homosexualist activist and Jesuit Fr. James Martin, LGBTSJ, calls himself the “Show Chaplain” for the execrable and only occasionally amusing Stephen Colbert. HERE and HERE Here’s something for the “Show Chaplain” to Colbert Report, Colbert’s former show before taking over a … Continue reading
Yesterday I watched the Kavanaugh Senate hearing. There were some important moments, including the fact that Kavanaugh arrived wearing his game face and Sen. Graham gave the Dems a piece of his mind. Turning points, both. Amusing moments: Sen. … Continue reading
UPDATE 7 Sept I am watching the third day of hearings for SCOTUS nominee Judge Kavanaugh. Today there are panels, with members pro and con his approval by the Senate. I thought that the previous two days were going to … Continue reading
On this 150th anniversary of the 14th Amendment, the smears against newly nominated Judge Kavanaugh have begun. BTW… it doesn’t matter that the Left knows that that has nothing to do with Roe v. Wade: that issue always whips up … Continue reading
UPDATE: Anti-Catholicism is the last acceptable prejudice. Check out the WSJ piece about the group to which Judge Amy Coney Barrett belongs. ___ Originally Published on: Jun 29, 2018 I’ve been looking at the list of the SCOTUS candidates from … Continue reading
Well… one of the shoes dropped. Justice Anthony Kennedy announced his retirement. Pres. Donald Trump gets to nominate a second Justice. We have to dust off his list of SCOTUS candidates. This is amazing. Think about it. How many huge … Continue reading
Some time ago I asked you to pray during oral arguments before the SCOTUS concerning a 1st Amendment case from California, which tried to force pregnancy centers to provide abortion information. HERE In other words, they tried to force pro-life … Continue reading
Looking At Danger: Justice Kennedy, SCOTUS, and Masterpiece Cakeshop v. Colorado Civil Rights Commission
Today at Crisis there is a good summary piece about the complicity of catholic Justice Anthony Kennedy with the secularist Left and about the recent SCOTUS decision in the matter of Masterpiece Cakeshop, LTD v. Colorado Civil Rights Commission, which probably left … Continue reading
UPDATE 20 March: Link to the transcript of the oral arguments for the good guys. HERE ___ Originally Published on: Mar 19, 2018 Can the government force Christian pro-life centers to advertise taxpayer-funded abortions? California says they can. That’s the essential question … Continue reading
At Crisis there is a masterful explanation of the most recent US Supreme Court decision which upheld (7-2) religious liberty. On days like today, we need some GOOD news. I won’t do anything with it here. You should go there … Continue reading
As the Gorsuch Trials continue, this comes from the often amusing Eye of the Tiber: Catechumen nominee Neil Schlesing said that “no man is above canon law” when pressed on whether Pope Francis could allow divorced and remarried Catholics to receive communion. … Continue reading
The Archbishop of Kansas City, Kansas, His Excellency Most Rev. Joseph Naumann, issued some thoughts about the candidates in the upcoming – important – presidential election. Writing about Dem VP candidate and catholic quisling Tim Kaine (who spent time where Naumann is … Continue reading