Search Fr. Z’s Blog
SHOPPING ONLINE? Please, come here first!Your use of my Amazon link is a major part of my income. It helps to pay for insurance, groceries, everything. Please remember me when shopping online. Thanks in advance. Try AmazonFresh Free Trial Shop Amazon Gold Box - New Deals. Everyday Shop Amazon Gift Cards - Instant Delivery or Free One-Day Shipping Try Prime Discounted Monthly Offering And you do need a Kindle! - HERE Kindle Unlimited Membership Plans
About this blog…
“This blog is like a fusion of the Baroque ‘salon’ with its well-tuned harpsichord around which polite society gathered for entertainment and edification and, on the other hand, a Wild West “saloon” with its out-of-tune piano and swinging doors, where everyone has a gun and something to say. Nevertheless, we try to point our discussions back to what it is to be Catholic in this increasingly difficult age, to love God, and how to get to heaven.” – Fr. Z
Coat of Arms by D Burkart
CLICK and say your daily offerings!
Do you want to show some appreciation?
Do you have a faithful Catholic website that needs competent and reliable tech support?
Fr. Z’s VOICEMAIL
Nota bene: I do not answer these numbers or this Skype address. You won't get me "live". I check for messages regularly.
020 8133 4535
YOUR RECENT COMMENTS
Books which you must have.
Don’t rely on popes, bishops and priests.
“Who is going to save our Church? Not our bishops, not our priests and religious. It is up to you, the people. You have the minds, the eyes, and the ears to save the Church. Your mission is to see that your priests act like priests, your bishops act like bishops.”
- Fulton Sheen
Therefore, ACTIVATE YOUR CONFIRMATION and get to work!
Send Snail Mail to Fr. Z
“The modern habit of doing ceremonial things unceremoniously is no proof of humility; rather it proves the offender's inability to forget himself in the rite, and his readiness to spoil for every one else the proper pleasure of ritual.”
- C.S. Lewis
This blog has to earn its keep!
PLEASE subscribe if it is useful.
That way I have steady income I can plan on, and you wind up regularly on my list of benefactors for whom I pray and for whom I periodically say Holy Mass.
For a one time donation...
I set up a
CONTINUE TO GIVE
account, which functions rather like PayPal. Some of you use it. Here is a QCode you can use with your smart phones. Try it!
Also, to receive a link to donate via Continue To Give using your smart phone SEND MESSAGE:
4827563 TO: 715-803-4772 (USA)
Some donations also come through CHASE. That works well. I don't think they take any percentage as fees.
As for Latin…
"But if, in any layman who is indeed imbued with literature, ignorance of the Latin language, which we can truly call the 'catholic' language, indicates a certain sluggishness in his love toward the Church, how much more fitting it is that each and every cleric should be adequately practiced and skilled in that language!" - Pius XI
"Let us realize that this remark of Cicero (Brutus 37, 140) can be in a certain way referred to [young lay people]: 'It is not so much a matter of distinction to know Latin as it is disgraceful not to know it.'" - St. John Paul II
- VIDEO: Unhinged Karen’s spittle-flecked, obscenity-laced nutty on hearing that Justice Ginsberg died. LANGUAGE WARNING
- LIVE VIDEO – 19 September 1200h CDT (GMT/UTC -5) – Traditional Latin Mass – For my benefactors: St. Januarius
- ASK FATHER: Some say @TaylorRMarshall, Tim Gordon, Archbp. Vigano are schismatic. Is this true?”
- REVIEW – TLM ORDO for 2021 by Romanitas Press
- #ASonnetADay – 39. “O! how thy worth with manners may I sing…” (At the doctor’s office)
- ACTION ITEM! Traditional Latin Mass Survey ONLINE
- 18 September – LIVE VIDEO Traditional Latin Mass – 1200h CDT (GMT/UTC -5): St. Joseph of Cupertino
- #ASonnetADay – 38. “How can my muse want subject to invent…” (And there is an “upstart crow” in the background!)
- Spiffing NEW OLD Book! A Limerickal Commentary on the Second Vatican Council
- Not all is dark in the Church. Tradition is flooding back!
- Thanks from Fr. Z and upcoming Mass for Benefactors
- Since “Black Lives Matter”, nota bene! New pro-life film released today: Divided Hearts of America
- 17 September – LIVE VIDEO Traditional Latin Mass – 1200h CDT (GMT/UTC -5): Stigmata of St. Francis
- The Ass. of Catholic Priests vape against AG Bill Barr
- 17 September – St. Robert Bellarmine – Doctor and Pot Scrubber of the Church
- September Ember Days 2020 – confusion about the true dates
- ANOTHER priest with an invalid baptism. Fathers! Review the videos of your baptism! ACTION ITEM!
- #ASonnetADay – The other “Ozymandias”! – GUEST SONNET No, not by Shelley.
- Newspaper of the Italian Bishops Conference – Avvenire – defends “Cuties”
- CQ CQ CQ: #HamRadio – International Space Station UPGRADED
- 16 September – LIVE VIDEO Traditional Latin Mass – 1200h CDT (GMT/UTC -5): Sts Cornelius and Cyprian
- Dates of the Presidential Debates and Feast days.
- #ASonnetADay – Ozymandias – GUEST SONNET by Percy Byshe Shelley
- ACTION ITEM! Seven Sisters Apostolate – Fr. Z’s group
- CQ CQ CQ #HamRadio issue: Video from NASA about “Our Next Solar Cycle”
- Card. Müller: “[I]t is “better to vote for a good Protestant than for a bad Catholic.”
- Reason #747903 for Summorum Pontificum: JESUITS! Yoga in the church SANCTUARY of St. Francis Xavier (again) in NYC
- 15 September – LIVE VIDEO Traditional Latin Mass – 1200h CDT (GMT/UTC -5): Seven Sorrows of the Blessed Virgin Mary
- 15 September: Seven Sorrows of Mary – The “Our Lady of Sorrows Project”
- #ASonnetADay – 37. “As a decrepit father takes delight…”
Let us pray…
Grant unto thy Church, we beseech Thee, O merciful God, that She, being gathered together by the Holy Ghost, may be in no wise troubled by attack from her foes. O God, who by sin art offended and by penance pacified, mercifully regard the prayers of Thy people making supplication unto Thee,and turn away the scourges of Thine anger which we deserve for our sins. Almighty and Everlasting God, in whose Hand are the power and the government of every realm: look down upon and help the Christian people that the heathen nations who trust in the fierceness of their own might may be crushed by the power of thine Arm. Through our Lord Jesus Christ, Thy Son, who liveth and reigneth with Thee in the unity of the Holy Ghost, God, world without end. R. Amen.
Yes, Fr. Z is taking ads…
Because it matters what children read…
Be a “Zed-Head”!
I carry one of these super-strong rosaries in my spare mag pouch! The Swiss Guards have them too!
My "challenge coin" for my 25th anniversary of ordination in 2016.
Want one? I do exchanges with military and LEOs, etc. and you can make a donation.
PLEASE RESPOND. Pretty pleeeease?Loading ...
This is really useful when travelling… and also when you aren’t and you need backup internet NOW! I use this for my DMR “Zednet” hotspot when I’m mobile. It’s a ham radio thing.
If you travel internationally, this is a super useful gizmo for your mobile internet data. I use one. If you get one through my link, I get data rewards.
Please use my links when shopping! I depend on your help.
WDTPRS POLLLoading ...
“Rigid”? Pfffft. “Faithful!” No priest’s desk or kitchen is complete without one, for young, old, and priests in general.
Fr. Z’s stuff is everywhere
Help support Fr. Z’s Gospel of Life work at no cost to you. Do you need a Real Estate Agent? Calling these people is the FIRST thing you should do!
GREAT causes to support
Category Archives: Religious Liberty
URGENT: Archbp. Broglio of @MilArchUSA on Navy Prohibiting Participation in Off-Base Religious Services
I have been sitting on this and sitting on this and sitting on this…. Finally… From Archbishop Broglio of the Archdiocese for the Military Services: Archbishop Broglio Issues Statement on U.S. Naval Orders Prohibiting Participation in Off-Base Religious Services Is … Continue reading
This. Where I am, after the county said that churches could open up to 25% capacity, like many businesses such as gyms and movie theaters, they then reversed their rule and will now force churches to have only 50 people, … Continue reading
Many people don’t realize that Holy Church considers some Old Testament figures to be saints with their own feast days. We don’t celebrate them at the altar, but they have their day. Actually, if there were no other saint in … Continue reading
This B as in B, S as in S. Does this seem like targeting of churches to you? From the Washington Examiner: Illinois governor says churches may not fully reopen for a year or more because of coronavirus It could … Continue reading
It believe it is more important now than ever that we return to the old-fashioned confessionals with a complete physical barrier between the penitent and confessor, with a window having a fixed grate and a curtain or something to obscure … Continue reading
Can you imagine more than a handful of bishops today doing something like this? In the days of the King’s Great Matter, only one bishop in England stood fast. Today at The Catholic Thing, Nicholas Senz has a good piece … Continue reading
Looking At Danger: Justice Kennedy, SCOTUS, and Masterpiece Cakeshop v. Colorado Civil Rights Commission
Today at Crisis there is a good summary piece about the complicity of catholic Justice Anthony Kennedy with the secularist Left and about the recent SCOTUS decision in the matter of Masterpiece Cakeshop, LTD v. Colorado Civil Rights Commission, which probably left … Continue reading
Occasionally a friend of mine in England makes weekend adventures to visit sites where there are preserved “priest holes”, and he sends photos. They really give you pause. As you know, in the 16th and 17th centuries, Catholics who refused … Continue reading
You must rush to read the whole of Robert Royal’s latest column. HERE I preface it with a reminder that I posted a tongue in check call to arms that wasn’t really tongue in cheek at all. HERE Here’s the … Continue reading
UPDATE: One of you readers caught this and posted in the combox. Comment: To submit a reply to Archbishop Chaput’s column, the anti-spam quiz currently is “What is 2 plus 2?” Very shrewd. This will prevent Fr. Antonio “2+2=5” Spadaro … Continue reading
At Crisis there is a masterful explanation of the most recent US Supreme Court decision which upheld (7-2) religious liberty. On days like today, we need some GOOD news. I won’t do anything with it here. You should go there … Continue reading
From Breitbart: Danish Man who Set Fire to Quran Charged with Blasphemy A man who burned the Islamic holy book in his backyard has been charged with blasphemy, in a move his lawyer speculates was driven by fear of Muslim … Continue reading
Hillary Clinton’s campaign manager John Podesta’s emails were hacked. We see behind the scenes. We see what they think of Catholics and the Church. They are simply dreadful. I found a video commentary by Fr. Robert Sirico about what the Clinton … Continue reading
As baptized Catholics we have a role and work to do in the world, each according to our vocations. We must affect change… as Catholics. How can we imagine that we can do that if we don’t have a clear … Continue reading