PODCAzT 66: don Camillo (part I): VM – advice on getting TLMs & “pro multis”

Our guest today is the fictional don Camillo Tarocci, (+ A.D. … ?) parish priest of "The Little World" created by Giovanni Guareschi.

I begin a new project, namely, to read stories from The Little World of Don Camillo.  These delightful pieces set in post-war Nothern Italy blend brilliant insight into the human condition with solid applied Catholic Faith.  Today we hear three tales:

The Little World
A Confession
A Baptism.

Then I tackle some of your voicemail

A listener askes advice on what arguments people might present to a pastor of a parish to obtain celebrations of the Traditional Latin Mass according to Summorum Pontificum.  I give three possible points.

Another fellow asked about the whole "pro multis" issue and I give a fairly detail response, though not exhaustine.  For that you need the articles I wrote for The Wanderer and which are here on the blog.

The iTunes feed is working again… mysteriously.  Check it out!

Some of the last offerings (check out the PODCAzT PAGE):

065 08-07-19 St. Ambrose “On mysteries”; Interview: Fr. Robert Pasley
064 08-07-15 Bonaventure on Christ “the door”; Interview – Fr. Timothy Finigan
063 08-07-12 Interview: Fr. Justin Nolan, FSSP; consecrated hands, Holy Communion and the Rite of Baptism
062 08-06-26 Interviews with and by Fr. Z; What has Bp. Fellay really said?
061 08-05-17 Pope Leo I on a post-Pentecost weekday; Fr. Z rambles not quite aimlessly for a while
060 08-05-16 Pentecost customs; St. Ambrose on the dew of the Holy Spirit
059 08-05-15 Leo the Great on Pentecost fasting; Benedict XVI’s sermon for Pentecost Sunday
058 08-05-14 Ember Days; Chrysostom on St. Matthias; Prayer to the Holy Spirit
057 08-05-13 John Paul II on the unforgivable sin; Our Lady of Fatima and the vision of Hell
056 08-05-12 Octaves – Fr. Z rants & Augustine on Pentecost
055 08-05-03 Tertullian, again; Fr. Rutler and Fr. Z on Archbp. Marini’s book
054 08-04-29 Pro-Abortion Politicians and Communion; St. Ambrose and Emperor Theodosius

This entry was posted in don Camillo, PODCAzT, PRO MULTIS, SUMMORUM PONTIFICUM. Bookmark the permalink.

16 Responses to PODCAzT 66: don Camillo (part I): VM – advice on getting TLMs & “pro multis”

1. Fr Peter says:

Hello, Father. I hope that you enjoy the Don Camillo stories as much as I do. I started to read them when I was about 10, and they were a significant factor in the beginnings of my move toward the Catholic Church and to ordination. In my apostolate with street-children in Colombia I always try to bear in mind these words from ‘Don Camillo and the Prodigal Son’:
    “Christian charity doesn’t mean giving the crumbs from your table to the poor; it means dividing with them something that you need yourself. When Saint Martin divided his cloak with a beggar, that was Christian charity. And even when you share your last crust of bread with a beggar, you mustn’t behave as if you were throwing a bone to a dog. You must give humbly, and thank him for allowing you to have a part in his hunger.”

2. Jeff Pinyan says:

This story is, in all seriousness, adorable!

3. Vincenzo says:

Wonderful! Thank you!

4. Maureen says:

Thank you for reminding me how much I love Don Camillo! It’s a crime that the books aren’t in every public library.

And I have to say, it does gain something from being read by a priest…. :)

5. Ed the Roman says:

I read Don Camillo in junior high, and I loved those books.

It’s a shame Guareschi died so young. [He lives in his books. He wrote in his forward to Il piccolo mondo, “I refuse to die, even if they kill me”. – Fr. Z]

6. Thom says:

Father, those stories are simply delightful.

And is it just me, or does the cartoon of Don Camillo on the cover look a little like your picture?

7. Thom: I think it might just be you!  o{]:¬)

8. Thom: LOL! Actually, I think I see a bit of our esteemed host’s mix of frankness of personality, humor and holiness in the good Don. :-)

Father: I really enjoyed this PODCAzT. You read very well. I listened to it this a.m. as I had breakfast and prepared for Mass. Thank you for your efforts.

9. AB says:

If I may introduce a discordant note [Like a serpent, as don Camillo would put it.] into the literary love-in, I remember that when I read the Don Camillo books what always used to get me was this. Camillo regularly goes into his church and speaks. . . not to the Blessed Sacrament, as one might expect, but to a large crucifix. Which is alleged to speak to him.

10. Aaron says:

I LOVE DON CAMILLO! I read them in my early teenage years and then again
    once I started serving the Extraordinary form. It is so much funnier in this

I look forward to further posts. I have forwarded to friends who have had a
    deprived childhood without Don Camillo.

11. Maria says:

Thank you! This made my chores so much easier!

12. AB says:

Question from the “serpent”: But what do you (or others) say about my actual point, dear Fr Z? I always felt it was the Blessed Sacrament he should be talking to. [I think you are blowing this up out of proportion. – Fr. Z]

13. AB says:

…holding conversations with.

14. Steve Girone says:

I played this for my three oldest boys (13, 11 and 7), and they LOVED hearing the stories. They wanted
    to hear more and I told them that Father Z was planning to continue. Boy were they thrilled and we’re all
    looking forward to the next installment! Thanks Father Z!

15. Ohio Annie says:

I have just discovered these wonderful stories.

I, too, talk to a statue of Christ rather than the Blessed Sacrament which is
    in a side chapel. I believe it is because I am culturally conditioned to
    respond to a “human shape.” Maybe it’s just enough that I’m not embarassed to
    talk to statues at all?

16. Roxanne says:

Thank you Fr. Z for introducing me and my family to these wonderful stories. They are a delight! We give up television for lent so we spent one Sunday afternoon listening to your podcast reading Don Camillo. It was wonderful. I have since bought a used paperback edition from Amazon. I spent last night reading a chapter to my daughter before she went to bed. We were both giggling our heads off! Thank you again. i think we may give a copy to our Msg. for his birthday.