Ham Radio Stuff
Fr. Z - W9FRZ - OFF
QRV on: 00m 000000
Check Echolink WB0YLE-R - ON
When you do your Christmas shopping online…
"If I ought to write the truth, I am of the mind that I ought to flee all meetings of bishops, because I have never seen any happy or satisfactory outcome to any council, nor one that has deterred evils more than it has occasioned their acceptance and growth."
St. Gregory Nazianzus ep. 131 - AD 382
"The archaic is not the obsolete."Must read for priests, seminarians, anyone interested in beauty in our sacred liturgical worship of God... Signs of the Holy One: Liturgy, Ritual, and Expression of the Sacred by Uwe Michael Lang [UK link HERE]
God or Nothing: A Conversation on Faith by Robert Card. Sarah
Buy it. Get one for your parish priests. UK HERE
Search Fr. Z’s Blog
- "In those situations where homosexual unions have been legally recognized or have been given the legal status and rights belonging to marriage, clear and emphatic opposition is a duty. ... If all Catholics are obliged to oppose the legal recognition of homosexual unions, Catholic politicians are obliged to do so in a particular way, in keeping with their responsibility as politicians." CDF 2003 and HERE
- You keep this blog, and me, going. I pray for benefactors.
There is a subscription form at the bottom of this page!
- Gerhard said So often we wonder why priests deviate from their...
- glennbcnu said ANJ wrote: “that makes no sense. Newman? Man...
- Gerhard said As every soldier says when explaining away his her...
- Gerhard said Why would one leave another to flounder in error?
- Daniel W said I enjoy and am edified looking up words I have for...
- William Tighe said “Not to rehash past discussions, but if Orth...
- Michael_Thoma said Still waiting for the same meddling busy-bodies th...
- Hugh said Great analogy, Chuck3030
- leon said Not to rehash past discussions, but if Orthodox sa...
- JohnNYC said Thank you for posting this, Father! I need to brin...
- HighMass said Yes Mariana2 , I agree with you Archbishop Gänswe...
- Tony Phillips said Désolé, je ne peux pas lire the whole thing over t...
- cwillia1 said Canon law for the Eastern churches does not specif...
- The Masked Chicken said Dear ShenValleyLewis, iamlucky13 is an engineer, b...
- anj said @glennbcnu – that makes no sense. Newman?...
- Father G said Better yet! If you happen to be in Russia, go and...
- Father G said @MarkJ: You’re welcome. The feast was restor...
- acardnal said Rev.Msgr. Lopes’ press conference from Novem...
- Mariana2 said “Let us Pray Card. Sarah will be our next Po...
- EoinOBolguidhir said Be respectful and polite, and ask prior to present...
- Chuck3030 said I disagree with the notion that the Church is mere...
- iamlucky13 said ” That’s a strong generalization, I’m very c...
- Traductora said There has been speculation in Europe that Abp Gans...
- SpesUnica said MB, then it is fortunate that we aren’t talk...
- MarkJ said @Fr G: Thanks for anticipating my question about S...
- MarkJ said Does anyone know when St. Catherine of Alexandria...
- Father G said Blessed feast day! Her feast had been dropped init...
- mike cliffson said Like As an early 60s teen male brit , “ha...
- APX said We have a patron saint of procrastination, St. Exp...
- glennbcnu said As was made very clear to me by Msg. Steenson, no...
"One of the few things in life you can be absolutely sure about is that, if Management tells you it doesn't like your Tone, you are getting something right."
Most commented in the last 7 days…
- Pope Francis to German Bishops: Your Church is a mess! Fix it and … GO TO CONFESSION! (46)
- More weird sex stuff at Jesuit-run Fordham University (40)
- UPDATE: Bishops of England, Wales v. SSPX? Request for review of Good Friday Prayer for Jews (34)
- Card. Sarah on marriage, mercy and the incomprehension of doctrine by priests (31)
- Earth Might Have Hairy Dark Matter! (31)
- “It was impossible to say Mass in the barrack, of course.” (27)
- 1st Bishop appointed for an Anglican Ordinariate (23)
- Fr. Z asks help: finding fabrics (20)
- Fr. Z’s Kitchen: Sole Food! (18)
- Notre Dame U. v. Fr. Miscamble, NDCatholic.com (18)
Support them with prayer and fasting.
CLICK and say your Daily Offering!
"We as Catholics have not properly combated (the culture) because we have not been taught our Catholic Faith, especially in the depth needed to address these grave evils of our time. This is a failure of catechesis both of children and young people that has been going on for fifty years. It is being addressed, but it needs much more radical attention... What has also contributed greatly to the situation is an exaltation of the virtue of tolerance which is falsely seen as the virtue which governs all other virtues. In other words, we should tolerate other people in their immoral actions to the extent that we seem also to accept the moral wrong. Tolerance is a virtue, but it is certainly not the principal virtue; the principal virtue is charity... Charity means speaking the truth. I have encountered it (not speaking the truth) many times myself as a priest and bishop. It is something we simply need to address. There is far too much silence — people do not want to talk about it because the topic is not 'politically correct.' But we cannot be silent any longer."
Raymond Card. Burke
The Catholic Church is the exponent of Reality. It is true. Its doctrines in matters large and small are statements of what is. . . .My conclusion – and that of all men who have ever once seen it – is the faith. Corporate, organized, a personality, teaching. A thing, not a theory. It.”
Hilaire Belloc to G.K. Chesterton
"In assessing Our duty and the situation now prevailing, We have been weighed upon by the thought that a matter of this kind [i.e. error in respect of the Faith] is so grave and so dangerous that the Roman Pontiff, who is the representative upon earth of God and our God and Lord Jesus Christ, who holds the fullness of power over peoples and kingdoms, who may judge all and be judged by none in this world, may nonetheless be contradicted if he be found to have deviated from the Faith.
Cum ex Apostolatus Officio (On Error in Respect of the Faith) Apostolic Constitution of Pope Paul IV, 15 Feb 1559 (Roman Bullarium IV, I, 354-357)
Some current reading… review and a new novel…
Leave Voice Mail for Fr. Z
Let us pray…
Grant unto thy Church, we beseech Thee, O merciful God, that She, being gathered together by the Holy Ghost, may be in no wise troubled by attack from her foes. O God, who by sin art offended and by penance pacified, mercifully regard the prayers of Thy people making supplication unto Thee,and turn away the scourges of Thine anger which we deserve for our sins. Almighty and Everlasting God, in whose Hand are the power and the government of every realm: look down upon and help the Christian people that the heathen nations who trust in the fierceness of their own might may be crushed by the power of thine Arm. Through our Lord Jesus Christ, Thy Son, who liveth and reigneth with Thee in the unity of the Holy Ghost, God, world without end. R. Amen.
Yes, Fr. Z is taking ads…... and there will be nearly 1,000,000 page loads this month.
Help Monks in Wyoming, Fr. Z, and get great coffee too!
And they have tea too!
And for your cybersecurity…
Wyoming Catholic College!
I carry one of these super-strong rosaries in my spare mag pouch!
New Gregorian Chant CD by the Benedictines of Norcia!
Identity theft is a serious problem that you do NOT want to have. I use Lifelock.
Because you don’t know when you are going to need to move fast or get along without the supermarket…
My wish lists
Check out the Cardinal Newman Society feed!
Food For Thought
“The legalization of the termination of pregnancy is none other than the authorization given to an adult, with the approval of an established law, to take the lives of children yet unborn and thus incapable of defending themselves. It is difficult to imagine a more unjust situation, and it is very difficult to speak of obsession in a matter such as this, where we are dealing with a fundamental imperative of every good conscience — the defense of the right to life of an innocent and defenseless human being.”
- St. John Paul II
A bit more food for thought…
“Only one sin is nowadays severely punished: the attentive observance of the traditions of our Fathers. For that reason the good ones are thrown out of their places and brought to the desert.”
- Basil of Caesarea - ep. 243
PLEASE RESPOND. Pretty pleeeease?Loading ...
WDTPRS POLLLoading ...
A morsel for thought…
"If your work is strong enough for someone to hate you, it's strong enough for someone to love you. The middle is what you should fear."
- Sean McCabe @seanwes
- Of wheels and mystical marriages
- ASK FATHER: No Catholic Mass on Sunday. Are we obliged to attend Orthodox Divine Liturgy?
- High praise for Card. Sarah from Archbp. Gänswein
- UPDATE: Bishops of England, Wales v. SSPX? Request for review of Good Friday Prayer for Jews
- Earth Might Have Hairy Dark Matter!
- 1st Bishop appointed for an Anglican Ordinariate
- Sam Gregg on the rise of young, fearless, dynamically orthodox Catholicism… in FRANCE!
- ACTION ITEM: Christmas Cards 2015 and ADVENT MUSIC CDs
- UK READERS: LONDON EVENTS
- Pope Francis’ letter to “the best hermeneutical interpreter of the Second Vatican Council.”
- Notre Dame U. v. Fr. Miscamble, NDCatholic.com
- More weird sex stuff at Jesuit-run Fordham University
- Fr. Z’s Kitchen: Sunday Clerical Supper
- Your Sunday Sermon Notes
- WDTPRS – 24th and Last Sunday after Pentecost: Beg His help. Beg His mercy. Praise Him for His gifts.
- WDTPRS – Christ the King (2002MR): The world will be consumed in fire
- Fr. Z’s Kitchen: Sole Food!
- It’s “Stir Up Sunday”! What are your plans?
- “Asking Our Lady to Help Us Make Up for Lost Time” AUDIO INTERVIEW
- CQ CQ CQ #HamRadio Saturday – Frigid
- ASK FATHER: Is it a sin not to have a cere-cloth on the altar?
- Pope Francis to German Bishops: Your Church is a mess! Fix it and … GO TO CONFESSION!
- Fr. Z asks help: finding fabrics
- Lutheran Satire
- ASK FATHER: Can Orthodox obtain indulgences through the Catholic Church?
- ACTION ITEM: Pontifical Vestments Fund Raising – PROGRESS UPDATES
- When Jesuits quote Jesus… and when they don’t
- How about a Masters in RATZINGER STUDIES?
- Card. Sarah on marriage, mercy and the incomprehension of doctrine by priests
- “It was impossible to say Mass in the barrack, of course.”
For your consideration…
"One of the most dangerous errors is that civilization is automatically bound to increase and spread. The lesson of history is the opposite; civilization is a rarity, attained with difficulty and easily lost. The normal state of humanity is barbarism, just as the normal surface of the planet is salt water. Land looms large in our imagination and civilization in history books, only because sea and savagery are to us less interesting."
- C.S. Lewis
More food for thought:
“I expect to die in bed, my successor will die in prison and his successor will die a martyr in the public square. His successor will pick up the shards of a ruined society and slowly help rebuild civilization, as the church has done so often in human history.”
Francis Card. George
Be a “Zed-Head”!
Fr. Z’s stuff is everywhere
More food for thought…
"All laws which are repugnant to the Constitution are null and void."
- Marbury v. Madison, 5 U.S. 137, 176
Even More Food For Thought
"Men by their constitutions are naturally divided into two parties: 1. Those who fear and distrust the people, and wish to draw all powers from them into the hands of the higher classes. 2. Those who identify themselves with the people, have confidence in them, cherish and consider them as the most honest and safe, although not the most wise depositary of the public interests."
- Thomas Jefferson to Henry Lee, 1824. ME 16:73
Please follow me on Twitter!
Tag Archives: Gregorian chant
“There is only one problem in the whole world: restoring spiritual sense in people. Showering on them something like a Gregorian chant.” – Saint-Exupéry Simple? Too simple? Perhaps. Faith is the last thing that sinners lose, after charity, first, and … Continue reading
There are times when as I work or drive or walk I listen to the Office sung by Benedictine monks. For those of you who would like to get to know more about Gregorian chant, or start a schola, I … Continue reading
For your Brick By Brick file. There is a new CD or (digital download – no waiting and one less thing to dust or pack when moving!) of Gregorian chant and polyphony (Palestrina) sung by the seminarians of the Priestly Fraternity … Continue reading
Over at Rorate I found links to fascinating recordings on Youtube from 1904. First is the famous Benedictine pioneer of modern Gregorian chant, Dom André Mocquereau. He conducts students of the French Seminary in Rome in the chant Alleluia Pascha … Continue reading
I saw on Sandro Magister’s site today a piece about Gregorian chant making a come back, a come back promoted by Benedict XVI himself through the Congregation for Divine Worship – whose brief he modified – and through his own … Continue reading
Please use the sharing buttons! Thanks! From a reader: Praised by Jesus Christ! Thank you for your blog. Our small parish needs to find a tennabrae hearse. I am searching on ebay and various church supply websites, but I need … Continue reading
From a reader: The New Missal has started in my parish and the music is atrocious. I had to go to the local public high school play to hear Gregorian Chant! No regard for GIRM #41. My Bishop refuses to allow the … Continue reading
On the site of the Bishops Conference of England and Wales, there is an audio/podcast with Msgr. Andrew Wadsworth, Executive Secretary of ICEL about the new, corrected translation. Podcast: Mgr Andrew Wadsworth of ICEL talks about the new translation of … Continue reading
Liturgical liberals usually run down the intelligence of people in the pews, saying among other things that Joe and Mary Catholic will not be able to understand the new, corrected translation, or quod Deus avertat, LATIN. “It’s toooo haaard!“, they … Continue reading