About this blog…
“This blog is like a fusion of the Baroque ‘salon’ with its well-tuned harpsichord around which polite society gathered for entertainment and edification and, on the other hand, a Wild West “saloon” with its out-of-tune piano and swinging doors, where everyone has a gun and something to say. Nevertheless, we try to point our discussions back to what it is to be Catholic in this increasingly difficult age, to love God, and how to get to heaven.” – Fr. Z
Coat of Arms by D Burkart
Search Fr. Z’s Blog
SHOPPING ONLINE? Please, come here first!
Your use of my Amazon link is a major part of my income. It helps to pay for insurance, groceries, everything. Please remember me when shopping online. Thanks in advance.
Try AmazonFresh Free Trial
Shop Amazon Gold Box - New Deals. Everyday
Shop Amazon Gift Cards - Instant Delivery or Free One-Day Shipping
Try Prime Discounted Monthly Offering
And you do need a Kindle! - HERE
Kindle Unlimited Membership Plans
Do you want to show some appreciation?
YOUR RECENT COMMENTS
- Benedict Joseph: You nailed it, Father Z [as usual]. I too was surprised by the article at The Remnant this morning. I thought to myself “ 230;how did I miss that?̶ 1; and admonis...
- Amerikaner: I agree completely . This was a missed opportunit y! I too am thinking this is more about self-appea sement that united, concrete action.
- tho: Traditiona list are devoid of a main stream press outlet, a charismati c leader, and a deep pockets source of funds. Until God sends us a true leader, who can encompass all three necessitie s,...
- TRW: In this instance, I think it is likely that the event was intentiona lly kept on the down-low. There are many progressiv e lay groups in Germany that are well organized. It’s not a...
- Jones: What a funny picture. I’ve never seen or heard that expression before. A self licking ice cream cone… ; Anyway yes Father, you are right, people are so “ded icated to...
- chantgirl: Thanks for the answer, Fr. Z. That’ ;s what I figured. It’s not a comforting answer, but the truth is rarely comfortabl e these days.
- JabbaPapa: Just got my copy in the post today, original French edition — God bless Pope Benedict XVI and Robert Cardinal Sarah.
- Semper Gumby: Masked Chicken: “Ori ginal Sine” ;- good one. A room filled with laughing robots would be a little eerie. More so when you open the door and they stop laughing 8230;....
- robtbrown: Fr Z says, I can’t shake the suspicion that they think that if priestly celibacy isn’t taken down, then it will be much harder to force a change to the CCC on homosexual ity. If I might,...
- pray4truth: Printed/co pied and pasted the prayer so I can say it every day, bought a tee shirt for hubby and hoodie for me, and shared on FB!
- Missouri Knight: Amen, and purchased! Thank you for the awareness, Fr. Z!
- Semper Gumby: acardnal: You’ re right, there̵ 7;s a field manual for everything . The best, of course, is: The Chow Hall- A User’ ;s Manual. Anyway, GHP’ s comment about...
- Clinton R.: Through the Intercessi on of Archbishop Fulton Sheen, may Fr. Christense n be healed in Our Lord’ ;s Holy Name.
- THREEHEARTS: mike hurcum writes try https://ww w.lifesite news.com/n ews/abp-vi gano-denou nces-bened icts-secre tary-for-a busive-and -systemati c-control- of-pope-em eritus I have had trouble...
- catholicjen: I had an advanced class license that I stupidly let lapse. Hopefully at some point I can work on the no-code license to at least get my call sign back, then, perhaps, go for higher-...
- Leonius: This is a spit on the graves of recuscant martyrs like Saint Richard Gwyn who choose suffering and death rather than even set foot in a protestant church. Now we invite them into our...
- bartlep: I’m praying for Fr. Christense n every day. May he be cured forever and be a cause for Bishop Sheen’s sainthood.
- JustaSinner: Love the white puffy pressed hosts my Catholic Church of youth had. Had a cross pressed in. Melted in your mouth; a must in my nine year old mind as chewing on ChristR 17;s flesh...
- samwise: Sarah would make a good friend: “gre ater love hath no man… ”
- The Masked Chicken: I have been asked to submit a paper on humor and artificial intelligen ce for a conference in Italy, this summerR 30;hmmR 30;oh, wait, I’ve got the perfect thing...
- Benedict Joseph: So Pope Emeritus Benedict and Cardinal Sarah stand firm. God reward them! Another word from any degree of the “opp osition 221; is rendered impotent. The denizens of that...
- HvonBlumenthal: Fr. Z I hate to contradict you but surely it seems that Benedict was indeed deceived – by Gaenswein!
- Adelle Cecilia: I’ve ordered a shirt, and we’v e added the prayer (as typed) to the order of prayers at night. My oldest 2 already know it by heart, just from having been praying it...
- jaykay: Beautiful collect, and very appropriat e for the beginning of a new year and in these “our times̶ 1;. The current translatio n is very good, I think, with the exception of the...
- Semper Gumby: REM Evangeliza tion Program by Antonio 2+2=5 Spadaro 10 LET JESUS = GUY WITH A SUGGESTION 20 LET VATICAN GARDEN = PACHAMAMA PARK 30 LET CATHOLIC = RIGID 40 LET EVANGELIZI NG = WALKING...
Fr. Z’s VOICEMAIL
Nota bene: I do not answer these numbers or this Skype address. You won't get me "live". I check for messages regularly.
020 8133 4535
Don’t rely on popes, bishops and priests.
“Who is going to save our Church? Not our bishops, not our priests and religious. It is up to you, the people. You have the minds, the eyes, and the ears to save the Church. Your mission is to see that your priests act like priests, your bishops act like bishops.”
- Fulton Sheen
Therefore, ACTIVATE YOUR CONFIRMATION and get to work!
Send Snail Mail to Fr. Z
“The modern habit of doing ceremonial things unceremoniously is no proof of humility; rather it proves the offender's inability to forget himself in the rite, and his readiness to spoil for every one else the proper pleasure of ritual.”
- C.S. Lewis
This blog has to earn its keep!
PLEASE subscribe if it is useful.
That way I have steady income I can plan on, and you wind up regularly on my list of benefactors for whom I pray and for whom I periodically say Holy Mass.
For a one time donation...
I set up a
CONTINUE TO GIVE
account, which functions rather like PayPal. Some of you use it. Here is a QCode you can use with your smart phones. Try it!
Also, to receive a link to donate via Continue To Give using your smart phone SEND MESSAGE:
4827563 TO: 715-803-4772 (USA)
Some donations also come through CHASE. That works well. I don't think they take any percentage as fees.
2020 TLM Pilgrimage to the Holy Land
As for Latin…
"But if, in any layman who is indeed imbued with literature, ignorance of the Latin language, which we can truly call the 'catholic' language, indicates a certain sluggishness in his love toward the Church, how much more fitting it is that each and every cleric should be adequately practiced and skilled in that language!" - Pius XI
"Let us realize that this remark of Cicero (Brutus 37, 140) can be in a certain way referred to [young lay people]: 'It is not so much a matter of distinction to know Latin as it is disgraceful not to know it.'" - St. John Paul II
CLICK and say your daily offerings!
- Remember #UniteTheClans ? Wherein Fr. Z rants.
- URGENT PRAYER REQUEST for a young priest diagnosed with ALS – #padresfight
- WDTPRS – 2nd Ordinary (NO) & 2nd Sunday after Epiphany (TLM): God knows our needs better than we do.
- Card. Sarah has met with Benedict XVI as the haters stir “incessant, nauseating, dishonest controversy” #BOOKGATE
- UPDATE! ASK FATHER: Use of a Catholic church for the “ordination” of woman Episcopalian “bishop”
- ASK FATHER: I discovered that the hosts used are from flour of a variety of grains. What to do?
- “Let the Jesuits come to me. With hands in the air and without algorithms.” Fr. Z says: Let the Jesuits GO TO CHINA.
- CQ CQ CQ: Ham Radio Thursday – ZedNet reminder and a throat tightener
- Some stuff from my mail
- My View For Awhile: north
- More about #BOOKGATE and a Litany Against Modernists
- UPDATE – HILARITY ENSUES- Lib reactions to the new book from Card. Sarah and Benedict XVI
- To save the world, we have to save the liturgy. Wherein Fr. Z rants.
- Summary of FACTS about the controversial new book by BOTH Card. Sarah and Benedict XVI
- 14 January – Festum Asinorum #FeastoftheAss Day! (No, it’s not a special Jesuit holiday.)
- Letter from Card. Sarah in which he forgives his persecutors
- “With all the priests, we pray: Save us, Lord, we perish!” A snippet from the new Benedict/Sarah book
- FIRST REMARKS about the new book by Card. Sarah and Benedict XVI
- Your Sunday Sermon Notes – Holy Family/Baptism – 2020 – Fr. Z rants about word accents and microphones
- ASK FATHER: Why can’t I confess my sins to God and not the priest?
- WDTPRS – Holy Family (1962MR): Extend your family bond around someone you know who has no one else
- 2020 March for Life Friday 24 January & West Coast Walk for Life Saturday 25 January
- Card. Sarah: “Catholics can no longer remain silent.”
- ATTENTION: Blog SHUT DOWN and a REPEAT APPEAL
- The “Great Progressive Propaganda Machine”, Totalitarian Agendas, Incrementalism, and YOU – Wherein Fr. Z rants
- Chinese Joseph Card. Zen’s Open Letter to all the other Cardinals
- ROME: NEW Traditional Mass location
- My View For Awhile: Warmer
- PHOTOS: Blessing Epiphany Water 2020
- UPDATE: 2019 Christmas cards!
Let us pray…
Grant unto thy Church, we beseech Thee, O merciful God, that She, being gathered together by the Holy Ghost, may be in no wise troubled by attack from her foes. O God, who by sin art offended and by penance pacified, mercifully regard the prayers of Thy people making supplication unto Thee,and turn away the scourges of Thine anger which we deserve for our sins. Almighty and Everlasting God, in whose Hand are the power and the government of every realm: look down upon and help the Christian people that the heathen nations who trust in the fierceness of their own might may be crushed by the power of thine Arm. Through our Lord Jesus Christ, Thy Son, who liveth and reigneth with Thee in the unity of the Holy Ghost, God, world without end. R. Amen.
Yes, Fr. Z is taking ads…
Because it matters what children read…
Be a “Zed-Head”!
I carry one of these super-strong rosaries in my spare mag pouch! The Swiss Guards have them too!
My "challenge coin" for my 25th anniversary of ordination in 2016.
Want one? I do exchanges with military and LEOs, etc. and you can make a donation.
PLEASE RESPOND. Pretty pleeeease?Loading ...
WDTPRS POLLLoading ...
“Rigid”? Pfffft. “Faithful!” No priest’s desk or kitchen is complete without one, for young, old, and priests in general.
Fr. Z’s stuff is everywhere
Help support Fr. Z’s Gospel of Life work at no cost to you. Do you need a Real Estate Agent? Calling these people is the FIRST thing you should do!
GREAT causes to support
Help Monks in Wyoming (coffee – UPDATED LINK) and Norcia (beer) and the wonderful "Soap Sisters" of Summit, NJ!
Please follow me on Twitter!
If you travel internationally, this is a super useful gizmo for your mobile internet data. I use one. If you get one through my link, I get data rewards.
Monthly Archives: December 2016
From the bottom of my beady black heart, I send out thanks to all of you readers for your many acts of kindness and your attention over the last year. Let’s all pray that this next year of salvation, 2017, … Continue reading
Today, the last day of the year, you have an opportunity to obtain a plenary indulgence, under the usual conditions, by taking part in the recitation or singing of the Te Deum in a church or oratory. Tomorrow, 1 January, … Continue reading
I haven’t posted about Ham Radio lately. I haven’t been active. I have no “shack” at the moment here in the Cupboard Under the Stairs. (No bird feeders, either… though I do have a stove, now. That’s something.) However, I … Continue reading
I had a note about the obligation to do Friday penance (usually through abstinence) on the Friday in the Octave of Christmas. HERE. Yes, we were obliged to do penance… except where we weren’t. The reason is that the days … Continue reading
From a reader… some lighter fare. QUAERITUR: Sometimes I see faithful, traditional priests as heroes. That word might be overused today, but that’s how I see it. They work in obscurity and take a lot of hard knocks and keep … Continue reading
From a priest… QUAERITUR: I know that Canon Law currently permits, although discourages, a priest to say a Mass alone (i.e. without server or faithful). I’ve heard that previously, it was forbidden under penalty of mortal sin to say Mass … Continue reading
As seen on NLM: Four Bloggers Submit Dubium to Eye of the Tiber Concerning Its Status as Satire GREGORY DIPIPPO Four prominent members of the Catholic blogosphere – Fr John Zuhsldorf of Fr Z’s Blog (formerly called “What Does the Prayer … Continue reading
It’s mid-afternoon coffee time. How is your supply? You know what to do.
From a reader… already… Is Friday, December 30, a Meat Friday since it falls within the Octave of Christmas? It is good to see that someone is planning ahead. As I write we are a fortnight from the day in … Continue reading
I have occasionally exhorted you to … GO TO CONFESSION! I shall continue to do so. I take seriously my duty to try to keep as many of you out of Hell as I can and get as many as … Continue reading
Today is Childermas, the Feast of the Holy Innocents. Lully, lulla, thou little tiny child, By by, lully lullay, thou little tiny child, By by, lully lullay. O sisters too, How may we do For to preserve this day This … Continue reading
From a reader… QUAERITUR: I recently read about the indulgences formerly attached to being touched by the ‘penitential wand’ in Rome in the Raccolta. I’ve been trying to find more information about this practice online, all to no avail. I … Continue reading
I have an ACTION ITEM for you good readers. You have been generous to causes I have mentioned in the past. Sometimes people have a hard time finding causes to support. This is one of them that I admire. RIGHT NOW… … Continue reading
From a reader… QUAERITUR: In general it seems that we only ask God to have mercy on us. This is most clear in litanies of the saints, where the response for a saint is ‘pray for us’, but the response … Continue reading
From a reader… For the Year of Mercy, Pope Francis gave permission to receive Absolution from SSPX priests. Has that permission ended with the Year of Mercy or is it still in effect? We can’t find an official answer explaining … Continue reading