Search Fr. Z’s Blog
When you shop…... through Amazon, please, come here first? Enter Amazon through my search box. I'll then get a small percentage of everything you buy. (Pssst - Can't see the search box?Turn off your "ad-blocker" for this site!)
A search box for Amazon UK is at the bottom of the blog.
- You keep this blog, and me, going. I pray for benefactors.
There is a subscription form at the bottom of this page!
My wish lists
- NBW said Beautiful pictures Father. I like the sunset it...
- Chon said New Sister, The people at St. Patrick’s used...
- SKAY said Welcome to Louisiana Father!!! How lucky they are...
- PeterK said Fr. Z could you expand upon this statement? “...
- OurLadyandSheen said Archbishop Marino, Nuncio to Malaysia.
- RJ Sciurus said It would appear that you are among the Catholic Un...
- Ichabod said I’m jealous. I was last in Natchitoches, Lo...
- discipulus said I’m curious, who is titular bishop of this f...
- Will D. said It’s a nice town, indeed. Make sure to get...
- jameeka said Very moving, Father Z
- TKS said Splendid. Thank you.
- benedetta said @Brooklyn, Were you trying to say that if you were...
- New Sister said @ Chon, I know Saint Patrick’s; it would be...
- greinkebs said That Deacon on the video needs a Bishop like this....
- JNVA said Thank you, Father! I am using Bossuet’s Me...
- St. Epaphras said Listened on my iCatcher! App. Exactly what I neede...
- lsclerkin said Loud and clear here, too Father. Thank you! Father...
- yatzer said Listening to all. Thank you!
- Giuseppe said Bad joke of the day: A Higgs boson walks into a c...
- pelerin said The chicken says ‘now that I would like to s...
- mary said Thank you Fr.
- Chon said New Sister, I indeed know about St. James…se...
- Montenegro said Thank you Father.
- benedetta said For example the sacredness of holy matrimony betwe...
- katherine collins said The people of Albany DID have a voice in the selec...
- kevinm said Thank you Father… Kevin
- benedetta said Bishop Sample’s words that “we may hav...
- benedetta said This is very beautiful to see, and what an outstan...
- LarryW2LJ said Fr. Z, you’re in my prayers, by name, every...
- The Masked Chicken said ” and for the children fathered by the dead...
Yes, Fr. Z is taking ads…... and there will be nearly 1,000,000 page loads this month.
Food For Thought
“The legalization of the termination of pregnancy is none other than the authorization given to an adult, with the approval of an established law, to take the lives of children yet unborn and thus incapable of defending themselves. It is difficult to imagine a more unjust situation, and it is very difficult to speak of obsession in a matter such as this, where we are dealing with a fundamental imperative of every good conscience — the defense of the right to life of an innocent and defenseless human being.”
- Bl. John Paul II
CLICK and say your Daily Offering!
PLEASE RESPOND. Pretty pleeeease?Loading ...
WDTPRS POLLLoading ...
- LENTCAzT 08: Wednesday 1st Week of Lent
- Southern Sojourn
- Deacon Sandy rides again!
- LENTCAzT 07: Tuesday 1st Week of Lent
- WSJ: Long interview with D. Madison’s happy culture warrior, Bp. Morlino
- My View For Awhile: Heading South Edition
- WDTPRS Monday in the 1st Week of Lent (NO)
- Another request for a prayer
- LENTCAzT 06: Monday 1st Week of Lent
- Lent, Alligators and You – Revisited
- Your Sunday Sermon Notes
- FRANCE: Dead and Not-Yet-Dead Unions!
- LENTCAzT 05: 1st Sunday of Lent
- URGENT: 9 March – change your clocks in these USA
- WDTPRS 1st Sunday of Lent (2002MR): what we can learn in no other way
- VIDEO: Sermon for Archbishop Sample’s 1st Pontifical Mass – MUST SEE
- Church to raffle off an AR-15. Predictable hysteria ensues.
- A bishop’s pastoral letter on Pornography
- LENTCAzT 04: Saturday after Ash Wednesday
- Urgent prayer request: health
- Bishop Robert C. Morlino: 1st Anniversary of Pope Francis’ Pontificate
- Liberals still celebrate Anthony Kosnik’s book, once used in seminaries
- Albany Sourpusses
- “Whoa!” Brick by brick in the Diocese of Madison.
- How you would have observed Lent in 1873
- AUDIO Stations of the Cross: Benedict XVI, Bl. John Henry Newman, St. Alphonsus Liguori
- LENTCAzT 03: Friday after Ash Wednesday
- The Francis Effect™: Results Vary
- Francis and the Weeping Priests
- KY’s AG cites Francis undying quote as excuse for not upholding the law
Help Monks in Wyoming, Fr. Z, and get great coffee too!
Wyoming Catholic College!
More food for thought:
“I expect to die in bed, my successor will die in prison and his successor will die a martyr in the public square. His successor will pick up the shards of a ruined society and slowly help rebuild civilization, as the church has done so often in human history.”
Francis Card. George
Do you need a Real Estate Agent? Calling these people is the FIRST thing you should do!
Check out the Cardinal Newman Society feed!
I have been giving out these tougher-than-nails, no-nonsense Rosaries:
Please follow me on Twitter!
Fr. Z’s stuff is everywhere
Buying ammo online?
More food for thought…
“"I am only one, but I am one. I cannot do everything, but I can do something. And because I cannot do everything, I will not refuse to do the something that I can do. What I can do, I should do. And what I should do, by the grace of God, I will do.”
- Edward Everett Hale
Tag Archives: St. Augustine
I am reading a new biography of Augustine published by a fresh, talented writer, Miles Hollingworth.
Don’t let the title, St Augustine of Hippo, An Intellectual Biography, fool you. This is not a highbrow book intended for college professors, with an … Continue reading
I had an email from the Benedictines at Norcia in Italy. They sent the text of a sermon given some time ago by Fr. Cassian Folsom, OSB. Given recent events and the sermon’s topic, it occurred to me that we … Continue reading
Today’s prayer is at least as old as the Gelasian Sacramentary. It has survived the post-Conciliar revisions to live again on the 20th Sunday of Ordinary Time. The version in the Novus Ordo, however, adds a comma after ut.
COLLECT – (1962 Missale Romanum):
Deus, qui diligentibus te … Continue reading
This week’s Collect is effectively the same as one in the ancient Gelasian Sacramentary and the prayer in the 1962 Missale Romanum used during the week after Trinity Sunday.
Deus, in te sperantium fortitudo, invocantibus nostris adesto propitius, et, quia sine … Continue reading
Today is the feast of St. Aurea (in Greek Chryse, “Golden Girl”) of Ostia. She is an ancient martyr. You can read about here in these ancient Acta, HERE.
There is on the edge of Ostia Antica, the fascinating ruins of … Continue reading
In the older, traditional Roman calendar today is the feast of the mother of St. Augustine, St. Monnica, widow.
(Yes, you can spell her name “Monnica”, more consistent with her Punic origins.)
In the chapel of the Steam Pipe Trunk Distribution Venue … Continue reading
COLLECT (Usus Recentior)
Respice, Domine, familiam tuam, et praesta,
ut apud te mens nostra tuo desiderio fulgeat,
quae se corporalium moderatione castigat.
Today’s prayer was in the 1962 Missale Romanum and, long before that, in the so-called ancient “Gregorian Sacramentary“. This has been “adapted” … Continue reading
My friends of the Latin Mass Society in England have a new and worthy initiative.
The Sodality of St Augustine of Hippo
From the website:
The purpose of the Sodality is to unite the prayers of members for the conversion of those dear to … Continue reading
Today is the birthday of St. Augustine of Hippo (354). We actually know his birthday because he tells us in one of his Cassiciacum dialogues (De beata vita 6).
It is therefore also the feast of all the saints of the Augustinian … Continue reading
The Roman historian Livy wrote about the terminal decline of the Roman Republic that “Nec vitia nostra nec remedia pati possumus… We can bear neither our vices nor the remedies.”
Alas, I fear that our vices have called forth precisely the … Continue reading