SHOPPING ONLINE? Please, come here first!
About this blog…
“This blog is like a fusion of the Baroque ‘salon’ with its well-tuned harpsichord around which polite society gathered for entertainment and edification and, on the other hand, a Wild West “saloon” with its out-of-tune piano and swinging doors, where everyone has a gun and something to say. Nevertheless, we try to point our discussions back to what it is to be Catholic in this increasingly difficult age, to love God, and how to get to heaven.” – Fr. Z
Coat of Arms by D Burkart
NEW OPPORTUNITY – 10% off with code: FATHERZ10
Music from the FSSP Seminarians in Bavaria
GREAT BEER from Traditional Benedictine Monks in Italy
- The most evident mark of God’s anger and the most terrible castigation He can inflict upon the world are manifested when He permits His people to fall into the hands of clerics who are priests more in name than in deed, priests who practice the cruelty of ravening wolves rather than the charity and affection of devoted shepherds.
St. John Eudes
Wonderful about St. Joseph! “Terror of Demons”
Donate using VENMO
CLICK and say your daily offerings!
Do you want to show some appreciation?
Do you have a faithful Catholic website that needs competent and reliable tech support?
Fr. Z’s VOICEMAIL
Nota bene: I do not answer these numbers or this Skype address. You won't get me "live". I check for messages regularly.
020 8133 4535
YOUR RECENT COMMENTS
Books which you must have.
This REALLY helps! And it’s great coffee (and tea)
I use this when I travel both in these USA and abroad. Very useful. Fast enough for Zoom. I connect my DMR (ham radio) through it. If you use my link, they give me more data. A GREAT back up.
Don’t rely on popes, bishops and priests.
“He [Satan] will set up a counter-Church which will be the ape of the Church because, he the devil, is the ape of God. It will have all the notes and characteristics of the Church, but in reverse and emptied of its divine content. It will be a mystical body of the anti-Christ that will in all externals resemble the mystical body of Christ. In desperate need for God, whom he nevertheless refuses to adore, modern man in his loneliness and frustration will hunger more and more for membership in a community that will give him enlargement of purpose, but at the cost of losing himself in some vague collectivity.”
“Who is going to save our Church? Not our bishops, not our priests and religious. It is up to you, the people. You have the minds, the eyes, and the ears to save the Church. Your mission is to see that your priests act like priests, your bishops act like bishops.”
- Fulton Sheen
Therefore, ACTIVATE YOUR CONFIRMATION and get to work!
Send Snail Mail to Fr. Z
- “The modern habit of doing ceremonial things unceremoniously is no proof of humility; rather it proves the offender's inability to forget himself in the rite, and his readiness to spoil for every one else the proper pleasure of ritual.”
- C.S. Lewis
This blog has to earn its keep!
PLEASE subscribe via PayPal if it is useful.
That way I have steady income I can plan on, and you wind up regularly on my list of benefactors for whom I pray and for whom I periodically say Holy Mass.
In view of the rapidly changing challenges I now face, I would like to add more $10/month subscribers. Will you please help?
For a one time donation...
As for Latin…
"But if, in any layman who is indeed imbued with literature, ignorance of the Latin language, which we can truly call the 'catholic' language, indicates a certain sluggishness in his love toward the Church, how much more fitting it is that each and every cleric should be adequately practiced and skilled in that language!" - Pius XI
"Let us realize that this remark of Cicero (Brutus 37, 140) can be in a certain way referred to [young lay people]: 'It is not so much a matter of distinction to know Latin as it is disgraceful not to know it.'" - St. John Paul II
- Cupich’s war on Catholics continues: a Chicago pastor speaks up – UPDATED with tweet from Bp. Strickland @Bishopoftyler
- Vetus Ordo – Viganò – VIDEO
- CQ CQ CQ: Ham Radio – #ZedNet reminder – 16 January ’22
- Your Sunday Sermon Notes: 2nd Sunday after Epiphany (Novus Ordo: 2nd Ordinary)
- WDTPRS: 2nd Sunday after Epiphany (Novus Ordo: 2nd Ordinary): a “liturgical unicorn”
- Daily Rome Shot 388
- Daily Rome Shot 387
- Sat 15 Jan – CHICAGOLAND ALERT: Rosary Rally – SaveTheLatinMass.ORG
- I just saw an interesting movie called “Don’t Look Up”. Metaphor for what’s up in the Church right now?
- Alice von Hildebrand, 98. Requiescat in pace.
- Daily Rome Shot 386
- RECENT POSTS and THANKS!
- Daily Rome Shot 385
- NEW BOOK on St. Thomas More and St. John Fisher!
- Daily Rome Shot 384
- ASK FATHER: What to do about strange monthly intensions designated for gaining indulgences?
- What do bored Catholic young men do during COVID-1984 Theatre? Why, build a tank, of course! – VIDEO
- Super new book from Anthony Esolen: An Annotated Reading of the Prologue of John
- Daily Rome Shot 383
- Daily Rome Shot 382
- YOUR URGENT PRAYER REQUESTS – UPDATED!
- There seems to be a spirit of discontent in Chicago these days
- Your Sunday Sermon Notes: Holy Family Sunday (Novus Ordo: Baptism of the Lord)
- Daily Rome Shot 381
- Be proactive! Learning opportunities: Augustine’s Confessions and Latin
- Do you follow the incomparable Eccles?
- LAWLER: “And then came Francis.”
- Daily Rome Shot 380
- FOLLOW UP to “ACTION ITEM: Time Sensitive End of Year Giving Suggestions from Fr. Z”
- Verse 3:16 swag available … but not what you might be thinking!
Let us pray…
Grant unto thy Church, we beseech Thee, O merciful God, that She, being gathered together by the Holy Ghost, may be in no wise troubled by attack from her foes. O God, who by sin art offended and by penance pacified, mercifully regard the prayers of Thy people making supplication unto Thee,and turn away the scourges of Thine anger which we deserve for our sins. Almighty and Everlasting God, in whose Hand are the power and the government of every realm: look down upon and help the Christian people that the heathen nations who trust in the fierceness of their own might may be crushed by the power of thine Arm. Through our Lord Jesus Christ, Thy Son, who liveth and reigneth with Thee in the unity of the Holy Ghost, God, world without end. R. Amen.
Yes, Fr. Z is taking ads…
Be a “Zed-Head”!
My "challenge coin" for my 25th anniversary of ordination in 2016.
Want one? I do exchanges with military and LEOs, etc.
PLEASE RESPOND. Pretty pleeeease?Loading ...
This is really useful when travelling… and also when you aren’t and you need backup internet NOW! I use this for my DMR “Zednet” hotspot when I’m mobile. It’s a ham radio thing.
If you travel internationally, this is a super useful gizmo for your mobile internet data. I use one. If you get one through my link, I get data rewards.
Please use my links when shopping! I depend on your help.
WDTPRS POLLLoading ...
Fr. Z’s stuff is everywhere
Help support Fr. Z’s Gospel of Life work at no cost to you. Do you need a Real Estate Agent? Calling these people is the FIRST thing you should do!
GREAT causes to support
Daily Archives: 8 March 2008
One of these days I will have to find one of these in a Roman print shop or second hand boosk seller. This one is in a restaurant I often go to in Rome. And its from 1962!
I received an interesting e-mail concerning the implementation of Summorum Pontificum for communities cared for my the Archdiocese for the Military Services. This is something I have give some thought to and was left scratching my head. What follows is … Read More
Inside Catholic has an interesting article which I present with my emphases and comments. A Young Father Meets the Old Massby Steve Skojec 3/08/08 My discovery of the Traditional Latin Mass, now known in the wake of Summorum Pontificum as … Read More
NLM has an image from the late Dom Gerard Calvet’s requiem Mass. Dom Gerard was the abbot of the great monastery of Le Barroux. There are more images here. For example,
There is a very funny image over at South Ashford Priest. Be sure to go over and visit him and read his commentary about confession in crisis.
The probable ghost writer of the book with H.E. Piero Marini’s name on it A Challenging Reform, Fr. Keith Pecklers, SJ, has contributed a piece to the ultra-lefty The Tablet. My emphases and comments. Vested with symbolism Keith F. Pecklers … Read More
Each year the Sacred Penitentiary (the Church’s venerable tribunal for all things concerning the internal forum, indulgences, etc.) hosts a workshop for deacons and priests about confession and censures. I attended this several times. It is a highly instructive course. … Read More
This article from the California Catholic Daily was sent by a reader via e-mail. My emphases and comments: "A convenient and available church” San Francisco archdiocese gains Latin Mass, Santa Rosa diocese loses one The first episcopally-approved Tridentine Mass in … Read More
This is from the website of the Diocese of Tulsa. Chalice Restored for Papal Visit is Back in Washington D.C. 2/26/2008 – EOC Staff A 1938 chalice that will be used when Pope Benedict XVI celebrates Mass during his April … Read More