SHOPPING ONLINE? Please, come here first!
About this blog…
“This blog is like a fusion of the Baroque ‘salon’ with its well-tuned harpsichord around which polite society gathered for entertainment and edification and, on the other hand, a Wild West “saloon” with its out-of-tune piano and swinging doors, where everyone has a gun and something to say. Nevertheless, we try to point our discussions back to what it is to be Catholic in this increasingly difficult age, to love God, and how to get to heaven.” – Fr. Z
Coat of Arms by D Burkart
Wonderful about St. Joseph! “Terror of Demons”
ABORTION PILL RESCUE NETWORK
- The most evident mark of God’s anger and the most terrible castigation He can inflict upon the world are manifested when He permits His people to fall into the hands of clerics who are priests more in name than in deed, priests who practice the cruelty of ravening wolves rather than the charity and affection of devoted shepherds.
St. John Eudes
Donate using VENMO
GREAT BEER from Traditional Benedictine Monks in Italy
CLICK and say your daily offerings!
Do you want to show some appreciation?
Do you have a faithful Catholic website that needs competent and reliable tech support?
NEW OPPORTUNITY – 10% off with code: FATHERZ10
Fr. Z’s VOICEMAIL
Nota bene: I do not answer these numbers or this Skype address. You won't get me "live". I check for messages regularly.
020 8133 4535
YOUR RECENT COMMENTS
Books which you must have.
This REALLY helps! And it’s great coffee (and tea)
I use this when I travel both in these USA and abroad. Very useful. Fast enough for Zoom. I connect my DMR (ham radio) through it. If you use my link, they give me more data. A GREAT back up.
Don’t rely on popes, bishops and priests.
“He [Satan] will set up a counter-Church which will be the ape of the Church because, he the devil, is the ape of God. It will have all the notes and characteristics of the Church, but in reverse and emptied of its divine content. It will be a mystical body of the anti-Christ that will in all externals resemble the mystical body of Christ. In desperate need for God, whom he nevertheless refuses to adore, modern man in his loneliness and frustration will hunger more and more for membership in a community that will give him enlargement of purpose, but at the cost of losing himself in some vague collectivity.”
“Who is going to save our Church? Not our bishops, not our priests and religious. It is up to you, the people. You have the minds, the eyes, and the ears to save the Church. Your mission is to see that your priests act like priests, your bishops act like bishops.”
- Fulton Sheen
Therefore, ACTIVATE YOUR CONFIRMATION and get to work!
Send Snail Mail to Fr. Z
- “The modern habit of doing ceremonial things unceremoniously is no proof of humility; rather it proves the offender's inability to forget himself in the rite, and his readiness to spoil for every one else the proper pleasure of ritual.”
- C.S. Lewis
This blog has to earn its keep!
PLEASE subscribe via PayPal if it is useful.
That way I have steady income I can plan on, and you wind up regularly on my list of benefactors for whom I pray and for whom I periodically say Holy Mass.
In view of the rapidly changing challenges I now face, I would like to add more $10/month subscribers. Will you please help?
For a one time donation...
As for Latin…
"But if, in any layman who is indeed imbued with literature, ignorance of the Latin language, which we can truly call the 'catholic' language, indicates a certain sluggishness in his love toward the Church, how much more fitting it is that each and every cleric should be adequately practiced and skilled in that language!" - Pius XI
"Let us realize that this remark of Cicero (Brutus 37, 140) can be in a certain way referred to [young lay people]: 'It is not so much a matter of distinction to know Latin as it is disgraceful not to know it.'" - St. John Paul II
- 11 August: Wonderful Collect for St. Lawrence
- Daily Rome Shot 529, etc.
- “The sky is crying…” – The Vigil and Tears of St. Lawrence
- Daily Rome Shot 528, etc.
- Wherein Fr. Z rants and recommends a must read entry at NLM
- Meanwhile, the Novus Ordo is the only expression of the Roman Rite… not.
- ASK FATHER: The faithful put blood, sweat, and tears into the building, revival of churches, parishes. Given how bishops treat them, is there recourse in Canon Law?
- Your Sunday Sermon Notes: 9th Sunday after Pentecost (N.O. 19th Sunday)
- Daily Rome Shot 527, etc.
- If a law isn’t accepted, it is essentially no law at all. Traditionis? Time will tell. Novus Ordo? Time has told.
- ASK FATHER: Considering the chaos surrounding ‘Traditionis custodes” could we say that, in effect, it is no law at all?
- Daily Rome Shot 526, etc.
- FATHERS! LAITY! Are you ready?
- Daily Rome Shot 525, etc.
- ASK FATHER: I failed to do my confession penance. Now what?
- Daily Rome Shot 524, etc.
- Daily Rome Shot 523, etc.
- Hilarious statement from the Archdiocese of Chicago about the suppression of the Institute of Christ the King
- ASK FATHER: Should displaced Catholics attend the Novus Ordo? Wherein Fr. Z rants.
- Just Too Cool: Mars rover Curiosity is 10 years old
- VIDEO – A message from Card. Burke to the readership of Fr. Z’s Blog
- Daily Rome Shot 522, etc.
- “Si vis pacem para bellum!” Traditional Catholic Activism? Possible? Necessary? Unavoidable? A mind exercise.
- Daily Rome Shot 521, etc. and…
- Daily Rome Shot 520, etc.
- 3.5% of a group can bring the group down, turn it around, or take it over.
- “Beautiful? The FAITHFUL paid for that. Because they WANTED it. And they trusted. They trusted.”
- Invoking “Grandmother of the West”….? What is THAT all about?
- Daily Rome Shot 519, etc.
- D. Arlington: more accompaniment for the faithful who desire the Vetus Ordo
Let us pray…
Grant unto thy Church, we beseech Thee, O merciful God, that She, being gathered together by the Holy Ghost, may be in no wise troubled by attack from her foes. O God, who by sin art offended and by penance pacified, mercifully regard the prayers of Thy people making supplication unto Thee,and turn away the scourges of Thine anger which we deserve for our sins. Almighty and Everlasting God, in whose Hand are the power and the government of every realm: look down upon and help the Christian people that the heathen nations who trust in the fierceness of their own might may be crushed by the power of thine Arm. Through our Lord Jesus Christ, Thy Son, who liveth and reigneth with Thee in the unity of the Holy Ghost, God, world without end. R. Amen.
Yes, Fr. Z is taking ads…
Be a “Zed-Head”!
My "challenge coin" for my 25th anniversary of ordination in 2016.
Want one? I do exchanges with military and LEOs, etc.
PLEASE RESPOND. Pretty pleeeease?Loading ...
This is really useful when travelling… and also when you aren’t and you need backup internet NOW! I use this for my DMR “Zednet” hotspot when I’m mobile. It’s a ham radio thing.
If you travel internationally, this is a super useful gizmo for your mobile internet data. I use one. If you get one through my link, I get data rewards.
Please use my links when shopping! I depend on your help.
WDTPRS POLLLoading ...
Fr. Z’s stuff is everywhere
Help support Fr. Z’s Gospel of Life work at no cost to you. Do you need a Real Estate Agent? Calling these people is the FIRST thing you should do!
GREAT causes to support
Category Archives: My View
I begin with his peroration… Perhaps the bishops are not thinking about the liturgy at all, but about the people – whose devotion they envy, and whose moral conservatism they detest. Is that it? Are they more to be punished … Read More
The conference has wrapped up and every one has returned home… or… they aren’t there anymore. The Conference was terrific. I would go every year and I warmly recommend it to my priest readers. HERE BTW… many of the guys … Read More
I’m heading to a conference for priests. More on this HERE. Priests could sign up for the virtual conference from anywhere in the world. My next flight is delayed… not too long, but perhaps long enough to miss a shuttle. … Read More
I was up with the Roman sun at 5:37 but I won’t be around for the sunset at 20:52. I won’t be around to hear – or not hear – the Ave Maria bell ring in Vatican City at 21:15. … Read More
Rome greeted somewhat less blazing sun at 5:36 and shall bid the chariot to depart at 20:52. The Ave Maria remains in the 21:15 cycle. It is the Feast of the Most Precious Blood and this month is dedicated to … Read More
Sunrise… sunset… sunrise… sunset…. not many more! 5:34 and 20:52 & AV@2115. It is the feast of, inter alios, St. Proper of Aquitaine (+455 in Rome). In other news, in Madrid nudius tertius, for Round 8 Nepo threw a Reti … Read More
Sunset was at 20:52 and, somewhere the Ave Maria may have rung at 21:15. The sunrise was at a distant 5:33. Please remember me when shopping online. Thanks in advance, it’s really important for me. US HERE – UK HERE And please let any … Read More
We are past the Solstice. Sunrise was at 5:33 and sunset will be at 20:52. The Ave Maria should ring at 21:15 One of the saddest lines in all of the New Testament, but also one leading to profound mysteries, … Read More
Sunrise was at 5:33 and sunset at 20:51 and the Ave Maria, were it to chime in SCV, 21:15. The Summer Solstice occurred at 9:13 UTC. It is the Feast of St. Aloysius Gonzaga in both the Novus and Vetus. … Read More
On this fine, sunny, hot, Roman June day the sunset occurred at 5:32. Sunset, 20:51. Ave Maria, you already know….21:15. Today in many places there was the “external” celebration of Corpus Christi, or Corpus Domini, or Corpus et Sanguis Domini, … Read More
You know how this goes… 5:32 – 20:50 – 21:15. I went into Trastevere today over the Sistine Bridge, the Ponte Sisto, my favorite Roman bridge. My goal was to visit S. Giovanni de Matha (closed), S. Dorotea, S. M. … Read More
These long Roman summer days. This one started with sunrise at 5:32 and will conclude with sunset at 20:50. The ringing of the Ave Maria is scheduled for 21:15. It is the traditional Feast of Corpus Christi, often observed on … Read More
I was not up to see it, but I am confident that the Roman sunrise was at 5:32 and that the sunset will be at 20:50. In the Vatican City State the Ave Maria bell won’t ring at 21:15 as … Read More
I seek to accomplish a few things in this post. First, it is good to set the record straight, lately distorted by a minor trad site, gloria.tv. Also, repeat something I’ve bashed away at for years, but haven’t bashed lately. … Read More
5:32 was sunrise in Rome and 20:49 will be sunset, by which time I hope to be eating Spaghetti alle vongole with The Great Roman™. The Ave Maria bell is in its 22:15 cycle. I put some time and energy … Read More
The time of sunrise in Rome today was 5:32. Sunset will fall at 20:49. The Ave Maria won’t ring at 21:15 in the Vatican, but it should ring at one Roman parish at 21:19. It is the feast of St. … Read More
Sunrise was quite some time ago at 5:32 and sunset will very close to now at 20:48. The Ave Maria Bell should ring in the Vatican at 21:15. However, technically it should ring elsewhere at 21:18. Some have desired more … Read More
From a reader… QUAERITUR: I have seen many documents and books explaining that a first rinse or wash of purificators and corporals must be done before laundering as usual. But after much searching I have been unable to find specific … Read More
Pentecost Saturday Today the Season of Easter comes to an end. The cycle that started with pre-Lent Sunday’s is over. Being an Ember Saturday, there would be a vigil in the night in preparation for ordinations to the priesthood at … Read More
Sunrise…. sunset… 5:32… 20:48 Ave Maria? 21:15 I committed a crime against humanity here. I have been sketching as I go about. The results have not been good. But here… as I regarded my scratchings… I nearly wept for … Read More