SHOPPING ONLINE? Please, come here first!
Your support is important. Thanks in advance.
To donate monthly via Continue To Give use your phone's camera to activate the Q code or text 4827563 to 715-803-4772 (US) for a link.
For Zelle and Chase, etc., use
frz AT wdtprs DOT com.
About this blog…
“This blog is like a fusion of the Baroque ‘salon’ with its well-tuned harpsichord around which polite society gathered for entertainment and edification and, on the other hand, a Wild West “saloon” with its out-of-tune piano and swinging doors, where everyone has a gun and something to say. Nevertheless, we try to point our discussions back to what it is to be Catholic in this increasingly difficult age, to love God, and how to get to heaven.” – Fr. Z
Coat of Arms by D Burkart
“I’m Fr. Z and I warmly endorse this message!”
Wonderful about St. Joseph! “Terror of Demons”
ABORTION PILL RESCUE NETWORK
- The most evident mark of God’s anger and the most terrible castigation He can inflict upon the world are manifested when He permits His people to fall into the hands of clerics who are priests more in name than in deed, priests who practice the cruelty of ravening wolves rather than the charity and affection of devoted shepherds.
St. John Eudes
I am delighted to have been approved as an affiliate of Chess.com and House of Staunton.
Use FATHERZ10 at checkout for 10% off
Donate using VENMO
GREAT BEER from Traditional Benedictine Monks in Italy
CLICK and say your daily offerings!
Do you want to show some appreciation?
Do you have a faithful Catholic website that needs competent and reliable tech support?
NEW OPPORTUNITY – 10% off with code: FATHERZ10
Fr. Z’s VOICEMAIL
Nota bene: I do not answer these numbers or this Skype address. You won't get me "live". I check for messages regularly.
020 8133 4535
YOUR RECENT COMMENTS
- ProfessorCover on Missae pro Missa Update: News release for traditional Catholic media: “One thing I have often wondered about is how one makes something his intention for a Mass. I typically pray…”
- acardnal on 1993 – 30 years ago when Mother Angelica declared war: “And don’t forget those pesky labyrinths are still around, too.”
- Benedict Joseph on 1993 – 30 years ago when Mother Angelica declared war: “You are getting old, Father, it wasn’t twenty years ago but thirty, even though it does feel like yesterday. I…”
- Charivari Rob on UPDATED – My View For Awhile: deepest darkest Brooklyn: “Eegarding “important errands” and the Flatbush Avenue exit sign: while baseball and Opening Day are indeed important, I regret to…”
- PostCatholic on UPDATED – My View For Awhile: deepest darkest Brooklyn: “Particulate matter (dirt, dust, smoke etc) from the airfield or encountered in flight, even tiny, plus the friction inherent in…”
- InFormationDiakonia on Daily Rome Shot 705 with additional thanks: “Viaggio sicuro Padre Z!”
- Gregg the Obscure on Daily Rome Shot 705 with additional thanks: “safe and happy travels!”
- JonPatrick on LENTCAzT 2023 – 38: Friday Passiontide – Our Lady of Sorrows: “Thank you Father. It is sad that the Novus Ordo, in both its missal and breviary omits any mention of…”
- Kathleen10 on Daily Rome Shot 704: “We appreciate the Rome posters, they give a lift to Catholics all over the world. We have no voice, Rome…”
- threej on Daily Rome Shot 705 with additional thanks: “Q-a3!. If K-d2, then Qxc3. If K-b1, then Bxc3.”
- WVC on Daily Rome Shot 705 with additional thanks: “I thought of: 1. . . . Qa3+ 2. Kd2 Bc3+ 3. . . . Bxe1 But I don’t know…”
- deaconjohn1987 on UPDATED – My View For Awhile: deepest darkest Brooklyn: “Now I’m homesick after looking at these photos. I was ordained for the Diocese of Brooklyn on April 25th, 1987.…”
- ArsAstronautica on UPDATED – My View For Awhile: deepest darkest Brooklyn: “As to the scratched windows, there are TWO theories. #1 If the scratches are on the inside, those are from…”
- SophiaGrace on LENTCAzT 2023 – 37: Thursday Passiontide – The counterpart to the Prodigal Son: “Thank you, Father, for these LENTCAzTS. From a genuine laugh at “humbly accepted care of it” regarding the station church…”
- Cliff on Daily Rome Shot 704: “1. Bc4+ Rf7 (Kg8 would be suicide by Kg6#) 2. Kxf7 . . . 3. Ke5 . . . 4.…”
Books which you must have.
This REALLY helps! And it’s great coffee (and tea)
I use this when I travel both in these USA and abroad. Very useful. Fast enough for Zoom. I connect my DMR (ham radio) through it. If you use my link, they give me more data. A GREAT back up.
Don’t rely on popes, bishops and priests.
“He [Satan] will set up a counter-Church which will be the ape of the Church because, he the devil, is the ape of God. It will have all the notes and characteristics of the Church, but in reverse and emptied of its divine content. It will be a mystical body of the anti-Christ that will in all externals resemble the mystical body of Christ. In desperate need for God, whom he nevertheless refuses to adore, modern man in his loneliness and frustration will hunger more and more for membership in a community that will give him enlargement of purpose, but at the cost of losing himself in some vague collectivity.”
“Who is going to save our Church? Not our bishops, not our priests and religious. It is up to you, the people. You have the minds, the eyes, and the ears to save the Church. Your mission is to see that your priests act like priests, your bishops act like bishops.”
- Fulton Sheen
Therefore, ACTIVATE YOUR CONFIRMATION and get to work!
Send Snail Mail to Fr. ZFr John Zuhlsdorf
Tridentine Mass Society of Madison
733 Struck St.
PO BOX 44603
Madison, WI 53744-4603
For email HERE
- “The modern habit of doing ceremonial things unceremoniously is no proof of humility; rather it proves the offender's inability to forget himself in the rite, and his readiness to spoil for every one else the proper pleasure of ritual.”
- C.S. Lewis
This blog has to earn its keep!
PLEASE subscribe via PayPal if it is useful.
That way I have steady income I can plan on, and you wind up regularly on my list of benefactors for whom I pray and for whom I periodically say Holy Mass.
In view of the rapidly changing challenges I now face, I would like to add more $10/month subscribers. Will you please help?
For a one time donation...
As for Latin…
"But if, in any layman who is indeed imbued with literature, ignorance of the Latin language, which we can truly call the 'catholic' language, indicates a certain sluggishness in his love toward the Church, how much more fitting it is that each and every cleric should be adequately practiced and skilled in that language!" - Pius XI
"Let us realize that this remark of Cicero (Brutus 37, 140) can be in a certain way referred to [young lay people]: 'It is not so much a matter of distinction to know Latin as it is disgraceful not to know it.'" - St. John Paul II
- LENTCAzT 2023 – 39: Saturday Passiontide – The hour is coming.
- My View For Awhile: ROMANES EUNT DOMUS!
- From “The Private Diary of Bishop F. Atticus McButterpants” – 23-03-31 – Meeting with clergy
- 1993 – 30 years ago when Mother Angelica declared war
- Daily Rome Shot 706
- LENTCAzT 2023 – 38: Friday Passiontide – Our Lady of Sorrows
- Daily Rome Shot 705 with additional thanks
- LENTCAzT 2023 – 37: Thursday Passiontide – The counterpart to the Prodigal Son
- UPDATED – My View For Awhile: deepest darkest Brooklyn
- Missae pro Missa Update: News release for traditional Catholic media
- Daily Rome Shot 704
- LENTCAzT 2023 – 36: Wednesday Passiontide – There are only two camps
- From “The Private Diary of Bishop F. Atticus McButterpants” – 23-03-28 – A trip to the convent
- Daily Rome Shot 703
- LENTCAzT 2023 – 35: Tuesday Passiontide – When the hour comes
- Your Sunday Sermon Notes – 1st Passion Sunday (5th Lent) 2023 and a POLL about veiled images
- Daily Rome Shot 702
- FOR SALE
- LENTCAzT 2023 – 34: Monday Passiontide – Repent and live!
- POLL: Covering images for Passiontide, 5th Sunday of Lent – 2023
- WDTPRS – 5th Sunday of Lent: Liturgical death throes
- Daily Rome Shot 701
- LENTCAzT 2023 – 33: 1st Passion Sunday – Passiontide begins
- LENTCAzT 2023 – 32: Saturday 4th Week – Annunciation
- MUST READ! Why do heretics remain in the Church instead of just being honest and getting out?
- Daily Rome Shot 700
- “Only what is true can ultimately be pastoral”.
- 24 March – Feast of St. Gabriel, Archangel – images
- From “The Private Diary of Bishop F. Atticus McButterpants” – 23-03-24 – Priests retirement home
Let us pray…
Grant unto thy Church, we beseech Thee, O merciful God, that She, being gathered together by the Holy Ghost, may be in no wise troubled by attack from her foes. O God, who by sin art offended and by penance pacified, mercifully regard the prayers of Thy people making supplication unto Thee,and turn away the scourges of Thine anger which we deserve for our sins. Almighty and Everlasting God, in whose Hand are the power and the government of every realm: look down upon and help the Christian people that the heathen nations who trust in the fierceness of their own might may be crushed by the power of thine Arm. Through our Lord Jesus Christ, Thy Son, who liveth and reigneth with Thee in the unity of the Holy Ghost, God, world without end. R. Amen.
Be a “Zed-Head”!
My "challenge coin" for my 25th anniversary of ordination in 2016.
Want one? I do exchanges with military and LEOs, etc.
PLEASE RESPOND. Pretty pleeeease?Loading ...
This is really useful when travelling… and also when you aren’t and you need backup internet NOW! I use this for my DMR “Zednet” hotspot when I’m mobile. It’s a ham radio thing.
If you travel internationally, this is a super useful gizmo for your mobile internet data. I use one. If you get one through my link, I get data rewards.
Please use my links when shopping! I depend on your help.
WDTPRS POLLLoading ...
Fr. Z’s stuff is everywhere
Help support Fr. Z’s Gospel of Life work at no cost to you. Do you need a Real Estate Agent? Calling these people is the FIRST thing you should do!
GREAT causes to support
Tag Archives: Amoris Laetitia
#AmazonSynod, optional celibacy, divorced and remarried priests, and Amoris Laetitia
Let’s think about “optional celibacy” which the Germans and other iconoclasts want in order to drive the Church towards becoming a well-connected NGO. Let’s use Amoris laetitia (“The Joy of Sex”) as a lens. So, Father is married. The marriage doesn’t … Read More
Benedict XVI’s recent essay is a subtle correction of Amoris laetitia ch. 8
At Crisis find analysis by Richard A. Spinello of Benedict XVI’s recent explanation for The Present Crisis. The writer says that Benedict has, between the lines, criticized Amoris laetitia. I also, a couple says back, saw a piece arguing that … Read More
A public “Amoris Laetitia” celebration of getting around adultery
It has been some time since we’ve looked into issues arising from the ambiguity laden Ch. 8 of Amoris laetitia. Remember that those who wish to distort the words of the Lord and Catholic moral theology will read it one way, … Read More
ASK FATHER: Is “Amoris laetitia” really translated “The Exuberance of Lust”?
From a reader… QUAERITUR: I read in a couple obscure places that the literal translation of Amoris Laetitia (which was originally in Latin) is something along the lines of “the Exuberance of Lust”, based on common usage of the Latin … Read More
Pope Francis changed the Catechism about the death penalty. What next? Wherein Fr. Z opines.
I wonder if the recent move of the Holy Father to change the text – the teaching of the Church – of the paragraph in the Catechism of the Catholic Church about the death penalty will generate enough buzz to … Read More
Dubious dubia about the Dubia
Once upon a time there was a Post-Synodal Apostolic Exhortation that caused a lot of head scratching. And so some Cardinals got together, four in all, and asked the writer of the Exhortation – or rather the Pope whose signature … Read More
A “puzzled” and “surprise” Card. Kasper is “furious”
You know how Communion in the hand was accomplished. You know how the use of “altar girls” was achieved. Libs intentionally violate the law until the law is changed. That’s what happened. Moreover, even the restraints and caveats in the … Read More
Priests appeal to Bishops about “pastoral crisis”
This comes from the National Catholic Register via ed Pentin: Priests Appeal to World’s Bishops to Address ‘Pastoral Crisis’ in the Church A group of priests has issued a plea to all the world’s bishops to “reaffirm Christ’s teaching” in the face of … Read More
Peter Hünermann’s errors about marriage and their influence today
One of the figures who emerged from the shadows through the Lettergate scandal, is German liberal (wrong) theologian Peter Hünermann. Benedict XVI had a strong negative reaction to finding him among the writers of the series that was intended to bolster … Read More
Card. Kasper: homosexual relationships are analogous to marriages
Card. Kasper, ladies and gentlemen. The Gift that Keeps on Giving. From LifeSite: Cardinal Kasper: Homosexual unions are ‘analogous’ to Christian marriage [Sure! Both of them involve carbon-based life forms!] March 14, 2018 (LifeSiteNews.com) – Cardinal Walter Kasper, whose … Read More
Wherein Card. Kasper tells us what we can and can’t say
This from Jesuit-run Amerika: Cardinal Kasper: Quit throwing around the word ‘heretic’ [Hmmm. I’ll bet he says that!] Think twice before calling someone a “heretic.” That is the seemingly simple advice from Cardinal Walter Kasper, the prominent German theologian whose ideas … Read More
Fr. Murray looks again at the Profession about marriage issued by the Bishops of Kazakhstan
Not long ago, the Bishops of Kazakhstan issued a document, a Profession of the Immutable Truths about Sacramental Marriage. I wrote about it and provided an audio reading of it HERE. At The Catholic Thing my friend Fr. Gerry Murray has written … Read More
WRONG: Maltese, Germans, Argentinians and now Braga. “Patently and gravely wrong.” Ed Peters explains the situation.
My old pastor and mentor, Msgr. Schuler, used to say: When you’re right, you can’t be wrong. The flip side is: When you’re wrong, you can’t be right. There are a lot of people out there who are just plain … Read More
Card. Eijk: Pope Francis should create clarity about ‘Amoris laetitia’
UPDATE: I note that Mark de Vries has a better translation than the one someone has provided so far: HERE (In Dutch, the word for ‘thus’, and an informal word for ‘sister’ consisting of its first syllable, are homonyms…) ____ … Read More
Hitchens: We were told not to worry.
At First Things, Dan Hitchens nailed it. Look at this. When communion for the remarried was reintroduced into Catholic discussion a few years ago, we were informed that it was a “pastoral” and “merciful” initiative. Those of us who pointed … Read More
Card. Müller on authority of Popes, possibility of others correcting contradictory papal teachings
Back in December, First Things published a piece by the former Prefect of the CDF, Gerard Ludwig Card. Müller on the sacrament of penance. His observations on objective sin and subjective guilt, about knowledge, etc., are germane to a whole raft … Read More
VIDEO Bp. Athanasius Schneider interview about “Amoris laetitia” Controversy
His Excellency, Bishop Athanasius Schneider, gave an interview on French TV about Pope Francis and the Amoris laetitia controversy that is tearing apart of the unity of the Church in many spheres. The video is available. There are English subtitles. … Read More
Wherein @MassimoFaggioli tosses another nastygram at the “rigorist” straw man
Massimo “Beans” Faggioli … what a puzzle. He seems to be bright, but he constantly tweets dopey things. The diocese in Albano, Italy is setting up a shelter for separated or divorced fathers who, having to pay monthly livelihood to … Read More
UDPATED Two stories intersect in Ch 8 of Amoris laetitia: An attack on Humanae vitae and a Cardinal speaks up
UPDATE 11 Jan: Fathers and seminarians, Be sure to read the response by a good theological to the bad theologian – the canary in the mine shaft – who at a Jesuit school launched an attack on the integrity of Humanae … Read More