About this blog…
“This blog is like a fusion of the Baroque ‘salon’ with its well-tuned harpsichord around which polite society gathered for entertainment and edification and, on the other hand, a Wild West “saloon” with its out-of-tune piano and swinging doors, where everyone has a gun and something to say. Nevertheless, we try to point our discussions back to what it is to be Catholic in this increasingly difficult age, to love God, and how to get to heaven.” – Fr. Z
Coat of Arms by D Burkart
Search Fr. Z’s Blog
SHOPPING ONLINE? Please, come here first!
Your use of my Amazon link is a major part of my income. It helps to pay for insurance, groceries, everything. Please remember me when shopping online. Thanks in advance.
Try AmazonFresh Free Trial
Shop Amazon Gold Box - New Deals. Everyday
Shop Amazon Gift Cards - Instant Delivery or Free One-Day Shipping
Try Prime Discounted Monthly Offering
And you do need a Kindle! - HERE
Kindle Unlimited Membership Plans
Do you want to show some appreciation?
YOUR RECENT COMMENTS
- khouri: The Mother of God’ s greatest honor and greatest title is just that, “Mot her of God” . The Church at the Council of Ephesus gave the title “The otokosR 21;...
- Adelle Cecilia: Now, see… I did “pre view,̶ 1; and it showed my “thu mbs up,” not a “? 8221; Oh well.
- Adelle Cecilia: Indeed. ?
- Ave Maria: No flu shot for me ever.
- Semper Gumby: acardnal: According to that sage of sand and sea, Jimmy Buffet, it’s five o’cl ock somewhere.
- templariidvm: I have always had trouble/st ruggled with the Blessed Mother as oracle or soothsayer . I’ll be honest, I tend to avoid trying to interpret these things. Clear things like...
- acardnal: So get your flu shot. Go to confession . Have a drink.
- acardnal: It should be noted that more people have died from the flu this season than from coronaviru s. In the USA about 8100 since October!
- Semper Gumby: Solid first paragraph Fr. Z. Earth Abides is a good novel, thanks ArthurH. For what it’s worth, some background info on the 1918 pandemic. Some say it originated in Asia or...
- Benedictus: At first, I thought that our shepherds had our best interest and would not lie to us. I took what the hierarchy said about Fatima and that was the end of it. With the lies, manipul...
- Fr_Sotelo: Suburbanba nshee, Thank you for providing the original Portuguese . Your two posts above are an excellent explanatio n of the phrasing that Sister Lucia wrote. I hope others take the...
- DeeEmm: Father Z, what a brilliant observatio n!! For my part I don’t believe this vision is to be understood literally in its entirety and your words give us a good example. This is why we need...
- Facta Non Verba: The 2011 movie Contagion, with Matt Damon, is chilling. It is fictional, of course, but takes place in Minneapoli s. At one point, they close the border with Wisconsin to trap all...
- Suburbanbanshee: I think we should give a pass to The Irishman. It’s clearly an example of the Holy Spirit leaning on both the casting director (or even Scorsese himself) for the benefit of...
- THREEHEARTS: mike hurcum writes Do you Fr see any relationsh ip in this ancient prophecy to Bl. Mary of Fatima? https://ww w.latinrit emass.org/ wp-content /uploads/2 014/03/bar tholomew-h olzhau...
- ArthurH: There is a great “aft er epidemic/b io war” book. It’s Earth Abides by George Stewart. Excellent read of what happens after such. Not what you might think̷ 0; until...
- JesusFreak84: I’m firmly of the belief that we HAVE to interpret this as if if had actually been revealed in 1960 per Our Lady’s orders. So, bluntly, if that message is calling into quest...
- Fr. John Zuhlsdorf: Everyone: Here is a screenshot of the comment form:
- Suburbanbanshee: Um… guys, an angel with a flaming sword or “swo rd of fire” ; (espada de fogo) is a pretty obvious reference to the cherubim and the “swo rd of flame̶ 1;...
- Fr. John Zuhlsdorf: Jacob: obligation to go to Mass? It’s probably a little too early to start worrying. I don’ t think it is too early to start thinking.
- Suburbanbanshee: You know, folks, it’s probably more to the point to strengthen your immune system against both unknown and known infections . 1. Eat good. Sleep good. Drink lots of fluids....
- khouri: “Ben evacantism ”, references to various visionarie s, opinions abounding as to what “mes sages̶ 1; mean… ;why not simply ask the VirginR 17;s powerful inter...
- Jacob: Father, with folks who are not symptomati c able to spread the virus for two weeks, at what point do you think we are free from the obligation to go to Mass? How soon is too soon to worry?
- Bob: The Stand was a great book, however, I also can no longer read King. As far as I’m concerned, his liberal use of vulgaritie s just does not add to his books. As a matter of fact he lost...
- mrwarminski: Good grief̷ 0;”our hands “
Fr. Z’s VOICEMAIL
Nota bene: I do not answer these numbers or this Skype address. You won't get me "live". I check for messages regularly.
020 8133 4535
Don’t rely on popes, bishops and priests.
“Who is going to save our Church? Not our bishops, not our priests and religious. It is up to you, the people. You have the minds, the eyes, and the ears to save the Church. Your mission is to see that your priests act like priests, your bishops act like bishops.”
- Fulton Sheen
Therefore, ACTIVATE YOUR CONFIRMATION and get to work!
Send Snail Mail to Fr. Z
“The modern habit of doing ceremonial things unceremoniously is no proof of humility; rather it proves the offender's inability to forget himself in the rite, and his readiness to spoil for every one else the proper pleasure of ritual.”
- C.S. Lewis
This blog has to earn its keep!
PLEASE subscribe if it is useful.
That way I have steady income I can plan on, and you wind up regularly on my list of benefactors for whom I pray and for whom I periodically say Holy Mass.
For a one time donation...
I set up a
CONTINUE TO GIVE
account, which functions rather like PayPal. Some of you use it. Here is a QCode you can use with your smart phones. Try it!
Also, to receive a link to donate via Continue To Give using your smart phone SEND MESSAGE:
4827563 TO: 715-803-4772 (USA)
Some donations also come through CHASE. That works well. I don't think they take any percentage as fees.
2020 TLM Pilgrimage to the Holy Land
As for Latin…
"But if, in any layman who is indeed imbued with literature, ignorance of the Latin language, which we can truly call the 'catholic' language, indicates a certain sluggishness in his love toward the Church, how much more fitting it is that each and every cleric should be adequately practiced and skilled in that language!" - Pius XI
"Let us realize that this remark of Cicero (Brutus 37, 140) can be in a certain way referred to [young lay people]: 'It is not so much a matter of distinction to know Latin as it is disgraceful not to know it.'" - St. John Paul II
CLICK and say your daily offerings!
- Worried about Coronavirus? Feed your anxiety, and commonsense.
- A troubling, curious point in the Third Secret of Fátima
- Wherein Fr. Rutler hits for six
- ASK FATHER: The “churching” of women after childbirth and the blessing of expecting mothers
- Too often TV and film directors and designers get Catholic thing wrong, absurdly so.
- Your Good News
- Death, #KobeBryant, and You
- Your Sunday Sermon Notes: 3rd after Epiphany (TLM) & 3rd Ordinary (NO) 2020
- VIDEO: Doing something
- My View For Awhile: Staunton Edition
- 450K-500K estimated at 2020 March For Life
- Washington DC DAYS 2-3: Motus and POTUS
- Washington DC DAY 1: Goofing around, a kitchen and a quote
- My View For Awhile: To Washington DC, NON-Impeachment Edition
- A site with statistics for the growth and availability of the Traditional Latin Mass?
- 21 January St. Agnes: “Intercede and beg a return of orthodoxy, sanity and sanctity to the Roman Church!”
- OLDIE PODCAzT 127: The Eve of St. Agnes and a Bleak Midwinter
- A diocese smells the coffee: starts planning for decline of the Novus Ordo and growth of the TLM
- ASK FATHER: Glass chalices…. again?
- A few things of interest: TLM pilgrimage opp, new book, against pendulums, and Warhol the hack
- Your Sunday Sermon Notes – 2nd Sunday – 2020
- Wherein Fr. Z is moved to pray to martyred nuns, newly discovered, about something that happened today. – UPDATED
- A note of thanks. Mass for Benefactors.
- Remember #UniteTheClans ? Wherein Fr. Z rants.
- URGENT PRAYER REQUEST for a young priest diagnosed with ALS – #padresfight
- WDTPRS – 2nd Ordinary (NO) & 2nd Sunday after Epiphany (TLM): God knows our needs better than we do.
- Card. Sarah has met with Benedict XVI as the haters stir “incessant, nauseating, dishonest controversy” #BOOKGATE
- UPDATE! ASK FATHER: Use of a Catholic church for the “ordination” of woman Episcopalian “bishop”
- ASK FATHER: I discovered that the hosts used are from flour of a variety of grains. What to do?
- “Let the Jesuits come to me. With hands in the air and without algorithms.” Fr. Z says: Let the Jesuits GO TO CHINA.
Let us pray…
Grant unto thy Church, we beseech Thee, O merciful God, that She, being gathered together by the Holy Ghost, may be in no wise troubled by attack from her foes. O God, who by sin art offended and by penance pacified, mercifully regard the prayers of Thy people making supplication unto Thee,and turn away the scourges of Thine anger which we deserve for our sins. Almighty and Everlasting God, in whose Hand are the power and the government of every realm: look down upon and help the Christian people that the heathen nations who trust in the fierceness of their own might may be crushed by the power of thine Arm. Through our Lord Jesus Christ, Thy Son, who liveth and reigneth with Thee in the unity of the Holy Ghost, God, world without end. R. Amen.
Yes, Fr. Z is taking ads…
Because it matters what children read…
Be a “Zed-Head”!
I carry one of these super-strong rosaries in my spare mag pouch! The Swiss Guards have them too!
My "challenge coin" for my 25th anniversary of ordination in 2016.
Want one? I do exchanges with military and LEOs, etc. and you can make a donation.
PLEASE RESPOND. Pretty pleeeease?Loading ...
WDTPRS POLLLoading ...
“Rigid”? Pfffft. “Faithful!” No priest’s desk or kitchen is complete without one, for young, old, and priests in general.
Fr. Z’s stuff is everywhere
Help support Fr. Z’s Gospel of Life work at no cost to you. Do you need a Real Estate Agent? Calling these people is the FIRST thing you should do!
GREAT causes to support
Help Monks in Wyoming (coffee – UPDATED LINK) and Norcia (beer) and the wonderful "Soap Sisters" of Summit, NJ!
Please follow me on Twitter!
If you travel internationally, this is a super useful gizmo for your mobile internet data. I use one. If you get one through my link, I get data rewards.
Tag Archives: Archbp. Müller
There is a fear among some people with whom I converse that Pope Francis might undercut Roman curial congregations and devolve authority to regional conferences of bishops. I am all for subsidiarity. That said, some things just don’t work well … Continue reading
From Prof. Ed Peters, canonist, and his blog In The Light Of The Law – which has not an open combox. Antinomianism in high places is still antinomianism We live in pervasively antinomian times, and basic unawareness of law is all around … Continue reading
I have been thinking – with my cynical cap on – about why calls for Communion for the divorced/remarried have been coming out of Germany. You will recall that a mid-level drone came out with a statement in the Archdiocese … Continue reading
From Andrea Tornielli: The Prefect of the Congregation for the Faith, Gerhard Müller, has written a letter asking for the withdrawal and revision of the proposal to allow remarried Catholics to receive the sacraments ANDREA TORNIELLI VATICAN CITY When the … Continue reading
In tomorrow’s edition of L’Osservatore Romano there is a long essay (4000+ words) by the Prefect of the Congregation for the Doctrine of the Faith, Archbp. Müller, on the hotly-debate issue of Communion for the divorced and remarried. (I haven’t checked it … Continue reading
You, like I, have been hearing a lot these days about a Church of “the poor” and a rehabilitation of Liberation Theology. This has caused concern for some who are doctrinally coherent and orthodox and elation for liberals. The following … Continue reading
I just finished reading a new book by Paul Vallely called Pope Francis: Untying the Knots. I am glad I read it on my Kindle so that I don’t have to have it on my shelf. There are some helpful … Continue reading
A couple things popped up on the screen today. First, Pope Francis has finally named a Secretary of State: Archbishop Pietro Parolin, Apostolic Nuncio to Venezuela. He starts on 15 October 2013. Also, the Holy Father assigned Spanish-born Fr. Fernando … Continue reading
In The Bitter Pill (aka The Tablet) I spotted something sure to irritate feminists: No need for deaconesses: Müller 4 July 2013 The Prefect of the Congregation for the Doctrine of the Faith (CDF) has questioned the notion that a … Continue reading
Will this be the moment the National Schismatic Reporter crowd turns on Francis? This is new. It does NOT refer to their meeting of some months ago. From news.va: COMMUNIQUE OF THE CONGREGATION FOR THE DOCTRINE OF THE FAITH CONCERNING … Continue reading
From Vatican Insider comes this. The Prefect of the Congregation for the Doctrine of the Faith, Mgr. Gerhard Ludwig Müller, has launched a biting attack of [on?] the mood toward the Catholic Church in the U.S. and Europe, comparing it … Continue reading
Vatican Insider has something today about some Lutherans who are getting nervous about the Holy Father establishing an Ordinariate for Lutherans, along the lines of that which he established for Anglicans. “A Lutheran ordinariate? That’s a bad sign” An ordinariate … Continue reading
From the UK’s best Catholic weekly, The Catholic Herald with my emphases: Head of the CDF urges Catholics to welcome ordinariate converts Catholics in England and Wales should welcome members of the Personal Ordinariate of Our Lady of Walsingham, the new … Continue reading
My old pastor, the late Msgr. Schuler used to say that “You can go into the ditch on either side of the road, left or right. Either way, you are still in a ditch.” This has been my concern about … Continue reading