Search Fr. Z’s Blog
SHOPPING ONLINE? Please, come here first!Your use of my Amazon link is a major part of my income. It helps to pay for insurance, groceries, everything. Please remember me when shopping online. Thanks in advance. Try AmazonFresh Free Trial Shop Amazon Gold Box - New Deals. Everyday Shop Amazon Gift Cards - Instant Delivery or Free One-Day Shipping Try Prime Discounted Monthly Offering And you do need a Kindle! - HERE Kindle Unlimited Membership Plans
About this blog…
“This blog is like a fusion of the Baroque ‘salon’ with its well-tuned harpsichord around which polite society gathered for entertainment and edification and, on the other hand, a Wild West “saloon” with its out-of-tune piano and swinging doors, where everyone has a gun and something to say. Nevertheless, we try to point our discussions back to what it is to be Catholic in this increasingly difficult age, to love God, and how to get to heaven.” – Fr. Z
Coat of Arms by D Burkart
CLICK and say your daily offerings!
Do you want to show some appreciation?
Do you have a faithful Catholic website that needs competent and reliable tech support?
Fr. Z’s VOICEMAIL
Nota bene: I do not answer these numbers or this Skype address. You won't get me "live". I check for messages regularly.
020 8133 4535
YOUR RECENT COMMENTS
Books which you must have.
Don’t rely on popes, bishops and priests.
“Who is going to save our Church? Not our bishops, not our priests and religious. It is up to you, the people. You have the minds, the eyes, and the ears to save the Church. Your mission is to see that your priests act like priests, your bishops act like bishops.”
- Fulton Sheen
Therefore, ACTIVATE YOUR CONFIRMATION and get to work!
Send Snail Mail to Fr. Z
“The modern habit of doing ceremonial things unceremoniously is no proof of humility; rather it proves the offender's inability to forget himself in the rite, and his readiness to spoil for every one else the proper pleasure of ritual.”
- C.S. Lewis
This blog has to earn its keep!
PLEASE subscribe if it is useful.
That way I have steady income I can plan on, and you wind up regularly on my list of benefactors for whom I pray and for whom I periodically say Holy Mass.
For a one time donation...
I set up a
CONTINUE TO GIVE
account, which functions rather like PayPal. Some of you use it. Here is a QCode you can use with your smart phones. Try it!
Also, to receive a link to donate via Continue To Give using your smart phone SEND MESSAGE:
4827563 TO: 715-803-4772 (USA)
Some donations also come through CHASE. That works well. I don't think they take any percentage as fees.
As for Latin…
"But if, in any layman who is indeed imbued with literature, ignorance of the Latin language, which we can truly call the 'catholic' language, indicates a certain sluggishness in his love toward the Church, how much more fitting it is that each and every cleric should be adequately practiced and skilled in that language!" - Pius XI
"Let us realize that this remark of Cicero (Brutus 37, 140) can be in a certain way referred to [young lay people]: 'It is not so much a matter of distinction to know Latin as it is disgraceful not to know it.'" - St. John Paul II
- ASK FATHER: Some say @TaylorRMarshall, Tim Gordon, Archbp. Vigano are schismatic. Is this true?”
- REVIEW – TLM ORDO for 2021 by Romanitas Press
- #ASonnetADay – 39. “O! how thy worth with manners may I sing…” (At the doctor’s office)
- ACTION ITEM! Traditional Latin Mass Survey ONLINE
- 18 September – LIVE VIDEO Traditional Latin Mass – 1200h CDT (GMT/UTC -5): St. Joseph of Cupertino
- #ASonnetADay – 38. “How can my muse want subject to invent…” (And there is an “upstart crow” in the background!)
- Spiffing NEW OLD Book! A Limerickal Commentary on the Second Vatican Council
- Not all is dark in the Church. Tradition is flooding back!
- Thanks from Fr. Z and upcoming Mass for Benefactors
- Since “Black Lives Matter”, nota bene! New pro-life film released today: Divided Hearts of America
- 17 September – LIVE VIDEO Traditional Latin Mass – 1200h CDT (GMT/UTC -5): Stigmata of St. Francis
- The Ass. of Catholic Priests vape against AG Bill Barr
- 17 September – St. Robert Bellarmine – Doctor and Pot Scrubber of the Church
- September Ember Days 2020 – confusion about the true dates
- ANOTHER priest with an invalid baptism. Fathers! Review the videos of your baptism! ACTION ITEM!
- #ASonnetADay – The other “Ozymandias”! – GUEST SONNET No, not by Shelley.
- Newspaper of the Italian Bishops Conference – Avvenire – defends “Cuties”
- CQ CQ CQ: #HamRadio – International Space Station UPGRADED
- 16 September – LIVE VIDEO Traditional Latin Mass – 1200h CDT (GMT/UTC -5): Sts Cornelius and Cyprian
- Dates of the Presidential Debates and Feast days.
- #ASonnetADay – Ozymandias – GUEST SONNET by Percy Byshe Shelley
- ACTION ITEM! Seven Sisters Apostolate – Fr. Z’s group
- CQ CQ CQ #HamRadio issue: Video from NASA about “Our Next Solar Cycle”
- Card. Müller: “[I]t is “better to vote for a good Protestant than for a bad Catholic.”
- Reason #747903 for Summorum Pontificum: JESUITS! Yoga in the church SANCTUARY of St. Francis Xavier (again) in NYC
- 15 September – LIVE VIDEO Traditional Latin Mass – 1200h CDT (GMT/UTC -5): Seven Sorrows of the Blessed Virgin Mary
- 15 September: Seven Sorrows of Mary – The “Our Lady of Sorrows Project”
- #ASonnetADay – 37. “As a decrepit father takes delight…”
- Reason #987680 for Summorum Pontificum
- 14 September – LIVE VIDEO Traditional Latin Mass – 1200h CDT (GMT/UTC -5): Exaltation of the Cross
Let us pray…
Grant unto thy Church, we beseech Thee, O merciful God, that She, being gathered together by the Holy Ghost, may be in no wise troubled by attack from her foes. O God, who by sin art offended and by penance pacified, mercifully regard the prayers of Thy people making supplication unto Thee,and turn away the scourges of Thine anger which we deserve for our sins. Almighty and Everlasting God, in whose Hand are the power and the government of every realm: look down upon and help the Christian people that the heathen nations who trust in the fierceness of their own might may be crushed by the power of thine Arm. Through our Lord Jesus Christ, Thy Son, who liveth and reigneth with Thee in the unity of the Holy Ghost, God, world without end. R. Amen.
Yes, Fr. Z is taking ads…
Because it matters what children read…
Be a “Zed-Head”!
I carry one of these super-strong rosaries in my spare mag pouch! The Swiss Guards have them too!
My "challenge coin" for my 25th anniversary of ordination in 2016.
Want one? I do exchanges with military and LEOs, etc. and you can make a donation.
PLEASE RESPOND. Pretty pleeeease?Loading ...
This is really useful when travelling… and also when you aren’t and you need backup internet NOW! I use this for my DMR “Zednet” hotspot when I’m mobile. It’s a ham radio thing.
If you travel internationally, this is a super useful gizmo for your mobile internet data. I use one. If you get one through my link, I get data rewards.
Please use my links when shopping! I depend on your help.
WDTPRS POLLLoading ...
“Rigid”? Pfffft. “Faithful!” No priest’s desk or kitchen is complete without one, for young, old, and priests in general.
Fr. Z’s stuff is everywhere
Help support Fr. Z’s Gospel of Life work at no cost to you. Do you need a Real Estate Agent? Calling these people is the FIRST thing you should do!
GREAT causes to support
Tag Archives: marriage
From a reader… QUAERITUR: I have a question about a marriage situation (not mine). If a marriage was valid, is it enough to resolve the state of sin of the re-“married” party(s) to simply abstain from sex without leaving the “second spouse?” Especially … Continue reading
From a reader… QUAERITUR: It has been over 20 years since I’ve attended a marriage in the OF between two Catholics that has had a Nuptial Mass. Why doesn’t the Church require that if two Catholics are getting married, they … Continue reading
From a reader… QUAERITUR: Is it permissible to attend an SSPX wedding? I thought that the couple (or priest) would first need to request permission from the local bishop and then also have a diocesan priest at the wedding, but … Continue reading
From a priest… QUAERITUR: A devout Catholic couple would like to get married using the EF vows (in English), but would like to have an Ordinary Form Latin Mass. Could I do their vows in the EF outside of Mass, … Continue reading
One of the figures who emerged from the shadows through the Lettergate scandal, is German liberal (wrong) theologian Peter Hünermann. Benedict XVI had a strong negative reaction to finding him among the writers of the series that was intended to bolster … Continue reading
PODCAzT 160: Bishops of Kazakhstan issue “Profession of the immutable truths about sacramental marriage” AUDIO
As the controversy erupted at the irruption of Amoris laetitia, I opined that, even though the document could be read in a properly orthodox way, those who were inclined not to support the Church’s teaching would say it meant something innovative … Continue reading
From a reader… QUAERITUR: A cousin of mine was baptised in the Catholic Church as an infant to fulfill the wishes of persistent grandparents. But was in no way raised in the Church and never recieved any other sacraments – … Continue reading
From a reader… QUAERITUR: I have a quick question so I’ll keep this message short. Knowing several Catholics in my childrens’ Catholic school who have been divorced and remarried after getting an annulment, I wonder how to explain it all … Continue reading
You have to pay attention to language, especially in the hands of libs. They twist and they turn. They set you up with implicit premises which you might breeze right by. They lead you astray and into the dark places … Continue reading
From a Protestant clergyman reader… QUAERITUR: Thank you for your blog. Your courage and clarity motivate me. I am a Protestant clergy and am struggling with whether or not I should even morally be signing marriage licenses anymore. I had … Continue reading
I’m tired of the whine from certain homosexualists and their agenda, to the detriment of concerns of people to adhere to God’s plan and nature and many other serious concerns which we face as a Church and society. I was … Continue reading
From a reader: I (think) I have a tough question (“hagan lío”?): Can a man and a woman, who validly embraced the Sacrament of Marriage 10 years ago and who STILL WANT to carry on living as husband and wife … Continue reading
There is a long standing political tool employed to eliminate opposition which is associated with the past, or a defeated regime. You can see evidence of this tool all around Rome, in monuments both ancient and recent. It is called damnatio memoriae… … Continue reading
From a reader… QUAERITUR: I have a question regarding the situation of two Catholics being married by an unapproved minister. Would any law prevent the couple from contacting the parish and explaining what they want to do, then following the course … Continue reading
From a reader… I recently read your post regarding the recently-announced changes to the validity of marriages witnessed by SSPX priests, and I am confused. How does this change anything? Doesn’t Canon 1108 already give bishops and pastors the power … Continue reading