About this blog…
“This blog is like a fusion of the Baroque ‘salon’ with its well-tuned harpsichord around which polite society gathered for entertainment and edification and, on the other hand, a Wild West “saloon” with its out-of-tune piano and swinging doors, where everyone has a gun and something to say. Nevertheless, we try to point our discussions back to what it is to be Catholic in this increasingly difficult age, to love God, and how to get to heaven.” – Fr. Z
Coat of Arms by D Burkart
Search Fr. Z’s Blog
SHOPPING ONLINE? Please, come here first!
Your use of my Amazon link is a major part of my income. It helps to pay for insurance, groceries, everything. Please remember me when shopping online. Thanks in advance.
Try AmazonFresh Free Trial
Shop Amazon Gold Box - New Deals. Everyday
Shop Amazon Gift Cards - Instant Delivery or Free One-Day Shipping
Try Prime Discounted Monthly Offering
And you do need a Kindle! - HERE
Kindle Unlimited Membership Plans
Do you want to show some appreciation?
YOUR RECENT COMMENTS
- Kenneth Wolfe: This is a terrific, user-based site for TLM times: http://wik imissa.mis safr.odns. fr/yeswiki /?ListeEta tsUnis Of course, it’s only as updated as users make it.
- codycarver: The COALITION IN SUPPORT OF ECCLESIA DEI directory shows it being updated as of Jan 10 2020. http://www .ecclesiad ei.org/mas ses.cfm
- Bev: If there was a directory that included statistics hosted on the wdtprs.com website, that would drive even more traffic to the site. Just sayingR 30;
- Kate: I found that Traditio had numerous mistakes for the Masses in our generality … wrong addresses, missing Masses, etc. Yet, it shows the Masses of groups that are not in full commun...
- majuscule: Several months ago I heard about the site that Servant links to. When I checked it out, our Mass was not listed. So I logged in and added the informatio n. So I think there may be other...
- David L Alexander: Until a couple of years ago (when it stopped being updated), the Ecclesia Dei Coalition would show a bar chart of the number of canonical parishes celebratin g the Traditiona l...
- HFL: Father Z, I’ve not found a site with comprehens ive or well-docum ented statistics (despite numerous searches), but a good source for raw material on churches offering the TLM is Tradi...
- Semper Gumby: crownvic: Interestin g story, and God bless that priest. Brick by brick indeed. That recalls this: https://wd tprs.com/2 019/08/tha t-tragic-p ortland-pa rish-the-m istreatmen t-of-...
- Servant: Father, Here is one I’ve bookmarked : https://ww w.latinmas sdir.org/ I’ve checked my diocesan parish, which has replaced six weekly Novus Ordo masses with TLMs in the last...
- Semper Gumby: Interestin g post, thanks Fr. Z. As several commenters note, Andy Warhol led a problemati c life. He is quoted as saying “Art is what you can get away with.̶ 1; No, itR...
- Occidite: Rev. & Dear Father, Respectful ly, I don’ t understand your critique of this event. This was organized in Europe, by Europeans. Mr. Matt and Mr. Westen were invited *by the...
- Fr Martin Fox: We celebrated our patron St. Remigius and so had different readings. I told the story of St. Remy’ ;s encounter with the conquering Franks, and his decision to develop a good...
- Fr_Sotelo: Semper Gumby, I’m papalatrou s, revolution ary, theocratic , viewing the Constituti on as irrelevant , and now “wea ponizing 8221; the term sede? I don’ t think you...
- JustaSinner: Just wondering when the Jesuits will start using environmen tally friendly recycled paper cups..just askin̵ 7;!
- scoot: Fr Z, you’ ve mentioned on a couple occasions the idea of a cross pollinatio n between charismati c evangelica ls and traditiona lly minded Catholics. It struck me as unusual at first...
- Liz: One thing I thought of: as young seminarian s are exposed to the Old Mass, I believe that they will want it. I can’ t believe how much more traditiona l some seminaries are becomi...
- JonPatrick: I suspect that when Christendo m dies out in Western Europe and the Americas it will be reborn from Eastern Europe Africa and perhaps Asia, much like the way it was reborn in Europe...
- Markus: As a gold/silve rsmith that has been commission ed to make chalices, at times over the last 48 years, one can observe what is technicall y wrong with glass “cha lices.R 21; Observe...
- iPadre: Although there are many clouds obscuring the sun today, the future looks bright. Thanks to Pope Benedict XVI for Summorum Pontificum .
- Suburbanbanshee: Just saw a documentar y on Bl. Ukon Takayama. And not to be mean about Japanese Catholics, and it was very nice pottery that was probably expensive& #8230; But a ciborium and...
- Kerry: “The error that led to the abolition of Latin was neoscholas tic and Cartesian in nature—nam ely, the belief that the content of the Catholic Faith is not embodied or incarnate but...
- crownvic: Back a few years when I was a business manager at an unnamed Midwestern parish, Fr. Youngtrad began a process of replacing the glass chalice with a gold one. After months of catechizin g...
- Semper Gumby: HvonBlumen thal: The two “sed e” references by that particular commenter can be ignored. Weaponizin g random ad hominem terms and installing them in an unguided deliv...
- HvonBlumenthal: I disagree with MacCheese: we are kidding ourselves if we think it is about anything other than the Mass. Where the traditiona l Mass is said, there you find dedicated priests who...
- MacCheese: I agree for the most part Father, the OF attendance will continue to decline, so too will the OF priests but this decline will be in lockstep with this parish attendance . This will be...
Fr. Z’s VOICEMAIL
Nota bene: I do not answer these numbers or this Skype address. You won't get me "live". I check for messages regularly.
020 8133 4535
Don’t rely on popes, bishops and priests.
“Who is going to save our Church? Not our bishops, not our priests and religious. It is up to you, the people. You have the minds, the eyes, and the ears to save the Church. Your mission is to see that your priests act like priests, your bishops act like bishops.”
- Fulton Sheen
Therefore, ACTIVATE YOUR CONFIRMATION and get to work!
Send Snail Mail to Fr. Z
“The modern habit of doing ceremonial things unceremoniously is no proof of humility; rather it proves the offender's inability to forget himself in the rite, and his readiness to spoil for every one else the proper pleasure of ritual.”
- C.S. Lewis
This blog has to earn its keep!
PLEASE subscribe if it is useful.
That way I have steady income I can plan on, and you wind up regularly on my list of benefactors for whom I pray and for whom I periodically say Holy Mass.
For a one time donation...
I set up a
CONTINUE TO GIVE
account, which functions rather like PayPal. Some of you use it. Here is a QCode you can use with your smart phones. Try it!
Also, to receive a link to donate via Continue To Give using your smart phone SEND MESSAGE:
4827563 TO: 715-803-4772 (USA)
Some donations also come through CHASE. That works well. I don't think they take any percentage as fees.
2020 TLM Pilgrimage to the Holy Land
As for Latin…
"But if, in any layman who is indeed imbued with literature, ignorance of the Latin language, which we can truly call the 'catholic' language, indicates a certain sluggishness in his love toward the Church, how much more fitting it is that each and every cleric should be adequately practiced and skilled in that language!" - Pius XI
"Let us realize that this remark of Cicero (Brutus 37, 140) can be in a certain way referred to [young lay people]: 'It is not so much a matter of distinction to know Latin as it is disgraceful not to know it.'" - St. John Paul II
CLICK and say your daily offerings!
- A site with statistics for the growth and availability of the Traditional Latin Mass?
- 21 January St. Agnes: “Intercede and beg a return of orthodoxy, sanity and sanctity to the Roman Church!”
- OLDIE PODCAzT 127: The Eve of St. Agnes and a Bleak Midwinter
- A diocese smells the coffee: starts planning for decline of the Novus Ordo and growth of the TLM
- ASK FATHER: Glass chalices…. again?
- A few things of interest: TLM pilgrimage opp, new book, against pendulums, and Warhol the hack
- Your Sunday Sermon Notes – 2nd Sunday – 2020
- Wherein Fr. Z is moved to pray to martyred nuns, newly discovered, about something that happened today. – UPDATED
- A note of thanks. Mass for Benefactors.
- Remember #UniteTheClans ? Wherein Fr. Z rants.
- URGENT PRAYER REQUEST for a young priest diagnosed with ALS – #padresfight
- WDTPRS – 2nd Ordinary (NO) & 2nd Sunday after Epiphany (TLM): God knows our needs better than we do.
- Card. Sarah has met with Benedict XVI as the haters stir “incessant, nauseating, dishonest controversy” #BOOKGATE
- UPDATE! ASK FATHER: Use of a Catholic church for the “ordination” of woman Episcopalian “bishop”
- ASK FATHER: I discovered that the hosts used are from flour of a variety of grains. What to do?
- “Let the Jesuits come to me. With hands in the air and without algorithms.” Fr. Z says: Let the Jesuits GO TO CHINA.
- CQ CQ CQ: Ham Radio Thursday – ZedNet reminder and a throat tightener
- Some stuff from my mail
- My View For Awhile: north
- More about #BOOKGATE and a Litany Against Modernists
- UPDATE – HILARITY ENSUES- Lib reactions to the new book from Card. Sarah and Benedict XVI
- To save the world, we have to save the liturgy. Wherein Fr. Z rants.
- Summary of FACTS about the controversial new book by BOTH Card. Sarah and Benedict XVI
- 14 January – Festum Asinorum #FeastoftheAss Day! (No, it’s not a special Jesuit holiday.)
- Letter from Card. Sarah in which he forgives his persecutors
- “With all the priests, we pray: Save us, Lord, we perish!” A snippet from the new Benedict/Sarah book
- FIRST REMARKS about the new book by Card. Sarah and Benedict XVI
- Your Sunday Sermon Notes – Holy Family/Baptism – 2020 – Fr. Z rants about word accents and microphones
- ASK FATHER: Why can’t I confess my sins to God and not the priest?
- WDTPRS – Holy Family (1962MR): Extend your family bond around someone you know who has no one else
Let us pray…
Grant unto thy Church, we beseech Thee, O merciful God, that She, being gathered together by the Holy Ghost, may be in no wise troubled by attack from her foes. O God, who by sin art offended and by penance pacified, mercifully regard the prayers of Thy people making supplication unto Thee,and turn away the scourges of Thine anger which we deserve for our sins. Almighty and Everlasting God, in whose Hand are the power and the government of every realm: look down upon and help the Christian people that the heathen nations who trust in the fierceness of their own might may be crushed by the power of thine Arm. Through our Lord Jesus Christ, Thy Son, who liveth and reigneth with Thee in the unity of the Holy Ghost, God, world without end. R. Amen.
Yes, Fr. Z is taking ads…
Because it matters what children read…
Be a “Zed-Head”!
I carry one of these super-strong rosaries in my spare mag pouch! The Swiss Guards have them too!
My "challenge coin" for my 25th anniversary of ordination in 2016.
Want one? I do exchanges with military and LEOs, etc. and you can make a donation.
PLEASE RESPOND. Pretty pleeeease?Loading ...
WDTPRS POLLLoading ...
“Rigid”? Pfffft. “Faithful!” No priest’s desk or kitchen is complete without one, for young, old, and priests in general.
Fr. Z’s stuff is everywhere
Help support Fr. Z’s Gospel of Life work at no cost to you. Do you need a Real Estate Agent? Calling these people is the FIRST thing you should do!
GREAT causes to support
Help Monks in Wyoming (coffee – UPDATED LINK) and Norcia (beer) and the wonderful "Soap Sisters" of Summit, NJ!
Please follow me on Twitter!
If you travel internationally, this is a super useful gizmo for your mobile internet data. I use one. If you get one through my link, I get data rewards.
Tag Archives: marriage
From a reader… QUAERITUR: I have a question about a marriage situation (not mine). If a marriage was valid, is it enough to resolve the state of sin of the re-“married” party(s) to simply abstain from sex without leaving the “second spouse?” Especially … Continue reading
From a reader… QUAERITUR: It has been over 20 years since I’ve attended a marriage in the OF between two Catholics that has had a Nuptial Mass. Why doesn’t the Church require that if two Catholics are getting married, they … Continue reading
From a reader… QUAERITUR: Is it permissible to attend an SSPX wedding? I thought that the couple (or priest) would first need to request permission from the local bishop and then also have a diocesan priest at the wedding, but … Continue reading
From a priest… QUAERITUR: A devout Catholic couple would like to get married using the EF vows (in English), but would like to have an Ordinary Form Latin Mass. Could I do their vows in the EF outside of Mass, … Continue reading
One of the figures who emerged from the shadows through the Lettergate scandal, is German liberal (wrong) theologian Peter Hünermann. Benedict XVI had a strong negative reaction to finding him among the writers of the series that was intended to bolster … Continue reading
PODCAzT 160: Bishops of Kazakhstan issue “Profession of the immutable truths about sacramental marriage” AUDIO
As the controversy erupted at the irruption of Amoris laetitia, I opined that, even though the document could be read in a properly orthodox way, those who were inclined not to support the Church’s teaching would say it meant something innovative … Continue reading
From a reader… QUAERITUR: A cousin of mine was baptised in the Catholic Church as an infant to fulfill the wishes of persistent grandparents. But was in no way raised in the Church and never recieved any other sacraments – … Continue reading
From a reader… QUAERITUR: I have a quick question so I’ll keep this message short. Knowing several Catholics in my childrens’ Catholic school who have been divorced and remarried after getting an annulment, I wonder how to explain it all … Continue reading
You have to pay attention to language, especially in the hands of libs. They twist and they turn. They set you up with implicit premises which you might breeze right by. They lead you astray and into the dark places … Continue reading
From a Protestant clergyman reader… QUAERITUR: Thank you for your blog. Your courage and clarity motivate me. I am a Protestant clergy and am struggling with whether or not I should even morally be signing marriage licenses anymore. I had … Continue reading
I’m tired of the whine from certain homosexualists and their agenda, to the detriment of concerns of people to adhere to God’s plan and nature and many other serious concerns which we face as a Church and society. I was … Continue reading
From a reader: I (think) I have a tough question (“hagan lío”?): Can a man and a woman, who validly embraced the Sacrament of Marriage 10 years ago and who STILL WANT to carry on living as husband and wife … Continue reading
There is a long standing political tool employed to eliminate opposition which is associated with the past, or a defeated regime. You can see evidence of this tool all around Rome, in monuments both ancient and recent. It is called damnatio memoriae… … Continue reading
From a reader… QUAERITUR: I have a question regarding the situation of two Catholics being married by an unapproved minister. Would any law prevent the couple from contacting the parish and explaining what they want to do, then following the course … Continue reading
From a reader… I recently read your post regarding the recently-announced changes to the validity of marriages witnessed by SSPX priests, and I am confused. How does this change anything? Doesn’t Canon 1108 already give bishops and pastors the power … Continue reading