Search Fr. Z’s Blog
SHOPPING ONLINE? Please, come here first!
Your use of my Amazon link is a major part of my income. It helps to pay for insurance, groceries, everything. Please remember me when shopping online. Thanks in advance.
Try AmazonFresh Free Trial
Shop Amazon Gold Box - New Deals. Everyday
Shop Amazon Gift Cards - Instant Delivery or Free One-Day Shipping
Try Prime Discounted Monthly Offering
And you do need a Kindle! - HERE
Kindle Unlimited Membership Plans
About this blog…
“This blog is like a fusion of the Baroque ‘salon’ with its well-tuned harpsichord around which polite society gathered for entertainment and edification and, on the other hand, a Wild West “saloon” with its out-of-tune piano and swinging doors, where everyone has a gun and something to say. Nevertheless, we try to point our discussions back to what it is to be Catholic in this increasingly difficult age, to love God, and how to get to heaven.” – Fr. Z
Coat of Arms by D Burkart
CLICK and say your daily offerings!
Do you want to show some appreciation?
Do you have a faithful Catholic website that needs competent and reliable tech support?
YOUR RECENT COMMENTS
- grateful: In Paradisum – Requiem – Faure https://ww w.youtube. com/watch? v=rvYt-QA9 vT0
- Mariana2: In paradisum deducant te Angeli.
- JustaSinner: Another what if thought experiment … What if Satanists steal a Host and are intending to use it in a black perversion of the Holy Mass… ;what can a Catholic in good consci...
- monstrance: johnr , Wasilla would make sense – But no, the school was in the middle of Anchorage.
- OssaSola: Oh dear! I am at least glad that his brother could be with him.
- GHP: As the old phrase goes when questioned : “Why do you carry a gun?” “Because a cop is too heavy.” Or: “Whe n seconds matter the police are minutes away.̶ 1;
- Gerard Plourde: My only concern (and this is coming from me wearing my attorney hat) would be the possibilit y of being crosswise with the parish’s or diocese’s liability insurer in the event a...
- xavier: Father, Sigh. What is about guns that freaks out these beatos? (aka people who view life as some kind of angelic outlook) Would they react similarly if it was swords and other assor...
- Suburbanbanshee: Amen.
- Joy1985: Eternal rest grant unto him O Lord and let perpetual light shine upon him.
- philosophicallyfrank: Ah! St. Frances of Rome, I grew-up in the parish in Cicero, Il. From 1943 thru 1952 I went to St. Frances of Rome elementary school (K – 8). I was in the choir for 5 of...
- Fr. John Zuhlsdorf: Josephus Corvus says: they could be coming for your fish fry next As a transplant here, my impression is that they would have to pry their fish fries from their cold, dead...
- Josephus Corvus: [I’ll bet a steady diet of Wisconsin parish fish fries has killed more people than guns sold in that gun show.] Father, please don’ t give our illustriou s leadership in...
- Semper Gumby: [I’ll bet a steady diet of Wisconsin parish fish fries has killed more people than guns sold in that gun show.] *chuckle* Deo gratias for that Catholic parish and the Second Amendme...
- Semper Gumby: “Eve n a free-think ing deist asserted that humanity has an “inalienab le right to life” given by the Creator. 8221; A solid point by Bishop Hying. Excellent quote and book by...
- Texdon: I don’ t live in the diocese of Madison but I am beginning to like Bishop Donald Hying the more I read about him. Perhaps having the gun show in an unused Catholic school in a small...
- Fr_Sotelo: It’s unfair to attack the diocese or the bishop. They are allowing an outside group to have the gun show on Church property. Many parishes have allowed the hall or former parish...
- ZestyLemonZach: I bet my life savings that this guy doesn̵ 7;t see any issue with the message being sent over “LGB T” masses.
- johnr: I think a friend of mine up in Alaska has talked about what @monstranc e mentioned. Wasilla, maybe?
- Gab: Thank you Father Z for that clear and edifying homily. Those last couple of sentences make for a good prayer.
- TonyO: Good for Bishop Hying to recognize a crank when he sees one. When is Wysocki going to protest to the bishops about the annual 3 Days of Darkness convention , in LA ? That gathering does far...
- Fr. John Zuhlsdorf: Semper Gumby: You are very welcome!
- Semper Gumby: Thank you Fr. Z.
- monstrance: A Catholic school in Alaska had a gun show every year as a fundraiser . Hope they still do —- I was able to acquire a Ruger Bearcat ( 22 revolver ) at one of their shows. Freedom of...
- MitisVis: Wonder what he would say about Wyoming Catholic College 230; where cell phones are banned but guns are allowed. Apparently no one can be trusted to act accordingl y or maturely unless...
Fr. Z’s VOICEMAIL
Nota bene: I do not answer these numbers or this Skype address. You won't get me "live". I check for messages regularly.
020 8133 4535
Books which you must have.
Don’t rely on popes, bishops and priests.
“Who is going to save our Church? Not our bishops, not our priests and religious. It is up to you, the people. You have the minds, the eyes, and the ears to save the Church. Your mission is to see that your priests act like priests, your bishops act like bishops.”
- Fulton Sheen
Therefore, ACTIVATE YOUR CONFIRMATION and get to work!
Send Snail Mail to Fr. Z
“The modern habit of doing ceremonial things unceremoniously is no proof of humility; rather it proves the offender's inability to forget himself in the rite, and his readiness to spoil for every one else the proper pleasure of ritual.”
- C.S. Lewis
This blog has to earn its keep!
PLEASE subscribe if it is useful.
That way I have steady income I can plan on, and you wind up regularly on my list of benefactors for whom I pray and for whom I periodically say Holy Mass.
For a one time donation...
I set up a
CONTINUE TO GIVE
account, which functions rather like PayPal. Some of you use it. Here is a QCode you can use with your smart phones. Try it!
Also, to receive a link to donate via Continue To Give using your smart phone SEND MESSAGE:
4827563 TO: 715-803-4772 (USA)
Some donations also come through CHASE. That works well. I don't think they take any percentage as fees.
I was at this conference last year. IT IS ON FOR THIS YEAR!
As for Latin…
"But if, in any layman who is indeed imbued with literature, ignorance of the Latin language, which we can truly call the 'catholic' language, indicates a certain sluggishness in his love toward the Church, how much more fitting it is that each and every cleric should be adequately practiced and skilled in that language!" - Pius XI
"Let us realize that this remark of Cicero (Brutus 37, 140) can be in a certain way referred to [young lay people]: 'It is not so much a matter of distinction to know Latin as it is disgraceful not to know it.'" - St. John Paul II
- The lunacy is spreading: Northern Ontario
- ASK FATHER: Should we ransom Hosts that have been taken so they are not desecrated? At what cost?
- R.I.P. Msgr Georg Ratzinger
- 1 July – Traditional Latin Mass – Most Precious Blood – LIVE VIDEO: 1200h CDT (GMT/UTC -5)
- Fishwrap’s case of the vapors over a annual, rural gun show hosted in an unused Catholic school
- 30 June – Traditional Latin Mass – Commemoration of St. Paul – LIVE VIDEO: 1200h CDT (GMT/UTC -5)
- NEW ADDITIONS TO THE FAMILY! Three more relics have arrived. Fr. Z tells a story.
- Searching for a specific reader who sent something from my wishlist
- SCOTUS decision on Louisiana abortion clinic law.
- 29 June – Traditional Latin Mass – Sts. Peter and Paul, Apostles – LIVE VIDEO: 1200h CDT (GMT/UTC -5)
- Your Sunday Sermon notes – 4th Sunday after Pentecost (13th Ordinary) 2020
- CQ CQ CQ – #HamRadio: Fun with Morse
- Concerning statues
- Archbp. Cordilone recites the Exorcism where a statue of St. Junipero Serra was town down. OORAH!
- First Blessings by new priests. Indulgenced? NO! Interesting Latin texts. And Fr. Z rants.
- 27 June – Traditional Latin Mass – Our Lady of Perpetual Help – LIVE VIDEO: 1200h CDT (GMT/UTC -5)
- COVID-1984 UPDATE: Doctors say Communion on the tongue while kneeling is safer than Communion on the hand
- WDTPRS – 4th Sunday after Pentecost: “O Captain, my Captain!”
- 26 June – Traditional Latin Mass – Sts. John & Paul, Martyrs – LIVE VIDEO: 1200h CDT (GMT/UTC -5)
- BOOK: The Next Pope: The Leading Cardinal Candidates by Edward Pentin
- ASK FATHER: Can a Roman Catholic in good conscience date a Sedevacantist?
- ASK FATHER: What to do with old occult objects after repentance and confession?
- ASK FATHER: Books on the history of the traditional Roman Rite
- YOUR URGENT PRAYER REQUESTS
- ASK FATHER: Ocular Communion
- 25 June – Traditional Latin Mass – In Time of Pandemic – LIVE VIDEO: 1200h CDT (GMT/UTC -5)
- Will Black Lives Matter now turn on Big Business Abortion?
- Three Francis appointed Cardinals offer their hats and rings to women. Fr. Z responds.
- OLDIE PODCAzT 36: St. Augustine on John the Baptist; The Vespers hymn “Ut queant laxis”
- Fr. Z’s Kitchen: Of Roman snails and of medieval cherries
Let us pray…
Grant unto thy Church, we beseech Thee, O merciful God, that She, being gathered together by the Holy Ghost, may be in no wise troubled by attack from her foes. O God, who by sin art offended and by penance pacified, mercifully regard the prayers of Thy people making supplication unto Thee,and turn away the scourges of Thine anger which we deserve for our sins. Almighty and Everlasting God, in whose Hand are the power and the government of every realm: look down upon and help the Christian people that the heathen nations who trust in the fierceness of their own might may be crushed by the power of thine Arm. Through our Lord Jesus Christ, Thy Son, who liveth and reigneth with Thee in the unity of the Holy Ghost, God, world without end. R. Amen.
Yes, Fr. Z is taking ads…
Because it matters what children read…
Be a “Zed-Head”!
I carry one of these super-strong rosaries in my spare mag pouch! The Swiss Guards have them too!
My "challenge coin" for my 25th anniversary of ordination in 2016.
Want one? I do exchanges with military and LEOs, etc. and you can make a donation.
PLEASE RESPOND. Pretty pleeeease?Loading ...
This is really useful when travelling… and also when you aren’t and you need backup internet NOW! I use this for my DMR “Zednet” hotspot when I’m mobile. It’s a ham radio thing.
If you travel internationally, this is a super useful gizmo for your mobile internet data. I use one. If you get one through my link, I get data rewards.
Please use my links when shopping! I depend on your help.
WDTPRS POLLLoading ...
“Rigid”? Pfffft. “Faithful!” No priest’s desk or kitchen is complete without one, for young, old, and priests in general.
Fr. Z’s stuff is everywhere
Help support Fr. Z’s Gospel of Life work at no cost to you. Do you need a Real Estate Agent? Calling these people is the FIRST thing you should do!
GREAT causes to support
Tag Archives: marriage
From a reader… QUAERITUR: I have a question about a marriage situation (not mine). If a marriage was valid, is it enough to resolve the state of sin of the re-“married” party(s) to simply abstain from sex without leaving the “second spouse?” Especially … Continue reading
From a reader… QUAERITUR: It has been over 20 years since I’ve attended a marriage in the OF between two Catholics that has had a Nuptial Mass. Why doesn’t the Church require that if two Catholics are getting married, they … Continue reading
From a reader… QUAERITUR: Is it permissible to attend an SSPX wedding? I thought that the couple (or priest) would first need to request permission from the local bishop and then also have a diocesan priest at the wedding, but … Continue reading
From a priest… QUAERITUR: A devout Catholic couple would like to get married using the EF vows (in English), but would like to have an Ordinary Form Latin Mass. Could I do their vows in the EF outside of Mass, … Continue reading
One of the figures who emerged from the shadows through the Lettergate scandal, is German liberal (wrong) theologian Peter Hünermann. Benedict XVI had a strong negative reaction to finding him among the writers of the series that was intended to bolster … Continue reading
PODCAzT 160: Bishops of Kazakhstan issue “Profession of the immutable truths about sacramental marriage” AUDIO
As the controversy erupted at the irruption of Amoris laetitia, I opined that, even though the document could be read in a properly orthodox way, those who were inclined not to support the Church’s teaching would say it meant something innovative … Continue reading
From a reader… QUAERITUR: A cousin of mine was baptised in the Catholic Church as an infant to fulfill the wishes of persistent grandparents. But was in no way raised in the Church and never recieved any other sacraments – … Continue reading
From a reader… QUAERITUR: I have a quick question so I’ll keep this message short. Knowing several Catholics in my childrens’ Catholic school who have been divorced and remarried after getting an annulment, I wonder how to explain it all … Continue reading
You have to pay attention to language, especially in the hands of libs. They twist and they turn. They set you up with implicit premises which you might breeze right by. They lead you astray and into the dark places … Continue reading
From a Protestant clergyman reader… QUAERITUR: Thank you for your blog. Your courage and clarity motivate me. I am a Protestant clergy and am struggling with whether or not I should even morally be signing marriage licenses anymore. I had … Continue reading
I’m tired of the whine from certain homosexualists and their agenda, to the detriment of concerns of people to adhere to God’s plan and nature and many other serious concerns which we face as a Church and society. I was … Continue reading
From a reader: I (think) I have a tough question (“hagan lío”?): Can a man and a woman, who validly embraced the Sacrament of Marriage 10 years ago and who STILL WANT to carry on living as husband and wife … Continue reading
There is a long standing political tool employed to eliminate opposition which is associated with the past, or a defeated regime. You can see evidence of this tool all around Rome, in monuments both ancient and recent. It is called damnatio memoriae… … Continue reading
From a reader… QUAERITUR: I have a question regarding the situation of two Catholics being married by an unapproved minister. Would any law prevent the couple from contacting the parish and explaining what they want to do, then following the course … Continue reading
From a reader… I recently read your post regarding the recently-announced changes to the validity of marriages witnessed by SSPX priests, and I am confused. How does this change anything? Doesn’t Canon 1108 already give bishops and pastors the power … Continue reading