Search Fr. Z’s Blog
SHOPPING ONLINE? Please, come here first!
There are a LOT of discounts right now. Remember me when shopping. Just click the link below. Once you're in, you're good to shop.
Try AmazonFresh Free Trial
Shop Amazon Gold Box - New Deals. Everyday
Shop Amazon Gift Cards - Instant Delivery or Free One-Day Shipping
Try Prime Discounted Monthly Offering
And you do need a Kindle! - HERE
Kindle Unlimited Membership Plans
About this blog…
“This blog is like a fusion of the Baroque ‘salon’ with its well-tuned harpsichord around which polite society gathered for entertainment and edification and, on the other hand, a Wild West “saloon” with its out-of-tune piano and swinging doors, where everyone has a gun and something to say. Nevertheless, we try to point our discussions back to what it is to be Catholic in this increasingly difficult age, to love God, and how to get to heaven.” – Fr. Z
Coat of Arms by D Burkart
Do you want to show some appreciation?
Don’t rely on popes, bishops and priests.
“Who is going to save our Church? Not our bishops, not our priests and religious. It is up to you, the people. You have the minds, the eyes, and the ears to save the Church. Your mission is to see that your priests act like priests, your bishops act like bishops.”
- Fulton Sheen
Therefore, ACTIVATE YOUR CONFIRMATION and get to work!
Send Snail Mail to Fr. Z
Beautiful, heirloom quality Rosaries
Fr. Z’s Blog is a Founding Member of…
“The modern habit of doing ceremonial things unceremoniously is no proof of humility; rather it proves the offender's inability to forget himself in the rite, and his readiness to spoil for every one else the proper pleasure of ritual.”
- C.S. Lewis
This blog has to earn its keep!
PLEASE subscribe if it is useful.
That way I have steady income I can plan on, and you wind up regularly on my list of benefactors for whom I pray and for whom I periodically say Holy Mass.
For a one time donation...
I set up a
CONTINUE TO GIVE
account, which functions rather like PayPal. Some of you use it. Here is a QCode you can use with your smart phones. Try it!
Also, to receive a link to donate via Continue To Give using your smart phone SEND MESSAGE:
4827563 TO: 715-803-4772 (USA)
Some donations also come through CHASE. That works well. I don't think they take any percentage as fees.
2020 TLM Pilgrimage to the Holy Land
YOUR RECENT COMMENTS
- Ms. M-S: Thank you, Fr. Z!
- grateful: Guess which song I now have stuck in my head :-)
- Mariana2: Thanks, Father!
- excalibur: • https://th inkamerica na.com/ken tucky-judg e-accused- of-using-h er-chamber s-for-gett ing-drunk- and-having -threesome s/ • https://ny post.com/2 019/12/10/ teachers-a ide-bus...
- FromVicBC: The Real Story by Edward Sri – Dr. Sri describes the old testament as a collection of stories about the rise and fall of the Israelites over the centuries. I believe he said the...
- mo7: The Calabrese side called it sauce, the Barese side called it gravy. The head of the household demanded (there is no way to soften this word) his motherR 17;s cuisine, so mom capitulate d...
- excalibur: Sauce, of course. Though not of Italian extraction I lived among many Italian-Am ericans. When my late mother was young an Italian immigrant couple rented an apartment in her parent&...
- Fr. John Zuhlsdorf: I am reminded of…
- Rob83: I have never heard it called anything but sauce around here. The one side of the family is Sicilian, and “sau ce” has traditiona lly been served much as it’s pictu...
- TRW: Growing up in southern New York State I never heard it called anything other than sauce. Pronounced ” Tuhmayta Saws” ;. That veritable sea of extra sauce is for the copious amounts...
- Benedict Joseph: Sauce! A native of the Italian and Irish ghettos of northern New Jersey I have NEVER heard an Italian refer to sauce as gravy.
- karmato: EXACTLY Award this lady a star!
- Semper Gumby: Kent Wendler wrote: “The implicatio n here in this context is that these allegedly human beings are actually behaving like beasts, and beasts do not and cannot maintain a...
- catholicjen: @TonyO “I don’t see any way it can have any other effect than accelerati ng the decline. Some of the social decline comes directly or indirectly from the MERE lack of childr...
- Suburbanbanshee: Re: authentic, remember that a lot of ethnic American cuisines are closer to Victorian or pre-Victor ian cooking styles in whatever region that immigrants came from, than it is to...
- Charivari Rob: Oh, dear, you went THERE. The “Sau ce or Gravy̶ 1; there. … BLOGGER TOUCHES THIRD RAIL – FILM AT 11!
- mpsguard: I forgot to mention. If you don’ t get heartburn its a sauce. If you get heartburn, it’s a gravy.
- JustaSinner: Depends 230;was it prepared with meat juices? If not, no gravy.
- JamesA: I learn something on this blog every single day ! Full disclosure , I am about as Italian as Liz Warren is Native American, so I don’ t have a dog in this fight. I never knew that...
- mpsguard: My grandmothe r from Ceprano called it gravy. My grandmothe r from Sicily called it sauce. The differenti ator is the Sunday Gravy had sausage, meatballs, chicken breast, and bracio...
- The Masked Chicken: As much as I would like to agree with Unwin̵ 7;s conclusion s and as much as Natural Law suggests the same conclusion s, neverthele ss, one has to examine the research as as...
- Maria G: In our Sicilian household it’s called Sugo.
- Fr_Sotelo: Tara Tremuit, I did not mock anyone. If you read my post, what I stated was that this question, about whether Benedict resigned invalidly (on purpose), was “a useless questio...
- CasaSanBruno: On the North Side of Chicago, it’s sauce. On the South Side, gravy. So, sauce it is.
- bobbortolin: My Sicilian grandmothe r always called it “Sug o” which translates to gravy.
As for Latin…
"But if, in any layman who is indeed imbued with literature, ignorance of the Latin language, which we can truly call the 'catholic' language, indicates a certain sluggishness in his love toward the Church, how much more fitting it is that each and every cleric should be adequately practiced and skilled in that language!" - Pius XI
"Let us realize that this remark of Cicero (Brutus 37, 140) can be in a certain way referred to [young lay people]: 'It is not so much a matter of distinction to know Latin as it is disgraceful not to know it.'" - St. John Paul II
CLICK and say your daily offerings!
- ADVENTCAzT 2019 11: Tabernacling Himself in His own creation.
- VIDEO: @BishopHying of @MadisonDiocese in Rome for the ad limina visit 1 & 2
- NYC Day 1: Italian Sauce or Gravy
- ADVENTCAzT 2019 10: “Some candle clear burns somewhere I come by.”
- Pontifical Mass with Card. Burke
- STUDIES: When highly developed cultures undergo sexual revolution and license they collapse with monotonous regularity within three generations
- Your Sunday Sermon Notes
- ADVENTCAzT 2019 09: Head and heart
- My View For Awhile: Gotham Assault
- Happy 14th Birthday, Blog!
- ADVENTCAzT 2019 08: “How beautiful thou art, O Lady”
- More homosexualist rubbish from – wait for it! – German bishops!
- ADVENTCAzT 2019 07: “O Come Redeemer of the Earth”
- ASK FATHER: Do I sin if I think that Benedict XVI on purpose didn’t resign the papacy?
- Reflections on the symbolism of the altar rail or Communion rail and some practical suggestions
- ADVENTCAzT 2019 06: “Jesus thirsts for us to thirst for Him.”
- Stepping on the Third Gear
- Newly Received! Challenge Coin – Coloring Books – Bibles – 2020 Ordo
- ASK FATHER: Are vestments made of materials other than silk tolerated for Mass in the Extraordinary Form?
- APR [Abortion Pill Reversal] 1,000 babies saved since 2012
- Sending snail-mail 2019 Christmas cards
- Solemn Requiem Mass for the late Bp. Robert C. Morlino, prayers also for Bp. Paul Sirba – VIDEO/AUDIO sermon
- ADVENTCAzT 2019 05: Angelic suggestions or our own thoughts?
- MADISON – 4 Dec – 6:30PM – Solemn Requiem Mass for Bp. Robert C. Morlino
- ADVENTCAzT 2019 04: When liturgical participation became “doing”
- Fulton Sheen’s Beatification put on hold at the request of “some bishops”.
- ACTION ITEM! #GivingTuesday suggestions from @FatherZ
- ADVENTCAzT 2019 03: “Make straight the path”
- New gear from Rome: Vimpae and BUCKLES!
- D. Grand Rapids – Priest denies Communion to Lesbian judge married to a woman. He’s now under attack.
Let us pray…
Grant unto thy Church, we beseech Thee, O merciful God, that She, being gathered together by the Holy Ghost, may be in no wise troubled by attack from her foes. O God, who by sin art offended and by penance pacified, mercifully regard the prayers of Thy people making supplication unto Thee,and turn away the scourges of Thine anger which we deserve for our sins. Almighty and Everlasting God, in whose Hand are the power and the government of every realm: look down upon and help the Christian people that the heathen nations who trust in the fierceness of their own might may be crushed by the power of thine Arm. Through our Lord Jesus Christ, Thy Son, who liveth and reigneth with Thee in the unity of the Holy Ghost, God, world without end. R. Amen.
Yes, Fr. Z is taking ads…
Because it matters what children read…
Be a “Zed-Head”!
I carry one of these super-strong rosaries in my spare mag pouch! The Swiss Guards have them too!
My "challenge coin" for my 25th anniversary of ordination in 2016.
Want one? I do exchanges with military and LEOs, etc. and you can make a donation.
PLEASE RESPOND. Pretty pleeeease?Loading ...
WDTPRS POLLLoading ...
“Rigid”? Pfffft. “Faithful!” No priest’s desk or kitchen is complete without one, for young, old, and priests in general.
Fr. Z’s stuff is everywhere
Help support Fr. Z’s Gospel of Life work at no cost to you. Do you need a Real Estate Agent? Calling these people is the FIRST thing you should do!
GREAT causes to support
Help Monks in Wyoming (coffee – UPDATED LINK) and Norcia (beer) and the wonderful "Soap Sisters" of Summit, NJ!
Please follow me on Twitter!
If you travel internationally, this is a super useful gizmo for your mobile internet data. I use one. If you get one through my link, I get data rewards.
Tag Archives: lunar eclipse
Here is a beautiful photo from Astronomy Pic of the Day. HERE HDR: Earth’s Circular Shadow on the Moon Image Credit & Copyright: Cristian Fattinnanzi Explanation: What could create such a large circular shadow on the Moon? The Earth. Last week’s full … Continue reading
Tonight… for a lot of you. Alas, I won’t be able to view it. Rats. I would have loved to see this thing against the background of downtown Tokyo, where I am as I write. We have a Super-Wolf-Blood Moon. … Continue reading
On a far happier note, from SpaceWeather and from APOD come astronomical notes of interest. First, APOD says that Mars is in opposition. This mean that the entire planet is lined up against liberals, in a kind of solar systemic … Continue reading
This is from SpaceWeather: BLUE MOON LUNAR ECLIPSE: On Wednesday, Jan. 31st, the second full Moon of January will pass through Earth’s shadow, producing a rare “Blue Moon Lunar Eclipse.” The Moon won’t look blue, however. Researchers are predicting a … Continue reading
I returned from Tokyo tonight to find the famous annihilation SHTF TEOTWAWKI moon going on. First, I went to a “bachelor party” of sorts for a young fellow who contributes to Gregorian chant here in the Diocese of the Extraordinary … Continue reading
From Spaceweather: SUPERMOON ECLIPSE: This weekend’s full Moon is a supermoon, the biggest and brightest full Moon of the year. And it is going to be eclipsed. On Sunday evening, Sept. 27th, the supermoon will pass through the shadow of Earth, … Continue reading
Of eclipses twice have I written lately. HERE and HERE The first post was about the lunar cycle called a “tetrad”. The second was about the lunar eclipse visible in Jerusalem at the time Christ died, and the resulting solar … Continue reading
On 4 April we will see the THIRD BLOOD MOON OF THE TETRAD! In time for the Vigil. The next total lunar eclipse, the 4th Blood moon of the Tetrad, will be 28 September. Four BLOOD MOONS in ONE TETRAD. … Continue reading
For your information: Space Weather News for Oct. 7, 2014 http://spaceweather.com TOTAL ECLIPSE OF THE MOON: The Moon is about to pass through the shadow of Earth, producing a colorful lunar eclipse. Sky watchers in the Americas, Australia, Pacific islands … Continue reading
Just to remind us of who we are and who we are not, this is from SpaceWeather: Space Weather News for Oct. 18, 2013 http://spaceweather.com FAINT LUNAR ECLIPSE: On the night of Oct. 18th, the full Hunter’s Moon will pass … Continue reading
Yesterday (and early today) was the super rare Transit of Venus, but a while back there was a spiffing eclipse of the Moon. Here is a great photo from Astronomy Pic of the Day, of said eclipse over Cody, WY, … Continue reading
From Space Weather: LUNAR ECLIPSE: On June 4th, the full Moon will pass through the shadow of Earth, producing a partial lunar eclipse visible across the Pacific side of our planet. The eclipse zone stretches from east Asia to central … Continue reading
There is a very cool pic on Astronomy Pic of the Day. There was recently a lunar eclipse. I missed it because I was in Florida where it rained for about 4 solid days without CEASING. But that’s another story. … Continue reading
Perpend and be amazed. With the help of APOD. And read here. Sometime after sunset tonight, [The eclipse begins on Tuesday morning, Dec. 21st, at 1:33 am EST (Monday, Dec. 20th, at 10:33 pm PST)] the Moon will go dark. … Continue reading