Search Fr. Z’s Blog
SHOPPING ONLINE? Please, come here first!
Your use of my Amazon link is a major part of my income. It helps to pay for insurance, groceries, everything. Please remember me when shopping online. Thanks in advance.
Try AmazonFresh Free Trial
Shop Amazon Gold Box - New Deals. Everyday
Shop Amazon Gift Cards - Instant Delivery or Free One-Day Shipping
Try Prime Discounted Monthly Offering
And you do need a Kindle! - HERE
Kindle Unlimited Membership Plans
About this blog…
“This blog is like a fusion of the Baroque ‘salon’ with its well-tuned harpsichord around which polite society gathered for entertainment and edification and, on the other hand, a Wild West “saloon” with its out-of-tune piano and swinging doors, where everyone has a gun and something to say. Nevertheless, we try to point our discussions back to what it is to be Catholic in this increasingly difficult age, to love God, and how to get to heaven.” – Fr. Z
Coat of Arms by D Burkart
CLICK and say your daily offerings!
Do you want to show some appreciation?
YOUR RECENT COMMENTS
- acardnal: Looks good! What was your wine choice?
- Baritone: Wonderful homily, Father. Very much appreciate d. My own parish had its first streamed Mass today, and we were able to “att end” from our home. Our pastor preached on the...
- wmeyer: No, not everything FB does is a conscious act against us. At least, I could not say with certainty. However, in the censoring of private messages, one must ask how a private message viola...
- kat: When we watched the Pope give the Urbi Et Orbi blessing we knelt around the computer screen (which was on my kitchen table) and adored Our Lord, and received the blessing on our knees. Today,...
- Mariana2: Thanks, Father! The bronze would across the years have been filched in any case, a good thing (some of?) it went to the baldachin!
- jmaryb: In reply to JonathanTX , I believe it was St Damien of Molokai who had to receive the Sacrament of Reconcilia tion from his provincial Father Modeste Favens, while the two were in separ...
- Gab: Beautiful sermon, Father. I shall have to listen to it again. So much to ponder!
- Traductora: In my diocese, the sacraments are completely locked away from us and we can’t even enter our churches. But don’t think the bishops and clergy are sitting around doing nothing 230;we...
- Ms. M-S: Thank you, Fr. Z, for the thoughts on liturgical pruning. They chime in perfectly with the present limitation s on the Church and its faithful, and they even suggest benefits from patient...
- gaudete: He did! Already over a week ago: https://pr ess.vatica n.va/conte nt/salasta mpa/en/bol lettino/pu bblico/202 0/03/20/20 0320c.html
- Tara Tremuit: Anita Moore, so well put, all of it. The quotation from Proverbs and the starvation rations analogy exactly describes it. And yes, the absolute contrast between the impotence of...
- kurtmasur: ”The reading of sacred scripture for at least half an hour from a text approved by the competent authority (#30),” I was just wondering what or who exactly is the “competent authori...
- ordovirginum: If it helps someone, there are at least two possibilit ies for live-strea med NO Holy Mass in New Zealand (Christchu rch diocese). By the Bishop of Christchur ch and the Cathed...
- Sportsfan: My neighbor told me yesterday he did a house blessing via internet and used water that was blessed over live stream. It sounded fishy to me but I didn’ ;t say anything. I guess I...
- Semper Gumby: Thank you Fr. Z. “Tru ly, this was the Son of God.” ; Mariana2: *chuckle* Good point. “Bro thers, what we do in life echoes in eternity.& #8221; – Maximus
- Anita Moore, O.P.(lay): Tara Tremuit says: What surprises me more than anything is how ecstatic people are that the Pope did this. We are so unaccustom ed to our heirarchs behaving as normal men of...
- Anita Moore, O.P.(lay): I wish the Pope would issue a decree like this and make it universal.
- Netmilsmom: What about Easter Basket blessings? What about the Oil in those?
- JPD: Got hold of a priest; never heard of general absolution ; but willing to go, is it the same formula as normal absolution . In a very rural area here not many priests around.
- Tara Tremuit: What surprises me more than anything is how ecstatic people are that the Pope did this. We are so unaccustom ed to our heirarchs behaving as normal men of faith that we fall all over...
- robtbrown: In so far as the blessing of a Rosary would not be constituti ve, a Papal blessing of it could be imparted over TV or radio, n’es t-ce pas? [No. It is constituti ve. Afterward, the...
- UncleBlobb: Father, Thank you for the fervorino!
- JPD: Thank you; working on it; trying to get a novus ordo priest, so far no good, but I know SSPX have a chapel in Potsdam so putting in a call there. [Hang on… remember 8230; a priest is a...
- JPD: Opps; what is the distance for the uncle to hear a priests absolution ; not my absolution . Typo. [We cannot solve this for you at a distance. IF there is DANGER OF DEATH you need to contact...
- JPD: The uncle is on the third floor; so is that close enough to hear my absolution .
Fr. Z’s VOICEMAIL
Nota bene: I do not answer these numbers or this Skype address. You won't get me "live". I check for messages regularly.
020 8133 4535
Don’t rely on popes, bishops and priests.
“Who is going to save our Church? Not our bishops, not our priests and religious. It is up to you, the people. You have the minds, the eyes, and the ears to save the Church. Your mission is to see that your priests act like priests, your bishops act like bishops.”
- Fulton Sheen
Therefore, ACTIVATE YOUR CONFIRMATION and get to work!
Send Snail Mail to Fr. Z
“The modern habit of doing ceremonial things unceremoniously is no proof of humility; rather it proves the offender's inability to forget himself in the rite, and his readiness to spoil for every one else the proper pleasure of ritual.”
- C.S. Lewis
This blog has to earn its keep!
PLEASE subscribe if it is useful.
That way I have steady income I can plan on, and you wind up regularly on my list of benefactors for whom I pray and for whom I periodically say Holy Mass.
For a one time donation...
I set up a
CONTINUE TO GIVE
account, which functions rather like PayPal. Some of you use it. Here is a QCode you can use with your smart phones. Try it!
Also, to receive a link to donate via Continue To Give using your smart phone SEND MESSAGE:
4827563 TO: 715-803-4772 (USA)
Some donations also come through CHASE. That works well. I don't think they take any percentage as fees.
I was at this conference last year. I’ll probably go this year! That’s how enjoyable it was. I’ve marked my calendar.
As for Latin…
"But if, in any layman who is indeed imbued with literature, ignorance of the Latin language, which we can truly call the 'catholic' language, indicates a certain sluggishness in his love toward the Church, how much more fitting it is that each and every cleric should be adequately practiced and skilled in that language!" - Pius XI
"Let us realize that this remark of Cicero (Brutus 37, 140) can be in a certain way referred to [young lay people]: 'It is not so much a matter of distinction to know Latin as it is disgraceful not to know it.'" - St. John Paul II
- 29 March Sunday – VESPERS live-streamed 1500h (GMT -5)
- Fr. Z’s Kitchen: Pasta e ceci alla Romana
- Your Sunday Sermon Notes – 1st Passion Sunday 2020 (TLM)
- POLL: Veiling and covering images on 1st Passion Sunday 2020, 5th of Lent
- 29 March – LIVE Sunday Mass (TLM) 0730 CDT
- LENTCAzT 2020: 33 – 5th Sunday of Lent – 1st Passion Sunday: Time to die
- @MadisonDiocese : Bp. Hying’s Decree altering conditions for gaining Plenary Indulgences
- ASK FATHER: Blessing sacramentals over a live stream on the internet
- 28 March – Holy Mass (TLM) Saturday 4th Week of Lent – LIVE VIDEO: 1200h CDT (GMT/UTC -5)
- LENTCAzT 2020: 31 – Saturday in the 4th Week of Lent: Reward for an act of charity.
- ASK FATHER: Best practices for following a Mass which is live-streamed on the internet or broadcast on TV
- Wherein a seriously annoyed Fr. Z rants – UPDATED
- ACTION ITEM! BISHOPS and PRIESTS – Exorcise and bless!
- Startling visuals from special “Urbi et Orbi” ceremony in Rome against the pandemic
- 27 March – Votive Mass “for the sick” – LIVE VIDEO: 1200h CDT (GMT/UTC -5)
- LENTCAzT 2020: 31 – Friday in the 4th Week of Lent: “The nature of our pride”
- 1st Space Force mission is a go
- LENTCAzT 2020: 30 – Thursday in the 4th Week of Lent: “I command you, get up!”
- Darmok and Jalad at Tanagra
- Fakebook blocking or deleting live-streamed Catholic Masses
- ROME: Famous 1522 Plague Procession Crucifix moved to St. Peter’s
- ASK FATHER: How to contact priests to serve their private Traditional Latin Masses
- YOUR URGENT PRAYER REQUESTS
- 25 March: Feast of The Good Thief, St. Dismas… who stole heaven
- 25 March – Annunciation – LIVE VIDEO: Mass at 1200h CDT (GMT/UTC -5)
- CDF DECREE: New PREFACES for the Extraordinary Form (TLM) liturgical calendar
- CDF DECREE: New SAINTS for the Extraordinary Form (TLM) liturgical calendar
- LENTCAzT 2020: 29 – Wednesday in the 4th Week of Lent & Annunciation: “She is the ‘people of God'”
- A great “wartime” Sunday Mass in my native place. Fr. Z kudos.
- Of bells and virus bell curves. Wherein Fr. Z rants.
Let us pray…
Grant unto thy Church, we beseech Thee, O merciful God, that She, being gathered together by the Holy Ghost, may be in no wise troubled by attack from her foes. O God, who by sin art offended and by penance pacified, mercifully regard the prayers of Thy people making supplication unto Thee,and turn away the scourges of Thine anger which we deserve for our sins. Almighty and Everlasting God, in whose Hand are the power and the government of every realm: look down upon and help the Christian people that the heathen nations who trust in the fierceness of their own might may be crushed by the power of thine Arm. Through our Lord Jesus Christ, Thy Son, who liveth and reigneth with Thee in the unity of the Holy Ghost, God, world without end. R. Amen.
Yes, Fr. Z is taking ads…
Because it matters what children read…
Be a “Zed-Head”!
I carry one of these super-strong rosaries in my spare mag pouch! The Swiss Guards have them too!
My "challenge coin" for my 25th anniversary of ordination in 2016.
Want one? I do exchanges with military and LEOs, etc. and you can make a donation.
PLEASE RESPOND. Pretty pleeeease?Loading ...
Please use my links when shopping! I depend on your help.
WDTPRS POLLLoading ...
“Rigid”? Pfffft. “Faithful!” No priest’s desk or kitchen is complete without one, for young, old, and priests in general.
Fr. Z’s stuff is everywhere
Help support Fr. Z’s Gospel of Life work at no cost to you. Do you need a Real Estate Agent? Calling these people is the FIRST thing you should do!
GREAT causes to support
Help Monks in Wyoming (coffee – UPDATED LINK) and Norcia (beer) and the wonderful "Soap Sisters" of Summit, NJ!
Please follow me on Twitter!
If you travel internationally, this is a super useful gizmo for your mobile internet data. I use one. If you get one through my link, I get data rewards.
Tag Archives: Sacrament of Anointing
UPDATE Concerning something I ranted about below, I read this at CNA: Updated: Springfield, Mass. diocese rescinds policy permitting nurses to anoint Thanks be to God. One hour after the publication of the story below, the Diocese of Springfield informed … Continue reading
From a reader… QUAERITUR: If a hospital patient that is able to confess still gets the sacrament of the sick does it just forgive venial sins or mortal ones too? First, let’s be clear about something. The sacrament of anointing … Continue reading
From a reader… QUAERITUR: Can a Bishop give a permanent Deacon (Military Ordinariate) the authority to administer the Sacrament of the Sick? NO! One hundred times… NO! Deacons are not able to administer Anointing of the Sick. Only the sacerdos (which term … Continue reading
From a reader… QUAERITUR: We have a question and prayer need for a man dying of cancer. He is a remarried Catholic without an annulment who doesn’t receive Communion. Not sure if he attends Mass. His daughter-in-law’s pastor said he … Continue reading
ASK FATHER: My unconscious aunt died after being anointed: was she forgiven? (Wherein Fr. Z also rants.)
From a reader… QUAERITUR: My aunt recently passed away two major strokes. After her second, my uncle, an openly declared agnostic, asked me if she should have a priest. I replied in the affirmative, and the hospital had a priest … Continue reading
In the last few hours some of you have sent similar questions. QUAERITUR: How long after death can the Sacrament of Anointing be administered? Sometimes we say “Last Rites”, though technically Last Rites includes Penance, Anointing and Viaticum (Eucharist), and hopefully … Continue reading
From a priest … QUAERITUR: Every year at this time, my pastor has a communal anointing of the sick at mass. At the mass, everyone gets anointed, whether they need it or not. Is this correct? What should I, a lowly … Continue reading
From a reader… QUAERITUR: What does apostolic pardon mean? The Apostolic Pardon, or Benediction, forgives temporal punishment due to our sins, not the sins themselves. If anything remains from our lives, provided we die in the state of grace, for … Continue reading
I recently went to a family home to anoint a fellow who is seriously ailing. They participate regularly in the Extraordinary Form at the parish where I help out and so I took my old Roman Ritual (the rite is … Continue reading
From a reader… QUAERITUR: I´m writing from Spain where sadly, a nurse is extremely ill with Ebola virus. She was infected while treating a Spanish missionary who was brought back from Africa to get treated. My question is this: imagine … Continue reading
From a reader… QUAERITUR: In my Religion book by Fr. Laux, “Mass and the Sacraments”, he says without any explanation that soldiers going into battle and criminals before execution cannot receive Extreme Unction. I get the soldiers part, but why … Continue reading
From a reader: I am a graduate student at ___, and over the past few weeks have received two emails (one related to the tragedy this past weekend) for “Healing Masses” in which (quoting the one) “priests…will be available to administer … Continue reading
From a reader: Am I allowed to take home communion for my sick wife & in what. You are to be commended for wanting to help your wife benefit from the Eucharist. I hope she is better soon. The short … Continue reading
From a reader: I understand that the Sacrament of the anointing is not the same as the apostolic pardon. Why is it that some priests do not say those words for this pardon and give both the blessing and the … Continue reading
From a reader: Can mortal sins be forgiven in the sacrament of Extreme Unction? The Catechism of Trent seems to say no: “Pastors, therefore, should teach that by this Sacrament is imparted grace that remits sins, and especially lighter, or … Continue reading