Search Fr. Z’s Blog
SHOPPING ONLINE? Please, come here first!Your use of my Amazon link is a major part of my income. It helps to pay for insurance, groceries, everything. Please remember me when shopping online. Thanks in advance. Try AmazonFresh Free Trial Shop Amazon Gold Box - New Deals. Everyday Shop Amazon Gift Cards - Instant Delivery or Free One-Day Shipping Try Prime Discounted Monthly Offering And you do need a Kindle! - HERE Kindle Unlimited Membership Plans
About this blog…
“This blog is like a fusion of the Baroque ‘salon’ with its well-tuned harpsichord around which polite society gathered for entertainment and edification and, on the other hand, a Wild West “saloon” with its out-of-tune piano and swinging doors, where everyone has a gun and something to say. Nevertheless, we try to point our discussions back to what it is to be Catholic in this increasingly difficult age, to love God, and how to get to heaven.” – Fr. Z
Coat of Arms by D Burkart
CLICK and say your daily offerings!
Do you want to show some appreciation?
Do you have a faithful Catholic website that needs competent and reliable tech support?
Fr. Z’s VOICEMAIL
Nota bene: I do not answer these numbers or this Skype address. You won't get me "live". I check for messages regularly.
020 8133 4535
YOUR RECENT COMMENTS
Books which you must have.
Don’t rely on popes, bishops and priests.
“Who is going to save our Church? Not our bishops, not our priests and religious. It is up to you, the people. You have the minds, the eyes, and the ears to save the Church. Your mission is to see that your priests act like priests, your bishops act like bishops.”
- Fulton Sheen
Therefore, ACTIVATE YOUR CONFIRMATION and get to work!
Send Snail Mail to Fr. Z
“The modern habit of doing ceremonial things unceremoniously is no proof of humility; rather it proves the offender's inability to forget himself in the rite, and his readiness to spoil for every one else the proper pleasure of ritual.”
- C.S. Lewis
This blog has to earn its keep!
PLEASE subscribe if it is useful.
That way I have steady income I can plan on, and you wind up regularly on my list of benefactors for whom I pray and for whom I periodically say Holy Mass.
For a one time donation...
I set up a
CONTINUE TO GIVE
account, which functions rather like PayPal. Some of you use it. Here is a QCode you can use with your smart phones. Try it!
Also, to receive a link to donate via Continue To Give using your smart phone SEND MESSAGE:
4827563 TO: 715-803-4772 (USA)
Some donations also come through CHASE. That works well. I don't think they take any percentage as fees.
As for Latin…
"But if, in any layman who is indeed imbued with literature, ignorance of the Latin language, which we can truly call the 'catholic' language, indicates a certain sluggishness in his love toward the Church, how much more fitting it is that each and every cleric should be adequately practiced and skilled in that language!" - Pius XI
"Let us realize that this remark of Cicero (Brutus 37, 140) can be in a certain way referred to [young lay people]: 'It is not so much a matter of distinction to know Latin as it is disgraceful not to know it.'" - St. John Paul II
- VIDEO: Unhinged Karen’s spittle-flecked, obscenity-laced nutty on hearing that Justice Ginsberg died. LANGUAGE WARNING
- LIVE VIDEO – 19 September 1200h CDT (GMT/UTC -5) – Traditional Latin Mass – For my benefactors: St. Januarius
- ASK FATHER: Some say @TaylorRMarshall, Tim Gordon, Archbp. Vigano are schismatic. Is this true?”
- REVIEW – TLM ORDO for 2021 by Romanitas Press
- #ASonnetADay – 39. “O! how thy worth with manners may I sing…” (At the doctor’s office)
- ACTION ITEM! Traditional Latin Mass Survey ONLINE
- 18 September – LIVE VIDEO Traditional Latin Mass – 1200h CDT (GMT/UTC -5): St. Joseph of Cupertino
- #ASonnetADay – 38. “How can my muse want subject to invent…” (And there is an “upstart crow” in the background!)
- Spiffing NEW OLD Book! A Limerickal Commentary on the Second Vatican Council
- Not all is dark in the Church. Tradition is flooding back!
- Thanks from Fr. Z and upcoming Mass for Benefactors
- Since “Black Lives Matter”, nota bene! New pro-life film released today: Divided Hearts of America
- 17 September – LIVE VIDEO Traditional Latin Mass – 1200h CDT (GMT/UTC -5): Stigmata of St. Francis
- The Ass. of Catholic Priests vape against AG Bill Barr
- 17 September – St. Robert Bellarmine – Doctor and Pot Scrubber of the Church
- September Ember Days 2020 – confusion about the true dates
- ANOTHER priest with an invalid baptism. Fathers! Review the videos of your baptism! ACTION ITEM!
- #ASonnetADay – The other “Ozymandias”! – GUEST SONNET No, not by Shelley.
- Newspaper of the Italian Bishops Conference – Avvenire – defends “Cuties”
- CQ CQ CQ: #HamRadio – International Space Station UPGRADED
- 16 September – LIVE VIDEO Traditional Latin Mass – 1200h CDT (GMT/UTC -5): Sts Cornelius and Cyprian
- Dates of the Presidential Debates and Feast days.
- #ASonnetADay – Ozymandias – GUEST SONNET by Percy Byshe Shelley
- ACTION ITEM! Seven Sisters Apostolate – Fr. Z’s group
- CQ CQ CQ #HamRadio issue: Video from NASA about “Our Next Solar Cycle”
- Card. Müller: “[I]t is “better to vote for a good Protestant than for a bad Catholic.”
- Reason #747903 for Summorum Pontificum: JESUITS! Yoga in the church SANCTUARY of St. Francis Xavier (again) in NYC
- 15 September – LIVE VIDEO Traditional Latin Mass – 1200h CDT (GMT/UTC -5): Seven Sorrows of the Blessed Virgin Mary
- 15 September: Seven Sorrows of Mary – The “Our Lady of Sorrows Project”
- #ASonnetADay – 37. “As a decrepit father takes delight…”
Let us pray…
Grant unto thy Church, we beseech Thee, O merciful God, that She, being gathered together by the Holy Ghost, may be in no wise troubled by attack from her foes. O God, who by sin art offended and by penance pacified, mercifully regard the prayers of Thy people making supplication unto Thee,and turn away the scourges of Thine anger which we deserve for our sins. Almighty and Everlasting God, in whose Hand are the power and the government of every realm: look down upon and help the Christian people that the heathen nations who trust in the fierceness of their own might may be crushed by the power of thine Arm. Through our Lord Jesus Christ, Thy Son, who liveth and reigneth with Thee in the unity of the Holy Ghost, God, world without end. R. Amen.
Yes, Fr. Z is taking ads…
Because it matters what children read…
Be a “Zed-Head”!
I carry one of these super-strong rosaries in my spare mag pouch! The Swiss Guards have them too!
My "challenge coin" for my 25th anniversary of ordination in 2016.
Want one? I do exchanges with military and LEOs, etc. and you can make a donation.
PLEASE RESPOND. Pretty pleeeease?Loading ...
This is really useful when travelling… and also when you aren’t and you need backup internet NOW! I use this for my DMR “Zednet” hotspot when I’m mobile. It’s a ham radio thing.
If you travel internationally, this is a super useful gizmo for your mobile internet data. I use one. If you get one through my link, I get data rewards.
Please use my links when shopping! I depend on your help.
WDTPRS POLLLoading ...
“Rigid”? Pfffft. “Faithful!” No priest’s desk or kitchen is complete without one, for young, old, and priests in general.
Fr. Z’s stuff is everywhere
Help support Fr. Z’s Gospel of Life work at no cost to you. Do you need a Real Estate Agent? Calling these people is the FIRST thing you should do!
GREAT causes to support
Category Archives: Canon Law
Holy Church is precisely for sinners, for bad Catholics. The Lord is going to sort us all out in good time, as in the parable of the wheat and the tares. Everlasting bliss for some, eternal agony and fire for … Continue reading
UPDATE: 4 August 2020 CLOSED UPDATE: 7 July 2020 The original deadline for this has passed. I am waiting to hear back from the canonist in Rome about the data summary from the survey. Although the deadline has passed, I … Continue reading
From a reader… QUAERITUR: In my home diocese (in Australia) our Bishop has decreed that all people who enter a church must sign into a visitor’s book and include their name, contact details and the time of entry and departure. … Continue reading
From a reader… QUAERITUR: While on lockdown, can watching (within a sunday) a replayed online mass fulfill the sunday mass obligation? Or must one have to watch the online sunday mass in real time to fulfill this obligation? First of … Continue reading
ASK FATHER: Penalties for Violation of the Seal. Wherein Fr. Z and a fictional SSPX priest explain the situation.
In the combox I was asked… QUAERITUR: Doesnt revealing the content and identity of a penitent incur grave penalties? I respond thusly. First, for a person – and priests are people, too – to incur a censure, he has to … Continue reading
From a reader… QUAERITUR: I have friend who is getting married in the Orthodox church. This friend and his wife to be were both Catholics, but recently left the Church for the Orthodox church. Is this marriage valid? Should I … Continue reading
LifeSite posts verbatim interview with Bp. Sorondo of the Pontifical Academy of Sciences. It isn’t pretty.
Diane Montagna posted something at LifeSite that serves a good purpose. She sat down with the controversial head of the Pontifical Academy of Sciences (you know, the crowd that has Jeffrey Sachs on speed-dial) who are musing about “transhumanism”, Bishop … Continue reading
From a reader… QUAERITUR: I attended an Extraordinary Form Mass this morning [Sunday] so I could stay home with a sick child while my husband and older children went to a later Novus Ordo Mass at our parish. I forgot … Continue reading
From a reader… QUAERITUR: Long ago I went to confession and was given and reluctantly agreed to\ a rather onerous penance not required by justice. I didn’t end up doing it after thinking about it for a while and went … Continue reading
There is a good piece today at The Catholic Thing which looks at denial of Holy Communion to obstinate public supporters of abortion. The writer brings up the example of the late Archbp. Rummel of New Orleans who, in the … Continue reading
D. Grand Rapids – Priest denies Communion to Lesbian judge married to a woman. He’s now under attack.
UPDATE 2 Dec 2019: This story has now thudded into a hardly surprising new phase. HERE She went to a Methodist “inclusion” gathering and tool their “communion”. I like the bit in the video where she says, “It’s not about … Continue reading
Fr James Martin, LGBTQSJ. The Jesuit homosexualist activist. There are so many things to say about James Martin. Let’s focus today on the whopper he tweeted about Communion for pro-abortion politicians. Two tweets… connected. Denying Communion to politicians, Democrat or … Continue reading
From a reader… QUAERITUR: In your podcast the other about [Fr. Thomas G.] Weinandy’s idea of an “internal papal schism” you said that nobody is saying that Bergoglio is an Antipope. But there are people saying that and Bergoglio is … Continue reading
From a reader… QUAERITUR: When the pope personally ordains a new bishop, does the ordination liturgy still contain the question about a mandate from the Apostolic See? This would seem redundant if the pope is present and/or the celebrant and … Continue reading
This week brought us Jesuit Thomas Reese, who undermined faith in transubstantiation. I wrote about that HERE. And Jesuit James Martin is incessantly sowing confusion about same-sex relationships and the Church’s teaching about homosexual acts. Now this. From CNA: Vatican … Continue reading