Search Fr. Z’s Blog
SHOPPING ONLINE? Please, come here first!
Your use of my Amazon link is a major part of my income. It helps to pay for insurance, groceries, everything. Please remember me when shopping online. Thanks in advance.
Try AmazonFresh Free Trial
Shop Amazon Gold Box - New Deals. Everyday
Shop Amazon Gift Cards - Instant Delivery or Free One-Day Shipping
Try Prime Discounted Monthly Offering
And you do need a Kindle! - HERE
Kindle Unlimited Membership Plans
About this blog…
“This blog is like a fusion of the Baroque ‘salon’ with its well-tuned harpsichord around which polite society gathered for entertainment and edification and, on the other hand, a Wild West “saloon” with its out-of-tune piano and swinging doors, where everyone has a gun and something to say. Nevertheless, we try to point our discussions back to what it is to be Catholic in this increasingly difficult age, to love God, and how to get to heaven.” – Fr. Z
Coat of Arms by D Burkart
CLICK and say your daily offerings!
Do you want to show some appreciation?
YOUR RECENT COMMENTS
- iPadre: My focus was on the Offertory. “I looked for one that would grieve together with Me.” And I talked about us keeping company with out Lord at Eucharist Adoration as He suffers...
- Rob in Maine: Well, the streamline feed died, so I participat ed in half of our area Mass and the other half with the Holy Father at St. Peter̵ 7;s. :/
- Ms. M-S: Food for thought. Thanks, Fr. Z.
- Semper Gumby: “So, for the duration of the coronaviru s challenge, just kiss the solita oscula goodbye. 8221; Rick’ ;s Café Américain agrees: You must remember this A kiss is just a...
- Cafea Fruor: My parish is still doing confession , so I walked to church and back (I have no car, and the bus is a petri dish of germs). They’ ;re doing confession in two side vestibules ,...
- CanukFrank: I attended your mass in Pine Bluff via Internet, Fr! Good points? “There is no distance 8230;.” reminded me that the 2,398 km from Pine Bluff to my neck of Canada is inconseque ntial....
- Fr Martin Fox: I talked a lot about confession s, since that is most of what i can offer, when I wasn’ ;t talking about the pain we all feel.
- disc.s.thom: It reads like the rallying cry of a dictator, seeing that revolution is near at hand, deciding he will gather as many of his loyal soldiers to his side, only to cause them to die while...
- Kathleen10: Yes, well done by both!
- Jim Dorchak: We did not have Sunday here in Chile. The bISHOPS called it off and deemed it non essential.
- Spinmamma: Point (really a reminder) : Our Lord is the ultimate servant, and He served not only God the Father but us. He sacrificed Himself for us and we are called to sacrifice ourselves to Him...
- Denis Crnkovic: Fr X– at St S– asked: Why are the big box stores open when the Catholic Churches are closed to Confession ? (Okay, I studied Russian literature seriously for many...
- Fr_Andrew: An SSPX priest friend sent me the guidelines and advice he received to help me sort myself out, so I’ll share some of those for other priests : Holy Thursday, the spirit of the...
- Baritone: Maybe what each of us is seeing today is something of what the world might look like if repentance were not possible. The priests … preaching to an empty church, with no one prese...
- Semper Gumby: Excellent. Perhaps the following is more applicable to short-wave and ZedNet, but this brings to mind a few lines from Rush’ ;s “The Spirit of Radio̶ 1;: Begin the day...
- Semper Gumby: “An honor and an opportunit y is being offered to you.” ; Amen Fr. Z.
- Mariana2: Thanks, Father. Will do as instructed .
- Semper Gumby: jaykay: You’ re right, they did prevail against the godless Commies, for a time. “The price of liberty is eternal vigilance. ” This quote has been attributed to...
- Semper Gumby: “Soc ial distancing required for health reasons, even though it is necessary, cannot and must not ever turn into ecclesial distancing , much less theologica l-sacramen tal...
- jaykay: Semper G: wonderful article, thanks for the link. This struck me: “And it was the two of them who joined together in the 1980s to wage battle against the beast—agai nst the very...
- Imrahil: Even if I could have been to Mass today, there would not have been a sermon. Neither was there one in the Mass who I attached myself virtually to by lifestream . Seems to be a traditi...
- Semper Gumby: Well done Dr. K and marnie.
- TonyO: I believe many of them are also afraid of this liturgical tradition because they don’t know it! I think this is true, Fr. Z, but what I don’ t understand is: WHY? I am not yet 60, and...
- khouri: The texts stink, no petition for the aversion of the disease, not penitentia l words. I’ll just use the English translatio n from the 1967 Missal.
- Semper Gumby: Getting along during a pandemic is one thing, Dhimmitude is quite another.
Fr. Z’s VOICEMAIL
Nota bene: I do not answer these numbers or this Skype address. You won't get me "live". I check for messages regularly.
020 8133 4535
Don’t rely on popes, bishops and priests.
“Who is going to save our Church? Not our bishops, not our priests and religious. It is up to you, the people. You have the minds, the eyes, and the ears to save the Church. Your mission is to see that your priests act like priests, your bishops act like bishops.”
- Fulton Sheen
Therefore, ACTIVATE YOUR CONFIRMATION and get to work!
Send Snail Mail to Fr. Z
“The modern habit of doing ceremonial things unceremoniously is no proof of humility; rather it proves the offender's inability to forget himself in the rite, and his readiness to spoil for every one else the proper pleasure of ritual.”
- C.S. Lewis
This blog has to earn its keep!
PLEASE subscribe if it is useful.
That way I have steady income I can plan on, and you wind up regularly on my list of benefactors for whom I pray and for whom I periodically say Holy Mass.
For a one time donation...
I set up a
CONTINUE TO GIVE
account, which functions rather like PayPal. Some of you use it. Here is a QCode you can use with your smart phones. Try it!
Also, to receive a link to donate via Continue To Give using your smart phone SEND MESSAGE:
4827563 TO: 715-803-4772 (USA)
Some donations also come through CHASE. That works well. I don't think they take any percentage as fees.
I was at this conference last year. I’ll probably go this year! That’s how enjoyable it was. I’ve marked my calendar.
As for Latin…
"But if, in any layman who is indeed imbued with literature, ignorance of the Latin language, which we can truly call the 'catholic' language, indicates a certain sluggishness in his love toward the Church, how much more fitting it is that each and every cleric should be adequately practiced and skilled in that language!" - Pius XI
"Let us realize that this remark of Cicero (Brutus 37, 140) can be in a certain way referred to [young lay people]: 'It is not so much a matter of distinction to know Latin as it is disgraceful not to know it.'" - St. John Paul II
- LENTCAzT 2020: 41 – Monday of Holy Week: The Crucifix is a simple meditation manual
- Your Sunday Sermon Notes – Palm Sunday 2020 (TLM)
- LENTCAzT 2020: 40 – Palm Sunday: This will be a truly mysterious Holy Week
- Fr. Z’s VOICEMAIL! A spiffy message in Latin!
- ASK FATHER: The Sacred Triduum in the Extraordinary Form privately, without people.
- Fr. Z’s Gold Star For The Day: Dr. Peter Kwasniewski
- The Church’s highest confessor, Card. Piacenza, says that, in this time of COVID-19, there must not be “ecclesial distancing”
- 4 April – Holy Mass (TLM) Saturday in Passion Week – LIVE VIDEO: 1200h CDT (GMT/UTC -5) – With “fervorino”
- @TuamArchdiocese in Ireland – Muslim Friday prayer in church alongside the priest – VIDEO AUDIO
- LENTCAzT 2020: 39 – Saturday in the 5th Week of Lent – Passiontide: Martyrdom
- @BoiseBishop goes to the liturgical zoo. Attempts to forbid “ad orientem” worship, kneeling for Communion, etc.
- ASK FATHER: Ritual “solita oscula” in the time of coronavirus
- Friday after 1st Passion Sunday: Our Lady of the Seven Sorrows and the “Our Lady of Sorrows Project”
- WDTPRS: Collect of the new Mass “In time of pandemic” v. Collect of traditional Mass, “In time of pestilence”. Wherein Fr. Z rants
- 3 April – Holy Mass (TLM) Seven Sorrows of Mary – LIVE VIDEO: 1200h CDT (GMT/UTC -5) – With “fervorino”
- LENTCAzT 2020: 38 – Friday in the 5th Week of Lent – Passiontide: Who do we think we are?
- Introducing the Catholic Signal Corps
- 2 April – Holy Mass (TLM) Thursday in Passion Week – LIVE VIDEO: 1200h CDT (GMT/UTC -5) – With “fervorino”
- LENTCAzT 2020: 37 – Thursday in the 5th Week of Lent – Passiontide: Counterpart to the Prodigal Son
- READER FEEDBACK: Live Masses and what the The British Government just did
- 1 April – Holy Mass (TLM) Wednesday in Passion Week – LIVE VIDEO: 1200h CDT (GMT/UTC -5) – And a cute kid…
- LENTCAzT 2020: 36 – Wednesday in the 5th Week of Lent – Passiontide: Christ’s most painful wound
- Fomites of Viruses, Fomites of Sins, and YOU
- 31 March – Holy Mass (TLM) Tuesday in Passion Week – LIVE VIDEO: 1200h CDT (GMT/UTC -5)
- LENTCAzT 2020: 35 – Tuesday in the 5th Week of Lent – Passiontide: Don’t step ahead of Providence!
- 30 March – Holy Mass (TLM) Monday in Passion Week – LIVE VIDEO: 1200h CDT (GMT/UTC -5)
- LENTCAzT 2020: 34 – Monday in the 5th Week of Lent – Passiontide: “We are perishing!”
- 29 March Sunday – VESPERS live-streamed 1500h (GMT -5)
- Fr. Z’s Kitchen: Pasta e ceci alla Romana
- Your Sunday Sermon Notes – 1st Passion Sunday 2020 (TLM)
Let us pray…
Grant unto thy Church, we beseech Thee, O merciful God, that She, being gathered together by the Holy Ghost, may be in no wise troubled by attack from her foes. O God, who by sin art offended and by penance pacified, mercifully regard the prayers of Thy people making supplication unto Thee,and turn away the scourges of Thine anger which we deserve for our sins. Almighty and Everlasting God, in whose Hand are the power and the government of every realm: look down upon and help the Christian people that the heathen nations who trust in the fierceness of their own might may be crushed by the power of thine Arm. Through our Lord Jesus Christ, Thy Son, who liveth and reigneth with Thee in the unity of the Holy Ghost, God, world without end. R. Amen.
Yes, Fr. Z is taking ads…
Because it matters what children read…
Be a “Zed-Head”!
I carry one of these super-strong rosaries in my spare mag pouch! The Swiss Guards have them too!
My "challenge coin" for my 25th anniversary of ordination in 2016.
Want one? I do exchanges with military and LEOs, etc. and you can make a donation.
PLEASE RESPOND. Pretty pleeeease?Loading ...
Please use my links when shopping! I depend on your help.
WDTPRS POLLLoading ...
“Rigid”? Pfffft. “Faithful!” No priest’s desk or kitchen is complete without one, for young, old, and priests in general.
Fr. Z’s stuff is everywhere
Help support Fr. Z’s Gospel of Life work at no cost to you. Do you need a Real Estate Agent? Calling these people is the FIRST thing you should do!
GREAT causes to support
Help Monks in Wyoming (coffee – UPDATED LINK) and Norcia (beer) and the wonderful "Soap Sisters" of Summit, NJ!
Please follow me on Twitter!
If you travel internationally, this is a super useful gizmo for your mobile internet data. I use one. If you get one through my link, I get data rewards.
Tag Archives: Seal of confession
It believe it is more important now than ever that we return to the old-fashioned confessionals with a complete physical barrier between the penitent and confessor, with a window having a fixed grate and a curtain or something to obscure … Continue reading
A bill has been introduced by Wisconsin Dems which would seek to force priests to violate the Seal of Confession under penalty of civil in case of abuse of minors. From Channel 3000 in WI: Clergy required to report child … Continue reading
Every once in a while, some legal case pops up whereby one side tries to undermine the Seal of Confession. These attempts usually go down in defeat. However, each time they are advanced, the needle is bumped ever so slightly … Continue reading
From Lexology: A note about the Seal of Confession and requiring priests to break the Seal: State Could Not Require Priest to Breach Confessional Without Satisfying RFRA In Ronchi v. State, No. 5D18-194, 2018 WL 2988975 (Fla. 5th DCA June … Continue reading
Every once in a while, like the occasional blooming of the giant Amorphophallus titanum, or corpse flower, some government entity attempts to criminalize the practice of our Faith. The latest rotting-flesh blossom occurred inCanberra, Australia. On 7 June the Australian Capital Territory’s Legislative … Continue reading
From a reader… QUAERITUR: A person enters the confessional and starts with the usual: “Forgive me, Father, for I have sinned…” She recount a sin, and ask for advice about it: what should she have done, what should she do about that sin … Continue reading
From a reader… QUAERITUR: There is a young lady who regularly takes a very long time in Confession (25-30 minutes, sometimes longer). She is not making a long confession, and it’s not the priest spending long amounts of time giving … Continue reading
From a reader… QUAERITUR: EWTN is reporting that the Australian government is trying to make priests mandatory reporters for child abuse, by requiring them to report what they hear in confession. While this is, obviously, a direct assault on the … Continue reading
From a reader… QUAERITUR: I recently went to confession in one of those open style baroque confessionals. Afterwards, I found someone directly outside the confessional (where she would have heard what was said by both parties). I confronted her about … Continue reading
From a reader… Hi Fr. X: [I’m sorry. Fr. X is not available right now. May I be of help?] I have a question for an Unreconstructed Ossified Manualist. [You’ve come to the right place.] I think I read someone … Continue reading
Have you followed at all the court battle in Louisiana concerning the Seal of Confession and obligation to report certain crimes? From CWN: A Louisiana judge has ruled unconstitutional a new state law requiring priests to report sexual abuse that … Continue reading
From a reader… QUAERITUR: Father, as a follow up to your recent post on who is bound by the seal of confession, I have two more related questions: 1. Can the penitent release the priest from the seal? I would think not, … Continue reading
From a reader… QUAERITUR: Does the seal of confession bind the penitent in any way? Background: Talking with a friend awhile ago I mentioned something I was told in confession. My friend said he was very uncomfortable with this – implying that … Continue reading
There is a CNS piece that teaches something about the Seal of Confession. Seal of confession is absolute, even after penitent dies, officials say VATICAN CITY — The secrecy of a confession is maintained so seriously and completely by the … Continue reading
From a reader… QUAERITUR: Around the lunch table a few days ago, myself and a few brother seminarians raised this question: If a priest hears the confessions of a couple to be married the day before the marriage, and one … Continue reading