Search Fr. Z’s Blog
SHOPPING ONLINE? Please, come here first!
Your use of my Amazon link is a major part of my income. It helps to pay for insurance, groceries, everything. Please remember me when shopping online. Thanks in advance.
Try AmazonFresh Free Trial
Shop Amazon Gold Box - New Deals. Everyday
Shop Amazon Gift Cards - Instant Delivery or Free One-Day Shipping
Try Prime Discounted Monthly Offering
And you do need a Kindle! - HERE
Kindle Unlimited Membership Plans
About this blog…
“This blog is like a fusion of the Baroque ‘salon’ with its well-tuned harpsichord around which polite society gathered for entertainment and edification and, on the other hand, a Wild West “saloon” with its out-of-tune piano and swinging doors, where everyone has a gun and something to say. Nevertheless, we try to point our discussions back to what it is to be Catholic in this increasingly difficult age, to love God, and how to get to heaven.” – Fr. Z
Coat of Arms by D Burkart
CLICK and say your daily offerings!
Do you want to show some appreciation?
YOUR RECENT COMMENTS
- excalibur: Father Z, how much broth did you use?
- excalibur: JustaSinne r. I smoked an eggplant once, it was hard to keep it lit though. I’ll stick to a good cigar or a pipe.
- LorrieRob: I live in Clearwater Florida. Our public masses have been suspended for approachin g two weeks. Normally we do have the Crucifix veiled but given the situation it was not this morning. I...
- Paul: Today, I watched my first, full, live online Mass at St Mary of Pine Bluff. Father Z, we don’ t know what we would do without you, Father Heilman and your congregati on through all this...
- Charivari Rob: Dan, in Boston as in Brooklyn and other places temporary changes on abstinence from meat on Lenten Fridays has nothing to do with thoughts of “alr eady having given enough&...
- Charles E Flynn: An introducti on to bucatini: Bucatini Is the Best Long Pasta There Ever Was or Will Be, by Alex Delany.
- JustaSinner: FALAFALS and humus. The only really good things to come of chickpeas. Smoke an eggplant and make some babaganush …goe s great with a falafel pita.
- Charivari Rob: “non e of the above̶ 1;: couldnR 17;t see the statues. I ended up watching streams (or partial) from three different churches today.(one I rolled over after alarm and...
- Sieber: Watched Holy Mass celebrated by Pope Francis from the St. Martha Chapel. No covered images. I then watched Holy Mass from The Altar of the Chair in St. Peter̵ 7;s. Again, nothing...
- Akita: Thank you Father for your warm and instructiv e sermon. I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE my Way of the Cross book by Benedict XVI, aka Pope Benedict. The illustrati ons by Jan Toorop have a mysticism that...
- Chrysologos: Thank you, Father, for the serenity and beauty of the sung Vespers today. And thank you for the recipe which I shall endeavour to try. The photos reminded me of the wholesome, warmi...
- Elizium23: Our parish is, for the first time, livestream ing Sunday Mass on Facebook. The stream comes from our Carmelite Missionari es’ tiny chapel. There is a good large crucifix in the...
- lh: I made them. It was not easy because I couldn’t measure, everything ’s in lockdown. I envisioned little feet peaking out. They fit, thanks be to God.
- Fr. John Zuhlsdorf: Elizium23 says: I currently loathe chickpeas. This can pass. There̵ 7;s a lot you can do with them But roasting dry with salt… ;. I don’ t think so. I used to...
- ex seaxe: I see that these decrees have caused much frothing at the mouth in certain circles – http://www .cittadell aeditrice. com/munera /open-lett er-on-the- state-of-l iturgical- except...
- Cicero_NOLA: I had to pull up the webcam view of my parish to verify that the images are veiled today, since we are prohibited from assisting. Since we find it awkward to view Mass on TV, especia...
- Kathleen10: Elizium, try Allrecipes , there̵ 7;s sure to be a chickpea recipe you like. They have redeeming qualities in that they’ ;re healthy, I think. Fr. Z., that looks yummy!
- Elizium23: This looks delicious, and I’m sure it is, with your flair for cooking, but: bless me, Father for I have sinned. I currently loathe chickpeas. I normally love them, especially in...
- Marc in Eugene: I wish we could transfer the whole season of Easter and Pentecost, Trinity Sunday, etc and swap the time after Lent for the Time after Pentecost like we do after Epiphany. I don...
- Philmont237: We have a home altar where we have been praying a “dry Mass” every Sunday. We bought some purple napkins ($12/12 napkins) that made excellent veils for our images and statues. You can...
- mabvet: ? Next do Trippa RomanoR 30;.my fave is Trippa Florentina , low fat, high protein deliciousn ess [I have done trippa alla Romana. HERE]
- Marc in Eugene: Am sure that ‘tex t approved by competent authority& #8217; means the use of a version of the Scriptures that has the imprimatur , nothing more than that– ; altho...
- Dan: There seems to be an unfortunat e inclinatio n among priests and Bishops that parishione rs have already given enough. Taking away the crucifix at a time we have already taken away the Mass,...
- acardnal: Looks good! What was your wine choice? [No wine, as it turned out!]
- Baritone: Wonderful homily, Father. Very much appreciate d. My own parish had its first streamed Mass today, and we were able to “att end” from our home. Our pastor preached on the...
Fr. Z’s VOICEMAIL
Nota bene: I do not answer these numbers or this Skype address. You won't get me "live". I check for messages regularly.
020 8133 4535
Don’t rely on popes, bishops and priests.
“Who is going to save our Church? Not our bishops, not our priests and religious. It is up to you, the people. You have the minds, the eyes, and the ears to save the Church. Your mission is to see that your priests act like priests, your bishops act like bishops.”
- Fulton Sheen
Therefore, ACTIVATE YOUR CONFIRMATION and get to work!
Send Snail Mail to Fr. Z
“The modern habit of doing ceremonial things unceremoniously is no proof of humility; rather it proves the offender's inability to forget himself in the rite, and his readiness to spoil for every one else the proper pleasure of ritual.”
- C.S. Lewis
This blog has to earn its keep!
PLEASE subscribe if it is useful.
That way I have steady income I can plan on, and you wind up regularly on my list of benefactors for whom I pray and for whom I periodically say Holy Mass.
For a one time donation...
I set up a
CONTINUE TO GIVE
account, which functions rather like PayPal. Some of you use it. Here is a QCode you can use with your smart phones. Try it!
Also, to receive a link to donate via Continue To Give using your smart phone SEND MESSAGE:
4827563 TO: 715-803-4772 (USA)
Some donations also come through CHASE. That works well. I don't think they take any percentage as fees.
I was at this conference last year. I’ll probably go this year! That’s how enjoyable it was. I’ve marked my calendar.
As for Latin…
"But if, in any layman who is indeed imbued with literature, ignorance of the Latin language, which we can truly call the 'catholic' language, indicates a certain sluggishness in his love toward the Church, how much more fitting it is that each and every cleric should be adequately practiced and skilled in that language!" - Pius XI
"Let us realize that this remark of Cicero (Brutus 37, 140) can be in a certain way referred to [young lay people]: 'It is not so much a matter of distinction to know Latin as it is disgraceful not to know it.'" - St. John Paul II
- 29 March Sunday – VESPERS live-streamed 1500h (GMT -5)
- Fr. Z’s Kitchen: Pasta e ceci alla Romana
- Your Sunday Sermon Notes – 1st Passion Sunday 2020 (TLM)
- POLL: Veiling and covering images on 1st Passion Sunday 2020, 5th of Lent
- 29 March – LIVE Sunday Mass (TLM) 0730 CDT
- LENTCAzT 2020: 33 – 5th Sunday of Lent – 1st Passion Sunday: Time to die
- @MadisonDiocese : Bp. Hying’s Decree altering conditions for gaining Plenary Indulgences
- ASK FATHER: Blessing sacramentals over a live stream on the internet
- 28 March – Holy Mass (TLM) Saturday 4th Week of Lent – LIVE VIDEO: 1200h CDT (GMT/UTC -5)
- LENTCAzT 2020: 31 – Saturday in the 4th Week of Lent: Reward for an act of charity.
- ASK FATHER: Best practices for following a Mass which is live-streamed on the internet or broadcast on TV
- Wherein a seriously annoyed Fr. Z rants – UPDATED
- ACTION ITEM! BISHOPS and PRIESTS – Exorcise and bless!
- Startling visuals from special “Urbi et Orbi” ceremony in Rome against the pandemic
- 27 March – Votive Mass “for the sick” – LIVE VIDEO: 1200h CDT (GMT/UTC -5)
- LENTCAzT 2020: 31 – Friday in the 4th Week of Lent: “The nature of our pride”
- 1st Space Force mission is a go
- LENTCAzT 2020: 30 – Thursday in the 4th Week of Lent: “I command you, get up!”
- Darmok and Jalad at Tanagra
- Fakebook blocking or deleting live-streamed Catholic Masses
- ROME: Famous 1522 Plague Procession Crucifix moved to St. Peter’s
- ASK FATHER: How to contact priests to serve their private Traditional Latin Masses
- YOUR URGENT PRAYER REQUESTS
- 25 March: Feast of The Good Thief, St. Dismas… who stole heaven
- 25 March – Annunciation – LIVE VIDEO: Mass at 1200h CDT (GMT/UTC -5)
- CDF DECREE: New PREFACES for the Extraordinary Form (TLM) liturgical calendar
- CDF DECREE: New SAINTS for the Extraordinary Form (TLM) liturgical calendar
- LENTCAzT 2020: 29 – Wednesday in the 4th Week of Lent & Annunciation: “She is the ‘people of God'”
- A great “wartime” Sunday Mass in my native place. Fr. Z kudos.
- Of bells and virus bell curves. Wherein Fr. Z rants.
Let us pray…
Grant unto thy Church, we beseech Thee, O merciful God, that She, being gathered together by the Holy Ghost, may be in no wise troubled by attack from her foes. O God, who by sin art offended and by penance pacified, mercifully regard the prayers of Thy people making supplication unto Thee,and turn away the scourges of Thine anger which we deserve for our sins. Almighty and Everlasting God, in whose Hand are the power and the government of every realm: look down upon and help the Christian people that the heathen nations who trust in the fierceness of their own might may be crushed by the power of thine Arm. Through our Lord Jesus Christ, Thy Son, who liveth and reigneth with Thee in the unity of the Holy Ghost, God, world without end. R. Amen.
Yes, Fr. Z is taking ads…
Because it matters what children read…
Be a “Zed-Head”!
I carry one of these super-strong rosaries in my spare mag pouch! The Swiss Guards have them too!
My "challenge coin" for my 25th anniversary of ordination in 2016.
Want one? I do exchanges with military and LEOs, etc. and you can make a donation.
PLEASE RESPOND. Pretty pleeeease?Loading ...
Please use my links when shopping! I depend on your help.
WDTPRS POLLLoading ...
“Rigid”? Pfffft. “Faithful!” No priest’s desk or kitchen is complete without one, for young, old, and priests in general.
Fr. Z’s stuff is everywhere
Help support Fr. Z’s Gospel of Life work at no cost to you. Do you need a Real Estate Agent? Calling these people is the FIRST thing you should do!
GREAT causes to support
Help Monks in Wyoming (coffee – UPDATED LINK) and Norcia (beer) and the wonderful "Soap Sisters" of Summit, NJ!
Please follow me on Twitter!
If you travel internationally, this is a super useful gizmo for your mobile internet data. I use one. If you get one through my link, I get data rewards.
Tag Archives: Australia
It believe it is more important now than ever that we return to the old-fashioned confessionals with a complete physical barrier between the penitent and confessor, with a window having a fixed grate and a curtain or something to obscure … Continue reading
From a reader… Dear Fr Z I read your Blog all the time. At the moment we have some horrendous legislation before our parliament, with voting to commence next week. The vote will be an attempt to remove all legal … Continue reading
The pressure will now rise, since Anglicans have betrayed Christian tradition and history (again). Never mind that the Church of England has cobbled up a rite of baptism that omits any reference to the Devil (HERE), now we have this … Continue reading
His Hermeneuticalness is Down Under at the moment and he caught sight of some Z-Swag! Check it out.
I think you can all find examples of how the liberal, anti-Catholic MSM, published or broadcast stories on the eve of the Conclave – stories held back until the eve of the Conclave – to hurt the Church and certain … Continue reading
Benedict XVI is the Pope of Christian Unity. From The Catholic Herald: Pope Benedict XVI has established a personal ordinariate in Australia and named a Lancashire-born former bishop of the Traditional Anglican Communion (TAC) to lead it. The ordinariate, the … Continue reading
Remember Toowoomba? The Holy Father accepted Bishop Wm. Morris’s un-proffered resignation after years of misguidance of the diocese. From CNA with my emphases and comments: Australian bishops to issue Toowoomba statement By David Kerr Vatican City, Oct 19, 2011 / … Continue reading
After I posted the story on a legislative attempt in Ireland to force priests to break the Seal of Confession, I had a few emails suggesting that I was panicking, that such a thing would never happen, that this was … Continue reading
I have often thought that the Holy Father should reach out and remove a red hat from some cardinal’s head. Just one. Pour encourager les autres, as it were. Well… perhaps from time to time. From the Australian with my … Continue reading
I have now read one of the shallowest articles yet on the new, corrected translation. It is from The Age in Australia and it written by one Barry Zwartz, a writer whose “journalistic” offerings I have had the displeasure to … Continue reading
When it comes to the selection of bishops, finding good candidates, it is the usual practice for the Nuncio, or another figure, to send questionnaires to some priests and, I suppose, lay people, asking for input. This feedback, as well … Continue reading
The Canberra Times has this Hard times: troubled bishop writes to Pope BY GRAHAM DOWNIE, RELIGION REPORTER 08 Mar, 2011 08:12 AM The parlous [“parlous”? This is somewhat obsolete version of “perilous”.] state of the Catholic Church in Australia led … Continue reading
The fruits of the “Spirit of Vatican II” are detaching from the vine. There was an article the Australian site The Age, I believe of Melbourne, about some priests who claim they will refuse to use the new, corrected translation … Continue reading
UPDATE 16 Feb 1552 GMT: From the The Age: Father Bob Maguire was the page three story in the Herald Sun with the screaming headline: ”I’ll do gay weddings.” Being a modern priest for the modern era who keeps his … Continue reading
Yes, you read that correctly. I picked up this story from an Australian source theage.com.au. I get the sense that, in the past, the local Catholic diocese in Victoria had allowed Anglicans to have ordinations in a My emphases and … Continue reading