Search Fr. Z’s Blog
SHOPPING ONLINE? Please, come here first!
Your use of my Amazon link is a major part of my income. It helps to pay for insurance, groceries, everything. Please remember me when shopping online. Thanks in advance.
Try AmazonFresh Free Trial
Shop Amazon Gold Box - New Deals. Everyday
Shop Amazon Gift Cards - Instant Delivery or Free One-Day Shipping
Try Prime Discounted Monthly Offering
And you do need a Kindle! - HERE
Kindle Unlimited Membership Plans
About this blog…
“This blog is like a fusion of the Baroque ‘salon’ with its well-tuned harpsichord around which polite society gathered for entertainment and edification and, on the other hand, a Wild West “saloon” with its out-of-tune piano and swinging doors, where everyone has a gun and something to say. Nevertheless, we try to point our discussions back to what it is to be Catholic in this increasingly difficult age, to love God, and how to get to heaven.” – Fr. Z
Coat of Arms by D Burkart
Do you want to show some appreciation?
YOUR RECENT COMMENTS
- jaykay: Even the BBC website says Lizzie executed as many Catholics as Mary did heretics: https://ww w.bbc.co.u k/bitesize /guides/zr pcwmn/revi sion/6 Ok, she didn’ ;t burn ’em but...
- grateful: “Mar y, Mother of Jesus, please be a mother to me now” St Mother Teresa
- SPWang: Out of interest, would attending this pilgrimage satisfy the requiremen ts of EOHSJ members to make a pilgrimage to the Holy Land? (And thereby obtaining the pilgrims shell?) [Yes, I̵...
- oledocfarmer: Father, thank you and God bless you for all the good you do. I KNEW that these Red Books tended to be maybe a lil “Jan senistR 21; on the posture front. Kneeling through the...
- iPadre: That is wonderful. I just returned. Life changing. Prayers for you all.
- KateD: * ????/????? apparently that script is all Greek to the system.
- KateD: Roma247, Sorry about the freak out. According to a guide purchased at the Vatican bookstore (ROMA SACRA: Soprintend enza Per i Beni Artistici e Storici di Roma, Itinerary 25; April 2003)...
- Luminis: As an American who lived on the EU for 10 years I agree with this statement percent!
- Spinmamma: How I wish I could be there. My prayers will be, though. May you all have a wonderful experience .
- Ms. M-S: I don’ t know what the rules are (if any) for participat ing in a pilgrimage in spirit, but I’m willing to bet you’ ll have a goodly crowd of associate pilgrims praying...
- SanSan: Have a blessed and safe trip. May your pilgrimage bring enlightenm ent to all that participat e. Thank you for your prayers Father.
- Kathleen10: Absolutely . God be with you all every step of the way and back home again. I’m looking forward to photos!
- JustaSinner: But think about the children, and Gaia and the planet and that HUGE carbon footprint! Oh the humanity! Oh Global Warming!
- JonPatrick: I wonder if removing the tapestries is just so that they can be preserved. I;m sure being out in the Rome air instead of a climate controlled location is not good for them. This fall we...
- JonPatrick: Here in the JonPatrick household we only brew Mystic Monk coffee. There is nothing else like it. In fact I find it hard to drink ordinary coffee in restaurant s anymore, it now tastes...
- Fr. Charles A. F.: Giordano Bruno, IMHO, amply deserved his fate, as cardinal Giovanni Mercati also stated in 1942. In Early Modern Europe, they didn’ ;t burn you just for being a heretic; you...
- Clinton R.: If heretics were burned at the stake now, we’d be warm from the glow all winter long.
- Elizium23: I am not sure how it plays out in common practice, but when I was becoming acquainted with the Byzantine Rite Divine Liturgy, I became aware that the faithful were quite accustomed to...
- Fallibilissimo: The statue isn’ t too bad Fr. I’m not a fan of the pedestal (like nearly everything from that era, it’s disrespect ful of the style of Rome), but the statue is...
- KateD: *I pointed
- KateD: roma247, OMGosh! I just read! They were given to the Orthodox?! ? How is that even POSSIBLE?! ? This is more upsetting that just about anything else I’ve heard about this pontificat e. THEY...
- Fr. John Zuhlsdorf: It seems to me that that’s the statue of a heretic. And a repulsive statue to boot.
- dmflinn: You must be kidding are you advocating the burning of people who are thought to be a heretic?
- Deacon Nicholas: As I understand the situation, two Christians who used to be Roman Catholic converted to Orthodoxy and are getting married in the Orthodox Church. If that is correct, than y̵...
- scholastica: https://an geluspress .org/colle ctions/tri dentine-ma ss/product s/10-pack- sunday-mis sal-bookle t This is a great product by SSPX publishing arm. You can be sure they never forgot...
Fr. Z’s VOICEMAIL
Nota bene: I do not answer these numbers or this Skype address. You won't get me "live". I check for messages regularly.
020 8133 4535
Don’t rely on popes, bishops and priests.
“Who is going to save our Church? Not our bishops, not our priests and religious. It is up to you, the people. You have the minds, the eyes, and the ears to save the Church. Your mission is to see that your priests act like priests, your bishops act like bishops.”
- Fulton Sheen
Therefore, ACTIVATE YOUR CONFIRMATION and get to work!
Send Snail Mail to Fr. Z
“The modern habit of doing ceremonial things unceremoniously is no proof of humility; rather it proves the offender's inability to forget himself in the rite, and his readiness to spoil for every one else the proper pleasure of ritual.”
- C.S. Lewis
This blog has to earn its keep!
PLEASE subscribe if it is useful.
That way I have steady income I can plan on, and you wind up regularly on my list of benefactors for whom I pray and for whom I periodically say Holy Mass.
For a one time donation...
I set up a
CONTINUE TO GIVE
account, which functions rather like PayPal. Some of you use it. Here is a QCode you can use with your smart phones. Try it!
Also, to receive a link to donate via Continue To Give using your smart phone SEND MESSAGE:
4827563 TO: 715-803-4772 (USA)
Some donations also come through CHASE. That works well. I don't think they take any percentage as fees.
I was at this conference last year. I’ll probably go this year! That’s how enjoyable it was. I’ve marked my calendar.
As for Latin…
"But if, in any layman who is indeed imbued with literature, ignorance of the Latin language, which we can truly call the 'catholic' language, indicates a certain sluggishness in his love toward the Church, how much more fitting it is that each and every cleric should be adequately practiced and skilled in that language!" - Pius XI
"Let us realize that this remark of Cicero (Brutus 37, 140) can be in a certain way referred to [young lay people]: 'It is not so much a matter of distinction to know Latin as it is disgraceful not to know it.'" - St. John Paul II
CLICK and say your daily offerings!
- Pilgrimage to the Holy Land
- 17 February 1600: Giordano Bruno’s date with the stake
- JUST TOO COOL: All 12 Raphael Tapestries back in the Sistine Chapel
- Fathers! Votive options on Tuesday and Thursday after Sexagesima: Passion of the Lord and Reparation for Insults against the Eucharist
- Your Sunday Sermon Notes: Sexagesima and 6th Ordinary 2020
- Olive branches between Francis and Card. Müller
- ASK FATHER: What are the authentic rubrics, postures for lay people at the Traditional Latin Mass. Are we doing it wrong?
- All those synodizers, those dreamers of process, get a key thing wrong
- Card. Zen, Cops, and a Cappa Magna
- WDTPRS – Sexagesima Sunday: Some make it but many do not.
- After Querida Amazonia, Francis isn’t flavor of the month with seriously disappointed libs
- WDTPRS – 6th Sunday of Ordinary Time: “kissing the porch”
- Wherein Fr. Z responds cordially to The Remnant’s polite response – #UniteTheClans
- ASK FATHER: Adoption and “rescue” of frozen IVF embryos in cryogenic oppression through surrogate motherhood
- VIDEO – On EWTN – Fr. Murray and Dr. Royal about Exhortation, devastating interview with Card. Zen about China
- A priest is diagnosed with a brain tumor. See how he reacted.
- ASK FATHER: Two Catholics getting married in the Orthodox Church
- One year ago…. Opportunity was declared dead.
- New book by Francis strongly endorses priestly celibacy. Will Beans, Austen and crowd apologize to Card. Sarah and Benedict XVI?
- Something to warm up the heart a little
- ACTION ITEM! The “Birettas for Seminarians Project” needs URGENT ATTENTION!
- Thoughts about the Amazon Synod (“walking together”) document. Wherein Fr. Z opines also on something sad about #Bookgate
- 11 February 2013 – Benedict XVI announced abdication
- YOUR URGENT PRAYER REQUESTS
- Getting things straight about the book by Card. Sarah and Benedict XVI
- Priestly, not prissily.
- Why does Francis partner with JEFFREY SACHS?
- The German Synod (“walking together”): the culmination of German alienation from authentic Church renewal
- Your Sunday Sermon Notes: Septuagesima and 5th Ordinary 2020
- ACTION ITEM: Help a Catholic blogger colleague – UPDATED!
Let us pray…
Grant unto thy Church, we beseech Thee, O merciful God, that She, being gathered together by the Holy Ghost, may be in no wise troubled by attack from her foes. O God, who by sin art offended and by penance pacified, mercifully regard the prayers of Thy people making supplication unto Thee,and turn away the scourges of Thine anger which we deserve for our sins. Almighty and Everlasting God, in whose Hand are the power and the government of every realm: look down upon and help the Christian people that the heathen nations who trust in the fierceness of their own might may be crushed by the power of thine Arm. Through our Lord Jesus Christ, Thy Son, who liveth and reigneth with Thee in the unity of the Holy Ghost, God, world without end. R. Amen.
Yes, Fr. Z is taking ads…
Because it matters what children read…
Be a “Zed-Head”!
I carry one of these super-strong rosaries in my spare mag pouch! The Swiss Guards have them too!
My "challenge coin" for my 25th anniversary of ordination in 2016.
Want one? I do exchanges with military and LEOs, etc. and you can make a donation.
PLEASE RESPOND. Pretty pleeeease?Loading ...
Please use my links when shopping! I depend on your help.
WDTPRS POLLLoading ...
“Rigid”? Pfffft. “Faithful!” No priest’s desk or kitchen is complete without one, for young, old, and priests in general.
Fr. Z’s stuff is everywhere
Help support Fr. Z’s Gospel of Life work at no cost to you. Do you need a Real Estate Agent? Calling these people is the FIRST thing you should do!
GREAT causes to support
Help Monks in Wyoming (coffee – UPDATED LINK) and Norcia (beer) and the wonderful "Soap Sisters" of Summit, NJ!
Please follow me on Twitter!
If you travel internationally, this is a super useful gizmo for your mobile internet data. I use one. If you get one through my link, I get data rewards.
Tag Archives: sermon
Was there a good point made in the sermon during your Mass of Sunday obligation? Let us know. Today I had the pleasure of being deacon for this morning’s Solemn Mass. One of the local priests had, at the last … Continue reading
Here is a quick PODCAzT partly to get me going again and partly because the topic really got my mind going. Today we hear from Martin Mosebach’s wondrous The Heresy of Formlessness: The Roman Liturgy and Its Enemy (Revised and … Continue reading
Was there a good point made during the sermon you heard for this 1st Sunday of Lent? Let us know. Mine… If the audio didn’t play immediately, refresh. I had the wrong link for the audio file for a few … Continue reading
Sometimes I post “good news” posts. We all need good news for a change, right? One piece of good news gets special notice today. My good friend Fr. Tim Finigan, PP of Margate, is posting more often again at his exceptional … Continue reading
From a reader… At mass on Sunday, after the congregation stood for the Gospel, the pastor asked us all to sit because he was going to combine his sermon with the Gospel. The best way to describe it is to … Continue reading
Was there a good point made in the sermon you heard for your Mass of Sunday Obligation for this 1st Sunday of Lent? Let us know! For my part… well… here it is. Since I am in LENTCAzT mode, I … Continue reading
From a reader… QUAERITUR: It has happened at least two times now where our pastor has preached 30 second homily and then says, ” and now our resident seminarian will offer some words on today’s gospel. ” The seminarian then … Continue reading
I am not eager to do many posts like this, but here is an exception. This interests me because of the state of preaching in these USA. I received an email from a reader… + Hello, Father! My name is … Continue reading
From a reader… QUAERITUR: I have a serious question. Should a nun w or wo a habit (I got wo habit of course) be allowed to give a homily by the priest who just got done reading the Gospel. I was under … Continue reading
From a reader… QUAERITUR: Last night the priest saying Mass, said that a nun who was the head of a Theology department at a university could dictate who had faculties to say a homily at the university church. So the … Continue reading
First, you might scan what I wrote back on 5 July 2013 about these canonizations. Wherein Fr. Z explains what is really going on with the canonizations of John XXIII and John Paul II I can add another element, below. … Continue reading
From a reader. QUAERITUR: What does a laywoman do if the Priest or layperson (this has happened) giving the homily at a mission starts promoting so called “same sex marraige” or trashing the teachings of the Church? Walk out? Take … Continue reading
From a reader: Today, the priest gave an overtly political homily that I have no doubt you would have found highly inappropriate. Think Fr. Michael Pfelger of Chicago. I sat through it in stunned disbelief but some got up and … Continue reading
I had a useful and edifying experience today. In a way what happened today dovetails with what I experienced a week or so ago when I carried the Blessed Sacrament for Corpus Christi in the streets of Manhattan. But I’ll … Continue reading