Search Fr. Z’s Blog
SHOPPING ONLINE? Please, always come here first!Enter Amazon through my link, the image below (they took away our search box!), and I will get a small percentage of what you spend. (Pssst - Can't see it? Turn off your "ad-blocker" for this site!)
Here's a generic "catholic" search start point for Amazon:
And you do need a Kindle! - HERE
“This blog is like a fusion of the Baroque ‘salon’ with its well-tuned harpsichord around which polite society gathered for entertainment and edification and, on the other hand, a Wild West “saloon” with its out-of-tune piano and swinging doors, where everyone has a gun and something to say. Nevertheless, we try to point our discussions back to what it is to be Catholic in this increasingly difficult age, to love God, and how to get to heaven.” – Fr. Z
YOUR RECENT COMMENTS
- Atra Dicenda, Rubra Agenda: Father, various commenters have expressed Rite specific norms. What is normative, by Rite, for the Deacon?
- Ave Crux: Its rather astounding . That’ ;s not a simple dance by any means and they’ ;re all in perfect unison. I found it amazing. If the Faith could but harness the fervor and enthusi...
- Blackfriar: I like to see dalmatics worn, and would encourage them in the ordinary form. However, readers should be aware that in the extraordin ary form of the Dominican Rite – and perhaps...
- Quanah: “Glo ria has to do with man’s recognitio n of God as God. Gloria is a characteri stic of God which He will share with us so as to transform us throughout eternity.& #8221; What a...
- Suburbanbanshee: (I think the reason you always see Victorian people exercising in white clothes is that you could bleach white clothes more easily. Of course, maybe they wore other colors when...
- Suburbanbanshee: First off, nobody should be doing anything in the sanctuary that involves exercises. Obviously. Second, all that hatha yoga stuff is actually something that late 19th and early...
- mcferran: A response based upon liturgical law might be more helpful. The GIRM states (338 Canada): “The vestment proper to the Deacon is the dalmatic, worn over the alb and stole; howev...
- tho: In my lifetime, the Host, and any altar cloth, or for that matter anything material or human that touched the Host, without consecrate d hands, had to be scrubbed by a priest, who was the only...
- robtbrown: In the above comment “def initive 221; is a Latin adverb meaning definitive ly.
- robtbrown: Addendum: Acc. to Cardinal Ratzinger& #8217;s explanatio n, the Infallibil ity of Ordinatio Sacerdotal is lies in its status within the Ordinary Universal Magisteriu m. As I noted above,...
- Fr_Sotelo: Just when I think I’ve read it all, seen it all. Telling the deacon not to wear the dalmatic? I think the deacons look great in the dalmatic!
- ThePapalCount: It seems that many priests are apprehensi ve about having deacons around. I know of a priest who refused to allow a deacon to preach for over a year, despite the fact that the deacon...
- AndyMo: “In the Third Millennium , the argument from authority is no longer sufficient . There are too many educated Catholics. ” First of all, chronologi cal snobbery is hardly more...
- frjim4321: Very clever idea. The public school where we have our religious ed classes has something a little simpler on the door jambs; a metal plate; I not sure how it works. I would also like to...
- TonyO: Pretty nice invention. Good job, Justin. Of course, it does have limitation s. First, it depends on making base plates that match with the specific door jamb and wall location, so it cannot...
- clarinetist04: There certainly are politics at play, no doubt, but to cast Msgr. Rossi as not allowing the EF in “his ShrineR 21; is unfair at best. They have the EF mass every week, the...
- Grateful to be Catholic: These poor deluded women are the victims of clericalis m. They think it’s about power and so do the men who enable them. As someone else says, sad.
- clare joseph: Thank you, Emilio III, for clarifying all this so well. It’s a joy to see so many young people dancing so beautifull y in honor of Our Lady.
- HvonBlumenthal: Nobody reads Revelation these days but it is clear that in the Heavenly liturgy depicted there the 24 Elders do not just kneel in the presence of the Lamb, they prostrate themsel...
- HvonBlumenthal: Your four categories cover it brilliantl y. Even Anglicans receive their « host » « meekly kneeling on their knees » according to the Book of Commin Prayer. And though they genera...
- APX: acardinal, I can’ t speak for the US, but at my former high school (and other high schools I’m told from my mom when she goes in to sub teach at them) it has become a joke. Home...
- Suburbanbanshee: Fr. Jim — As a woman, I find your remarks insulting. Why should women abandon their unique roles and importance , in favor of becoming exactly like men? Do you think that we...
- JabbaPapa: Well said robtbrown — it might be worth adding that the Eastern spiritual teachers themselves also denounce this westernise d “spi ritual yoga” ; as being a perver...
- JustaSinner: As a former Marine Drill Instructor once said at OCS, “Thi s s@$t is getting real!̶ 1; With that in mind, I know Jesus has asked me to turn the other cheek to my enemies, but...
- JabbaPapa: frjim4321 : I know the reasons, as stated, and I don’t find them convincing . Infallibil ity from the chair was not asserted with regard to this matter. In FACT Pope Saint John Paul II...
CLICK and say your daily offerings!
- LENTCAzT 2018 12 – 2nd Sunday of Lent: Saved in hope
- ASK FATHER: Priest forbids a deacon to wear a dalmatic
- LENTCAzT 2018 11 – Ember Saturday in the 1st Week of Lent: Man’s first full day was a day of rest
- WDTPRS – 2nd Sunday of Lent (NO): Having a really good look
- Wisconsin High School student invents classroom door stop
- LENTCAzT 2018 10 – Ember Friday in the 1st Week of Lent: You cannot save yourself for the world
- Card. Sarah: return to Communion directly on the tongue while kneeling
- JUST TOO COOL: Recently received missal stand and statue of Our Lady
- Wherein Rutler thrashes @AntonioSpadaro
- BRAZIL: Did these bishops allow women to concelebrate Mass?
- Promoted by @JamesMartinSJ – Jesuits have yoga in church sanctuary at a school
- LENTCAzT 2018 09 – Thursday in the 1st Week of Lent: The inexhaustible virtue of the Word
- Fr. Murray on “lived experience”, “accompaniment”, “conscience”
- More news from the New catholic Red Guard
- Making the Church appealing. What “sells”?
- LENTCAzT 2018 08 – Wednesday in the 1st Week of Lent: Never ending combat
- 20 Feb – Feast of Sts Francisco and Jacinta of Fatima
- Of “paradigm shift” interest
- Spain: young people dancing a jota in reparation for blasphemy against the Blessed Virgin
- Mega-Masses and too many Hosts
- The State v. Self-Reliance
- LENTCAzT 2018 07 – Tuesday in the 1st Week of Lent: subtle temptation
- Attacks on the family
- My View For Awhile: Capital Edition
- Books for boys. Suggested titles and an additional point.
- LENTCAzT 2018 06 – Monday in the 1st Week of Lent: “I warned you!”
- Wherein Fr Longenecker schools @JamesMartinSJ
- Your Sunday Sermon Notes
- WDTPRS 1st Sunday of Lent (N.O.): The Lenten “Sacrament”
- LENTCAzT 2018 05 – 1st Sunday of Lent: Anger and Reason
Let us pray…
Grant unto thy Church, we beseech Thee, O merciful God, that She, being gathered together by the Holy Ghost, may be in no wise troubled by attack from her foes. O God, who by sin art offended and by penance pacified, mercifully regard the prayers of Thy people making supplication unto Thee,and turn away the scourges of Thine anger which we deserve for our sins. Almighty and Everlasting God, in whose Hand are the power and the government of every realm: look down upon and help the Christian people that the heathen nations who trust in the fierceness of their own might may be crushed by the power of thine Arm. Through our Lord Jesus Christ, Thy Son, who liveth and reigneth with Thee in the unity of the Holy Ghost, God, world without end. R. Amen.
New miscellaneous releases and events
Yes, Fr. Z is taking ads…
A great hymnal…
Because it matters what children read…
I carry one of these super-strong rosaries in my spare mag pouch! The Swiss Guards have them too!
Because you don’t know when you are going to need to move fast or get along without the supermarket…
PLEASE RESPOND. Pretty pleeeease?Loading ...
WDTPRS POLLLoading ...
Fr. Z’s stuff is everywhere
Help support Fr. Z’s Gospel of Life work at no cost to you. Do you need a Real Estate Agent? Calling these people is the FIRST thing you should do!
GREAT causes to support
Help Monks in Wyoming (coffee – UPDATED LINK) and Norcia (beer) and the wonderful "Soap Sisters" of Summit, NJ!
Please follow me on Twitter!
If you travel internationally, this is a super useful gizmo for your mobile internet data. I use one. If you get one through my link, I get data rewards.
A book by an old friend…
Monthly Archives: May 2008
I got this urgent question by e-mail:
Fr. Z – I am a transitional Deacon preparing for Ordination and First Mass on June 28 and 29 respectively. I would like my friend, who is an installed acolyte and fellow seminarian to … Continue reading
I received this by e-mail from a priest:
Long time reader, first time questioner.
I’ve been celebrating the TLM since Winter ’06.
In my parish, I celebrate the TLM on Tuesdays and Sundays for the faithful. My question … Continue reading
I received word from a close friend, the great Roman, Fabrizio Azzola, who also helps staff the COL Forum, that his latest child, wisely named “John”, has been baptized, the first child to be so brought into the firm embrace … Continue reading
I got this by e-mail. If you have some German, check out this blog!
Dear Fr. Zuhlsdorf,
just wanted to tell you, I liked your "Pope Benedict is changing the conversation" so much, I translated and republished [here].
Keep on your good work!
Mit … Continue reading
Everything is up to date in Kansas City.
They’ve gone just about as far as they can…. with building their beautiful new altars for Old St. Patrick’s Church in downtown KC.
This is the church which H.E. Most Reverend Robert Finn has … Continue reading
The conclusion of the month dedicated to Mary was broadcast, live, this evening from the Piazza of San Pietro.
The Holy Father came at the end and gave a splendid brief reflection.
I got this by e-mail:
Two Masses this Weekend I’m happy to announce that the Extraordinary Form will be available both in Birmingham and in Huntsville this Sunday, June 1.
Bishop David Foley will offer Low Mass in … Continue reading
First things first.
I am very grateful to a couple readers who have enriched my life with new books and … a good thermos!
PP of CA was very kind and found a thermos on my amazon wish list. This … Continue reading
The Liturgical Bee has received a challenge from a waspish, a-liturgical wasp.
This is from KK of KC.
I am reminded of an entry a while back where someone said of another person that s\he was being "waspish". There was a misunderstanding, … Continue reading
From a reader:
Today, during Holy Mass, I went to confession. The priest told me to say my Act of contrition, then he would absolve me. So, as I started to say it, he began to whisper something in Latin. … Continue reading
I received a question from a reader…. a very long, convoluted question (please keep them short or I just can’t wade through them), and so I edited it:
Dear Fr. Z, In my home parish we are trying to get some … Continue reading
Prayer for Priests
Lord Jesus, present in the Most Blessed Sacrament,and living perpetually among us through Your Priests,grant that the words of Your Priests may be only Your words,that their gestures be only Your gestures,and that their lives be a true … Continue reading
Vatican Congregation for the Clergy Theme for World Day of Prayer for the Sanctification of Priests May 30, 2008 by Cardinal Claudio Hummes
Reverend and dear Brothers in the Priesthood, On the Feast of the Sacred Heart of Jesus let us fix the … Continue reading
DECREE ON CELEBRATION OF THE CONVERSION OF ST. PAUL
VATICAN CITY, 30 MAY 2008 (VIS) – The Congregation for Divine Worship and the Discipline of the Sacraments today published a decree authorising the celebration, on 25 January 2009, of Mass for … Continue reading
I’ll begin putting up some images. Comments to follow.
Let it be said that I am grateful grateful grateful that they simply broadcast the live feed, without commentary over it!
Thank you EWTN. Thank you!
First, I don’t think … Continue reading
Holy Church doesn’t promulgate laws about censures simply for the heck of it. There is long experience behind censures. Laws have theological grounding.
The tougher censures are applied when the matter concerns something closer to the heart of who and what … Continue reading
Congregation for the Doctrine of the Faith
General DecreeOn the delict of attempted sacred ordination of a woman
The Congregation for the Doctrine of the Faith, in virtue of the special faculty granted to it by the Supreme Authority of the Church … Continue reading
Taking a hint from a recent entry, this is in from our WDTPRS photoshoper Vincenzo:
Spring at the Sabine Farm seems at last to be in full swing, though the nights are still very chilly indeed.
The Red Bellied Woodpecker is getting some high nutrition snacks from the suet cage.
… Continue reading
People often use the word "schism" to describe the irregular situation of the bishops and priests of the SSPX. They have reason to. In his 1988 Motu Proprio Ecclesia Dei adflicta, Pope John Paul II used the word "schism".
Today, … Continue reading