Search Fr. Z’s Blog
SHOPPING ONLINE? Please, always come here first!
Enter Amazon through my link. Use the search bar below. Fr Z will get a small percentage of what you spend.
Here's Fr. Z's "catholic" search for Amazon: US HERE - UK HERE And you do need a Kindle! - HERE
“This blog is like a fusion of the Baroque ‘salon’ with its well-tuned harpsichord around which polite society gathered for entertainment and edification and, on the other hand, a Wild West “saloon” with its out-of-tune piano and swinging doors, where everyone has a gun and something to say. Nevertheless, we try to point our discussions back to what it is to be Catholic in this increasingly difficult age, to love God, and how to get to heaven.” – Fr. Z
Coat of Arms by D Burkart
YOUR RECENT COMMENTS
- Sportsfan: It’s sad for me to think that he would probably do a better job than the Vatican has done.
- Charles E Flynn: https://ww w.change.o rg/p/cardi nal-cupich -must-resi gn
- Fr. John: I have been wondering how long it would take for someone to make this connection .
- Kathleen10: Fr. Z., thank you for reminding us of these now ignored realities. Most Catholics would not hear of such things except here.
- Kathleen10: A student at Providence College (where the amazing Anthony Esolen taught until he was harassed into leaving) had a similar issue not long ago. The student simply defended marriage as...
- Marion Ancilla Mariae II: My post of early this morning (2:20 AM) was false and unjust, for I painted our situation with too broad a brush. It’s not true that in the Church in the U.S. there...
- Joy65: We had a Priest from Cross Catholic Outreach come and speak to us about helping the poor.
- aviva meriam: Allow me to make a few assumption s: 1. That the reporting at CM was accurate and the threats were heard by witnesses 2. Reporting at CM was accurate and priest was ordered into psych...
- allenr74: What can a lay person do when staying in a hotel room? Just sprinkle holy water around the room? Is there a prayer we can say too? Prayer to St. Michael, perhaps?
- scotus: Well, I lost track of the number of times the priest used the word sin or a variation of it (sins, sinfulness ). Must have been at least six times if not more. He was preaching on the...
- Imrahil: Our priest gave an excellent sermon on the term “the richness of grace̶ 1; from the Epistle (18th S. p. P, TLM, 1 Corinthian s): what does grace mean? Some might say that we...
- arcillajohn: I too have been having nightmares , of a demonic nature too.
- WmHesch: Is any permission at all needed for exorcisms of places (infestati on)? CIC 1172 seems specifical ly limited to energumens
- hwriggles4: I am wondering if there is an Anglican Ordinariat e parish within the Archdioces e of Chicago. Why? One priest at my parish is a Pastoral Provision priest (i.e. former Episcopali an)...
- scotus: I particular ly liked this contributi on from the theologian : “Thi s naturalism is also evidenced in the document 8217;s preoccupat ion with the following considerat ions: global...
- Dismas: @KateD – Laws in Chicago do not apply to those opposed to sodomy. @maternalV iew – Cardinal Cupich isn’ t going down that rabbit hole.
- Fr. Reader: @Marion AM. I am talking more about formal authority than moral authority, but that is a very good point.
- Marion Ancilla Mariae II: On a sidenote: Fr. Reader characteri zed the undergroun d Church in China thus: “In many cases, together with strong piety there is no authority at all, no doctri...
- excalibur: Cardinal: Pope is ‘ice cold, sly Machiavell ian, and, what is worse – he lies’ https://ww w.lifesite news.com/b logs/cardi nal-pope-i s-ice-cold -sly-machi avellian-a nd-what-is -worse...
- mbarry: Thank you all very much for your help! May God bless all of you all in abundance!
- maternalView: My old parish has been dying for years and I’m not quite sure how or why it’s still around. They have once a week Eucharist adoration and they’ ;ve had reasona...
- maternalView: Fr. Kalchik is an abuse survivor. Surely the Cardinal could show a little more mercy and accompanim ent than that! So the takeaway is the Cardinal ISN’ T on the side of abuse...
- Rob83: Sometimes there is a palpable sense that something is not right. I had that experience in Rome one night many years ago. A man approached , grasped the cup I was holding, said a few words I...
- Cicero_NOLA: Can anyone recommend a book or resource on Our Lady of Akita? I went this spring before moving back from Japan to the US, but had trouble finding something to help me prepare. Fr...
- Anita Moore, O.P.(lay): Being put in a mental institutio n was a routine punishment in the Soviet Union.
CLICK and say your daily offerings!
- If government leaders in China can now choose bishops, then in these USA…
- Francis trades quips with Polish photographer in Vilnius
- Your Sunday Sermon Notes
- Archbp. Chaput of @ArchPhilly on upcoming Synod’s working document. Concerns.
- UPDATE – @ArchChicago parish burns a “rainbow flag”
- THIS IS WAR! Wherein Fr. Z calls on bishops and priests to FIGHT BACK as priests and bishops!
- Akita, Communion in the hand, and homosexuality
- Card. Zen on the “Provisional Agreement” with the PRC on Bishops
- WDTPRS – 25th Ordinary Sunday: Each love fuels the other, when love of God is first.
- VIDEO: Fr. Murray on aspects of The Present Crisis
- ASK FATHER: Adding water to Holy Water
- ASK FATHER: If in letters Benedict XVI imparts still the Apostolic Blessing…
- A story of spectacular complexity, involving shady people, huge money, interlocking directorates, vast loans, and the Papal Foundation.
- One Mad Mom spanks James Martin, LGBTSJ – UPDATED
- Bishop R. Walker Nickless of Sioux City on #ViganoTestimony
- And now a word from our sponsor…
- BOOKS RECEIVED: Vatican I: The Council and the Making of the Ultramontane Church
- The upcoming Synod’s “working document”
- ASK FATHER: Should we pray for or against the success of the Synod?
- What passes for important today.
- YOU are other people. It’s always someone else… until it’s YOU.
- ASK FATHER: Are we are in the End Times?
- Fr. Murray’s Open Letter to ex-Card. McCarrick. Wherein Fr. Z rants.
- Cri de Coeur about lost innocence and The Present Crisis
- Card. Müller: “the real danger to today’s humanity is the greenhouse gases of sin and the global warming of unbelief”
- Thoughts on fatherhood and how priestly identity is undercut by short terms as pastors
- More Jesuit idiocy – BUT WAIT! There’s more!
- Henry Sire: “Archbishop Viganò is now living in fear of his life, quite literally.”
- ASK FATHER: Can a Dominican Tertiary priest use the Dominican Rite?
- Lay Rage in Chicago, Mary Eberstadt takes names, and Fr. Z rants
Let us pray…
Grant unto thy Church, we beseech Thee, O merciful God, that She, being gathered together by the Holy Ghost, may be in no wise troubled by attack from her foes. O God, who by sin art offended and by penance pacified, mercifully regard the prayers of Thy people making supplication unto Thee,and turn away the scourges of Thine anger which we deserve for our sins. Almighty and Everlasting God, in whose Hand are the power and the government of every realm: look down upon and help the Christian people that the heathen nations who trust in the fierceness of their own might may be crushed by the power of thine Arm. Through our Lord Jesus Christ, Thy Son, who liveth and reigneth with Thee in the unity of the Holy Ghost, God, world without end. R. Amen.
This blog has to earn its keep!
New miscellaneous releases and events
Yes, Fr. Z is taking ads…
A great hymnal…
Because it matters what children read…
I carry one of these super-strong rosaries in my spare mag pouch! The Swiss Guards have them too!
My "challenge coin" for my 25th anniversary of ordination in 2016.
Want one? I do exchanges with military and LEOs, etc. and you can make a donation.
Because you don’t know when you are going to need to move fast or get along without the supermarket…
PLEASE RESPOND. Pretty pleeeease?Loading ...
WDTPRS POLLLoading ...
Fr. Z’s stuff is everywhere
Help support Fr. Z’s Gospel of Life work at no cost to you. Do you need a Real Estate Agent? Calling these people is the FIRST thing you should do!
GREAT causes to support
Help Monks in Wyoming (coffee – UPDATED LINK) and Norcia (beer) and the wonderful "Soap Sisters" of Summit, NJ!
Please follow me on Twitter!
If you travel internationally, this is a super useful gizmo for your mobile internet data. I use one. If you get one through my link, I get data rewards.
Monthly Archives: July 2008
Here are a few links to posts that might be of greatest interest. I am very grateful to those of you who have used the donation button. Please be assured that I remember you in my prayers, as one … Continue reading
This is in from The Catholic League:
July 31, 2008
UNIV. OF MINN. CHANCELLOR ON MYERS: HE’S IN THE CLEAR
On July 25, the University of Minnesota (UMN) at Morris issued a statement by its chancellor, Jacqueline Johnson, which began with the following … Continue reading
Today in La Repubblica there was an interview by Marco Politi with His Excellency Archbp. Malcolm Ranjith, Secretary of the Congregation for Divine Worship and Discipline of the Sacraments.
There is a lot here that will be familiar to readers of … Continue reading
There is some nice video from Stefano Maria Paci and SKY TG24 of the Holy Father on vacation in Bressanone, Italy with his brother Msgr. Georg Ratzinger, later joined by the other Msgr. Georg, the private secretary. The three of … Continue reading
Our friends at Rorate have posted a very interesting interview with Prof. Luc Perrin at the Univ. of Strasbourg about the state of the question of the SSPX, Summorum Pontificum, unity, a year after the Motu Proprio and twenty years … Continue reading
I received this from a reader.
Good questions are raised in the wake of Summorum Pontificum and "Save the Liturgy Save the World", as well as "Say the Black Do the Red" and many other of the points I raise … Continue reading
You should definitely go over and visit the site of the gentlemanly Sandro Magister.
Today he has provided us with an English version of the speech Walter Card. Kasper delivered at the Anglican Lambeth meeting in his capacity as President of … Continue reading
UPDATE: 31 July 15:28 GMT:I closed the combox here. Go to this entry for the full text and discussion of Card. Kasper’s talk at Lambeth.
This just in:
Vatican cardinal: Catholic-Anglican dialog has ‘taken a step backwards’
Anglican Archbishop Rowan Williams / … Continue reading
Annoying, but sadly true. Here is a story from Kentucky’s Lexington Herald-Leader.
My emphases and comments.
Oh… btw… there is a poll at that newpaper site… if you get my drift.
Jessamine woman to be ordained a priestBy Jim NiemiHerald-Leader Religion … Continue reading
I just wrote this for my weekly column, WDTPRS, for The Wanderer.
After an explanation of the theological difference between aeterne and sempiterne Deus, which involved Augustine and Boethius, I paused for a moment and said…
Indulge me, dear readers. Occasionally … Continue reading
One of the WDTPRSers sent me a copy of an interesting response to a question put to the Pontifical Commission Ecclesia Dei.
I don’t have the original letter of the sender containing the question(s), but we can perhaps discern what was … Continue reading
Today we are joined by the mighty Doctor of Grace, St. Augustine of Hippo (+430).
He preaches to us from sermo 103 about the tension of the contemplative life and the active life, about being attentive to the needs of … Continue reading
His Holiness will be able to relax for his August break in a place well-known to him.
Hopefully he will be able to finish the second volume of Jesus of Nazareth and get something done on the "social" encyclical.
This is … Continue reading
Yes, folks, some things are more central to the Church’s life than others.
For example, what the Vatican police wear.
The gendarme of the Vatican have a new look.
Here is the design. Note that the shape of the hat has changed, as … Continue reading