Search Fr. Z’s Blog
SHOPPING ONLINE? Please, always come here first!
Enter Amazon through my link. Use the search bar below. Fr Z will get a small percentage of what you spend.
Here's Fr. Z's "catholic" search for Amazon: US HERE - UK HERE And you do need a Kindle! - HERE
“This blog is like a fusion of the Baroque ‘salon’ with its well-tuned harpsichord around which polite society gathered for entertainment and edification and, on the other hand, a Wild West “saloon” with its out-of-tune piano and swinging doors, where everyone has a gun and something to say. Nevertheless, we try to point our discussions back to what it is to be Catholic in this increasingly difficult age, to love God, and how to get to heaven.” – Fr. Z
Coat of Arms by D Burkart
YOUR RECENT COMMENTS
- AndyMo: “in the Novus Ordo, the Creed seems to be back.̶ 1; Is there some specific directive in the new-feast NO celebratio n that indicates the addition of the Creed? Because in the NO,...
- Dismas: In a word, no. I expect a poorer ratio of courageous , faithful bishops than was tallied in England around 1534. Courage, like any other virtue, becomes flaccid and atrophied when not...
- philosophicallyfrank: We should not be surprised by what is a continuall y growing effort to destroy the Church. There have been two Apparition s of the Blessed Mother since WWII when She foret...
- Dismas: What, no “Meh ” or “I 8217;m not touching this with a thirty foot pole” ; options?
- philosophicallyfrank: We tend to be critical of many who add & subtract from what the Ordinary Form was suppose to be; so, we, who appreciate the Extraordin ary Form, need to seek desired...
- Anita Moore, O.P.(lay): In countries that have purported to outlaw the seal of the confession al it will be even worse than we think. Because the only way for the government to know a priest has...
- teomatteo: On an all together different note: that counter top appears to be, Saint Cecilia, comes outta s.america. i think.
- frjimt: From the office today: for the honor of him who lives us, it is proper to obey w/out hypocrisy; for a man does not so much deceive the bishop he can see as try to receive the bishop he...
- Ave Maria: Oh if only they had been suppressed again before we had a Jesuit pope! So many of them and many of their institutio ns are a scandal and a danger to the faith.
- HvonBlumenthal: The suppressio n of an order doesn’t mean that good priests are tossed out with the bathwater, merely that they would be welcomed in a healthier order; I find Anneliese’ s remark...
- Malta: These religious in my state are preserving the faith: http://www .ourladyof guadalupem onastery.c om/
- Malta: The Jesuits annoy me, not en masse, but the hierarchy on up to someone in the Vatican. They have a superior attitude which rings me the wrong way. When I was a Senior Trial Prosecutor I...
- dmflinn: May the Lord welcome him into eternal rest.
- APX: Has Cardinal Burke said anything on the matter? He used to have a very close associatio n with the USACV when he was still an archbishop .
- JesusFreak84: I saw someone comment on Twitter that there should be “Jes uits of the Strict Observance .” As long as strict means strict, I say go for it and suppress the rest. I do...
- Sconnius: Gandalf the Grey: [reading] The year 3434 of the Second Age. Here follows the account of Issac, the High Vicar of Black Duck, at the finding of the Brew of Power. “It has come to...
- stephen c: I will certainly say a prayer for him. And for Cardinal Mayer, another good priest who probably does not need my prayers. I have had the good fortune to know several good and holy...
- Anneliese: Dave Meconi, Chris Collins, and Mitch Pacwa deserve a little more respect. To equate them to James Martin is insulting.
- Nan: We did that Thursday in MN.
- Arthur McGowan: Better to call attention to such feasts about a month ahead of time. In fact, “Nex t Month̵ 7;s FeastsR 21; should be a regular feature.
- James in Perth: I truly appreciate the courage of the young Fr. Pagliarini to speak up to those priests who were joking about transubsta ntiation. A friend of my own pastor enjoyed saying scandal...
- James in Perth: Eastern Catholics will have their vehicles and other chariots blessed this Sunday in remembranc e of the Holy and Great Prophet Elijah whose simple feast was celebrated yesterd...
- Fr. John Zuhlsdorf: ex seaxe says: did you cast your expert eye over the translatio n Since you seem to want to pick at something, as is apparent from the LINK I included, that is not my transla...
- ex seaxe: I think I would be inclined to ask for the blessing for a vehicle, rather than one which speaks specially of healing. I don’ t quite need a wheelchair yet, but am considerin g...
- Mike: In a restored Church it will be a Greater Double with a vigil and an octave.
CLICK and say your daily offerings!
- 22 July: Mary Magdalene and the Creed at Mass – POLL!
- Can you imagine bishops doing something like this today?
- ASK FATHER: Blessing for a Wheelchair, Stretcher, or Ambulance
- FEAST DAY! 21 July 1773 – Clement XIV suppressed the Jesuits!
- R.I.P. Msgr. Camille Perl, once Secretary of the Pontifical Commission “Ecclesia Dei”
- And now for your Friday SSPX news!
- WDTPRS – 16th Ordinary Sunday: The Enemy is hunting YOU
- For your consideration…
- The hurly burly of Medieval Studies!
- FLYING ELECTRIC SPACE SPIDERS!
- ASK FATHER: Mass texts for St. Elijah, Old Testament Prophet
- What could possibly go wrong? – UPDATED
- YOUR GOOD NEWS… and Washington DC’s new Auxiliary Bishop and key priest at Detroit’s major seminary
- Budding young feminist archeologists
- ASK FATHER: Baptism of child of a same-sex couple?
- BOOK RECEIVED: Why Humanae Vitae Is Still Right!
- What the TMSM is doing with your donations
- Who is behind that “Lovely, drippy, syrupy TLM and vocation video” and how are they being treated?
- ACTION ITEM! Pray for Fr. Morris, victim of the homosexualist agenda
- Are we still trustworthy?
- Lovely, drippy, syrupy TLM and vocation video. Then Fr. Z rants about crying.
- The image of the badge of the Vendée came to mind today
- ACTION ITEM! Spiritual Bouquet for Bp. Morlino
- Fr. Z’s Kitchen: Garofolato!
- ASK FATHER: Cremains in funeral Mass, Traditional Requiem
- Pontifical Mass in Lake Charles. A brief and yet optimistic rant from Fr. Z.
- The last 10 minutes…
- 17 July 1794: “Permission to die, Mother?”
- 17 July 2018 – 100 years after
- Cobblestones, new vestments, and swag for Zed Heads
Let us pray…
Grant unto thy Church, we beseech Thee, O merciful God, that She, being gathered together by the Holy Ghost, may be in no wise troubled by attack from her foes. O God, who by sin art offended and by penance pacified, mercifully regard the prayers of Thy people making supplication unto Thee,and turn away the scourges of Thine anger which we deserve for our sins. Almighty and Everlasting God, in whose Hand are the power and the government of every realm: look down upon and help the Christian people that the heathen nations who trust in the fierceness of their own might may be crushed by the power of thine Arm. Through our Lord Jesus Christ, Thy Son, who liveth and reigneth with Thee in the unity of the Holy Ghost, God, world without end. R. Amen.
My "challenge coin" for my 25th anniversary of ordination in 2016.
Want one? I do exchanges with military and LEOs, etc. and you can make a donation.
New miscellaneous releases and events
Yes, Fr. Z is taking ads…
A great hymnal…
Because it matters what children read…
I carry one of these super-strong rosaries in my spare mag pouch! The Swiss Guards have them too!
Because you don’t know when you are going to need to move fast or get along without the supermarket…
PLEASE RESPOND. Pretty pleeeease?Loading ...
WDTPRS POLLLoading ...
Fr. Z’s stuff is everywhere
Help support Fr. Z’s Gospel of Life work at no cost to you. Do you need a Real Estate Agent? Calling these people is the FIRST thing you should do!
GREAT causes to support
Help Monks in Wyoming (coffee – UPDATED LINK) and Norcia (beer) and the wonderful "Soap Sisters" of Summit, NJ!
Please follow me on Twitter!
If you travel internationally, this is a super useful gizmo for your mobile internet data. I use one. If you get one through my link, I get data rewards.
Monthly Archives: September 2008
And so it begins
MIN @ CWS
I got this note:
I’ve been a long-time reader and occasional commenter on your blog. Keep up the good work! For the last six weeks, I’ve been trying my vocation at the Cistercian Abbey of Our Lady of Spring Bank in Sparta, … Continue reading
I am watching the DVD I was given in Rome, The Papacy of Reason: Inside the Mind of Benedict XVI. Since I was in this documentary, I was given a copy.
It is really quite well made! If you haven’t … Continue reading
There is a fascinating story in the Catholic Herald which you should all be looking at.
Fighting for Christendom with oranges and lemons
The Battle of Lepanto ended with scenes … Continue reading
I posted this last year, but I put so much work into it that it deserves recycling on this feast of St. Jerome.
Some time ago, there was a discussion on one of our splendid Catholic blogs making mention of the … Continue reading
I am speaking right now with a priest via skype who has just said his first TLM.
"The more priests who start saying the older form of the Mass, other priests will find the courage to do so themselves. Once … Continue reading
I am happy to report that more and more bishops are being bishops… and publicly too!
Give this a few moments of your time, from California Catholic.
My emphases and comments.
“At least five members of the audience walked out”
Bishop Soto … Continue reading
In an another entry I quoted a Latin phrase which sparked some additional conversation. This is a good opportunity to reenter the Sabine flow of things on WDTPRS, for I am indeed back at the Sabine Farm.
I quoted: Vae tibi … Continue reading
In the BC Catholic, weekly of the Archdiocese of Vancouver we find the following.
My emphases and comments.
Extraordinary form of Mass alive and well
By Cleveland V. Stordy
Pope Benedict XVI has been encouraging the offering of the Mass in the older form, … Continue reading
Archbishop Raymond Burke is living up to his middle name: Leo.
In the daily of the Italian Bishops Conference, Avvenire, His Excellency the Prefect of the Signatura spoke with candor on many issues, including the situation of pro-abortion Catholic politicians and, … Continue reading
When His Excellency Most Rev. Raymond Burke was moved from being Archbishop of St. Louis to Rome as the new Prefect of the Apostolic Segnatura, many people asked me if this was an example of promoveatur ut ammoveatur, that he … Continue reading
My recent posting about the question on administration of the sacrament of anointing led to some interesting comments. Someone mentioned the Apostolic Pardon, or Apostolic Benediction.
It is critically important that you – as a person who is going to die … Continue reading
I was just talking to a friend who told me about a very curious thing which Speaker Pelosi (of Meet The Press gaf fame) said to Sec. Paulson. This is in a New York Times story:
The New York Times … Continue reading
I found this on Catholic Culture:
Beatification of Cardinal Newman: decision tomorrow?September 29, 2008
A Vatican panel examining the healing of a Massachusetts man will meet tomorrow to rule on whether the cure, attributed the intercession of Cardinal John Henry Newman, is … Continue reading
Now that I am back home, I am catching up on news and mail.
I was aware during my recent travels that Fordham University was planning on giving an award to Supreme Court Justice Stephen Breyer. The prize is the Stein … Continue reading