Search Fr. Z’s Blog
SHOPPING ONLINE? Please, always come here first!
Enter Amazon through my link. Use the search bar below. Fr Z will get a small percentage of what you spend.
Here's Fr. Z's "catholic" search for Amazon: US HERE - UK HERE And you do need a Kindle! - HERE
“This blog is like a fusion of the Baroque ‘salon’ with its well-tuned harpsichord around which polite society gathered for entertainment and edification and, on the other hand, a Wild West “saloon” with its out-of-tune piano and swinging doors, where everyone has a gun and something to say. Nevertheless, we try to point our discussions back to what it is to be Catholic in this increasingly difficult age, to love God, and how to get to heaven.” – Fr. Z
Coat of Arms by D Burkart
YOUR RECENT COMMENTS
- Supertradmum: Clarificat ion, by “rig ht” I do not mean correct, but right as in conservati ve and not left as in liberal. The SSPX are obviously not correct.
- Supertradmum: Dear The Egyptian, Sadly, the SSPX has made compromise s, but on the right side of the spectrum. First of all, the order was founded because of an act of disobedien ce from the...
- Imrahil: Dear Ben Kenobi, and then I will have to close this blog and never read it again Even assuming what you said was all true (and much wasn’ ;t), why would you “hav e to” not...
- Henry Edwards: From a recent Liturgy Guy post (here): “Thi s past year, I have been doing a National Study on the TLM only parishes in the USA. Currently, there are around 70 of these but...
- The Egyptian: dear AS tells me that unabashed traditiona lism sells, the SSPX has made no “bar gain” ; to be allowed to do tradition, they are. Yes they are bullheaded , stubborn and do...
- Gaetano: The act of trampling those roses says more than any thousand words that could be said on the subject. Wow.
- Anon Seminarian: “BTW the SSPX has almost HALF of the total, tells us something? ? Maybe??? 8221; It tells us that the SSPX have over twice as many locations as the FSSP, at least in the...
- Eoin OBolguidhir: In the Eastern Churches, they celebrate the Divine Liturgy of St. James on the Feast of St. James, and the Divine Liturgy of St. Basil on the Feast of St. Basil and the Divine...
- AlanLins: I agree with Fr. Cipolla that the future of the Catholic Church lies in what was available in the past. I was fortunate to be able to take a trip to France in early May of 2017. We rented...
- JustaSinner: When, statistica lly, will all the hippies be expected to have departed?
- Kerry: Here is something interestin g about the flight deck crash- http://www .check-six .com/Crash _Sites/F9F -Duncan.ht m Kathleen 10, you are not playing fair, mmmmm. “If she sees...
- JonPatrick: OF Mass. The rich man seems to see something in Jesus that is lacking in his life with all of its material comforts and possession s that causes him to run up and inquire. Jesus recog...
- Bellarmino Vianney: That appears to have been a staged event. Readers will think this commentato r is crazy, but fine. Watch the lady closely. She appears to be acting. And listen to the end of the...
- Amerikaner: Is a declaratio n of canonizati on infallibib le?
- KateD: What about̷ 0;. A destinatio n wedding to a Latin friendly parish or diocese? It could be as simple as a drive and perhaps an overnight stay. Maybe to an Abby or convent set up to host...
- Ages: Or you could just kinda skip over that one. The lectionary doesn̵ 7;t have us read every word of the Bible in church either.
- ServusChristi: Celebratin g the feast day of a *Saint* whose intention was certainly to suppress the Roman Rite of mass we certainly enjoy today? This sounds like something not too many of us are...
- LatinMan: Careful. SSPX orders are unquestion able valid; even the severest critics of the Society have never questioned this.
- Rob83: Reaching the young will be rather critical in the years to come. This year’ ;s confirmati on prep group self-repor ted that most don’ t go to Mass very often. But after questio...
- Ben Kenobi: *Sigh*. This is like opening up a can of chili that you enjoy and finding that the salt content is over half of your daily ration. Sorry, Father. SSPX is not the future and will never...
- Therese: “We apologize. ” Marvelous. Hail, fellow Circus fan!
- JabbaPapa: The Masked Chicken : There is only one Hypostatic Union, capitalize d, but hypostasis is a lovely Greek word in common use in the First Century, A. D. and refers to the substructu re or...
- fishonthehill: EEEK! I was born around the corner from that deli, in the heart of Flatbush. My family moved out of there after the blackout in of ’77. I still live in Brooklyn, but would not...
- Anita Moore, O.P.(lay): Lurker 59 says: It is very telling that we live in an age where the only recourse to such actions is an emotional appeal as an appeal based on reason (whether towards law or...
- ChesterFrank: Yes, I can sense that the demographi cs will change too. I can see a not quite full church become quite empty in the very near future. If no one is present at Mass, is a Priest facing...
CLICK and say your daily offerings!
- 15 Oct: St. Teresa, calendars and fascinating fountains! (A note to NAC seminarians and Rome denizens.)
- ASK FATHER: Celebrating Conciliar Saint Popes in the Traditional Roman Rite
- The future of the Church (hint – NOT #Synod2018)
- How the Left rolls
- #Synod2018 underway but there are no rules. Making it up as they go?
- ASK FATHER: Coalition in Support of “Ecclessia Dei” – What’s up?
- Your Sunday Sermon Notes
- Dodging Global Extinction Events
- VIDEO: Pro-abortion propaganda v. Catholics in NYC
- JUST TOO COOL: The ‘tricolours’ ensign of Le Généreux, captured by Nelson on display
- ASK FATHER: Pastor won’t allow TLM wedding in “his church”
- WDTPRS – 28th Ordinary Sunday: Fascinating Collect, seminar on grace!
- The unhinged Left now turns to satanism, witchcraft to fight Pres. Trump, Justice Kavanaugh
- SSPX Superior Fr. Pagliarani interview: “we have to have souls ready for all sorts of sacrifices”
- What to do with former-Card. McCarrick’s galero in the @WashArchdiocese Cathedral
- Something fun for Friday
- ASK FATHER: ” I feel that my Faith is just being torn apart”
- URGENT PRAYER REQUEST: Australia and removal of all abortion restrictions
- Francis accepted Card. Wuerl’s two year old resignation, wrote him a Letter
- ASK FATHER: Official Latin of Fatima Rosary Prayer
- NOTE TO READERS about email and contact
- Anniversary of John XXIII’s 1962 “Gaudet Mater Ecclesia” and how it has been misused #Synod2018 #VaticanII #podcast
- ASK FATHER: Is “Amoris laetitia” really translated “The Exuberance of Lust”?
- Certain sins bring infestation of demons: horrid #sodoclericalism “parties” close to the most important places in the Vatican
- VARIA: Concrete parish project of reparation (PDF); Fighting back in Chicago; Disasters, death and YOU!; a little Latin (AUDIO); some super Catholic trivia.
- Is watered-down faith of #Synod2018 “worth dying for when the man with the machete shows up at your door?”
- Divisions are growing
- 2nd Sunday of October: Votive Mass of the Good Thief in prisons, jails, etc.
- BOOKS RECEIVED: Why We Fight: Defeating America’s Enemies – With No Apologies @SebGorka
- Good News: 1939 Dominican Rite Altar Missale – REPRINTED
Let us pray…
Grant unto thy Church, we beseech Thee, O merciful God, that She, being gathered together by the Holy Ghost, may be in no wise troubled by attack from her foes. O God, who by sin art offended and by penance pacified, mercifully regard the prayers of Thy people making supplication unto Thee,and turn away the scourges of Thine anger which we deserve for our sins. Almighty and Everlasting God, in whose Hand are the power and the government of every realm: look down upon and help the Christian people that the heathen nations who trust in the fierceness of their own might may be crushed by the power of thine Arm. Through our Lord Jesus Christ, Thy Son, who liveth and reigneth with Thee in the unity of the Holy Ghost, God, world without end. R. Amen.
This blog has to earn its keep!
New miscellaneous releases and events
Yes, Fr. Z is taking ads…
A great hymnal…
Because it matters what children read…
I carry one of these super-strong rosaries in my spare mag pouch! The Swiss Guards have them too!
My "challenge coin" for my 25th anniversary of ordination in 2016.
Want one? I do exchanges with military and LEOs, etc. and you can make a donation.
Because you don’t know when you are going to need to move fast or get along without the supermarket…
PLEASE RESPOND. Pretty pleeeease?Loading ...
WDTPRS POLLLoading ...
Fr. Z’s stuff is everywhere
Help support Fr. Z’s Gospel of Life work at no cost to you. Do you need a Real Estate Agent? Calling these people is the FIRST thing you should do!
GREAT causes to support
Help Monks in Wyoming (coffee – UPDATED LINK) and Norcia (beer) and the wonderful "Soap Sisters" of Summit, NJ!
Please follow me on Twitter!
If you travel internationally, this is a super useful gizmo for your mobile internet data. I use one. If you get one through my link, I get data rewards.
Monthly Archives: November 2008
On a Sunday afternoon, it is nice to visit a Museum. Here are some shots from the Minneapolis Institute of Art.
Here is a too brief clip from CTV of Pope Benedict’s vespers service in the Vatican Basilica for the beginning of Advent.
Today the Holy Father visited the parish San Lorenzo fuori le mura, St. Lawrence outside-the-walls. This is a Minor Papal Basilica, rather than a Major, but it is an extremely important church in the history of Rome and our Roman … Continue reading
From a reader:
Hello Father Z First let me thank you for your wonderful work with your blog. I am an young woman living in a parish with, well, an “interesting” liturgy. Thanks to the many Catholic blogs out there like yourself, … Continue reading
What would happen if a president-elect should die or be demonstrated definitively not to have been eligible for office under the requirements in the Constitution, before the electoral college meets?
I am getting various answers.
Anyone? Something authoritative.
First Vespers of the 1st Sunday of Advent is on.
This is the first liturgical ceremony of the new liturgical year.
For fans of those books and certain movies:
An excerpt from this week’s article:
In the TLM, the “Prayer over the gifts”, in Latin Super oblata in the Novus Ordo, is called the Secret because it was spoken by the priest in a low voice inaudible to the congregation.
Remember … Continue reading
This weekend I will be in the Twin Cities to help with Masses for a priest who is under the weather.
From a reader:
I have a BA in Catholic Theology and A MA in Religious Studies; however, my background is not strong in liturgy. I focused on pastoral ministry, youth ministry and world religions. Could you help me answer a question … Continue reading
Mass is at the top of the hour today, 1800 GMT, 1300 EST.
I will remember at the Memento of the living, you readers who have been so supportive of WDTPRS.
Please pray for the people in Mumbai.
Our friend Fr. Ray Blake, PP of St. Mary Magdalen parish in Brighton, has a great photo on his blog.
He must be in Rome, for this is the window of the famous, and over-priced, Gammarelli, near the Pantheon.
Note the rose … Continue reading
ALBUM BY PLACIDO DOMINGO INSPIRED BY POEMS OF JOHN PAUL II
VATICAN CITY, 28 NOV 2008 (VIS) – This morning in the Holy See Press Office, a press conference was held to present a new album of songs inspired by … Continue reading
Our friend John Sonnen of Orbis Catholicus posted a photo worth a thousand words, asking
“What’s wrong with this picture?”
I believe this is in the Basilica of the XII Apostles, near P.za Venezia.