Search Fr. Z’s Blog
SHOPPING ONLINE? Please, always come here first!
Enter Amazon through my link. Use the search bar below. Fr Z will get a small percentage of what you spend.
Here's Fr. Z's "catholic" search for Amazon: US HERE - UK HERE And you do need a Kindle! - HERE
“This blog is like a fusion of the Baroque ‘salon’ with its well-tuned harpsichord around which polite society gathered for entertainment and edification and, on the other hand, a Wild West “saloon” with its out-of-tune piano and swinging doors, where everyone has a gun and something to say. Nevertheless, we try to point our discussions back to what it is to be Catholic in this increasingly difficult age, to love God, and how to get to heaven.” – Fr. Z
Coat of Arms by D Burkart
YOUR RECENT COMMENTS
- adriennep: Remember, the Devil hates Latin for a reason. The Catholic Church has it (history, tradition, good drama) and they don’t.
- PostCatholic: Sharing the view from over the fence: I find Wicca ridiculous . I’ve had people explain their “anc ient Celtic rituals 221; but just try asking them who Turenn, Morrí...
- Jacob: Yet such repackagin g is deceptive, Roys added, “but one that a generation with little or no biblical understand ing is prone to accept.” I watch a lot of Jeopardy! Biblical literacy has...
- Jacob: 1. Is Gower Abbey in any danger from the recent document on women religious and the moves to close their houses? Does their status as an abbey give them any protection ? 2. With the death of...
- bibi1003: Our beautiful church, built in 1850, was closed and our parish moved to a new, ugly concrete block auditorium of a church. The old church was sold to someone who made it into an event...
- JesusFreak84: Um, some of y’al l who are seeing the devil in painted kids’ ; toys are doing as much for Wicca as anyone else. When someone weighs the proponents and opponents of the...
- MrsMacD: For our wrestling is not against flesh and blood; but against principali ties and power, against the rulers of the world of this darkness, against the spirits of wickedness in the high...
- tho: Heart warming, and renews my faith in our future.
- AnthonyJ: On a personal note, I had a friend who was tied up with the occult. It put a strain on our friendship and I stopped associatin g with her. She contacted 3 years after our estrangeme nt...
- AnthonyJ: Wicca is definitely satanic. There is a new version of Sabrina the Teenage Witch on Netflix. The trailer for it doesn̵ 7;t even try to hide the pervasive satanism in the show.
- jflare29: Some years ago, a friend of mine who grew up at least tacitly Methodist had begun exploring Wicca. I wrote a letter of caution, then received her letter back; she wasn’ ;t very happy...
- Mario Bird: Mainstream ing paganism — I saw in an Alaska Airlines magazine that Oregon is using Studio Ghibli-sty le anime to advertise their tourism. There was a creature in the ad holding...
- Kathleen10: There̵ 7;s enough blame for everybody. Younger parents today are showing us what a weakened Catholicis m can do, not much. I can testify to this in my own family, where there are...
- Anita Moore, O.P.(lay): Anneliese says: You can’t blame it all on the clergy. You can blame the parents as well. Bad clergy and bad laity react upon each other, disedify each other, and multi...
- majuscule: A woman I know from my school days whom I have recently reconnecte d with and interact with on Facebook has admitted to being a “white witch” while also being a “Catholic” . White...
- carndt: Discord is so damaging to the soul and a family. I will pray for my brothers. Thank you for opening my heart to know they do have clean handles and there is hope for their souls.
- Dad of Six: Yes, to quote a certain Lone Star State parson: “It& #8217;s seems fun until you wake up one morning with a demon gnawing on your arm.” ;
- Southern Catholic: The education of the child starts at home, so I would put most of the blame on the parents, then the bishops and priests. I am in the same boat as Anneliese.
- HvonBlumenthal: The fact that Chesterton did not say it in so many words does not diminish the truth of the aphorism that a man who ceases to believe in God will believe in anything.
- Anneliese: You can’ t blame it all on the clergy. You can blame the parents as well. I had a terrible religious upbringing partly out of laziness and loss of faith from one parent and confu...
- Cafea Fruor: Actually, along the lines of UncleBlobb ’s comment, I think I would blame the breakdown of family life before I’d blame bishops and clergy. I think people turn to this...
- mrjaype: Father, that’ ;s not a trumpet. That’ ;s cornet.
- Ave Maria: I am very fortunate in that both the parishes I frequent have two daily Masses with confession times at each and also on Saturdays. I recall in my former parish out in a liturgi...
- LeeGilbert: Nathan, you really brought me up short with this, your thanksgivi ng to the priests who have heard your confession s over the years: “You ’ve not only heard and absolved my...
- UncleBlobb: My brief experience with people interested in this kind of activity is that they see themselves “on the margins 221; of mainstream culture of any kind, and they seek to find...
CLICK and say your daily offerings!
- WDTPRS – Gaudete Sunday: “good news” of the chaff’s destiny in “unquenchable fire”
- Fast growth in Paganism, Wicca (the joke that is no joke)
- VIDEO: The new church of Gower Abbey (and the Extraordinary Ordinary)
- ADVENTCAzT 2018 13: The Dirty Bucket
- Priests and bishops who are probably going to Hell
- End of year 2018 charitable giving and YOU. A suggestion.
- ADVENTCAzT 2018 12: Patience
- Holy Face of Manoppello, Sankt Gallen, “designer babies”
- Card. Müller’s interview about Church and theology in Germany
- ADVENTCAzT 2018 11: Hark! a gladsome voice is thrilling
- TERRIFIC! School Choir accomplished, back to back, Solemn Roman and Eastern liturgy!
- NYC Day 1: Of Borscht and Buttons
- “If only women were in leadership positions…”
- Anglicans to mock baptism with transgender ceremony
- ADVENTCAzT 2018 10: If a liturgy looks silly, you can close your eyes. But if it sounds silly…
- A priest’s thought after going ‘ad orientem’
- Priests and Latin. Wherein Fr. Z rants.
- My View For Awhile: ”Festina Lente” Edition
- ADVENTCAzT 2018 09: Proper Marian Devotion
- Your Sunday Sermon Notes
- Of getting Latin wrong, corrections, and of priests and their Latin or lack thereof
- ADVENTCAzT 2018 08: Egocentrics and God’s gifts
- A conflicted Fishwrap v. Francis on homosexuals in seminary and priesthood
- On this day in 2005 …
- Help a young entrepreneur!
- ADVENTCAzT 2018 07: “If she had not given her ‘Fiat!’…”
- 7 Dec – Titanic, intriguing St Ambrose of Milan, bishop and doctor
- UPDATE on injuries and recovery with heartfelt thanks
- Solemn Requiem for @BishopMorlino in @MadisonDiocese
- ADVENTCAzT 2018 06: Our Lord will appear in His humanity so that He can be seen by the just and the wicked
Let us pray…
Grant unto thy Church, we beseech Thee, O merciful God, that She, being gathered together by the Holy Ghost, may be in no wise troubled by attack from her foes. O God, who by sin art offended and by penance pacified, mercifully regard the prayers of Thy people making supplication unto Thee,and turn away the scourges of Thine anger which we deserve for our sins. Almighty and Everlasting God, in whose Hand are the power and the government of every realm: look down upon and help the Christian people that the heathen nations who trust in the fierceness of their own might may be crushed by the power of thine Arm. Through our Lord Jesus Christ, Thy Son, who liveth and reigneth with Thee in the unity of the Holy Ghost, God, world without end. R. Amen.
This blog has to earn its keep!
New miscellaneous releases and events
Yes, Fr. Z is taking ads…
A great hymnal…
Because it matters what children read…
I carry one of these super-strong rosaries in my spare mag pouch! The Swiss Guards have them too!
My "challenge coin" for my 25th anniversary of ordination in 2016.
Want one? I do exchanges with military and LEOs, etc. and you can make a donation.
Because you don’t know when you are going to need to move fast or get along without the supermarket…
PLEASE RESPOND. Pretty pleeeease?Loading ...
WDTPRS POLLLoading ...
Fr. Z’s stuff is everywhere
Help support Fr. Z’s Gospel of Life work at no cost to you. Do you need a Real Estate Agent? Calling these people is the FIRST thing you should do!
GREAT causes to support
Help Monks in Wyoming (coffee – UPDATED LINK) and Norcia (beer) and the wonderful "Soap Sisters" of Summit, NJ!
Please follow me on Twitter!
If you travel internationally, this is a super useful gizmo for your mobile internet data. I use one. If you get one through my link, I get data rewards.
Monthly Archives: November 2008
On a Sunday afternoon, it is nice to visit a Museum. Here are some shots from the Minneapolis Institute of Art.
Here is a too brief clip from CTV of Pope Benedict’s vespers service in the Vatican Basilica for the beginning of Advent.
Today the Holy Father visited the parish San Lorenzo fuori le mura, St. Lawrence outside-the-walls. This is a Minor Papal Basilica, rather than a Major, but it is an extremely important church in the history of Rome and our Roman … Continue reading
From a reader:
Hello Father Z First let me thank you for your wonderful work with your blog. I am an young woman living in a parish with, well, an “interesting” liturgy. Thanks to the many Catholic blogs out there like yourself, … Continue reading
What would happen if a president-elect should die or be demonstrated definitively not to have been eligible for office under the requirements in the Constitution, before the electoral college meets?
I am getting various answers.
Anyone? Something authoritative.
First Vespers of the 1st Sunday of Advent is on.
This is the first liturgical ceremony of the new liturgical year.
For fans of those books and certain movies:
An excerpt from this week’s article:
In the TLM, the “Prayer over the gifts”, in Latin Super oblata in the Novus Ordo, is called the Secret because it was spoken by the priest in a low voice inaudible to the congregation.
Remember … Continue reading
This weekend I will be in the Twin Cities to help with Masses for a priest who is under the weather.
From a reader:
I have a BA in Catholic Theology and A MA in Religious Studies; however, my background is not strong in liturgy. I focused on pastoral ministry, youth ministry and world religions. Could you help me answer a question … Continue reading
Mass is at the top of the hour today, 1800 GMT, 1300 EST.
I will remember at the Memento of the living, you readers who have been so supportive of WDTPRS.
Please pray for the people in Mumbai.
Our friend Fr. Ray Blake, PP of St. Mary Magdalen parish in Brighton, has a great photo on his blog.
He must be in Rome, for this is the window of the famous, and over-priced, Gammarelli, near the Pantheon.
Note the rose … Continue reading
ALBUM BY PLACIDO DOMINGO INSPIRED BY POEMS OF JOHN PAUL II
VATICAN CITY, 28 NOV 2008 (VIS) – This morning in the Holy See Press Office, a press conference was held to present a new album of songs inspired by … Continue reading
Our friend John Sonnen of Orbis Catholicus posted a photo worth a thousand words, asking
“What’s wrong with this picture?”
I believe this is in the Basilica of the XII Apostles, near P.za Venezia.