1 July: St. Aaron, brother of Moses

Some people may not realize that many great figures of the Old Testament are considered saints and are listed in the Roman Martyrology.

1 July, is the feast of St. Aaron, the brother of Moses (also a saint).

Here is his entry in the 2005 Martyrologium Romanum:

1. Commemoratio sancti Aaron, de tribu Levi, qui a Moyse fratre oleo sacro unctus est sacerdos Veteris Testamenti et in monte Hor depositus.

Who wants to translate this for the readers?

This entry was posted in Saints: Stories & Symbols and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

13 Responses to 1 July: St. Aaron, brother of Moses

1. Gregg the Obscure says:

Commemoration of St. Aaron of the tribe of Levi, whose brother Moses annointed him with holy oil to be a priest of the old testament and who is buried at Mt. Horeb.

2. JohnNYC says:

“Commemoration of St. Aaron of/from the tribe of Levi, who by Moses, (his) brother, with holy oil was anointed a priest of the Old Testament/Covenant and was on/at Mt. Hor laid to rest.”

Is Mount Hor the same as Mount Horeb?

Sancte Aaron, ora pro nobis!

3. acardnal says:

Another curious saint is Pontius Pilate! He is considered a saint in the Copic Orthodox Church and the Abyssinian Orthodox Church. I am not sure about his status in the Latin Rite Catholic Church.

4. acardnal says:

Copic above should read Coptic.

5. Gus Barbarigo says:

It’s been a while but I’ll give it a go:

“Commemoration of Saint Aaron, of the tribe of Levi, who has been anointed priest of the Old Testament with holy oil by (his) brother Moses and is buried in Mount Hor.”

6. Rachel K says:

I recall being taught this gem of our faith not many years ago by the elderly mother of a dear friend. The mother really knew the faith, sadly she has passed away now, but it was always lovely to talk with her and glean these riches about which we don’t hear enough these days. I am pleased about the sanctity of OT persons, even those who are not given the title “saint” by the church, as I have an Old Testament name as a first given name, as do my four children and my husband. We each have a regular Saint’s name as a second name. This is just by chance, but as my father in law (still living) is a Jewish survivor of Belsen, I am pleased that it reminds of of our family link with the Jewish religion which gave birth to our Catholic faith.

7. Father G says:

@ acardnal,
    Actually, Pontius Pilate is regarded as a saint only in the Ethiopian Orthodox Church. The Coptic Church does not honor him as such. He is not a saint in the Latin rite nor in the Eastern rites of the Catholic Church.

8. liliana51886 says:

I am heard that Pontius Pilate killed himself, shortly after condemning Jesus to death, around 37/38 AD. If that is the case, he would not be a Saint for sure.

9. acardnal says:

Father G,
    I got my information from an article in the June 2013 edition of “Magnificat” magazine; it was an editorial written by Fr. John Peter Cameron, O.P. He also said Pilate’s Feast Day was June 25. So….you will have to ask him for his source.

10. IoannesPetrus says:

1. The commemoration of Saint Aaron, of the tribe of Levi, who with holy oil was anointed priest of the Old Covenant by Moses his brother, and is buried in Mount Hor.

11. IoannesPetrus says:

JohnNYC: Is Mount Hor the same as Mount Horeb?

It seems that Mount Hor is not the same as Mount Horeb. That said, on translating the entry I would add that, since there are two Mounts Hor, I considered adding it into my attempt, but thought better of it and didn’t because it wasn’t in the original. (At any rate, it’s the one in Edom.)

Sancte Aaron, ora pro nobis!

Benedícat nobis Dóminus, et custódiat nos.
    Illúminet fáciem suam super nos, et misereátur nostri.
    Convértat vultum suum ad nos, et donet nobis suam pacem.

12. acardnal says:

Father G,
    I did some Google searches. I found this from the Coptic Orthodox Diocese of the Southern United States. Apparently, the Ethiopian Orthodox and Abyssinian Orthodox are synonymous terms and they consider Pilate a saint. According to them he converted to Christianity and died a martyr.

The Coptic Orthodox do not consider Pilate a saint according to the article below, but one can understand how Fr. Cameron could easily have gotten confused by the terms used. One article I read said that the Copts did consider Pilate a saint at one time but suppressed that around 1500. I do not know if that is true or not.

I have no idea if Fr. Cameron, O.P. is correct or not. I took him at his word. It’s an interesting subject though.

13. Father G says:

@ acardnal,
    I will have to take a look at the Magnificat article, but I have it from several Oriental Orthodox Christians who say that Pontius Pilate is not a saint in the Coptic Church, only in the Ethiopian Church.
    As for his feast day, the Ethiopian Synaxarium places it as July 2, which is tomorrow (or today, by the time you may read this.) http://www.stmichaeleoc.org/The_Ethiopian_Synaxarium.pdf