Search Fr. Z’s Blog
SHOPPING ONLINE? Please, come here first!
Enter Amazon through my search box and I will get a small percentage of what you spend. (Pssst - Can't see the search box? Turn off your "ad-blocker" for this site!)
PS: I added Amazon Search Boxes for the UK and for Canada at the bottom of the blog page. Copy and paste titles I mention into those boxes and - BAZINGA! - results appear as if by magic. Kindle? HERE
“This blog is like a fusion of the Baroque ‘salon’ with its well-tuned harpsichord around which polite society gathered for entertainment and edification and, on the other hand, a Wild West “saloon” with its out-of-tune piano and swinging doors, where everyone has a gun and something to say. Nevertheless, we try to point our discussions back to what it is to be Catholic in this increasingly difficult age, to love God, and how to get to heaven.” – Fr. Z
Some words of wisdom…
The more vigorously the primacy was displayed, the more the question came up about the extent and and limits of [papal] authority, which of course, as such, had never been considered. After the Second Vatican Council, the impression arose that the pope really could do anything in liturgical matters, especially if he were acting on the mandate of an ecumenical council. Eventually, the idea of the givenness of the liturgy, the fact that one cannot do with it what one will, faded from the public consciousness of the West. In fact, the First Vatican Council had in no way defined the pope as an absolute monarch. On the contrary, it presented him as the guarantor of obedience to the revealed Word. The pope's authority is bound to the Tradition of faith. … The authority of the pope is not unlimited; it is at the service of Sacred Tradition.
Joseph RatzingerUS HERE - UK HERE
in The Spirit of the Liturgy
CLICK and say your Daily Offering!
"We as Catholics have not properly combated (the culture) because we have not been taught our Catholic Faith, especially in the depth needed to address these grave evils of our time. This is a failure of catechesis both of children and young people that has been going on for fifty years. It is being addressed, but it needs much more radical attention... What has also contributed greatly to the situation is an exaltation of the virtue of tolerance which is falsely seen as the virtue which governs all other virtues. In other words, we should tolerate other people in their immoral actions to the extent that we seem also to accept the moral wrong. Tolerance is a virtue, but it is certainly not the principal virtue; the principal virtue is charity... Charity means speaking the truth. I have encountered it (not speaking the truth) many times myself as a priest and bishop. It is something we simply need to address. There is far too much silence — people do not want to talk about it because the topic is not 'politically correct.' But we cannot be silent any longer."
Raymond Card. Burke
Art by D Burkart
I listen to your voicemails: I don’t call back, but I listen.
You have three options:
020 8133 4535
- Cath said I shall remember all of your intentions during my...
- andia said Prayers for all here. Please pray for healing an...
- DavidJ said For an expectant mother who is suffering a stroke...
- Dcn PB said It’s clear in the GIRM that the deacon walks...
- AMTFisher said Tom A. “We know in the TLM, the host is cons...
- MarkJ said Please pray for my longtime friend Don who just en...
- Fr. John said Is it a particular Byzantine Catholic rule not to...
- Lucas Whittaker said @John Grammaticus: Euge! I will pray that you comp...
- MouseTemplar said In thanksgiving for a 3 year long petition for emp...
- Papabile said In your charity, please pray for the soul of Kate...
- Lucas Whittaker said @FrJim4321: Pater Jim, quaeso, accipe excusationes...
- Michael_Thoma said Malankara Syriacs, Malabars, Armenians as well by...
- bibi1003 said Please pray for the soul of Caitlyn, a drug addict...
- Tom A. said Both the NO and the TLM are capable of consecratin...
- rdschreiner said Ironically, we were in Corinth Greece on a Sunday....
- Sliwka said My wife was due on Friday and we are doing a home...
- jameeka said Father spoke about the first reading, the Acts of...
- taffymycat said I am very confused. i have recently come back to t...
- CaliCatholicGuy said Please pray for my unborn child. My wife and I su...
- Adaquano said A special prayer request for my wife and I please...
- hwriggles4 said A case in point and a good example: Last summer,...
- Joe in Canada said Maronite and Melkite Churches tend to give Communi...
- Atra Dicenda, Rubra Agenda said I usually look to see if and where Mass if availab...
- Atra Dicenda, Rubra Agenda said Father your Novus Ordo picture is the worst. And r...
- aviva meriam said just returned to my career after a 9 year absence:...
- iamlucky13 said Related trivia – A Franciscan priest, Father...
- Semper Gumby said Fr. Z and David R: Classic! Many great lines. H...
- iamlucky13 said “No one can be held to the impossible”...
- John Grammaticus said I will pray for all intentions here, could I pleas...
- VexillaRegis said I’m in a tricky job related situation. Pleas...
Help Monks in Wyoming (coffee) and Norcia (beer)!
- Aedificantium enim unusquisque gladio erat accinctus.
- Nehemiah 4:18
"Where priest and people together face the same way, what we have is a cosmic orientation and also in interpretation of the Eucharist in terms of resurrection and trinitarian theology. Hence it is also an interpretation in terms of parousia, a theology of hope, in which every Mass is an approach to the return of Christ."
Joseph Ratzinger - The Feast of Faith"In those situations where homosexual unions have been legally recognized or have been given the legal status and rights belonging to marriage, clear and emphatic opposition is a duty. ... If all Catholics are obliged to oppose the legal recognition of homosexual unions, Catholic politicians are obliged to do so in a particular way, in keeping with their responsibility as politicians." CDF 2003
One of the most dangerous errors is that civilization is automatically bound to increase and spread. The lesson of history is the opposite; civilization is a rarity, attained with difficulty and easily lost. The normal state of humanity is barbarism, just as the normal surface of the planet is salt water. Land looms large in our imagination and civilization in history books, only because sea and savagery are to us less interesting. — C. S. Lewis
Ham Radio Stuff
Fr. Z - W9FRZ - OFF
QRV on: 00m 00000
Check Echolink WB0YLE-R - OFF
"One of the few things in life you can be absolutely sure about is that, if Management tells you it doesn't like your Tone, you are getting something right."
"Latin is a precise, essential language. It will be abandoned, not because it is unsuitable for the new requirements of progress, but because the new men will not be suitable for it. When the age of demagogues and charlatans begins, a language like Latin will no longer be useful, and any oaf will be able to give a speech in public and talk in such a way that he will not be kicked off the stage. The secret to this will consist in the fact that, by making use of words that are general, elusive, and sound good, he will be able to speak for an hour without saying anything. With Latin, this is impossible."
- - Giovanni Guareschi
Support them with prayer and fasting.
Help the Sisters. They have a building project. Get great soap (gifts, etc.) while helping REAL nuns!
Some OBLIGATORY reading…
Leave Voice Mail for Fr. Z
Let us pray…
Grant unto thy Church, we beseech Thee, O merciful God, that She, being gathered together by the Holy Ghost, may be in no wise troubled by attack from her foes. O God, who by sin art offended and by penance pacified, mercifully regard the prayers of Thy people making supplication unto Thee,and turn away the scourges of Thine anger which we deserve for our sins. Almighty and Everlasting God, in whose Hand are the power and the government of every realm: look down upon and help the Christian people that the heathen nations who trust in the fierceness of their own might may be crushed by the power of thine Arm. Through our Lord Jesus Christ, Thy Son, who liveth and reigneth with Thee in the unity of the Holy Ghost, God, world without end. R. Amen.
Check out the Cardinal Newman Society feed!
Yes, Fr. Z is taking ads…... and there will be nearly 1,000,000 page loads this month.
A great hymnal…
Mystic Monk Coffee also has TEA!
Because it matters what children read…
I carry one of these super-strong rosaries in my spare mag pouch! The Swiss Guards have them too!
Because you don’t know when you are going to need to move fast or get along without the supermarket…
My wish lists
Food For Thought
“The legalization of the termination of pregnancy is none other than the authorization given to an adult, with the approval of an established law, to take the lives of children yet unborn and thus incapable of defending themselves. It is difficult to imagine a more unjust situation, and it is very difficult to speak of obsession in a matter such as this, where we are dealing with a fundamental imperative of every good conscience — the defense of the right to life of an innocent and defenseless human being.”
- St. John Paul II
PLEASE RESPOND. Pretty pleeeease?Loading ...
WDTPRS POLLLoading ...
A morsel for thought…
"If your work is strong enough for someone to hate you, it's strong enough for someone to love you. The middle is what you should fear."
- Sean McCabe @seanwes
- ASK FATHER: Deacons in Novus Ordo Masses
- YOUR URGENT PRAYER REQUESTS
- ASK FATHER: Do I fulfill my Sunday obligation at an Eastern or SSPX church?
- ASK FATHER: Sunday Mass obligation when traveling to remote places
- A note about comments, moderation, etc.
- I reject sexism in every form, and all its pomps, and all its empty works.
- Are you anxious, upset, confused about the Church today? Wherein Fr. Z rants.
- Your Sunday Sermon Notes
- 23 April is “Talk Like Shakespeare Day”! Newly discovered act of a rare play….
- PASCHALCAzT 2017 54 – Low Sunday “in albis”: Peace be to you!
- Fr. Murray, Prof. Royal on “Deaconettes”, ‘Amoris laetitia’, Liturgy, Communion in the hand
- WDTPRS: Octave of Easter “in albis”, Quasimodo Sunday
- AUDIO – Victimae Paschali Laudes – As you may never have heard it before
- Books For Seminarians Project – COMPLETED!
- Are you a Sponsor for a Confirmand? Will you be one? Food for thought.
- PASCHALCAzT 2017 53 – Easter Saturday: Mercy
- ASK FATHER: Two-phase wedding? First in church, then at the beach?
- ASK FATHER: The inevitable “Rite of Thanking” at the end of Mass
- PASCHALCAzT 2017 52 – Easter Friday: Such is Jesus Christ
- ASK FATHER: Eating meat on Friday in the Octave of Easter
- NEW Fr. Z Swag Available: Pope BENEDICT XIV Lambertini (1740-1758)
- A note to readers…
- ASK FATHER: Can we go to an SSPX Mass and receive Communion?
- PASCHALCAzT 2017 51 – Easter Thursday: Hristos Anesti!
- UPDATE: A bishop urges priests to encourage reception of Holy Communion on the tongue, kneeling. Wherein Fr. Z rants.
- PASCHALCAzT 2017 50 – Easter Wednesday: My joy and my crown!
- All-black boys school in Philadelphia where Latin is the key
- Fr. Murray hits another triple
- A spiritual opportunity for Mother’s Day
- IN THE WILD! Clement XIV joins the Navy!
For your consideration…
"One of the most dangerous errors is that civilization is automatically bound to increase and spread. The lesson of history is the opposite; civilization is a rarity, attained with difficulty and easily lost. The normal state of humanity is barbarism, just as the normal surface of the planet is salt water. Land looms large in our imagination and civilization in history books, only because sea and savagery are to us less interesting."
- C.S. Lewis
More food for thought:
“I expect to die in bed, my successor will die in prison and his successor will die a martyr in the public square. His successor will pick up the shards of a ruined society and slowly help rebuild civilization, as the church has done so often in human history.”
Francis Card. George
Fr. Z’s stuff is everywhere
Please follow me on Twitter!
Help support Fr. Z’s Gospel of Life work at no cost to you. Do you need a Real Estate Agent? Calling these people is the FIRST thing you should do!
- "It will never be known what acts of cowardice have been committed for fear of not looking sufficiently progressive."
Charles Pierre Péguy Notre Patrie, 1905"If I ought to write the truth, I am of the mind that I ought to flee all meetings of bishops, because I have never seen any happy or satisfactory outcome to any council, nor one that has deterred evils more than it has occasioned their acceptance and growth."
St. Gregory Nazianzus ep. 131 - AD 382“We will conquer your Rome, break your crosses, and enslave your women. If we do not reach that time, then our children and grandchildren will reach it, and they will sell your sons as slaves at the slave market.”
Reading and gift ideas!
Tag Archives: TLM
A reader sent in impression of the first Holy Mass he attended in the Extraordinary Form, and not just a Low Mass, either: I attended my first TLM this past week. It was a beautiful Solemn Pontifical Mass said by … Continue reading
From a reader: Thank you kindly, Father. I’ve been to the Extraordinary form once. My sponsor was the celebrant. There is something greater there than at novus ordo. Something heavenly and otherworldly was at play. I definitely felt the fear … Continue reading
From a reader: I wanted to drop you a note to tell you what a positive response I got from our pastor here in ____ when I asked about the St. ___’s hosting an extraordinary form Mass. He said yes … Continue reading
From a reader: My city has a an Anglican Use parish, and my understanding is their Mass is just like the TLM except, not in Latin. I can deal with that. Is it permissible for regular Latin Rite Catholics to … Continue reading
A friend of mine from my many years in Rome, Greg Di Pippo (very learnéd fellow), is going to be giving a talk in Boston, at the Cathedral, on the Extraordinary Form. There will be Holy Mass in the Extraordinary … Continue reading
From a seminarian: I responded before to your inquiry about what training was or was not being offered in seminaries in the celebration of the Extraordinary Form. At the time you inquired there was no training offered for the EF. … Continue reading
Yet another reason to thank Pope Benedict for Summorum Pontificum: A long-time reader and participant (and donor) sent an alert about the following, with this comment: Interesting that CNS included a segment on Tradition starting at 2:15, featuring one Michael … Continue reading
Go HERE to hear an interview by Larry Roach on Fidelis Radio with Fr. Michael Rodriguez of the Diocese of El Paso. You have probably heard of him. Father was involved in a huge dust up in the defense of … Continue reading
A bishop explicitly charges all his seminarians to learn the Extraordinary Form. Wherein Fr. Z rants.
For your Brick by Brick file. In another entry I answered a question from a lay person who desired to pray for a priest as he learns the Extraordinary Form of Holy Mass at the request of his bishop. It … Continue reading
Please use the sharing buttons! Thanks! From a reader: Fr. Z- During his homily this weekend, my pastor stated that our bishop asked him to learn to say the TLM so that he can say mass for a group of … Continue reading
At the blog The Anglo-Catholic I read: When I [that blogger] met him in Orlando some months ago, Monsignor Steenson [head of the US Ordinariate] held nothing back in the expression of his enmity towards Catholic Traditionalism and the so-called … Continue reading
I received this note from a priest of the FSSP: Just a quick note regarding our Fall dates for Low Mass Priest Training at our seminary from 17-21 September. Also, if there is interest, much of our Latin Mass Training Video, is available for … Continue reading
From a reader: I’m a 28 year old, white, married, male with 3 children, a decent job, two degrees in Theology and an ever-growing chip on my shoulder. I know enough to know that there is always a “storm period” … Continue reading
A reader sent the link to this video. We’ve got to hand it to this young lady. She is on YouTube, explaining, even evangelizing, like a champ. [wp_youtube]ZDb8LNJ_NB4[/wp_youtube] WDTPRS kudos!