Chicago has had a bad year.
SHOPPING ONLINE? Please, come here first!
Your support is important. Thanks in advance.
To donate monthly via Continue To Give use your phone's camera to activate the Q code or text 4827563 to 715-803-4772 (US) for a link.
For Zelle and Chase, etc., use
frz AT wdtprs DOT com.
About this blog…
“This blog is like a fusion of the Baroque ‘salon’ with its well-tuned harpsichord around which polite society gathered for entertainment and edification and, on the other hand, a Wild West “saloon” with its out-of-tune piano and swinging doors, where everyone has a gun and something to say. Nevertheless, we try to point our discussions back to what it is to be Catholic in this increasingly difficult age, to love God, and how to get to heaven.” – Fr. Z
Coat of Arms by D Burkart
“I’m Fr. Z and I warmly endorse this message!”
Wonderful about St. Joseph! “Terror of Demons”
ABORTION PILL RESCUE NETWORK
- The most evident mark of God’s anger and the most terrible castigation He can inflict upon the world are manifested when He permits His people to fall into the hands of clerics who are priests more in name than in deed, priests who practice the cruelty of ravening wolves rather than the charity and affection of devoted shepherds.
St. John Eudes
I am delighted to have been approved as an affiliate of Chess.com and House of Staunton.
Use FATHERZ10 at checkout for 10% off
Donate using VENMO
GREAT BEER from Traditional Benedictine Monks in Italy
CLICK and say your daily offerings!
Do you want to show some appreciation?
Do you have a faithful Catholic website that needs competent and reliable tech support?
NEW OPPORTUNITY – 10% off with code: FATHERZ10
Fr. Z’s VOICEMAIL
Nota bene: I do not answer these numbers or this Skype address. You won't get me "live". I check for messages regularly.
020 8133 4535
YOUR RECENT COMMENTS
- JGavin on 24 March – Feast of St. Gabriel, Archangel – images: “It is fitting he would grovel. “More honorable then the Cherubim and incomparably more glorious than the Seraphim.” “our tainted…”
- excalibur on “Only what is true can ultimately be pastoral”.: “I fear we are but a few steps behind the Church of Sweden. ************ In the Church of Sweden, under…”
- jaykay on MUST READ! Why do heretics remain in the Church instead of just being honest and getting out?: “Ubi solitudinem faciunt renovationem appellant… to slightly misquote Tacitus.”
- jaykay on Daily Rome Shot 700: “The beautiful Annunciation mosaic in Santa Maria in Trastevere.”
- Grabski on MUST READ! Why do heretics remain in the Church instead of just being honest and getting out?: “Easy: they want to take the assets”
- L. on From “The Private Diary of Bishop F. Atticus McButterpants” – 23-03-24 – Priests retirement home: “I can’t decide whether it would be better for a Bishop to be clueless like His Excellency McButterpants, or to…”
- PNF on MUST READ! Why do heretics remain in the Church instead of just being honest and getting out?: “The reason is because they [the Freemasons] are interested in DESTROYING the Church. Their plan all along has been to…”
- Mario Bird on 24 March – Feast of St. Gabriel, Archangel – images: “Tanner’s Gabriel reminds me of C.S. Lewis’ description of oyarsa from the beginning of Perelandra. Or maybe that’s putting the…”
- Brian J. Wilson on MUST READ! Why do heretics remain in the Church instead of just being honest and getting out?: “My brother works at a Catholic girls’ high school which is affiliated with the Sisters of the (Holy) Humility of…”
- Dave P. on MUST READ! Why do heretics remain in the Church instead of just being honest and getting out?: “I don’t know if this applies to the Dutch and Belgian Churches, but the German bishops don’t have to rely…”
- rosaryarmy on “Only what is true can ultimately be pastoral”.: “I can’t seem to find the exact quote but I believe Mother Angelica once said something along the lines of…”
- Ave Maria on “Only what is true can ultimately be pastoral”.: “God bless and keep that true Shepherd, Bishop Strickland!”
- catholictrad on “Only what is true can ultimately be pastoral”.: “We bear no obedience to error. Pastoral shouldn’t equal error.”
- ThePapalCount on “Only what is true can ultimately be pastoral”.: “WOW. That is powerful. That is courage. Bishop Strickland has thrown down the gauntlet. In two sentences he publicly stands…”
- PatS on “Only what is true can ultimately be pastoral”.: “The problem is they do not know what Pastoral really is. https://www.nationalreview.com/corner/the-vatican-agrees-with-radical-traditionalists/ “ TOP STORIES Stanford DEI Dean Escalates Battle…”
Books which you must have.
This REALLY helps! And it’s great coffee (and tea)
I use this when I travel both in these USA and abroad. Very useful. Fast enough for Zoom. I connect my DMR (ham radio) through it. If you use my link, they give me more data. A GREAT back up.
Don’t rely on popes, bishops and priests.
“He [Satan] will set up a counter-Church which will be the ape of the Church because, he the devil, is the ape of God. It will have all the notes and characteristics of the Church, but in reverse and emptied of its divine content. It will be a mystical body of the anti-Christ that will in all externals resemble the mystical body of Christ. In desperate need for God, whom he nevertheless refuses to adore, modern man in his loneliness and frustration will hunger more and more for membership in a community that will give him enlargement of purpose, but at the cost of losing himself in some vague collectivity.”
“Who is going to save our Church? Not our bishops, not our priests and religious. It is up to you, the people. You have the minds, the eyes, and the ears to save the Church. Your mission is to see that your priests act like priests, your bishops act like bishops.”
- Fulton Sheen
Therefore, ACTIVATE YOUR CONFIRMATION and get to work!
Send Snail Mail to Fr. ZFr John Zuhlsdorf
Tridentine Mass Society of Madison
733 Struck St.
PO BOX 44603
Madison, WI 53744-4603
For email HERE
- “The modern habit of doing ceremonial things unceremoniously is no proof of humility; rather it proves the offender's inability to forget himself in the rite, and his readiness to spoil for every one else the proper pleasure of ritual.”
- C.S. Lewis
This blog has to earn its keep!
PLEASE subscribe via PayPal if it is useful.
That way I have steady income I can plan on, and you wind up regularly on my list of benefactors for whom I pray and for whom I periodically say Holy Mass.
In view of the rapidly changing challenges I now face, I would like to add more $10/month subscribers. Will you please help?
For a one time donation...
As for Latin…
"But if, in any layman who is indeed imbued with literature, ignorance of the Latin language, which we can truly call the 'catholic' language, indicates a certain sluggishness in his love toward the Church, how much more fitting it is that each and every cleric should be adequately practiced and skilled in that language!" - Pius XI
"Let us realize that this remark of Cicero (Brutus 37, 140) can be in a certain way referred to [young lay people]: 'It is not so much a matter of distinction to know Latin as it is disgraceful not to know it.'" - St. John Paul II
- LENTCAzT 2023 – 32: Saturday 4th Week – Annunciation
- MUST READ! Why do heretics remain in the Church instead of just being honest and getting out?
- Daily Rome Shot 700
- “Only what is true can ultimately be pastoral”.
- 24 March – Feast of St. Gabriel, Archangel – images
- From “The Private Diary of Bishop F. Atticus McButterpants” – 23-03-24 – Priests retirement home
- Daily Rome Shot 699
- LENTCAzT 2023 – 31: Friday 4th Week – Dead but rising
- Daily Rome Shot 698
- Pig hearts over altars in Austria, pagan Mayan Mass rite in Mexico, but people who want the Traditional Latin Mass must be ghettoized and railroaded to oblivion.
- LENTCAzT 2023 – 30: Thursday 4th Week – Eternal death and YOU – CORRECTED
- LENTCAzT 2023 – 29: The Ancient Mid-Point
- Daily Rome Shot 697
- VIDEO: Glimpses of Forty Hours
- From “The Private Diary of Bishop F. Atticus McButterpants” – 23-03-21 – Troubled seminarian
- Priests saying STUPID THINGS in the confessional… again
- Daily Rome Shot 696
- LENTCAzT 2023 – 28: Tuesday 4th Week – “What abundance! What generosity!”
- Happy AEQUINOCTIUM!
- Daily Rome Shot 695
- 19 March – Feast of St. Joseph – Hope of the sick, Patron of the dying, Terror of demons, Protector of Holy Church!
- LENTCAzT 2023 – 26: Monday 4th Week – St. Joseph – Help of the dying
- LENTCAzT 2023 – 26: 4th Sunday of Lent – Joy
- Your Sunday Sermon Notes – 4th Sunday of Lent – “Laetare!” – 2023 and a POLL about color of vestments
- Meanwhile, in Kansas
- Daily Rome Shot 694
- WDTPRS – 4th Sunday of Lent – Laetare (N.O.): Prompt devotion and eager faith
- Daily Rome Shot 693
- LENTCAzT 2023 – 25: Saturday 3rd Week – Getting it right after doing it wrong
Let us pray…
Grant unto thy Church, we beseech Thee, O merciful God, that She, being gathered together by the Holy Ghost, may be in no wise troubled by attack from her foes. O God, who by sin art offended and by penance pacified, mercifully regard the prayers of Thy people making supplication unto Thee,and turn away the scourges of Thine anger which we deserve for our sins. Almighty and Everlasting God, in whose Hand are the power and the government of every realm: look down upon and help the Christian people that the heathen nations who trust in the fierceness of their own might may be crushed by the power of thine Arm. Through our Lord Jesus Christ, Thy Son, who liveth and reigneth with Thee in the unity of the Holy Ghost, God, world without end. R. Amen.
Be a “Zed-Head”!
My "challenge coin" for my 25th anniversary of ordination in 2016.
Want one? I do exchanges with military and LEOs, etc.
PLEASE RESPOND. Pretty pleeeease?Loading ...
This is really useful when travelling… and also when you aren’t and you need backup internet NOW! I use this for my DMR “Zednet” hotspot when I’m mobile. It’s a ham radio thing.
If you travel internationally, this is a super useful gizmo for your mobile internet data. I use one. If you get one through my link, I get data rewards.
Please use my links when shopping! I depend on your help.
WDTPRS POLLLoading ...
Fr. Z’s stuff is everywhere
Help support Fr. Z’s Gospel of Life work at no cost to you. Do you need a Real Estate Agent? Calling these people is the FIRST thing you should do!
GREAT causes to support
I just saw about the fire at the cathedral. So sad. I hope it was limited to the roof and there was “only” water damage.
Nice that Cardinal Bertone finally got around to saying something. Sandro Magister made a point of noting that Bertone was conspicuous by his absence and by the shambles in the Curia.
I just watched a tape of his Eminence’s press conference, and he said that the Blessed Sacrament was safely removed from the cathedral. He also said that as far as he understands it, the water damage to the Organ was minimal to nothing. Everything else, like the murals, ceilings, etc. all depend on the roof damage, until they can see behind them.
My first thought on hearing about the fire was about the Blessed Sacrament. I’m very elated that proper steps were taken for a successful rescue. Now, however, I pray that the damage will be limited and easily repaired. I’m willing to donate to restore the Cathedral.
What a tragic development. Maybe the good that will come of this will be a re-re-restoration of the space to a more traditional and original, hence a more beautiful setting. We can hope.
It had been wreckovated aplenty.
This fire reminds me of the scene in “Raiders of the Lost Ark” where after the Ark of the Covenant was placed in a wooden crate and marked with Nazi symbols, the Ark later charred black the Nazi markings off of the wood.
My point is that I think the old church is trying to purify itself. This beautiful Cathedral went thru a horrible and wretched renovation in the “Spirit of Vatican II” in 1969. The original stained glass windows, painted murals and carved wooden altars were removed and replaced with what some people think are Satanic images. They are at the least extremely ugly and alien looking.
You can view the art in question at the following video:
Hopefully the good parishoners will return this wonderful building to it’s former glory before the modernistic “wreckovation” of 1969.
I hope the fire was limited to the stained glass windows…they’re ugly!
Ha! It is truly awesome, that a product of the wonderful Newman Center at the University of Illinois (www.newmanfoundation.org) was the one who immediately thought to save the blessed Sacrament. Kudos to Fr. Matt Compton!
The cathedral was closed during spring and summer last year because pieces of the ceiling were falling into the nave. And now this. Perhaps this may open the way for a decent and appropriate renovation of this cathedral.
I like Steve’s assessment.
I wonder what happened to the Galeros (red hats) of the deceased cardinals which were hanging over the sanctuary.
(The galero of a deceased Cardinal is supposed to be hung over his tomb, or in his church, and remain there until it falls apart. An irreverent tale suggests that when the galero finally falls apart, its owner was finally released from Purgatory.)
Was anybody hurt?
“Archdiocese officials said the five cardinals’ hats, or galeros, suspended from the ceiling were drenched but remain intact. Each hat had been raised after a cardinal’s death.”
According to reports there was only one injury of a fireman who sprained his back.
The Galeros are still there… just a bit wet. The media asked about them in the first press conference with the Cardinal.
There are serious structural and design issues with the present Cathedral. The renovation in the late 60s wasn’t the worst… but it wasn’t very good either. Hopefully this will lead to an effort to rebuild the Cathedral to match the beauty of many of the other great Churches in Chicago.
mary martha – “According to reports there was only one injury of a fireman who sprained his back.”
Thank you, mary martha.
I also was sorry to see the venerable Cathedral burn and was intrigued by Steve’scomments.
The last time I was in Holy Name Cathedral was 1959, as a member of St. Cajetan’s elementary school’s boys choir. Our Parish was pitted against many other Parish choirs, including the much vaunted Vienna Boys Choir. The whispered “skinny” that circulated amoung us, was that the Austrian’s were in reality young men in their 20’s and 30’s who had been involuntarily castrated to retain their high soprano’s from becoming tenor’s/bassist’s. It probably explains why i didn’t pursue a singing career after that.
Dr. Mel-South carolin
Poor HNC parishioners. First last year’s roof collapse and now this. We have a bit of a history, however, in our city, of rising from the ashes.
It seems now that two years running our men will not be ordained in the Cathedral.
As a member of the Metropolitan See of Chicago, I pray that His Emminence will use this time to restore the Cathedral to its glory and beauty, prior to the 60s “remodeling.”
I have been to Daily Mass at Holy Name Cathedral a few times when I was in Chicago in business. The term “wreckovation” is an understatement. I hope Cardinal George leads the effort to restore the Cathedral to its former self.