Search Fr. Z’s Blog
SHOPPING ONLINE? Please, come here first!
Your use of my Amazon link is a major part of my income. It helps to pay for insurance, groceries, everything. Please remember me when shopping online. Thanks in advance.
Try AmazonFresh Free Trial
Shop Amazon Gold Box - New Deals. Everyday
Shop Amazon Gift Cards - Instant Delivery or Free One-Day Shipping
Try Prime Discounted Monthly Offering
And you do need a Kindle! - HERE
Kindle Unlimited Membership Plans
About this blog…
“This blog is like a fusion of the Baroque ‘salon’ with its well-tuned harpsichord around which polite society gathered for entertainment and edification and, on the other hand, a Wild West “saloon” with its out-of-tune piano and swinging doors, where everyone has a gun and something to say. Nevertheless, we try to point our discussions back to what it is to be Catholic in this increasingly difficult age, to love God, and how to get to heaven.” – Fr. Z
Coat of Arms by D Burkart
CLICK and say your daily offerings!
Do you want to show some appreciation?
Do you have a faithful Catholic website that needs competent and reliable tech support?
YOUR RECENT COMMENTS
- BrionyB: KateD – if Wikipedia is to be trusted, Benedict’s mother would indeed have been early 40s when he (the youngest) was born. Maybe they did marry late, or for some reason had their...
- Rob83: This seems to call for respectful ly writing to the President to request either that the orders be withdrawn or that provision for the men be made on-base.
- KateD: I’m so sorry for Pope Benedict’s loss. What a beautiful familyR 30;. As an older mom, I’m wondering, were the Ratzinger’ s older when they married?
- Andrew Saucci: I have to disagree with the Archbishop when he says, “Whi le the current situation in the US is certainly not one of persecutio n… 8221; I’ll cut him a little...
- hwriggles4: Archbishop Broglio: Thank you for standing up for the Church. Your efforts are appreciate d. Years ago, I applied for a Direct Commission Engineer to the US Coast Guard. I didn’ ;t...
- Chrissin: It’s not just tragic – it’s actually ridiculous …. Call Chris Ferrara! Thomas More Society. He just won a suit against Cuomo in NY for the lockdown rules imposed...
- AA Cunningham: An unlawful order which, under the UCMJ – Uniform Code of Military Justice, service personnel are under absolutely no obligation to follow.
- adriennep: Keep praying for Georg and his very holy family. What parents to have raised such devout children! I heartily recommend his book My Brother, the Pope. It is full of charming anecdot...
- Joy1985: Lord PLEASE help the best man win in November to guide our country for the next 4 years.
- Semper Gumby: A Happy 4th of July to all. God bless America and long may her flag wave. “It is our solemn duty as Catholics, therefore, to be conscious of our duty to America, and to prese...
- Antonin: #1 Accessibil ity to guns increases the probabilit y that you will have gun violence. This is simple math. So reducing accessibil ity will reduce gun violence – again simple math....
- Semper Gumby: Fr. Z: The Star-spang led Banner by the BRCC Rhythm and Blues Revue. https://yo utu.be/DHL lwiLebkc
- dafrenchman: In the meantime, our local Bishop is supporting BLM https://ww w.dolr.org /article/b ishop-issu es-black-l ives-matte r-statemen t The reference links are a who’ s who of left...
- SKAY: Thank you Father Z. In spite of everything , we are blessed to live in this great country. Thankfully we are still a free nation although there are those who would like to change that with...
- philosophicallyfrank: I use to tell people that we live in strange times; but, not any more. Now I say that we live in bazaar times, both in our secular world and our religious world. Histori...
- Kathleen10: Fr. Z it’s been so discouragi ng seeing what has been happening in our nation in the last few weeks. I was inert, but rather than just give up and give in I’ve made a...
- Eugene: Correction .. meant to write Kenora NOT Kendra
- Mariana2: Why were oranges tossed?
- Grant M: So communion on the tongue is unambiguou sly FEEDING, whereas communion in the hand is a more ambiguous GIVING, with an implicit contract “giv en for immediate consumptio n ONLY...
- Charivari Rob: In many places where indoor Mass has resumed, caps on the number of people permitted at indoor gatherings and requiremen ts to clean/sani tize the space between uses might mean it is...
- OssaSola: I took a look at the Meditation s book and was disappoint ed to find there were no “Look Inside this Book” sample pages available. Any chance a single meditation could be posted here?
- APX: This is painfully too true.
- Semper Gumby: “War thogs and Harriers 8221; Fast-mover s are always good for morale. Another option is MRAPs filling the street curb to curb, loudspeake rs blaring Dies irae and chuck...
- Fr. John Zuhlsdorf: Semper Gumby says: good news Yes, indeed, that IS good news. More good news would be for Air Force A-10 Warthogs to visit the Antifa chaos sure to hatch up from the demonic muck...
- samwise: Mt 13:57 “and they took offense at him”
Fr. Z’s VOICEMAIL
Nota bene: I do not answer these numbers or this Skype address. You won't get me "live". I check for messages regularly.
020 8133 4535
Books which you must have.
Don’t rely on popes, bishops and priests.
“Who is going to save our Church? Not our bishops, not our priests and religious. It is up to you, the people. You have the minds, the eyes, and the ears to save the Church. Your mission is to see that your priests act like priests, your bishops act like bishops.”
- Fulton Sheen
Therefore, ACTIVATE YOUR CONFIRMATION and get to work!
Send Snail Mail to Fr. Z
“The modern habit of doing ceremonial things unceremoniously is no proof of humility; rather it proves the offender's inability to forget himself in the rite, and his readiness to spoil for every one else the proper pleasure of ritual.”
- C.S. Lewis
This blog has to earn its keep!
PLEASE subscribe if it is useful.
That way I have steady income I can plan on, and you wind up regularly on my list of benefactors for whom I pray and for whom I periodically say Holy Mass.
For a one time donation...
I set up a
CONTINUE TO GIVE
account, which functions rather like PayPal. Some of you use it. Here is a QCode you can use with your smart phones. Try it!
Also, to receive a link to donate via Continue To Give using your smart phone SEND MESSAGE:
4827563 TO: 715-803-4772 (USA)
Some donations also come through CHASE. That works well. I don't think they take any percentage as fees.
I was at this conference last year. IT IS ON FOR THIS YEAR!
As for Latin…
"But if, in any layman who is indeed imbued with literature, ignorance of the Latin language, which we can truly call the 'catholic' language, indicates a certain sluggishness in his love toward the Church, how much more fitting it is that each and every cleric should be adequately practiced and skilled in that language!" - Pius XI
"Let us realize that this remark of Cicero (Brutus 37, 140) can be in a certain way referred to [young lay people]: 'It is not so much a matter of distinction to know Latin as it is disgraceful not to know it.'" - St. John Paul II
- URGENT: Archbp. Broglio of @MilArchUSA on Navy Prohibiting Participation in Off-Base Religious Services
- UPDATE on FEEDBACK: How has the COVID-1984 lockdown changed you LITURGICALLY? Priests and laity.
- 4 July – Traditional Latin Mass – Votive of Immaculate Heart of Mary – LIVE VIDEO: 1200h CDT (GMT/UTC -5)
- ACTION ITEM! URGENT PRAYER SUGGESTION! Archbp. Carroll’s “Prayer for Government”
- GREAT BOOK: With Latin in the Service of the Popes: The Memoirs of Antonio Cardinal Bacci (1885?1971)
- Sadly amusing sign of the times
- 3 July – Traditional Latin Mass – St. Irenaeus – LIVE VIDEO: 1200h CDT (GMT/UTC -5)
- PRIESTS: Are you available to take a “Gregorian Mass” intention? UPDATE
- ASK FATHER: Should there still be “parking lot Masses” even though churches are opening again?
- ASK FATHER: Signing a contract, like for a credit card, but with 35 pages of small print.
- 2 July – Traditional Latin Mass – Visitation of the BVM – LIVE VIDEO: 1200h CDT (GMT/UTC -5)
- 1 July – Most Precious Blood and St. Aaron and St. Junipero Serra
- The lunacy is spreading: Northern Ontario
- ASK FATHER: Should we ransom Hosts that have been taken so they are not desecrated? At what cost?
- R.I.P. Msgr Georg Ratzinger
- 1 July – Traditional Latin Mass – Most Precious Blood – LIVE VIDEO: 1200h CDT (GMT/UTC -5)
- Fishwrap’s case of the vapors over a annual, rural gun show hosted in an unused Catholic school
- 30 June – Traditional Latin Mass – Commemoration of St. Paul – LIVE VIDEO: 1200h CDT (GMT/UTC -5)
- NEW ADDITIONS TO THE FAMILY! Three more relics have arrived. Fr. Z tells a story.
- Searching for a specific reader who sent something from my wishlist
- SCOTUS decision on Louisiana abortion clinic law.
- 29 June – Traditional Latin Mass – Sts. Peter and Paul, Apostles – LIVE VIDEO: 1200h CDT (GMT/UTC -5)
- Your Sunday Sermon notes – 4th Sunday after Pentecost (13th Ordinary) 2020
- CQ CQ CQ – #HamRadio: Fun with Morse
- Concerning statues
- Archbp. Cordilone recites the Exorcism where a statue of St. Junipero Serra was town down. OORAH!
- First Blessings by new priests. Indulgenced? NO! Interesting Latin texts. And Fr. Z rants.
- 27 June – Traditional Latin Mass – Our Lady of Perpetual Help – LIVE VIDEO: 1200h CDT (GMT/UTC -5)
- COVID-1984 UPDATE: Doctors say Communion on the tongue while kneeling is safer than Communion on the hand
- WDTPRS – 4th Sunday after Pentecost: “O Captain, my Captain!”
Let us pray…
Grant unto thy Church, we beseech Thee, O merciful God, that She, being gathered together by the Holy Ghost, may be in no wise troubled by attack from her foes. O God, who by sin art offended and by penance pacified, mercifully regard the prayers of Thy people making supplication unto Thee,and turn away the scourges of Thine anger which we deserve for our sins. Almighty and Everlasting God, in whose Hand are the power and the government of every realm: look down upon and help the Christian people that the heathen nations who trust in the fierceness of their own might may be crushed by the power of thine Arm. Through our Lord Jesus Christ, Thy Son, who liveth and reigneth with Thee in the unity of the Holy Ghost, God, world without end. R. Amen.
Yes, Fr. Z is taking ads…
Because it matters what children read…
Be a “Zed-Head”!
I carry one of these super-strong rosaries in my spare mag pouch! The Swiss Guards have them too!
My "challenge coin" for my 25th anniversary of ordination in 2016.
Want one? I do exchanges with military and LEOs, etc. and you can make a donation.
PLEASE RESPOND. Pretty pleeeease?Loading ...
This is really useful when travelling… and also when you aren’t and you need backup internet NOW! I use this for my DMR “Zednet” hotspot when I’m mobile. It’s a ham radio thing.
If you travel internationally, this is a super useful gizmo for your mobile internet data. I use one. If you get one through my link, I get data rewards.
Please use my links when shopping! I depend on your help.
WDTPRS POLLLoading ...
“Rigid”? Pfffft. “Faithful!” No priest’s desk or kitchen is complete without one, for young, old, and priests in general.
Fr. Z’s stuff is everywhere
Help support Fr. Z’s Gospel of Life work at no cost to you. Do you need a Real Estate Agent? Calling these people is the FIRST thing you should do!
GREAT causes to support
Daily Archives: 5 February 2009
His Excellency Most Reverend, Joseph Martino, Bishop of SCranton, has just published his letter to Sen. Robert Casey (D-PA) regarding his vote against the Martinez amendment which would have prevented President Obama from rescinding the Mexico City policy. Bishop Martino … Continue reading
The Italian site Messa in latino has an interesting post about a network of German priests, Priesternetzwerk, who support Pope Benedict. They are alarmed at the bad treatment in the German press and the ambiguous attitude of some of their … Continue reading
On a lighter and more immediate note: Is it allowed or recommended to starch an alb? The priest that says the EF Mass for us needs help with the cleaning, mending, etc. of his albs and other liturgical garments. I … Continue reading
Lots of people are talking now along these lines… "Bishop Williamson must change his views or, if there is a reconciliation of the SSPX, he won’t be given an assignment." Folks, inter alia, Williamson was born in 1940. Do the … Continue reading
Some critics of the Pope are suggesting that the Vatican is open to the hard-liners on the right, but closed and cold to the warm-hearted forward-looking progressive thinkers on the left. The Pope is willing to bend over backward for … Continue reading
In the official newspaper of the Diocese of Columbus, OH, there is an interesting notice from the Office of Worship. It is a brief piece, and therefore cannot drill to depth, but it is useful nonethess. And the topic couldn’t … Continue reading
A friend sent me this. I think it applies to many spheres of life. It even applies to our "brick by brick" approach to rebuilding Catholic identity, one little move in obscurity at a time. Mostly, this applies to moms, … Continue reading
This from LifeSite. Vatican Official: Bishops Have no Choice But to Refuse Communion to Pro-Abort PoliticiansBy Hilary White ROME, January 30, 2009 (LifeSiteNews.com) – Archbishop Raymond Burke, in an exclusive interview last week, told LifeSiteNews.com that the issue of pro-abortion … Continue reading
The WaPo’s On Faith has a note from Fr. Thomas J Reese, side-lined former editor of America. For some reason he still in everyone’s Rolodex. Reese has a comment on Pope Benedict. I am sure you were waiting for it. … Continue reading
Are any there any priest readers of WDTPRS from San Antonio, TX? Drop me a line if you have a moment. Question for you.
In the latest number of The Catholic Herald, the best Catholic news weekly in the UK, there are some interesting stories. I see the online edition, which is really useful! I’ll just do a stream of first impressions about things … Continue reading
If you are in the USA, you have seen the "Hi, I’m a PC… and I’m a Mac" commercials. Amusing. You have heard the smug superiority of Mac users. (I guarantee you are going to hear more in the combox!) … Continue reading
Time has jumped into the fray, commenting on the lifting of the excommunications of the four… well… let’s be honest… the one SSPX Bishop Williamson. Time’s Rome correspondent hasn’t reported Catholic events and issues concerning traditional expressions of Catholicism with … Continue reading