SHOPPING ONLINE? Please, come here first!
About this blog…
“This blog is like a fusion of the Baroque ‘salon’ with its well-tuned harpsichord around which polite society gathered for entertainment and edification and, on the other hand, a Wild West “saloon” with its out-of-tune piano and swinging doors, where everyone has a gun and something to say. Nevertheless, we try to point our discussions back to what it is to be Catholic in this increasingly difficult age, to love God, and how to get to heaven.” – Fr. Z
Coat of Arms by D Burkart
Wonderful about St. Joseph! “Terror of Demons”
- The most evident mark of God’s anger and the most terrible castigation He can inflict upon the world are manifested when He permits His people to fall into the hands of clerics who are priests more in name than in deed, priests who practice the cruelty of ravening wolves rather than the charity and affection of devoted shepherds.
St. John Eudes
Donate using VENMO
GREAT BEER from Traditional Benedictine Monks in Italy
CLICK and say your daily offerings!
Do you want to show some appreciation?
Do you have a faithful Catholic website that needs competent and reliable tech support?
NEW OPPORTUNITY – 10% off with code: FATHERZ10
Fr. Z’s VOICEMAIL
Nota bene: I do not answer these numbers or this Skype address. You won't get me "live". I check for messages regularly.
020 8133 4535
YOUR RECENT COMMENTS
Books which you must have.
This REALLY helps! And it’s great coffee (and tea)
I use this when I travel both in these USA and abroad. Very useful. Fast enough for Zoom. I connect my DMR (ham radio) through it. If you use my link, they give me more data. A GREAT back up.
Don’t rely on popes, bishops and priests.
“He [Satan] will set up a counter-Church which will be the ape of the Church because, he the devil, is the ape of God. It will have all the notes and characteristics of the Church, but in reverse and emptied of its divine content. It will be a mystical body of the anti-Christ that will in all externals resemble the mystical body of Christ. In desperate need for God, whom he nevertheless refuses to adore, modern man in his loneliness and frustration will hunger more and more for membership in a community that will give him enlargement of purpose, but at the cost of losing himself in some vague collectivity.”
“Who is going to save our Church? Not our bishops, not our priests and religious. It is up to you, the people. You have the minds, the eyes, and the ears to save the Church. Your mission is to see that your priests act like priests, your bishops act like bishops.”
- Fulton Sheen
Therefore, ACTIVATE YOUR CONFIRMATION and get to work!
Send Snail Mail to Fr. Z
- “The modern habit of doing ceremonial things unceremoniously is no proof of humility; rather it proves the offender's inability to forget himself in the rite, and his readiness to spoil for every one else the proper pleasure of ritual.”
- C.S. Lewis
This blog has to earn its keep!
PLEASE subscribe via PayPal if it is useful.
That way I have steady income I can plan on, and you wind up regularly on my list of benefactors for whom I pray and for whom I periodically say Holy Mass.
In view of the rapidly changing challenges I now face, I would like to add more $10/month subscribers. Will you please help?
For a one time donation...
As for Latin…
"But if, in any layman who is indeed imbued with literature, ignorance of the Latin language, which we can truly call the 'catholic' language, indicates a certain sluggishness in his love toward the Church, how much more fitting it is that each and every cleric should be adequately practiced and skilled in that language!" - Pius XI
"Let us realize that this remark of Cicero (Brutus 37, 140) can be in a certain way referred to [young lay people]: 'It is not so much a matter of distinction to know Latin as it is disgraceful not to know it.'" - St. John Paul II
- Look at even more of “Desiderio desideravi”
- Daily Rome Shot 496
- The power of the traditional liturgy to open people up to the Catholic Faith must never be underestimated.
- Just Too Cool: Salt and Pepper repurposed
- ASK FATHER: Devotions for months and days of the week
- “Gregorian Mass” match ups: available priests with people who have requests
- ACTION ITEM! URGENT PRAYER SUGGESTION! Archbp. Carroll’s “Prayer for Government”
- ASK FATHER: How can we help priests who are in “hot water” because they are traditional?
- Your Sunday Sermon Notes: 4th Sunday after Pentecost (N.O. 14th Sunday)
- African Zairian Rite celebrated in St. Peter’s Basilica – UPATED: Meanwhile, Down Under….
- WDTPRS – 4th Sunday after Pentecost: What is “devotion?
- ROME 22/06 – Day 32: My View For Awhile
- 1 July – Most Precious Blood and also the Feasts of St. Junipero Serra and St. Aaron, brother of Moses
- ROME 22/06 – Day 31: Someone saw the list… no… the Letter!
- Look at more of “Desiderio desideravi”
- You have seen the logo for the 2025 Jubilee? – UPDATED
- 29 June 1972. Paul VI says, “the smoke of Satan has entered the Church of God”
- Francis’ NEW “Desiderio desideravi” an Apostolic Letter “on the liturgical formation of the people of God” – an attempt to explain Traditionis custodes, to calm the storm
- Batten down the hatches!
- ASK FATHER: Are we obliged to avoid businesses which will pay for employees’ abortion?
- ROME 22/06 – Day 28: Guess the meat
- In your goodness, pray for falsely accused priests and canceled priests
- ROME 22/06 – Day 26: Indulgences and indulgences
- Your Sunday Sermon Notes: 3rd Sunday after Pentecost (N.O. 13th Sunday)
- ROME 22/06 – Day 25: Really day 26, but… hey!
- ROME 22/06 – Day 24: “talkin’ ’bout my g-g-generation”
- It’s as if the stars aligned on 24 June
- ROME 22/06 – Day 23: Resistance is futile
- On this Feast of the Sacred Heart, when SCOTUS overturned Roe, remember that “Abortion Pill” use will be pushed hard by the Left, and that there is a SAFE REVERSAL after the first pill. @HeartbeatIntl
- US SUPREME COURT issued Opinion on Dobbs v. Jackson – ROE and CASEY OVERTURNED
Let us pray…
Grant unto thy Church, we beseech Thee, O merciful God, that She, being gathered together by the Holy Ghost, may be in no wise troubled by attack from her foes. O God, who by sin art offended and by penance pacified, mercifully regard the prayers of Thy people making supplication unto Thee,and turn away the scourges of Thine anger which we deserve for our sins. Almighty and Everlasting God, in whose Hand are the power and the government of every realm: look down upon and help the Christian people that the heathen nations who trust in the fierceness of their own might may be crushed by the power of thine Arm. Through our Lord Jesus Christ, Thy Son, who liveth and reigneth with Thee in the unity of the Holy Ghost, God, world without end. R. Amen.
Yes, Fr. Z is taking ads…
Be a “Zed-Head”!
My "challenge coin" for my 25th anniversary of ordination in 2016.
Want one? I do exchanges with military and LEOs, etc.
PLEASE RESPOND. Pretty pleeeease?Loading ...
This is really useful when travelling… and also when you aren’t and you need backup internet NOW! I use this for my DMR “Zednet” hotspot when I’m mobile. It’s a ham radio thing.
If you travel internationally, this is a super useful gizmo for your mobile internet data. I use one. If you get one through my link, I get data rewards.
Please use my links when shopping! I depend on your help.
WDTPRS POLLLoading ...
Fr. Z’s stuff is everywhere
Help support Fr. Z’s Gospel of Life work at no cost to you. Do you need a Real Estate Agent? Calling these people is the FIRST thing you should do!
GREAT causes to support
Category Archives: Our Catholic Identity
UPDATED – But, apparently, the REAL problem in the Church today are those Catholics who want the Traditional Latin Mass – VIDEO
UPDATE 13 Feb 22: Rosary of Reparation, after Koranic prayers were chanted in the church of St Sulpice in Paris pic.twitter.com/wvEbsPRjNT — UKPrays (@uk_prays) February 12, 2022 Originally Published on: Feb 9, 2022 I have had experience with Canadian Sulpicians. … Read More
Iron sharpens iron! A new initiative in the UK called the Catholic Military Association of Our Lady of Victories
From readers in the UK… Dear Fr Z I’m writing to let you know about a new initiative in the UK called the Catholic Military Association of Our Lady of Victories. The Assoc draws it’s membership from serving and reserve … Read More
Consider a few points, in no particular order. Traditionis custodes and the Dubious Dubia (TC&DD) are an incoherent mess. TC&DD are founded on faulty theological grounds: that Vatican II is the lens through which all doctrine and discipline of the … Read More
At The Catholic Thing, John M. Grodelski makes an obvious but NOT thereby less valuable point. Let’s see. January 1, 2022 was a Saturday. January 1, 2023 is a Sunday. January 1, 2024 is a Monday. Only one of those January … Read More
At The Catholic Thing there is a good description by David Carlin of the miserable, enervated choke the bishops showed the world at their last USCCB meeting. As my dad, a connoisseur of baseball puts it, it’s hard to win with … Read More
I just received beautifully conceived, designed, drawn and printed poster sized calendars from Sophia Press for the Seasons of Advent, Christmas, Epiphany with a special guide sheet as an introduction to their LiturgyOfTheHome.com initiative (go take a look – it’s … Read More
The US bishops are going to meet in their annual November blabfest. It seems they will discuss how to revive belief in and devotion to the Eucharist. I am not overly sanguine about their ability to produce anything proportioned to … Read More
The perspicacious Fr. John Hunwicke has at his ever-satisfying blog a few thoughts about the incoherence of the cruel Traditionis custodes (TC). I reproduce them here but urge you to click over and see what he recently offered about the … Read More
At the traditional parish in Rome, Santissima Trinità dei Pellegrini, there was a nice ceremony in honor of all the saints. This could also be done on the Feast of Holy Relics, on 1o December in the 1962 calendar. Before … Read More
ASK FATHER: 1 Nov this year is on a Monday, so Mass is not obligatory. But do we still have to refrain from work? – UPDATE and CORRECTED
UPDATE: 2 Nov 2021 The official decree, not as it’s posted on the USCCB website, but in the book, has clearer wording. When 1 January, 15 August, or 1 November fall on a Saturday or Monday, “they will not be … Read More
Majority of Catholics don’t know about the cruel attempt to suppress the Traditional Latin Mass. Wherein Fr. Z rants.
We need to work harder, friends. Some time ago, Pew Research Center did a poll and found that “Two-thirds of U.S. Catholics unaware of pope’s new restrictions on traditional Latin Mass”. HERE This is interesting, because it shows how Catholic … Read More
From a reader… QUAERITUR: Our pastor is a wonderful, faith-filled priest who absolutely loves the traditional liturgy. We are lucky to have him. He’s also a magnificent preacher. However, I’ve noticed he sometimes doesn’t preach at Sunday Mass. Even though … Read More
I recently shared the sad news about the cold suppression of the faithful in Guadalajara by Francisco Card. Robles Ortega following the cruel and unnecessary Traditionis custodes. I warmly invite you to resist this cruelty on the part of bishops … Read More
Benedict XVI breaks silence: intro to new volume in an anthology series – includes thoughts on “same-sex unions”
I recall a time when I was genuinely eager for the rumored release of papal documents. They would come out and I would read them carefully looking for the good stuff. These days I don’t have that zeal and I … Read More
The Collect for the 23rd Ordinary Sunday – this Sunday – was not in any pre-Conciliar edition of the Roman Missal, but it was in the 8th century Gelasian Sacramentary in a section for evening prayers during Paschaltide. You have … Read More
From an alumnus of the North American College (US seminary in Rome) … edited so that the style of writing can’t be traced to any one priest by those who might recognize it. As a NAC grad, I read your … Read More
From a reader… QUAERITUR: Is it OK to get a divorce if you do not intend to get remarried? Although I admit to all my faults and know I am far from perfect, my wife has been an alcoholic for … Read More