SHOPPING ONLINE? Please, come here first!
Your support is important. Thanks in advance.
To donate monthly via Continue To Give use your phone's camera to activate the Q code or text 4827563 to 715-803-4772 (US) for a link.
For Zelle and Chase, etc., use
frz AT wdtprs DOT com.
About this blog…
“This blog is like a fusion of the Baroque ‘salon’ with its well-tuned harpsichord around which polite society gathered for entertainment and edification and, on the other hand, a Wild West “saloon” with its out-of-tune piano and swinging doors, where everyone has a gun and something to say. Nevertheless, we try to point our discussions back to what it is to be Catholic in this increasingly difficult age, to love God, and how to get to heaven.” – Fr. Z
Coat of Arms by D Burkart
“I’m Fr. Z and I warmly endorse this message!”
Wonderful about St. Joseph! “Terror of Demons”
ABORTION PILL RESCUE NETWORK
- The most evident mark of God’s anger and the most terrible castigation He can inflict upon the world are manifested when He permits His people to fall into the hands of clerics who are priests more in name than in deed, priests who practice the cruelty of ravening wolves rather than the charity and affection of devoted shepherds.
St. John Eudes
Donate using VENMO
GREAT BEER from Traditional Benedictine Monks in Italy
CLICK and say your daily offerings!
Do you want to show some appreciation?
Do you have a faithful Catholic website that needs competent and reliable tech support?
NEW OPPORTUNITY – 10% off with code: FATHERZ10
Fr. Z’s VOICEMAIL
Nota bene: I do not answer these numbers or this Skype address. You won't get me "live". I check for messages regularly.
020 8133 4535
YOUR RECENT COMMENTS
- Not on From “The Private Diary of Bishop F. Atticus McButterpants” – 23-03-21 – Troubled seminarian: “Hope and pray you feel better soon. I have many good friends who are Traditional Nuns in full Habit. They…”
- Fr. John Zuhlsdorf on Daily Rome Shot 696: “White to move. Look at those rooks. 1. Rf8+ Rxf8 2. Rxf8+ Kxf8 3. Qxh7”
- Animadversor on Priests saying STUPID THINGS in the confessional… again: “Well, someone should be reciting the Athanasian Creed on the regular!”
- JustaSinner on Priests saying STUPID THINGS in the confessional… again: “Is it acceptable for Priests to have a printed form, ie cheat sheet, with them in Confessional?”
- cmfzed on From “The Private Diary of Bishop F. Atticus McButterpants” – 23-03-21 – Troubled seminarian: “+McB may have good handwriting but I am trying real hard not to be distracted by all the childish doodles…”
- Cincinnati Priest 2 on From “The Private Diary of Bishop F. Atticus McButterpants” – 23-03-17 – Bp. Fatty celebrates St. Patty: “All the ruckus about dispensation for St. Patrick’s day in the U.S. seems highly overblown. Is it really a big…”
- Gaetano on From “The Private Diary of Bishop F. Atticus McButterpants” – 23-03-21 – Troubled seminarian: “The mention of CPE gave me an instant & involuntary shudder. Indeed, Clinical Pastoral Education is one of the great…”
- VForr on Daily Rome Shot 696: “What a fantastic photo. I am excited for the ones you will be taking and sharing soon during your travels…”
- Fr. John Zuhlsdorf on From “The Private Diary of Bishop F. Atticus McButterpants” – 23-03-21 – Troubled seminarian: “Not really. Chalk it up to a simple scribal error. Bp. McB has pretty decent handwriting. Something the sisters probably…”
- Deacon Nicholas on From “The Private Diary of Bishop F. Atticus McButterpants” – 23-03-21 – Troubled seminarian: “Looks like your spy was able to time travel.”
- David L Alexander on Priests saying STUPID THINGS in the confessional… again: “At my territorial parish, this won’t be a problem. They always say: “May almighty God have mercy on you, forgive…”
- redneckpride4ever on From “The Private Diary of Bishop F. Atticus McButterpants” – 23-03-21 – Troubled seminarian: “If I had to guess, Butch’s grandson enrolled in an ICKSP or FSSP seminary. Nothing screams “schismatic” like orthodox Catholicism.”
- JGavin on Priests saying STUPID THINGS in the confessional… again: “Simon_GNR, your point re difficult to extemporize or ad lib is an argument for returning to the use of Latin…”
- Philmont237 on Priests saying STUPID THINGS in the confessional… again: “I had a priest say to me in Confession, “I forgive you..” instead of “I absolve you…” When I asked…”
- Venerator Sti Lot on Happy AEQUINOCTIUM!: “Thank you for this! It sent me checking to see if it was featured in Gregor Joseph Werner’s Neuer und…”
Books which you must have.
This REALLY helps! And it’s great coffee (and tea)
I use this when I travel both in these USA and abroad. Very useful. Fast enough for Zoom. I connect my DMR (ham radio) through it. If you use my link, they give me more data. A GREAT back up.
Don’t rely on popes, bishops and priests.
“He [Satan] will set up a counter-Church which will be the ape of the Church because, he the devil, is the ape of God. It will have all the notes and characteristics of the Church, but in reverse and emptied of its divine content. It will be a mystical body of the anti-Christ that will in all externals resemble the mystical body of Christ. In desperate need for God, whom he nevertheless refuses to adore, modern man in his loneliness and frustration will hunger more and more for membership in a community that will give him enlargement of purpose, but at the cost of losing himself in some vague collectivity.”
“Who is going to save our Church? Not our bishops, not our priests and religious. It is up to you, the people. You have the minds, the eyes, and the ears to save the Church. Your mission is to see that your priests act like priests, your bishops act like bishops.”
- Fulton Sheen
Therefore, ACTIVATE YOUR CONFIRMATION and get to work!
Send Snail Mail to Fr. ZFr John Zuhlsdorf
Tridentine Mass Society of Madison
733 Struck St.
PO BOX 44603
Madison, WI 53744-4603
For email HERE
- “The modern habit of doing ceremonial things unceremoniously is no proof of humility; rather it proves the offender's inability to forget himself in the rite, and his readiness to spoil for every one else the proper pleasure of ritual.”
- C.S. Lewis
This blog has to earn its keep!
PLEASE subscribe via PayPal if it is useful.
That way I have steady income I can plan on, and you wind up regularly on my list of benefactors for whom I pray and for whom I periodically say Holy Mass.
In view of the rapidly changing challenges I now face, I would like to add more $10/month subscribers. Will you please help?
For a one time donation...
As for Latin…
"But if, in any layman who is indeed imbued with literature, ignorance of the Latin language, which we can truly call the 'catholic' language, indicates a certain sluggishness in his love toward the Church, how much more fitting it is that each and every cleric should be adequately practiced and skilled in that language!" - Pius XI
"Let us realize that this remark of Cicero (Brutus 37, 140) can be in a certain way referred to [young lay people]: 'It is not so much a matter of distinction to know Latin as it is disgraceful not to know it.'" - St. John Paul II
- LENTCAzT 2023 – 29: The Ancient Mid-Point
- Daily Rome Shot 697
- VIDEO: Glimpses of Forty Hours
- From “The Private Diary of Bishop F. Atticus McButterpants” – 23-03-21 – Troubled seminarian
- Priests saying STUPID THINGS in the confessional… again
- Daily Rome Shot 696
- LENTCAzT 2023 – 28: Tuesday 4th Week – “What abundance! What generosity!”
- Happy AEQUINOCTIUM!
- Daily Rome Shot 695
- 19 March – Feast of St. Joseph – Hope of the sick, Patron of the dying, Terror of demons, Protector of Holy Church!
- LENTCAzT 2023 – 26: Monday 4th Week – St. Joseph – Help of the dying
- LENTCAzT 2023 – 26: 4th Sunday of Lent – Joy
- Your Sunday Sermon Notes – 4th Sunday of Lent – “Laetare!” – 2023 and a POLL about color of vestments
- Meanwhile, in Kansas
- Daily Rome Shot 694
- WDTPRS – 4th Sunday of Lent – Laetare (N.O.): Prompt devotion and eager faith
- Daily Rome Shot 693
- LENTCAzT 2023 – 25: Saturday 3rd Week – Getting it right after doing it wrong
- From “The Private Diary of Bishop F. Atticus McButterpants” – 23-03-17 – Bp. Fatty celebrates St. Patty
- LENTCAzT 2023 – 24: Friday 3rd Week of Lent – Burn, baby, BURN!
- “Christ with me, Christ before me, Christ behind me…” The mighty Lorica of Saint Patrick
- Daily Rome Shot 693
- A peek at the Moon
- Daily Rome Shot 692
- LENTCAzT 2023 – 23: Thursday 3rd Week – Jesus applies the remedies
- 15 March – A ramble about the #IdesOfMarch
- Positions available for Catholic, Latin-speaking Latin teachers
- Daily Rome Shot 691
- LENTCAzT 2023 – 22: Wednesday 3rd Week – Whom Christ loves and what He despises
- Daily Rome Shot 690
Let us pray…
Grant unto thy Church, we beseech Thee, O merciful God, that She, being gathered together by the Holy Ghost, may be in no wise troubled by attack from her foes. O God, who by sin art offended and by penance pacified, mercifully regard the prayers of Thy people making supplication unto Thee,and turn away the scourges of Thine anger which we deserve for our sins. Almighty and Everlasting God, in whose Hand are the power and the government of every realm: look down upon and help the Christian people that the heathen nations who trust in the fierceness of their own might may be crushed by the power of thine Arm. Through our Lord Jesus Christ, Thy Son, who liveth and reigneth with Thee in the unity of the Holy Ghost, God, world without end. R. Amen.
Be a “Zed-Head”!
My "challenge coin" for my 25th anniversary of ordination in 2016.
Want one? I do exchanges with military and LEOs, etc.
PLEASE RESPOND. Pretty pleeeease?Loading ...
This is really useful when travelling… and also when you aren’t and you need backup internet NOW! I use this for my DMR “Zednet” hotspot when I’m mobile. It’s a ham radio thing.
If you travel internationally, this is a super useful gizmo for your mobile internet data. I use one. If you get one through my link, I get data rewards.
Please use my links when shopping! I depend on your help.
WDTPRS POLLLoading ...
Fr. Z’s stuff is everywhere
Help support Fr. Z’s Gospel of Life work at no cost to you. Do you need a Real Estate Agent? Calling these people is the FIRST thing you should do!
GREAT causes to support
Tag Archives: form of absolution
ACTION ITEM! Form of absolution to CHANGE in 2023. OPPORTUNITY: Inform priests who have been screwing around with the form of absolution.
As of ASH WEDNESDAY – 22 February 2023 – the Novus Ordo form of absolution in English is to change slightly in these USA. There has been an official tweak of the English translation of the Latin. In 2021 the US Bishops … Read More
ASK FATHER: “I absolve you from THESE sins…”. Valid?
From a reader… QUAERITUR: I went to confession and the words said by the priest for absolution were “I absolve you from these sins” etc. Would this absolution be valid? Thank you for going to confession. KEEP GOING. This is … Read More
ACTION ITEM! Form of absolution to CHANGE in 2023. OPPORTUNITY: Inform priests who have been screwing around with the form of absolution.
Because I continue to get question in my email about bizarre things that priests do to the FORM OF ABSOLUTION, it is good to remind everyone that in 2023 the Novus Ordo form of absolution in English is to change. There … Read More
ASK FATHER: The words of absolution during confession in Latin?
From a reader… QUAERITUR: Given that Traditionis has prevented the faithful in some areas from continuing to experience the old ritual forms for the Sacraments, the question arose; what is the approved Latin for the Ordinary Form prayer of absolution … Read More
Comments Off on ASK FATHER: The words of absolution during confession in Latin?
NCReg: In 2023 the Form of Absolution Will Change for US Catholics.
NCReg: The Prayer of Absolution Will Change for US Catholics in 2023. Here’s How […] The Catholic bishops of the United States in 2021 voted in favor of the new translation of the prayer, with 182 votes in favor, 6 … Read More
ASK FATHER: Monsignor didn’t use the exact form of absolution
From a reader… QUAERITUR: I’ve confessed to a particular priest twice, and both times, he didn’t use the exact formula of absolution. Both times, he did the following things: 1) he omitted the line “and sent the Holy Spirit among … Read More
ASK FATHER: Father said “I absolve you OF your sins” instead of “FROM your sins”.
From a reader… QUAERITUR: I recently made a confession (of mortal sins) where the priest used the full absolution formula, EXCEPT, he said “I absolve you OF your sins” instead of “I absolve you FROM your sins.” Do I need … Read More
ASK FATHER: The priest said, “I forgive you” and not “I absolve you”
From a reader… QUAERITUR: Is my confession valid if the Priest says, “I forgive you” instead of “I absolve you”? Everything else sounded normal. Thank-you Once again we have an example of some jackass priest who thinks he is being … Read More
ASK FATHER: A priest complains about another priest’s form of absolution in his confession
From a priest reader… QUAERITUR: At the risk of testing your patience . . . is it valid if the Priest (after improvising the first half of the absolution formula) says: “I absolve you from all the sins of your … Read More
ASK FATHER: Priest gives absolution while I am saying Act of Contrition
From a reader… QUAERITUR: In all the time I have gone to confession, I say the Act of Contrition, and then the priest absolves me. However, the priest at my new parish does Absolution at the same time I am … Read More
ASK FATHER: Form of absolution was just “I absolve you OF your sins” instead of “FROM your sins”.
From a reader… QUAERITUR: if the priest says” of your Sins, instead of “from your Sins” in absolution would the Absolution still be valid and if it is valid could you explain where of and from differ or were they … Read More
ASK FATHER: Priest Mumbles Words of Absolution. Fr. Z says: FATHERS! Stop being JACKASSES and do it right!
FATHERS! This fellow’s note gives another example of why we priests must must must be careful and precise when giving absolution to penitents. Use the prescribed form of absolution in Latin or appropriate vernacular language and say the essential words … Read More
ASK FATHER: Would anything prevent a priest from always using the traditional formula of absolution?
From a reader… QUAERITUR: The reformed Rite of Penance added a whole bunch of stuff to the rite of confession—optional Scripture readings and so on—but I have never seen any of it used, even non-optional parts like how the priest … Read More
PODCAzT 155: Latin Forms of Absolution, Vetus and Novus Ordo
From a priest…. QUAERITUR: Fr. Z, Grace and peace. Do you have an audio pronunciation of the absolution prayer (1962) or know of a link? Thanks for the question. Here is a brief PODCAzT, which can also be a PRAYERCAzT, … Read More
ASK FATHER: How to go to confession to an SSPX priest
From a reader… QUAERITUR: I now happen to live 10 minutes’ walk from the local FSSPX chapel here in London. I don’t intend to make it my customary place for Mass (tempting as that is) unless and until a regularisation … Read More
ASK FATHER: Does the Church “supply” what is lacking in doubtful absolutions?
From a reader… QUAERITUR: I’ve heard you say that one of the cruelest things a priest can do is hear your confession and not (at least) say “I absolve you from your sins in the name of the Father, and of the … Read More
When the priest confessor doesn’t use the proper Form of Absolution. Wherein Fr. Z advises.
Everyone should go to confession regularly. That said, sometimes it can happen that you will have a less than edifying experience of the priest confessor. Do not fret! This even happened to me, recently. While out on the road, I … Read More
ASK FATHER: When confessing, do I have to hear, understand the absolution for it to be valid?
From a reader: A confessor I go to has recently made it his practice to whisper the words of absolution while I am saying the Act of Contrition. The first time he did this I did not catch it and … Read More
QUAERITUR: Form of absolution was just “I absolve you of your sins.”
From a reader: I went to confession at a neighboring parish that had recently received a 70-something priest who I know to be a bit free-wheeling as far as anything liturgical or doctrinal. This made me nervous going, but I … Read More
Ever experience a priest who doesn’t say the correct words of absolution? UPDATE
I get reams of email from people who, during confession, run into priests who don’t (or won’t) say the proper words of absolution, thus throwing them into doubts about whether or not they were validly absolved. Under another entry I … Read More