Search Fr. Z’s Blog
SHOPPING ONLINE? Please, come here first!
Your use of my Amazon link is a major part of my income. It helps to pay for insurance, groceries, everything. Please remember me when shopping online. Thanks in advance.
Try AmazonFresh Free Trial
Shop Amazon Gold Box - New Deals. Everyday
Shop Amazon Gift Cards - Instant Delivery or Free One-Day Shipping
Try Prime Discounted Monthly Offering
And you do need a Kindle! - HERE
Kindle Unlimited Membership Plans
About this blog…
“This blog is like a fusion of the Baroque ‘salon’ with its well-tuned harpsichord around which polite society gathered for entertainment and edification and, on the other hand, a Wild West “saloon” with its out-of-tune piano and swinging doors, where everyone has a gun and something to say. Nevertheless, we try to point our discussions back to what it is to be Catholic in this increasingly difficult age, to love God, and how to get to heaven.” – Fr. Z
Coat of Arms by D Burkart
CLICK and say your daily offerings!
Do you want to show some appreciation?
Do you have a faithful Catholic website that needs competent and reliable tech support?
YOUR RECENT COMMENTS
- teomatteo: Yes, get that Kitchen-Ai de attachment . Makes ravioli fun! (I also got a gnocchi ‘boa rd’ –fro m my mother-tha t is great.
- Elaine Vaccaro: My grandmothe r, who raised 10 children with my grandfathe r during the Great Depression , made her own pasta. Despite it being in my blood, I’ve yet to take the plunge. Once...
- The Masked Chicken: Dear KateD, (Slaps beak). Of courseR 30;The Shakespear e Ladies Club. https://en .wikipedia .org/wiki/ Shakespear e_Ladies_C lub The Chicken
- The Masked Chicken: KateD wrote: “I’m thinking there’s gotta be a term for an ardent fan of the Bard…” Hmm..a challenge. I accept. If you are a DC comics fan, how about, Big Bard(a)? How about, The...
- Lurker 59: Mid-sized diocesan parish, per diocese mandate capped at 25% of building fire code and required to adhere to State mask mandate. Parish requires individual s to signup for a ticket/...
- KateD: And you know what, Father! You’ve inspired me to create a Shakespear e’s Sonnets course for our curriculum this year. We will listen to your sonnets each day, so they can get a better ear...
- philothea.distracted: Since we reopened our NO parish in July we have been capped at 33% capacity. So for every available pew, two are roped off. We have never hit capacity. We are usually around...
- Gregg the Obscure: local government capped attendance at 80 and we were very close to that. Mass is livestream ed and communion distribute d for 10 min or so after Mass for those who watched...
- KateD: Ooooo! Very cool! Lucky us. :D
- Sue in soCal: Our priest emphasized that fear should not be the focus of our lives but faith in God. Our attendance is way down percentage -wise. The bishop allows us a maximum of 25. We have to...
- Michael Haz: Our TLM church is open but limited to a fraction of seating capacity. So the number of Masses was increased in compensati on for the capped attendance and the Sunday total is about the...
- Semper Gumby: AOC is a member of the Democratic Socialists of America. DSA was formed when a faction of the Socialist Party of America (1901-1972 ) later merged with another radical leftist group....
- exNOAAman: Can’ t really comment on the sermon because I’m hearing impaired and didn’ ;t catch most of it. However, I did notice a very significan t increase in attendance since my...
- WVC: @Mary Jane Thank you for your prayers. We are very much indebted to the many good people who have supported us with their prayers. I know there is little else that can explain the graces we...
- Grant M: Decrepit at forty? People aged fast back then.
- Semper Gumby: A 9 July 2019 Washington Free Beacon article on AOC’ s then-Chief of Staff, Saikat Chakrabart i: AOC Chief of Staff Wears T-Shirt Supporting Nazi Collaborat or “Bos e met...
- Fr. John Zuhlsdorf: Sonnets first, for now.
- newishconvert: I vote YES for the Psalms, Father. What a great idea. Wish I had a way to capture your rendition on a podcast listener (what are those things called?). It would be a wonderful way to...
- Jim Dorchak: Our Churches are closing tighter here in Chile.
- benedetta: Excellent! I’m looking forward to hearing these!
- Fr. John Zuhlsdorf: It is hard to go wrong with the Folger Shakespear e Library edition: US HERE – UK HERE As a matter of fact, the hardcover version is what I used in Sonnet 1.
- scrchristensen: Fr. Z, Is there a particular published collection of Shakespear e’s sonnets that you would recommend?
- Andreas: “I can no other answer make, but, thanks, and thanks, and ever thanks… 221; – The Bard, Twelfth Night
- hwriggles4: In my younger days a group of us young adults (25-39) often helped once or twice a year with a vocations awareness weekend that attracted three dioceses. Most of the younger women who...
- Baritone: Even though I did laugh at the examples Father gave, in the back of my mind, I thought, sadly, there̵ 7;s a reason these examples exist … there̵ 7;s a reason I̵...
Fr. Z’s VOICEMAIL
Nota bene: I do not answer these numbers or this Skype address. You won't get me "live". I check for messages regularly.
020 8133 4535
Books which you must have.
Don’t rely on popes, bishops and priests.
“Who is going to save our Church? Not our bishops, not our priests and religious. It is up to you, the people. You have the minds, the eyes, and the ears to save the Church. Your mission is to see that your priests act like priests, your bishops act like bishops.”
- Fulton Sheen
Therefore, ACTIVATE YOUR CONFIRMATION and get to work!
Send Snail Mail to Fr. Z
“The modern habit of doing ceremonial things unceremoniously is no proof of humility; rather it proves the offender's inability to forget himself in the rite, and his readiness to spoil for every one else the proper pleasure of ritual.”
- C.S. Lewis
This blog has to earn its keep!
PLEASE subscribe if it is useful.
That way I have steady income I can plan on, and you wind up regularly on my list of benefactors for whom I pray and for whom I periodically say Holy Mass.
For a one time donation...
I set up a
CONTINUE TO GIVE
account, which functions rather like PayPal. Some of you use it. Here is a QCode you can use with your smart phones. Try it!
Also, to receive a link to donate via Continue To Give using your smart phone SEND MESSAGE:
4827563 TO: 715-803-4772 (USA)
Some donations also come through CHASE. That works well. I don't think they take any percentage as fees.
I was at this conference last year. IT IS ON FOR THIS YEAR!
As for Latin…
"But if, in any layman who is indeed imbued with literature, ignorance of the Latin language, which we can truly call the 'catholic' language, indicates a certain sluggishness in his love toward the Church, how much more fitting it is that each and every cleric should be adequately practiced and skilled in that language!" - Pius XI
"Let us realize that this remark of Cicero (Brutus 37, 140) can be in a certain way referred to [young lay people]: 'It is not so much a matter of distinction to know Latin as it is disgraceful not to know it.'" - St. John Paul II
- Fr. Z’s Kitchen: a spiffy book and thinking ahead
- #ASonnetADay – SONNET 03
- 10 August – LIVE VIDEO Traditional Latin Mass – 1200h CDT (GMT/UTC -5): St. Lawrence
- Your Sunday Sermon Notes – 10th after Pentecost (NO: 19th Ordinary) 2020
- #ASonnetADay – SONNET 02
- 9 August – LIVE VIDEO Traditional Latin Mass – 1200h CDT (GMT/UTC -5): 10th Sunday after Pentecost
- Wherein Fr. Z is challenged to record a Shakespeare #ASonnetADay
- 8 August – LIVE VIDEO Traditional NUPTIAL Mass – 1330h CDT (GMT/UTC -5): Wedding
- Wherein Fr. Hunwicke made me laugh.
- 7 August – LIVE VIDEO Traditional Latin Mass – 1200h CDT (GMT/UTC -5): St. Cajetan
- Nun TikTok
- LCWR and CMSWR: compare and contrast
- More love from @AustenI
- A great piece about St. Damien of Molokai and a couple thoughts about AOC
- JUST TOO COOL: Feast of the Transfiguration – special blessing of grapes!
- 6 August – LIVE VIDEO Traditional Latin Mass – 1200h CDT (GMT/UTC -5): Transfiguration of the Lord
- Sun Daggars!
- URGENT: CDF responds to ‘dubia’ about the baptismal formula, “WE baptize you….”
- 5 August – Traditional Latin Mass – St. Mary “at the snow” – VIDEO: 1200h CDT (GMT/UTC -5)
- VIDEO: Beirut blast hits church during Mass. Awful.
- @BishopBarron held a secret, “invite-only” meeting about the rise of “trads”. Wherein Fr. Z opines and invites (again)
- 4 August – Traditional Latin Mass – St Dominic – VIDEO: 1200h CDT (GMT/UTC -5)
- 3 August – Traditional Latin Mass – Intention: Benedict XVI – VIDEO: 1200h CDT (GMT/UTC -5)
- ACTION ITEM! Benedict XVI “frail” and sick with bacterial infection
- Concerning COVID-1984 masks
- 2 August until midnight: “Portiuncula” Plenary (or Partial) Indulgence
- Your Sunday Sermon Notes – 9th after Pentecost (NO: 18th Ordinary) 2020
- 2 August – Traditional Latin Mass – SERMON ONLY 9th Sunday after Pentecost – VIDEO: 1200h CDT (GMT/UTC -5)
- HORRIFYING: Cathedral priests reject for confession anyone not-registered, verified by their documented GIVING in the last year!!
- PODCAzT 183: Bp. Schneider’s call for a Crusade of Eucharistic Reparation – ACTION ITEM!
Let us pray…
Grant unto thy Church, we beseech Thee, O merciful God, that She, being gathered together by the Holy Ghost, may be in no wise troubled by attack from her foes. O God, who by sin art offended and by penance pacified, mercifully regard the prayers of Thy people making supplication unto Thee,and turn away the scourges of Thine anger which we deserve for our sins. Almighty and Everlasting God, in whose Hand are the power and the government of every realm: look down upon and help the Christian people that the heathen nations who trust in the fierceness of their own might may be crushed by the power of thine Arm. Through our Lord Jesus Christ, Thy Son, who liveth and reigneth with Thee in the unity of the Holy Ghost, God, world without end. R. Amen.
Yes, Fr. Z is taking ads…
Because it matters what children read…
Be a “Zed-Head”!
I carry one of these super-strong rosaries in my spare mag pouch! The Swiss Guards have them too!
My "challenge coin" for my 25th anniversary of ordination in 2016.
Want one? I do exchanges with military and LEOs, etc. and you can make a donation.
PLEASE RESPOND. Pretty pleeeease?Loading ...
This is really useful when travelling… and also when you aren’t and you need backup internet NOW! I use this for my DMR “Zednet” hotspot when I’m mobile. It’s a ham radio thing.
If you travel internationally, this is a super useful gizmo for your mobile internet data. I use one. If you get one through my link, I get data rewards.
Please use my links when shopping! I depend on your help.
WDTPRS POLLLoading ...
“Rigid”? Pfffft. “Faithful!” No priest’s desk or kitchen is complete without one, for young, old, and priests in general.
Fr. Z’s stuff is everywhere
Help support Fr. Z’s Gospel of Life work at no cost to you. Do you need a Real Estate Agent? Calling these people is the FIRST thing you should do!
GREAT causes to support
Tag Archives: sacrament of penance
From a reader… QUAERITUR: I tend to get very nervous in confession and I do better if I just stick to the script so to speak so I don’t start rambling. Is there a formula for confessing mortal sins that were forgotten … Continue reading
In the past I have posted some prayers for priests to say before and after hearing confessions, as well as before and after making their own confessions. Here is a prayer for people to say for the priest, for the … Continue reading
At Crisis there is an article which argues for the end of “reconciliation rooms”. I have always called them “lawsuit rooms”. I’ve been arguing for this ever since I could argue anything. I think he over plays a particular issue but, … Continue reading
Before anything else… Lots of people are really angry, indeed enraged. Horrid situations such as those caused by men like McCarrick are painful. We can make choices about how to view them. Anger is appropriate, but not to the point … Continue reading
From a reader… QUAERITUR: Would it be better (in order for the priest to have more time with the penitent) to make an appointment for confessing VERY grave sins (something even the most lenient person would say needs confessing) or … Continue reading
From a reader… QUAERITUR: Dear Father, is it okay if I didn’t said the sin I was about to confess because my mind blocked? I didn’t finished it with the lines “for these and all my sins…” because I got … Continue reading
From a reader… QUAERITUR: Hoping you can help me approach this situation correctly in future. Confession at parish is daily from 11:30 to 12 and mass starts at 12:10. Many times I arrive early and there is already a line so I … Continue reading
ASK FATHER: Priest Mumbles Words of Absolution. Fr. Z says: FATHERS! Stop being JACKASSES and do it right!
FATHERS! This fellow’s note gives another example of why we priests must must must be careful and precise when giving absolution to penitents. Use the prescribed form of absolution in Latin or appropriate vernacular language and say the essential words … Continue reading
At First Things there is a good piece about toughness when it comes to preaching and discipline and gentleness in mercy, especially with penitents in the confessional. It is hard for priests to find that balance out en plein air … Continue reading
From a priest… QUAERITUR: I’m a priest who occasionally gets asked to hear confessions in a jail where the only way to speak to a person is through glass and a telephone headset. Without using the phone, one can barely hear the other … Continue reading
When it is time to draw people in, do those in charge show ugly modern churches bereft of statues, windows and obviously Catholic elements? SURE they do! When it is time to make a movie and portray something about … Continue reading
When I was very young, I used to curl up with the dictionary. One word would lead to another and to another. I wound up building my vocabulary as if by capillarity. I sometimes do this with tweets, specially with … Continue reading
ASK FATHER: Would anything prevent a priest from always using the traditional formula of absolution?
From a reader… QUAERITUR: The reformed Rite of Penance added a whole bunch of stuff to the rite of confession—optional Scripture readings and so on—but I have never seen any of it used, even non-optional parts like how the priest … Continue reading
Back in December, First Things published a piece by the former Prefect of the CDF, Gerard Ludwig Card. Müller on the sacrament of penance. His observations on objective sin and subjective guilt, about knowledge, etc., are germane to a whole raft … Continue reading
From a reader… QUAERITUR: If in Confession I forget a mortal sin (I do examine my conscience but my memory is bad), but then remember AFTER having told the priest that I have finished confessing, and he is talking, should … Continue reading