About this blog…
“This blog is like a fusion of the Baroque ‘salon’ with its well-tuned harpsichord around which polite society gathered for entertainment and edification and, on the other hand, a Wild West “saloon” with its out-of-tune piano and swinging doors, where everyone has a gun and something to say. Nevertheless, we try to point our discussions back to what it is to be Catholic in this increasingly difficult age, to love God, and how to get to heaven.” – Fr. Z
Coat of Arms by D Burkart
Search Fr. Z’s Blog
SHOPPING ONLINE? Please, come here first!
Your use of my Amazon link is a major part of my income. It helps to pay for insurance, groceries, everything. Please remember me when shopping online. Thanks in advance.
Try AmazonFresh Free Trial
Shop Amazon Gold Box - New Deals. Everyday
Shop Amazon Gift Cards - Instant Delivery or Free One-Day Shipping
Try Prime Discounted Monthly Offering
And you do need a Kindle! - HERE
Kindle Unlimited Membership Plans
Do you want to show some appreciation?
YOUR RECENT COMMENTS
- Semper Gumby: Cardinals Sapieha and Wyszynski inspired Seminarian Wojtyla and Fr. Wojtyla. One day (I don’ t recall some of the details) perhaps around 1960 Bishop Wojtyla was working at his...
- acardnal: Semper, thanks for that interestin g tidbit.
- Semper Gumby: robtbrown: Good point about Cardinal Wyszynski, but that began with Cardinal Sapieha during WW II- an actual Prince of the Church who inspired Wyszynski. Sapieha ran a clandestin e...
- Semper Gumby: God bless the March for Life. acardnal: batting a thousand as usual. Julia Child̵ 7;s first foray into cooking, years before she graduated Cordon Bleu in Paris, was for a 1943 OSS...
- robtbrown: HvonB, That situation existed everywhere and with everybody. About the only exception was Poland, because of Wynszynski . Others who resisted were persecuted .
- acardnal: Julia Childs. A woman who loved butter, cream, cigarettes , wine and, oh yeah. . . she was a spy in the OSS during WW2. What woman!
- acardnal: Give our regards to Fr. Kevin Cusick, LCDR (Ret. USN). I’m sure he will be there! We miss him on Twitter.
- Facta Non Verba: Happy to be there today to march for life. I do think that life is winning. (In addition to seeing the President, maybe I’ll even get a glimpse of Father Z somewhere. )
- RAve: God is too good to me. Four of my children (ages 25, 20, 17 and 16) chose to travel over 1000 miles to the March For Life this year. AMDG
- HvonBlumenthal: Robtnrown The close relationsh ip between Franco’s government and the church had two unfortunat e consequenc es: the clergy became complacent and there was no habit among the laity...
- hilltop: Barron Von Stueben’s statue is perhaps the very best statue in Washington , a city filled with sculpture. Julia’s kitchen is one of the best places in America in any given era. “Unite the...
- Kukla65th: The one downtown is St Mary Mother of God. That’s where the Nellie Gray Mass takes place after the march each year. But they have the TLM every Sunday and other days all year. There are...
- omgriley: I’m visiting in March. Do you know of any church that celebrates the TLM in the area?
- Charles E Flynn: You can download pdf files of Design Quarterly 104 “Julia’s Kitchen” and the large poster of the kitchen at A Timeline of Design History (near the bottom of the page). DQ 104 was...
- Kathleen10: How delightful it is that President Trump will be the first president ever to speak at the March for Life. My heart is full of gratitude for him, for such a man to be our president. His...
- tho: Father, comparing the Democratic harangue to “an incessant leaf blowerR 21; made my day.
- sciencemom: Are you familiar with https://ww w.ecatholi c.com/ ? That may not be quite what you are looking for though.
- Kent Wendler: Maximilian 75: Amendment 13: Section 1 Neither slavery nor involuntar y servitude, except as a punishment for crime whereof the party shall have been duly convicted, shall exist...
- teomatteo: Markus, yes. Why someone, who publicly calls themselves ‘dev out catholic 8217;, would purposely not attend an event in Washington that simple says, ‘val ue human life, at...
- Markus: Mamajen, Interestin g, the first President to do so. Makes one wonder about the so called “cat holic̶ 1; politician s in DC that will not be there.
- Semper Gumby: Vox Laudis: You bet, a hearty salute to the M1 tank and tankers. veritas vincit: Well said, fully agree. The First Amendment also contains the Establishm ent and Free Exercise claus...
- robtbrown: In the stats provided by Latinmassd ir.org it is no surprise that the US, France, and GB are leading the way. On the other hand, it is a bit surprising , and more than a bit disappo...
- PostCatholic: A seminary rector I had in college had a chalice carved from some rare and sacred African wood, then fitted with a gold bowl, the rim of which overlapped the outside for about half an...
- bcstudent: You’d be surprised! We have a weekly TLM at Jesuit-run Boston College.
- PostCatholic: Welcome to our swamp!
Fr. Z’s VOICEMAIL
Nota bene: I do not answer these numbers or this Skype address. You won't get me "live". I check for messages regularly.
020 8133 4535
Don’t rely on popes, bishops and priests.
“Who is going to save our Church? Not our bishops, not our priests and religious. It is up to you, the people. You have the minds, the eyes, and the ears to save the Church. Your mission is to see that your priests act like priests, your bishops act like bishops.”
- Fulton Sheen
Therefore, ACTIVATE YOUR CONFIRMATION and get to work!
Send Snail Mail to Fr. Z
“The modern habit of doing ceremonial things unceremoniously is no proof of humility; rather it proves the offender's inability to forget himself in the rite, and his readiness to spoil for every one else the proper pleasure of ritual.”
- C.S. Lewis
This blog has to earn its keep!
PLEASE subscribe if it is useful.
That way I have steady income I can plan on, and you wind up regularly on my list of benefactors for whom I pray and for whom I periodically say Holy Mass.
For a one time donation...
I set up a
CONTINUE TO GIVE
account, which functions rather like PayPal. Some of you use it. Here is a QCode you can use with your smart phones. Try it!
Also, to receive a link to donate via Continue To Give using your smart phone SEND MESSAGE:
4827563 TO: 715-803-4772 (USA)
Some donations also come through CHASE. That works well. I don't think they take any percentage as fees.
2020 TLM Pilgrimage to the Holy Land
As for Latin…
"But if, in any layman who is indeed imbued with literature, ignorance of the Latin language, which we can truly call the 'catholic' language, indicates a certain sluggishness in his love toward the Church, how much more fitting it is that each and every cleric should be adequately practiced and skilled in that language!" - Pius XI
"Let us realize that this remark of Cicero (Brutus 37, 140) can be in a certain way referred to [young lay people]: 'It is not so much a matter of distinction to know Latin as it is disgraceful not to know it.'" - St. John Paul II
CLICK and say your daily offerings!
- Washington DC DAY 1: Goofing around, a kitchen and a quote
- My View For Awhile: To Washington DC, NON-Impeachment Edition
- A site with statistics for the growth and availability of the Traditional Latin Mass?
- 21 January St. Agnes: “Intercede and beg a return of orthodoxy, sanity and sanctity to the Roman Church!”
- OLDIE PODCAzT 127: The Eve of St. Agnes and a Bleak Midwinter
- A diocese smells the coffee: starts planning for decline of the Novus Ordo and growth of the TLM
- ASK FATHER: Glass chalices…. again?
- A few things of interest: TLM pilgrimage opp, new book, against pendulums, and Warhol the hack
- Your Sunday Sermon Notes – 2nd Sunday – 2020
- Wherein Fr. Z is moved to pray to martyred nuns, newly discovered, about something that happened today. – UPDATED
- A note of thanks. Mass for Benefactors.
- Remember #UniteTheClans ? Wherein Fr. Z rants.
- URGENT PRAYER REQUEST for a young priest diagnosed with ALS – #padresfight
- WDTPRS – 2nd Ordinary (NO) & 2nd Sunday after Epiphany (TLM): God knows our needs better than we do.
- Card. Sarah has met with Benedict XVI as the haters stir “incessant, nauseating, dishonest controversy” #BOOKGATE
- UPDATE! ASK FATHER: Use of a Catholic church for the “ordination” of woman Episcopalian “bishop”
- ASK FATHER: I discovered that the hosts used are from flour of a variety of grains. What to do?
- “Let the Jesuits come to me. With hands in the air and without algorithms.” Fr. Z says: Let the Jesuits GO TO CHINA.
- CQ CQ CQ: Ham Radio Thursday – ZedNet reminder and a throat tightener
- Some stuff from my mail
- My View For Awhile: north
- More about #BOOKGATE and a Litany Against Modernists
- UPDATE – HILARITY ENSUES- Lib reactions to the new book from Card. Sarah and Benedict XVI
- To save the world, we have to save the liturgy. Wherein Fr. Z rants.
- Summary of FACTS about the controversial new book by BOTH Card. Sarah and Benedict XVI
- 14 January – Festum Asinorum #FeastoftheAss Day! (No, it’s not a special Jesuit holiday.)
- Letter from Card. Sarah in which he forgives his persecutors
- “With all the priests, we pray: Save us, Lord, we perish!” A snippet from the new Benedict/Sarah book
- FIRST REMARKS about the new book by Card. Sarah and Benedict XVI
- Your Sunday Sermon Notes – Holy Family/Baptism – 2020 – Fr. Z rants about word accents and microphones
Let us pray…
Grant unto thy Church, we beseech Thee, O merciful God, that She, being gathered together by the Holy Ghost, may be in no wise troubled by attack from her foes. O God, who by sin art offended and by penance pacified, mercifully regard the prayers of Thy people making supplication unto Thee,and turn away the scourges of Thine anger which we deserve for our sins. Almighty and Everlasting God, in whose Hand are the power and the government of every realm: look down upon and help the Christian people that the heathen nations who trust in the fierceness of their own might may be crushed by the power of thine Arm. Through our Lord Jesus Christ, Thy Son, who liveth and reigneth with Thee in the unity of the Holy Ghost, God, world without end. R. Amen.
Yes, Fr. Z is taking ads…
Because it matters what children read…
Be a “Zed-Head”!
I carry one of these super-strong rosaries in my spare mag pouch! The Swiss Guards have them too!
My "challenge coin" for my 25th anniversary of ordination in 2016.
Want one? I do exchanges with military and LEOs, etc. and you can make a donation.
PLEASE RESPOND. Pretty pleeeease?Loading ...
WDTPRS POLLLoading ...
“Rigid”? Pfffft. “Faithful!” No priest’s desk or kitchen is complete without one, for young, old, and priests in general.
Fr. Z’s stuff is everywhere
Help support Fr. Z’s Gospel of Life work at no cost to you. Do you need a Real Estate Agent? Calling these people is the FIRST thing you should do!
GREAT causes to support
Help Monks in Wyoming (coffee – UPDATED LINK) and Norcia (beer) and the wonderful "Soap Sisters" of Summit, NJ!
Please follow me on Twitter!
If you travel internationally, this is a super useful gizmo for your mobile internet data. I use one. If you get one through my link, I get data rewards.
Tag Archives: reconciliation
From a reader… QUAERITUR: if god forgives sins why cant i confess my sins to god and ask god to forgive me does that suffice for confession This is one of the oldest and most common Protestant objections to the … Continue reading
Card. Piacenza to priests: “Wanna be a modern priest? HEAR CONFESSIONS!” Whereupon Fr. Z really rants.
There is a good piece at La Bussola Quotidiana (in Italian) about the Sacrament of Penance. I’ll give you a sample, but I don’t have the energy to translate the whole thing. Prelude: Apparently there was recently something called “Earth … Continue reading
From a reader… QUAERITUR: Father, In John 20:22-24, it says “And when he had said this, he breathed on them, and said to them, ‘Receive the Holy Spirit. If you forgive the sins of any, they are forgiven; if you … Continue reading
As I was rooting around for something I posted in the past, I found this which, by coincidence, I posted 3 years ago to the day. Here are the prayers I usually say before and after hearing confessions. They are taken … Continue reading
At The Catholic Thing there is a piece by Regis Martin about the Sacrament of Penance. When was the last time you went to confession? When was the last time you made that good and complete confession of all mortal sins … Continue reading
GO TO CONFESSION! What a victory for the demons of Hell it has been to run down the Sacrament of Penance until it is barely thought of in some parishes. Fathers, if you are parish priests and have the obligation … Continue reading
Under another entry here a commentator asked: Can absolution be granted where no purpose of amendment exists? If granted, with no purpose of amendment, does it even ‘take’? No. And No. In normal circumstances, when there isn’t danger or some … Continue reading
I have occasionally exhorted you to … GO TO CONFESSION! I shall continue to do so. I take seriously my duty to try to keep as many of you out of Hell as I can and get as many as … Continue reading
From a reader… QUAERITUR: In our parish, when our Associate Pastor is hearing Confessions, he comes from behind the screen, opens the door and “greets” each person, in view of all waiting in line, then is very insistent upon hearing … Continue reading
From a reader… QUAERITUR: Our Dean plans to hold ‘The Rite of Reconciliation of several penitents with General Confession and Absolution‘ as part of the Jubilee Year of Mercy. In a note inserted in our parish newsletter, [Good… it’s in print.] … Continue reading
From a reader… QUAERITUR: My family and I are converting to the church from Protestantism. We are a family of six and we have been turned away from confession at multiple churches because the half hour before Vigil and Sunday Mass wasn’t … Continue reading
From a reader… QUAERITUR: Is it grave matter to laugh or joke when in need of Confession? (That is, when one has committed mortal sin and intends to go to Confession at the next opportunity.) Aristotle points out that man … Continue reading
Card. Schönborn: “sacraments” in Infamous Footnote 351 means mainly the Sacrament of Penance (Reconciliation)
The other day Pope Francis told journalists during the airplane presser on his return to Rome from Lesbos that, to understand the controversial bit in Amoris laetitia Infamous Footnote 351, we should have recourse to Card. Schönborn’s address at the presentation of the Post-Synodal Exhortation … Continue reading
From a reader… I would like to know why many parishes do not offer the Sacrament of Penance on Holy Saturday? There’s only 1 parish in my area that hears confessions on Holy Saturday and I often wonder is there … Continue reading
From the great Bp. Philip Egan of the Diocese of Portsmouth (England) comes this! Go to Confession regularly, bishop urges diocese The Bishop of Portsmouth has appealed to his diocese to attend Confession regularly in a pastoral letter, which will … Continue reading