HAM RADIO W9FRZ STATUS
Search Fr. Z’s Blog
SHOPPING ONLINE? Please, always come here first!
I had to change the way that people go to amazon to buy things because... you know... why make it easy?. So, just click the link below. Once you're in, you're good to shop.
Try AmazonFresh Free Trial
Shop Amazon Gold Box - New Deals. Everyday
Shop Amazon Gift Cards - Instant Delivery or Free One-Day Shipping
Try Prime Discounted Monthly Offering
And you do need a Kindle! - HERE
About this blog…
“This blog is like a fusion of the Baroque ‘salon’ with its well-tuned harpsichord around which polite society gathered for entertainment and edification and, on the other hand, a Wild West “saloon” with its out-of-tune piano and swinging doors, where everyone has a gun and something to say. Nevertheless, we try to point our discussions back to what it is to be Catholic in this increasingly difficult age, to love God, and how to get to heaven.” – Fr. Z
Coat of Arms by D Burkart
Do you want to show some appreciation?
Send Snail Mail to Fr. Z
My Twitter – @fatherz
Beautiful, heirloom quality Rosaries
Fr. Z’s Blog is a Founding Member of…
“The modern habit of doing ceremonial things unceremoniously is no proof of humility; rather it proves the offender's inability to forget himself in the rite, and his readiness to spoil for every one else the proper pleasure of ritual.”
- C.S. Lewis
This blog has to earn its keep!
PLEASE subscribe if it is useful.
That way I have steady income I can plan on, and you wind up regularly on my list of benefactors for whom I pray and for whom I periodically say Holy Mass.
For a one time donation...
I set up a
CONTINUE TO GIVE
account, which functions rather like PayPal. Some of you use it. Here is a QCode you can use with your smart phones. Try it!
Also, to receive a link to donate via Continue To Give using your smart phone SEND MESSAGE:
4827563 TO: 715-803-4772 (USA)
Some donations also come through CHASE. That works well. I don't think they take any percentage as fees.
2020 TLM Pilgrimage to the Holy Land
YOUR RECENT COMMENTS
- teomatteo: Maybe the Superior General is gunning to be the Vatican 217;s official ‘sym bologist 8217;.
- Anita Moore, O.P.(lay): I guess, if the devil is a symbol of evil, then God must just be the symbol of good.
- Father G: There is film footage of the incorrupt body of Saint Charbel Makhl?f being removed from his coffin when the tomb was opened in 1950. His body is almost skeletal and there is no hair on...
- HighMass: And just think these items were used before Paul VI and Bugnini! Then they were tossed, thankfully they are being found and used again! Praise God!
- maternalView: So Jesus was tempted in the desert by a symbol, a way of acting evil or the evil present in human life???
- Julian Barkin: One more thing to add: eBay is a treasure trove for EF liturgical items. While quality varies, “gems” can be sought out for personal purchase from numerous sellers. I’ve found a few...
- Julian Barkin: Hello Fr and readers. Long time reader here, and i’v exhumed in from time to time. For this person’s queries, perhaps my serving blog can be of assistance . My blog is Servimus Unum...
- Amerikaner: What would it take for good Jesuits to break and create a reformed branch of the Jesuits?
- Simon_GNR: As regards the wording used, my experience on being received into full communion with the Church was similar to Mariana2 8217;s. I would have liked to make the Tridentine Confession of...
- teomatteo: Timely post for me. A communion rail cloth? Necessary. Where to get one? Custom needed i would think.
- Mariana2: Thanks, Father! All I did was say ‘I believe and profess all that the holy Catholic Church believes, teaches, and proclaims to be revealed by God’ , and was immediatel y...
- robtbrown: Tony O, You quoted someone else, assuming it was me. It was not. An easy way to understand the question is that ChristR 17;s Life and Death (re-presen ted in the Eucharist) is the...
- Pius Admirabilis: There are incorrupt bodies of people who were not Saints, and never even were baptized. One famous example is the Prince Bishop Dietrich (Theodor) von Fürstenber g, Bishop and...
- maternalView: @RLseven I’ve found better organizati ons than Catholic Relief Services to donate to. CRS is an arm of the USCCB getting millions from the government and supporting abortion and...
- Mike: My son told me that Newman specifical ly requested a certain type of moldy dirt be put into his grave so he could “unto dust return”. I’ll try to find the source of this claim as soon as he...
- Kerry: From G.E.M Anscombe, On Transubsta ntiation, https://ar chive.seco ndspring.c o.uk/artic les/anscom be.htm It is easiest to tell what transubsta ntiation is by saying this: little child...
- Semper Gumby: DN: That is why you should do your research, I provided you a starting point. Also, note the difference between straightfo rward and flippant. Cheers.
- Spinmamma: Thank you for this very informativ e post. I learned quite a lot from it, and was reminded I need to review The Catechism again.
- mo7: A goat rodeo? lol.
- Chonak: Where is the pastor getting his inspiratio n, the Dickeyvill e Grotto?
- -DN-: The Soviet request to do what? Bomb civilians? Your flippancy is counter-pr oductive.
- TonyO: Unless by “enthusias m for” he means “insuffici ently zealous opposition to”! Archlaic, good point: even the most energetic and “ent husiastic& #8221; US bishops who liked the old Mass...
- Suburbanbanshee: lgreen 515 — Adoration is not about feeling a connection to Christ (although one often does). It’s about having that connection by doing something for Him. “Wil l...
- Hugh9: There is a book available “The Incorrupti bles” ; by Joan Carroll Cruz which describes the phenomena of incorrupt bodies of Saints. YouTube has some videos of allegedly incorr...
- AndyMo: The altar is Christ, not an art project.
CLICK and say your daily offerings!
- 5th Glorious Mystery: The Coronation of Our Lady
- Instead of a syncretistic Synod (“walking together”) about the Amazon, here’s a better idea.
- The Devil Wears SJ. The Jesuit Superior General: The Devil is a symbol, not a person.
- “He would have fled forever, into the hell of exile from God. But the sight of the vestments overcame him.”
- 22 August: Mary’s Immaculate Heart and Queenship
- ASK FATHER: Getting necessary gear for the Traditional Latin Mass
- PODCAzT 175: Traditional Profession of Faith of Converts
- ASK FATHER: Incorrupt bodies of saints
- ASK FATHER: How to explain the Eucharist to a Jesuit ( @ThomasReeseSJ )?
- ASK FATHER: Bring pebbles to church so we can make a new altar
- 20 August: St. Samuel, Old Testament prophet
- Jesuit Thomas Reese against Transubstantiation. Wherein Fr. Z responds.
- “LaCI and Beans” back at it again! Attack US Bishops for their enthusiastic implementation of law
- PODCAzT 174 and PRAYERCAzT: The Latin of the Traditional Rite of Baptism of a Child
- Your Good News
- Monday Morning Brain Jumpstart: some good reading
- “My sons playing Mass ‘against pagans’.
- Your Sunday Sermon Notes – Our attitude at the altar
- That tragic Portland parish, the mistreatment of the priest. Fr. Z’s solution: “Let’s make a deal!”
- Is cutting off the money the way to go?
- ASK FATHER: Can I wear a scapular on my bullet proof vest?
- BOOK: Grandmother and the Priests
- What is a “liturgist”? Some thoughts.
- WDTPRS – 20th Ordinary Sunday: Live in love to have later Love Himself
- Adventures in “gay” ad blocking
- Lighter Fare For Friday
- ASK FATHER: @BishopBarron on the Pew Research and lack of belief in the Eucharist. Fr. Z rants a little and issues an invitation.
- The latest podcast on the upcoming Synod from Damian, Unbound. “@HolySmoke” is right!
- ASK FATHER: Why didn’t Benedict XVI say the #TLM? How can we get one? What does the future look like?
- @JamesMartinSJ praises preaching by a religious sister. Let’s consider what he praised!
Let us pray…
Grant unto thy Church, we beseech Thee, O merciful God, that She, being gathered together by the Holy Ghost, may be in no wise troubled by attack from her foes. O God, who by sin art offended and by penance pacified, mercifully regard the prayers of Thy people making supplication unto Thee,and turn away the scourges of Thine anger which we deserve for our sins. Almighty and Everlasting God, in whose Hand are the power and the government of every realm: look down upon and help the Christian people that the heathen nations who trust in the fierceness of their own might may be crushed by the power of thine Arm. Through our Lord Jesus Christ, Thy Son, who liveth and reigneth with Thee in the unity of the Holy Ghost, God, world without end. R. Amen.
Yes, Fr. Z is taking ads…
Because it matters what children read…
Be a “Zed-Head”!
I carry one of these super-strong rosaries in my spare mag pouch! The Swiss Guards have them too!
My "challenge coin" for my 25th anniversary of ordination in 2016.
Want one? I do exchanges with military and LEOs, etc. and you can make a donation.
PLEASE RESPOND. Pretty pleeeease?Loading ...
WDTPRS POLLLoading ...
Fr. Z’s stuff is everywhere
Help support Fr. Z’s Gospel of Life work at no cost to you. Do you need a Real Estate Agent? Calling these people is the FIRST thing you should do!
GREAT causes to support
Help Monks in Wyoming (coffee – UPDATED LINK) and Norcia (beer) and the wonderful "Soap Sisters" of Summit, NJ!
Please follow me on Twitter!
If you travel internationally, this is a super useful gizmo for your mobile internet data. I use one. If you get one through my link, I get data rewards.
Nota bene: I do not answer these numbers or this Skype address. You won't get me "live". I check for messages regularly.
020 8133 4535
Daily Archives: 8 October 2006
In all the hype about limbo these days, keep some things in mind. When he met with the International theological Commission at the end of their work, Benedict XVI didn’t do two things: he didn’t give them a normal post-meeting … Continue reading
This has come in via Rorate Coeli: Now the magazine of Continental Ultra-progressivism… Golias, the not incredibly popular magazine of French Ultra-progressive Catholic ideals, also publishes, in its current weekly issue, the information that a document on the liberalization of … Continue reading
In the handy volume called Denziger-Schönmetzer (L 5 – pp. 924-5)) there is an appendix on the question of limbo: Here is the text, in Latin (I will add some few abbreviations for clarity): Peccati originalis poena est carentia … Continue reading
The verb inebrio as you might guess means Ã¢â‚¬Å“to make drunk, inebriateÃ¢â‚¬Â. Pasco means, Ã¢â‚¬Å“to pasture, drive to pasture, to feed, attend to the feeding of; nourish; cherish, cultivateÃ¢â‚¬Â and also Ã¢â‚¬Å“feast, gratifyÃ¢â‚¬Â. Many of you will instantly make the connection of this verb with the moment on the shore of the Sea of Galilee when after His resurrection Jesus heals Peters betrayal and gives him his special role by saying: Ã¢â‚¬Å“Feed my lambsÃ¢â‚¬Â¦ Pasce agnos meosÃ¢â‚¬Â¦ pasce oves measÃ¢â‚¬Â¦ pasce oves measÃ¢â‚¬Â¦Ã¢â‚¬Â (John 21:15-17). Transeo is, Ã¢â‚¬Å“to go over or across, to cross over, pass over, pass by, passÃ¢â‚¬Â or also Ã¢â‚¬Å“to go or pass over into any thing by transformation, to be changed or transformed into a thing.Ã¢â‚¬Â For example, you might like the proverbial chicken Ã¢â‚¬Å“cross overÃ¢â‚¬Â the road or like the shepherds in Luke 2:15 Ã¢â‚¬Å“go overÃ¢â‚¬Â to Bethlehem to see what had happened. Were you to cross over a river, surely you would get wet and your clothes would be tinged and imbued with water. Anything that passes through dye is certainly tinged. Our souls are tinged and permanently marked with the Christian character when we are baptized. We Ã¢â‚¬Å“transitÃ¢â‚¬Â from old death over to new life. Interestingly, the verb inebrio, according to soberingly thorough Lewis & Short Dictionary can also signify of colors, Ã¢â‚¬Å“to saturateÃ¢â‚¬Â as in amethystum inebriatur Tyrio (cf. naturalist C. Plinius Secundus (Pliny the Eldar +AD 79) 9, 41, 65, Ã‚Â§ 139). Perhaps you will remember that in the WDPTRS column for Post communio the 4th Sunday of Lent when I digressed about the purple dye used in the ancient world made from the murex, a seashell toting critter possessed of a tiny gland producing a purple goo endowed with a marvelous staining quality, the best coming from Tyre. The dye produced from the muricidae tinted the hideously expensive cloth that was eventually the Ã¢â‚¬Å“imperial purpleÃ¢â‚¬Â. The odd little adverb quantenus we saw back on the 22nd Sunday of Ordinary Time. It means Ã¢â‚¬Å“how far, to what extentÃ¢â‚¬Â and also Ã¢â‚¬Å“whereÃ¢â‚¬Â. The first meaning of the verb percipio is Ã¢â‚¬Å“to take wholly, to seize entirelyÃ¢â‚¬Â and then by extension Ã¢â‚¬Å“to perceive, feel and Ã¢â‚¬Å“to learn, know, conceive, comprehend, understand.Ã¢â‚¬Â The verb sumo, sumpsi, sumptum basically signifies Ã¢â‚¬Å“to take, take up, lay hold of, assumeÃ¢â‚¬Â though by extension it is, Ã¢â‚¬Å“to take for some purpose, i. e. to use, apply, employ, spend, consume.Ã¢â‚¬Â Thus, it can mean Ã¢â‚¬Å“consume, eatÃ¢â‚¬Â. Continue reading